• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SPOILERS: Masters Eight Discussion/Speculation Thread

Greninja was removed from the opening and replaced by Mega Lucario. I hate how they are having Lucario replace Greninja and if they have Lucario beat Alain’s Charizard I will be sick.
Lucario could be seen as Greninja's spiritual successor, so one could say it's defending its master's honor. None of Ash's Pokémon have yet beaten Alain's Charizard, so it technically doesn't matter which one of Ash's Pokémon takes it down.
Another evidence that there will be NO rematch against Alain. People should stop dreaming and face reality
No one who's not behind the scenes know 100% how things will go yet.

It could also be that Tobias simply never challenged the Champion League. My personal head canon is that he vanished from existenyafter serving his purpose.
Yeah seeing as how Flint was shown battling Cynthia on television shows that Tobias probably didn't even get to face her,even if he did it would result in a hard loss.There's also no point in bringing him back for M8 either because he was simply a plot device/road block whose only purpose was to prevent Ash from winning the sinnoh league even though realistically he should have won after defeating his toughest rival at the time.
I think that Cynthia could get a Gmax Hatterene, since it hasn't been shown yet and I doubt Diantha would have one.
Either one would be fine. Isn't Diantha seen as one of the weakest champions after getting embarrassed by Ash-Greninja when it had a power overload?

Either one would be fine. Isn't Diantha seen as one of the weakest champions after getting embarrassed by Ash-Greninja when it had a power overload?
Yes, but since she has Gardevoir and a Mega stone, there's no point in her having a Hatterene. Cynthia on the other had has no Mega stone for Garchomp.

Yes, but since she has Gardevoir and a Mega stone, there's no point in her having a Hatterene. Cynthia on the other had has no Mega stone for Garchomp.
That we know of. Cynthia could have easily acquired a Mega stone for Garchomp and a Key Stone for herself during the long period she was absent from the anime. She is a Champion, after all.

That we know of. Cynthia could have easily acquired a Mega stone for Garchomp and a Key Stone for herself during the long period she was absent from the anime. She is a Champion, after all.
I'd rather her have a Hatterene since it's such a weird Pokémon to leave out.

Yeah. If Brock and Misty were able to beat Ash to Mega Evolution then surely Cynthia could have it by now.

I'd rather her have a Hatterene since it's such a weird Pokémon to leave out.
I mean, it didn't stop them from leaving out Galarian Meowth and Snom of all things. And not just Hatterene, but its entire evolutionary line has been left out. So honestly, I'll be shocked if Cynthia has one. I'm thinking at this point Hatenna's line may not even debut in this series at all. Sad........:(
Yeah. If Brock and Misty were able to beat Ash to Mega Evolution then surely Cynthia could have it by now.
Oh absolutely. And Cynthia's Garchomp is already a nigh-unstoppable beast without Mega Evolution. Can you imagine it with Mega Evolution? It'll be like......Alains' Mega Charizard X on steroids. Yeesh.......:oops:

No ones going to talk about Greninja beating Alain (unless it happens in the finals which isn’t going to happen) just like no one talks about the first round of the playoffs compared to the final round. Even though the M8 is a bigger stage, it would have been better if Greninja beat Charizard at the finals of the Kalos League like it should have.
If we do get Greninja beating Charizard in the M8 or in an exhibition match then it might seem that I’m coming across as “you’ve got what you’ve wanted, why are you complaining”. It’s because everyone will talk about Ash beating Leon/Cynthia whoever and not him beating Alain if it happens earlier. And exhibition matches have no stakes.

This series is not about Greninja.

Anyway, if the opening isn't misleading about Mega Lucario vs. Leon's Charizard, then Ash deserves to lose. Pikachu is obviously the better choice.

I hope to see Dragonite take down Cynthia's Garchomp, but I am not holding my breath.

Anyway, if the opening isn't misleading about Mega Lucario vs. Leon's Charizard, then Ash deserves to lose. Pikachu is obviously the better choice.

I hope to see Dragonite take down Cynthia's Garchomp, but I am not holding my breath.
Openings being misleading is nothing new. I mean in BW they showcased Charizard facing Reshiram but that never happened.

So, how do folks think the battles will play out? I heard someone suggest it may be two 3-on-3 battles followed by a full battle? I think that could be likely as the battles wouldn't get as boring/justify bringing Ash's reserves back, which it looks like the writers have been avoiding this series as far as PWC fights go.

This would also allowed Lucario and Pikachu to both get a big win, and possibly another Pokémon too.

I don't think writers will make the same shi*ty move as in Kalos league finals (Greninja Aura Boy VS Steroid Chzd). If the final battle will be between Lucario and Charizard (Leon's obviously) then Lucario will win. That's obvious.

Greninja was the biggest disappointment and failed as an ACE. He lost all battles against the main rival. ALL OF THEM.
Infernape, Charizard did what they had to do. They did their job. Greninja was a failure in the end and we don't need it anymore. Especially for some battle against Alain. Greninja lost his chance and can be forgotten.

So, how do folks think the battles will play out? I heard someone suggest it may be two 3-on-3 battles followed by a full battle? I think that could be likely as the battles wouldn't get as boring/justify bringing Ash's reserves back, which it looks like the writers have been avoiding this series as far as PWC fights go.

This would also allowed Lucario and Pikachu to both get a big win, and possibly another Pokémon too.
QF and SF definitely 3 VS 3.
Finals 6 VS 6.

QF - against Lance:
Dracovish, Sirfetch'd, Pikachu 70% (OR Lucario 30%)
Final battle - Pikachu/Lucario VS Gyarados

SF - against Cynthia:
Dragonite, Gengar, Lucario 70% (OR Pikachu 30%)
Final battle - Garchomp VS Dragonite

Finals - against Leon:
All of his Journeys team

Last edited:
Come on, why would they bring Alain back and NOT have him battle Ash? Alain is the only non-champion in the Master 8, they could've easily just put Drake in there instead or something. And why would Kalos of all regions get 2 trainers in the Master Class? The only region that consistently had only 1 established Champion other than the in-game player, except for Sinnoh which at the very least had recent remakes so it still has more reason to get 2 Master Class trainers than Kalos.

Ash vs. Alain just seems so much more likely than Ash vs. Lance, and if I'm wrong I'll take the L like a big boy.

Come on, why would they bring Alain back and NOT have him battle Ash? Alain is the only non-champion in the Master 8, they could've easily just put Drake in there instead or something. And why would Kalos of all regions get 2 trainers in the Master Class? The only region that consistently had only 1 established Champion other than the in-game player, except for Sinnoh which at the very least had recent remakes so it still has more reason to get 2 Master Class trainers than Kalos.

Ash vs. Alain just seems so much more likely than Ash vs. Lance, and if I'm wrong I'll take the L like a big boy.
Alain VS Steven in QF with Steven winning is most likely what will happen. Alain beating Steven would be totally BS as he couldn't even become champion in Kalos and Diantha is considerably weaker than Steven.

Alain VS Steven in QF with Steven winning is most likely what will happen. Alain beating Steven would be totally BS as he couldn't even become champion in Kalos and Diantha is considerably weaker than Steven.
Why can't Alain battle Ash in the QF instead?
Plus there's just no reason to bring Alain back for a tournament with Ash and NOT have Ash battle him. They could've chosen any other character but they chose Alain. There is no other reason to choose him.

I don't think writers will make the same shi*ty move as in Kalos league finals (Greninja Aura Boy VS Steroid Chzd). If the final battle will be between Lucario and Charizard (Leon's obviously) then Lucario will win. That's obvious.

Greninja was the biggest disappointment and failed as an ACE. He lost all battles against the main rival. ALL OF THEM.
Infernape, Charizard did what they had to do. They did their job. Greninja was a failure in the end and we don't need it anymore. Especially for some battle against Alain. Greninja lost his chance and can be forgotten.
All of Ash's aces have lost big battles. Greninja served as one very well. Just because it never won against Alain doesn't mean it wasn't very strong and get some impressive wins. It was also a big player during the crisis after the Kalos League.

Speaking of the Kalos League, I thought the final battle was nicely done. Ash might have lost, but he sure gave Alain a run for his money.
Quite possibly the worst decision ever made,it was supposed to redeem itself from that embarrassing loss against Brandon's Dusclops way back in AG.
I don't think that loss needed any redemption. Ash won the battle as a whole, and that knockout came from a Frontier Brain Pokémon. The strongest Frontier Brain, even.
May I ask why do you think it is the most likely option? Why do you treat Ash vs. Alain as an unrealistic idea?

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom