• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
With Kalos done, now Hoenn's the last region that hasn't had any major continuity (except Wallace ig). May's only in a flashback and Max isn't anywhere. Sceptile hasn't shown up either, which is weird cause most the other reserves did

Also hoping for Brandon, since he can tie into the Regis for Project Mew

With Kalos done, now Hoenn's the last region that hasn't had any major continuity (except Wallace ig). May's only in a flashback and Max isn't anywhere. Sceptile hasn't shown up either, which is weird cause most the other reserves did

Also hoping for Brandon, since he can tie into the Regis for Project Mew
Drake?

Yeah the AG cast isn't going to get any reunion or nostalgic ep like all the others:

Misty/Brock got a classic Kanto style reunion in SM complete with their old clothes, classic teams and even Jigglypuff returning. And they may appear together this series.

DP had both Dawn solo and then a DP trio and arc reunion in the Arceus specials that literally continued Team Galactic's plotline from DP. I never thought Dawn and Brock would be seen together again or Piplup/Croagunk and Cynthia.

BW has Iris so far and Cilan at least got a flashback.

XY had both Bonnie/Clemont, Korrina return multiple times, Serena, Greninja and soon Alan. They got the best treatment so far.

SM has the first Alola return which was good, a Sophocles return ep, a second Alola episode coming up and I imagine Lillie will get something before this arc ends.

AG just really got a one-off Drake episode that had no flashback. Obviously Wallace is more of a DP reference in the anime since he never appeared in AG. So overall May/Max and the AG series itself has gotten no nostalgic reunion ep or arc like all the others. It does feel like one whole era of the anime is absent this series almost as if it's not relevant.

The weird thing about the lack of AG characters is that Hoenn itself is reasonably well represented:

- Yes, but I feel that few episodes actually deal with the regions. From the little I have seen, several episodes that take place in other regions could just as well have happened anywhere else.

-I think the exception is, perhaps, Sinnoh, since elements related to the legendaries and game story are usually addressed in order to propagate BDSP and Legends.

- I can't help but consider that this is the reason that only two episodes took place in Alola, the region that has characteristic elements more strongly ingrained in its image. Producers' preference for more generic approaches, in addition to the fact that Alola is too the previous region, made it wise to abandon these islands.

Last edited:
I think the difference is not much reflects Ash's story in AG. Every other series is getting plotlines or characters mined from their series. Drake was only in one ep in Hoenn so he's hardly a representative of Ash's arc there. Every other series is getting a nostalgic episode or reunion, yet one whole series is not. The minor reference we get to May is for the DP anime same with Wallace.

But nothing for the season itself. It's why one whole era of the anime feels absent in Journey's.

Every other series is getting a nostalgic episode or reunion, yet one whole series is not. The minor reference we get to May is for the DP anime same with Wallace.

- I disagree, both May's and Wallace's appearances were intended to reference the Hoenn region more than the DP anime.

- Wallace is certainly far better known for his relevance to the third-gen games than his minor role in DP, which, in fact, was intended to contextualize May's reappearance.

-The protagonist of AG, of course, is much better known for her saga and generation than for her tiny participation in the following saga.

- Also, are you going to tell me that Wallace and Ash's mention of Steven was also meant to reference DP? Or that Chloe's Contest Costume was also a reference to DP?

Last edited:
Of all the characters to promote from referential cameo to full appearance... :mad:

Last edited:
So only Paul is left now he'll probably be the last to show up, unless Alan or Iris get eps reintroducing them before Master Class begins.

There's also that scene with Dawn and Koharu but maybe it was just for the OP

What merchandise is that? Also, if there is another Sinnoh arc, I hope it features a Grand Festival with a battling round and shows Dawn finally winning a Grand Festival.
I'm afraid I've forgotten when and what, but there was Sinnoh themed merch of Girantina and Shaymin, among others.
Dawn coming back makes it feel even more likely.

Last edited:
Judging by the titles the Paul episode might be the last returning cameo character. Unless we get some eps later on, it doesn't seem like Misty will be getting an episode now. I suppose it's possible they could come to watch the tournament at some point.

Looks like Misty and Cilan may not be showing up this series either.

Judging by the titles the Paul episode might be the last returning cameo character. Unless we get some eps later on, it doesn't seem like Misty will be getting an episode now. I suppose it's possible they could come to watch the tournament at some point.

Looks like Misty and Cilan may not be showing up this series either.
It still seems pretty early to judge that when we still have at least a few months left for the series. I wouldn't be too shocked if Cilan didn't appear, but it would be weird to not have Misty show up when they spend a good chuck of Journeys in Kanto and her Gym probably wouldn't be far away from the lab where Ash and Goh live in.

It still seems pretty early to judge that when we still have at least a few months left for the series. I wouldn't be too shocked if Cilan didn't appear, but it would be weird to not have Misty show up when they spend a good chuck of Journeys in Kanto and her Gym probably wouldn't be far away from the lab where Ash and Goh live in.
It would be weird to have her appear after the tournament unless it's just a Pallet town celebration or something.

Either way I feel like if they wanted to make a visit to Cerulean Gym it would have happened by now. My guess is the writers counted the SM cameos as her recent appearance so they didn't feel the need to do the same thing again

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom