• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon game trivia

If the player picks Turtwig, Dawn's team in the post-game rematches is almost exactly like that of her anime counterpart, just fully evolved: Empoleon, Togekiss, Typhlosion, Mamoswine, Lopunny, and Bellossom. Bellossom replaces Pachirisu, due to Dawn always having a "Grass/Water/Fire" trio in her team.

If you want to know about agonies, there is a chance for an uncatchable Pokemon to be shiny. Whether that would be Wally's Ralts, Ghost Marowak, Juniper's Minccino, the Weedle the Old Man catches or even Black/White Kyurem.
You can now include the Starly that attacks you when you first choose your starter in BDSP, in that list. I saw a youtuber encounter shiny uncatchable starlys, twice, while shiny hunting for a Turtwig.

Well not trivia for a Pokémon specific game, overworld sprites for a Gundam, Penguin and Pikachu exists in the files for Dragon Quest I and II on the Game Boy Color (Back when the US Version was still localized as Dragon Warrior).

In Pokémon Emerald, the Battle Factory's coding is slightly faulty. One line of code was accidentally left unaltered when it was copied from Ruby and Sapphire's Battle Tower. As a result, the opposing Pokémon's IVs do not increase as a result of your Battle Factory streak, but based on your current winning streak at the Battle Tower. Meanwhile, the IVs of the Pokémon you rent at the start of every round increase correctly based on your Battle Factory winning streak. And since you can swap Pokémon with your opponent after every match, you can end up getting low IV Pokémon yourself in the later matches of a round.

So this monster from Dragon Quest V: Hulagan - Dragon Quest Wiki

Is recruitable. And the first US port which came out a couple years prior to Black and White, one of the four default names for Hulagan is Alola.

So.. wasn't sure where to post this and seems we have no article for the Pokémon 2000 World Tournament event itself, while it is not directly something obscure in a game itself; it is an obscure piece of trivia worth noting I think.

The Pokémon 2000 World Tournament had a promotional event in Sydney, Australia where players would be on a Pokémon-themed pirate ship and facing off against Team Rocket who would try to steal the Champion's trophy with the Pokémon on their ship ultimately defeating Team Rocket. Seems the event took place over a couple of days meaning the show most likely only happened once.

Came across this after watching a Sakura Stardust video. Seems the event also had kiosks setup to let players get an preview of Pokémon Snap, Stadium, Gold, and Silver. A unique set of cards were also given to players (although, those cards have most likely been reprinted at some point). Archived footage

not sure if this has been mentioned before, but i've heard sun/moon's maps have a total of like 50 lillies throughout the maps for every time she appears in a cutscene. apparently sonic forces has a similar thing to this with infinite? however sun and moon does not have a glitch where there's just a bunch of lillies just goddamn standing there at the edge of the map

Remember that random Black Belt whom Lance blasts with Dragonite's Hyper Beam in the Johto games before entering Team Rocket's HQ? That same Black Belt actually reappears in Pokémon Masters EX, where he mentions that he's still terrified of Hyper Beam.

In a form of Black Comedy, there's also an achievement called "Dragonite, Hyper Beam!" that you can achieve in Masters EX by using Lance's Dragonite's Hyper Beam on a Pokémon owned by a Black Belt ten times.

1649435428446.png
1649435439214.png

I think Hisuian Typhlosion's colour scheme is based on its original shiny.

In the French version of PLA, even though their names don't evoke them, the Miss Fortunes say that their symbols (?) are the plants they are named after in the Japanese version. For example, Garance (Clover) says that her symbol is the bamboo.

Also, on the blackboard in the Security Corps office, portraits of them withot their facial paint are hanged up, with Clover having a different haircut, and the sisters have their Poké Balls attached to their clothing in the same way as the Security Corps has.

I've been playing around with this recently so I'll share. In PMD1 there are Pokemon tied to Pokemon only used for events. This includes Munchlax, the Statue, and the Decoy which can be hacked in to be played as. The statue in particular has no other movement sprites tied to it and in dungeons the pallet glitches so that it's completely blacked out - apparently if you make it your partner Pokemon in a dungeon it stays still and does not move.

Here's one that I had realized a while back, but forgot to add it here:
The two Galactic buildings are of course in Eterna City and Veilstone City, which are perfect places for them. Why? Well, Gardenia and Maylene would struggle against them. They have tons of Zubats and Golbats and some even pack the Bronzor Line. Sure, Lucario would fair better due to being a Steel Type. It would still struggle, since not every Pokémon Team Galactic uses are weak to fighting. If I recall, it's only the Glameow and Houndour Lines. Sure, the Sneasel Line is also weak to fighting, but only Cyrus uses them.

Remember the Murkrow from the Team Rocket HQ that mimics Executive Petrel's voice and unlocks the transmitter room in HeartGold and SoulSilver? Well, in Pokémon Masters EX, Petrel actually owns that very Murkrow, now a Honchkrow, and tells it not to say the password of a locked door - only to accidentally say it himself anyway seconds later and unlock the door.

Back
Top Bottom