• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would You Have Preferred Pokemon: Sword and Shield The Series Over Journeys?

If they’d based Journeys around Magnolia's lab they could've done a happy merger of the SwSh adaptation and the JN format. I always thought that was going to happen, and it’s rather baffling they decided to stick to Kanto. Sword and Shield games had already touted the idea of researchers in training (Sonia and Hop), so it'd have been perfect for the premise.

If they’d based Journeys around Magnolia's lab they could've done a happy merger of the SwSh adaptation and the JN format. I always thought that was going to happen, and it’s rather baffling they decided to stick to Kanto. Sword and Shield games had already touted the idea of researchers in training (Sonia and Hop), so it'd have been perfect for the premise.
Hell had they done that, the fact that Go’s partner was Scorbunny and Koharu has a pet Yamper despite both being from Kanto would have been less forced. They could have had their cake and eat it too but simply chose not to for some reason.

Myabe even if they kept the Cherise Labs, they could've just literally made in Galar, under Prof Magnolia and I'm still shocked they did not did that. Not only it feels more of the same (cuz Yess... just what we needed, more Kanto), but they could've done that AND kept the ''adventures in every region'' thing.

It is said a lot here but Journeys as a concept is fine. It honestly...just needs a fine tuning.

Though hard to say if that happens: for all we know the Japanese kids really love Go focus over Ash focus. ....Then again I don't have any concept of how the JA fans feel about Goh beyond the Pixiv Ash x Goh spikes.

I have stated this before, but as much as I like and want to like it even more, I gotta come clean guys: Journeys sounded really good as a concept, but to me, they are not really using it to it's full potencial.

At first, the concept of not being anchored to a single region was NICE. Really. But I think that the main problem is that we are stuck on Kanto way too much.

So instead of revisiting older locations and characters to see how they are doing now, and rematching them for the PWC (i.e the Korrina episode), and meeting a whole new region with whole new characters (I think the Bea episodes and that one were they went through the Wild Area are perfect examples of this)... There are basically 4 eps in a row in Kanto, one in a random region where they basically don't do anything of value, and here we go back for MORE Kanto. The most recent Unova ep is a great example here. I can't be the only one who's tired of this region already. I mean, how long since we had a PWC battle? You know... what was supossed to be the main plot point of the series??????

It literally feels like we are almost stagnant at this point. I do REALLY like this series, but I can't help but feel frustated about it, tbh.

Considering how often PWC battles have been basically footnotes in other episodes, I have a really hard time seeing it as the main plot point of the series. The PWC isn't quite on the level of being an afterthought as the Island Challenge was, at least not yet. It is Ash's main goal and they remind the audience before starting each episode that he wants to battle Leon, but the main focus is much more on their different trips throughout different regions as they research different Pokemon, even if way too many of them are centered in Kanto and the trips in other regions don't take advantage of the different setting.

Considering how often PWC battles have been basically footnotes in other episodes, I have a really hard time seeing it as the main plot point of the series. The PWC isn't quite on the level of being an afterthought as the Island Challenge was, at least not yet. It is Ash's main goal and they remind the audience before starting each episode that he wants to battle Leon, but the main focus is much more on their different trips throughout different regions as they research different Pokemon, even if way too many of them are centered in Kanto and the trips in other regions don't take advantage of the different setting.

Yep. But I do think it tells a lot when the two ''main points'' of your entire show are being underused. Not only do we barely get a BIG PWC match, but why are we exploring Kanto,,, well,,, again?

I get that Goh is a new pair of eyes to the story, but we as an audience have already seen all of that. I still wish we could see more of Galar and the other regions in the future, besides a single filler-ish epsiode in the middle of the Kanto Ocean.

Since Sun and Moon, the Pokemon anime has begun to break the traditional formula in many ways. Pokemon Journeys breaks the formula entirely by opting to focus on a story spread across all regions with elements of Pokemon Go rather than the current generation alone. Would you have preferred to see a more traditional series set in Galar with Ash or a new character focusing on a badge quest? Or do you think Journeys is just fine the way it is.
In a way, yes. To be honest, I'd love to see a series that is adapted more faithfully to Pokémon Sword and Shield. In fact, I wished to see more of the Galar region and the Pokémon living there, as well as Ash participating in the Gym Challenge, traveling with new friends (I'd include Gloria among them), catching new Pokémon, etc.

Last edited:
After starting to watch the series my self proply I still think that this series should of been galar focused to be consistent with the other series so its focused on one region , like the first series was set in kanto for example and the previous was set in alola so this I think would of been set in galar and focused on the galar region and focused on as and the characters in galar so that galar has more screen time like the rivals and gymleaders of galar.

In a way, yes. To be honest, I'd love to see a series that is adapted more faithfully to Pokémon Sword and Shield. In fact, I wished to see more of the Galar region and the Pokémon living there, as well as Ash participating in the Gym Challenge, traveling with new friends (I'd include Gloria among them), catching new Pokémon, etc.
Me to it be cool for ash to travel with gloria but also after seeing a few of the gymleaders in the journys series like bea and raihan it be cooling they had more screen time and add som of the other leaders also they could of built up to the darkest day a bit better instesdcif putting it in the very first season of ther journys series.

I'll miss not having a lot of Galar trainers. I really liked a lot of the designs and personalities of the Sword and Shield characters. Nessa is obviously a fan favorite but someone like Hop as Leon's brother would have made a good rival. Crazy thing is that a lot of these characters could have been used in the PWC arc but there was a lot of refighting old opponents (Volkner, Korrina), fighting randoms and fighting Bea 3 times. If Ash had battled Nessa, Hop, Piers, Melony etc.. in this tournament, it would have been cool but as it is, I'll always feel a sense of 'what if'.

It really is baffling to me that they didn't have more Galar Gym Leaders in the PWC. You'd think that more than two Gym Leaders from Galar would be interested in battling Leon. I would have greatly preferred seeing Ash battling them as opposed to battling random one shot trainers both on and off-screen. It certainly would have helped to make the PWC look more impressive than it actually is to me. I still remember wondering to myself why are we wasting time with the PWC if Bea, the third Gym Leader of Galar, is so strong that it took Ash multiple attempts to defeat her.

It really is baffling to me that they didn't have more Galar Gym Leaders in the PWC. You'd think that more than two Gym Leaders from Galar would be interested in battling Leon. I would have greatly preferred seeing Ash battling them as opposed to battling random one shot trainers both on and off-screen. It certainly would have helped to make the PWC look more impressive than it actually is to me. I still remember wondering to myself why are we wasting time with the PWC if Bea, the third Gym Leader of Galar, is so strong that it took Ash multiple attempts to defeat her.
I guess the anime is starting to transition to the games canon where different gym leaders are around the same level (with rare exceptions like Blue and Raihan) but choose their team depending on the strength or number of badges of their opponent. That way, in the PWC, someone like Bea could go all out and still be a really strong opponent. That said, Bea should have been defeated in the second match and you 100% nailed it when it came to randoms. Those random trainers could have been replaced with game trainers that use Galar Pokémon. Even when they did use them, it felt weird. Marnie should have been fought way earlier in the series instead of in hyper class IMO and even then it was just a 1 v 1. Just a lot of missed opportunities in the PWC that screwed over the Galar trainers and gym leaders from the game

The Galar Leaders don't all need to be in PWC. Nessa, for example, could've been the Inteleon Trainer that inspired Sobble.
While that's true, I think having the Galar Gym Leaders in the PWC would have been preferable. I think that their appearances would be potentially more memorable as opponents for Ash. It also just seems like such a waste for Ash to not battle all of these new Gym Leaders, especially when a good portion of the PWC has been against one shot characters. I guess they wouldn't need to be in the PWC for Ash to battle them, but most of Ash's battles have been against PWC opponents in this series.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom