• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN110: The Battle Royale of Betrayal!

I feel like Goh should have won the battle between him and Tokio, but Tokio still gets three tokens because he wanted to withdraw for the battle for unselfish reasons.

Like, there is no way Gary is gonna be eliminated early in the next mission and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense the winner getting more than 4 tokens (Goh needs 5) and we can safely assume Gary gets at least 2, meaning Goh needs about 8 tokens.

I feel like Goh should have won the battle between him and Tokio, but Tokio still gets three tokens because he wanted to withdraw for the battle for unselfish reasons.

Like, there is no way Gary is gonna be eliminated early in the next mission and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense the winner getting more than 4 tokens (Goh needs 5) and we can safely assume Gary gets at least 2, meaning Goh needs about 8 tokens.
I felt Goh should have gotten tokens because he felt the danger of the trap and/or because he stopped Tokio from forfeiting (so Goh didn't chose the easy path). He did win 2 tokens for ending in 2nd place (and the other top 4 trainers got 1 token each).

Also, Goh doesn't need that much tokens, does he? He needs to end in the top 3. He now is one token behind on the (shared) top 3. He needs 2 tokens to jump over the top 3. However, since those trainers alsof can gain extra coins, Goh better gets more than 2. But 8 is too much I think. Goh doesn't need to jump over Gary.

It seems those 2 rivals from this episode will be in the same trial as Gary and Goh. They are now in 2nd and (tied) 3th place. So if they stay behind without tokens, Goh could at least pass those 2 with 3 tokens. And my guess is Tokio will compete elsewere with other candidates, like Gary did this episode. If Tokio wins his challenge and denies other competers the maximum amount of tokens, the top 3 could be 1) Gary, 2) Tokio, 3) Goh if Goh manages the score at least 3 tokens.

Also, they decided this episode to cut of every challenger who didn't have at least 4 tokens. Meaning that at least mathematically people with 4 tokens should be able to end in the top 3 with the last mission.

I wonder what would happen if the number 3 spot ends on a draw. Is there a tiebreaker we don't know about. Will there be an extra challenge for those people? Or will we never know because it will not happen?

But we'll see.

Last edited:
Ok. Thx. I have no intention of watching this episode. Not to mention it is the height of rudeness, as if it never happened at all.
I don't think it was done out of rudeness. It's simply not relevant to the events of this episode, and will definitely be brought up again later when the time is right.

I don't think it was done out of rudeness. It's simply not relevant to the events of this episode, and will definitely be brought up again later when the time is right.

True, but they could have Asahi congratulate him anyways (Not bothered by them not deciding to do it though, just saying they could have done it as a possibility).

A fun episode overall. It has an interesting setup and it was nice to see Goh and Horace working together and becoming closer, talking more about their dreams and eventually choosing to battle instead of giving up. The betrayal from the new rivals was executed well, and the final battle was quite great with the way it synergized the environment with Inteleon's abilities.

My minor complaints would be that unlike previous Project Mew episodes it didn't involve researching or understanding Pokemon better, and that Koffing and Jumpluff should have been replaced by wild Pokemon since it was very weird that no one lived in the ship.

Is Horace's Gardevoir going to sound more or less like a Gardevoir in the dub? Do you think there should be an episode where they have a Gardevoir and a Gallade both appear at the same time?

Last edited:
A fun episode overall. It has an interesting setup and it was nice to see Goh and Horace working together and becoming closer, talking more about their dreams and eventually choosing to battle instead of giving up. The betrayal from the new rivals was executed well, and the final battle was quite great with the way it synergized the environment with Inteleon's abilities.

My minor complaints would be that unlike previous Project Mew episodes it didn't involve researching or understanding Pokemon better, and that Koffing and Jumpluff should have been replaced by wild Pokemon since it was very weird that no one lived in the ship.
To be fair, in the games, there weren't any wild Pokemon in Sea Mauville outside of those living in the water (and also Spiritomb and Lugia). Realistically, though, there totally should've been wild Pokemon living there.

...y'know, now that I think about it, it would've been interesting if this episode involved the teams trying to find/capture Spiritomb before the others.

I think this episode was better than I expected. It was sweet to see Goh trying to convince Tokio to battle him , even if he could lose. We know that Goh will qualify, but Goh doesnt know this, so he really felt like he was sacrificing something.

I liked the setup and the general idea of the episode, with Goh doing the mission alone without Ash in the way, and teaming up and battling his way trough. Sadly, the absolutely dreadful animation ruined everything else.

Honestly Tokio is making some good points, I wish they addressed Project Mew's reasoning better. Not just "let's be as exclusive as possible despite our project being public knowledge", but also "let's literally disrupt a nature reserve to make our private challenges".

Honestly Tokio is making some good points, I wish they addressed Project Mew's reasoning better. Not just "let's be as exclusive as possible despite our project being public knowledge", but also "let's literally disrupt a nature reserve to make our private challenges".
I mean the project is public, but where mew is , I'm pretty sure they keep private

And I'm sure all the smog/spores from a small army of koffing and jumpluff won't cause lasting damage to an enclosed environment

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom