• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Plot Bunny Zoo

The other day, I got an idea for a fanfic setting inspired by the Newverse after thinking about what I do and don't like about it again. The basic idea behind that is that Arceus sends Pokémon and humans-turned-Pokémon to another world. Here's what I've thought up so far:
  • I'm not entirely sure if this should be a My Little Pony crossover or not.
  • The theme of the Newverse, I've noticed, is valuing the bonds you've formed above anything material, and making the most of what was forced upon you by forming new bonds. This is my favourite part, so I'll definitely explore it.
  • To avoid overwhelming the other world, Pokémon appear in weekly batches that just so happen to correspond to generations. (I don't know where Alolan formes would fit into this.) This means that I'll have to make the most of what I've forced upon myself and get creative with my choices.
  • I already have the main characters in mind. A problem with a lot of Newverse fics - and I'm guilty as charged - is that they get overwhelmed with loads and loads of characters.
How do I avoid making this feel too derivative?

So I created a coordinator character, and one aspect of her in writing some preliminary drabbles starring her is that she keeps a vlog, which she updates near daily on the Pokeworld equivalent of YouTube (which I have named MyTube)

My question is, would you read a contest journey story with vlog "posts" (written scripted interludes)? How can I incorporate her vlog into the story?

So I created a coordinator character, and one aspect of her in writing some preliminary drabbles starring her is that she keeps a vlog, which she updates near daily on the Pokeworld equivalent of YouTube (which I have named MyTube)

My question is, would you read a contest journey story with vlog "posts" (written scripted interludes)? How can I incorporate her vlog into the story?

I mean, I definitely would. If I'm understanding this correctly, I'm doing something similar with Snowfall (Which I need to update lol) and no one seemed opposed to it. Although, the way I'm doing it, every chapter has a short journal segment at the end, and it sounds like you're gonna make vlogs whole separate chapters. If you do have vlogs as whole separate chapters, be sure you've got enough content!

I have an idea for a Pokemon live action movie fan script that I've been toying with for years that would be based both on Generation 1 and 3 (mainly ruby and sapphire.) with inspiration from the adventures manga. The story-line would follow Brendan and Red (these names are just place holders for me right now.) as Red searches for his father who was kidnapped a year ago and Brendan as he learns about Team Aqua and Team Magma and their plans and starts working with May and others to stop them from destroying the world. I don't wanna give too much away cause I'm still working out some things but the thing/person connecting these two story-lines together would be Giovanni and Team Rocket.

I've been sitting on this idea for like.... two or three years (probably more) and started a fic here last year, but admittedly it wasn't well written. But I really want to expand on the concept of "Ace Trainers." The games don't really describe where these Trainers come from and how they are selected to earn the title of "Ace Trainer." The only thing that I can recall is that they are strong, have highly intelligent A.I. and generally appear at the end of the game on the Victory Road routes.

I'm thinking that perhaps Ace Trainers are trainers that are hand selected by the Pokemon League to serve as the "Reds" for the region? Basically identified as uniquely powerful trainers that can compete in tournaments while also assisting with stopping criminal organizations (because random trainers shouldn't be able to do that, right?).

Anyway, the premise of the fic I had in mind is (initially by sheer dumb luck) the protagonist gets an invitation to an Ace Trainer screening process in the Unova region and somehow makes it to the next stages of the process. However, he realizes that being an Ace Trainer isn't exactly everything it's made out to be.

Don't want to give away too much of the plot too soon, but part of my inspiration stems from the Kingsman films (action/spy flick) and a few of the other cliche novels that everyone has read (dystopias, chose one books, etc.). Given the limited info regarding Ace Trainers, I'd create my own lore for it. I chose the Unova region because I wanted to incorporate some of America "evils" and challenges (inequality, governmental issues, difference in social class, etc.) seeing as how Unova is based on New York, but I may be open to other regions as well.

Any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Don't want to give away too much of the plot too soon, but part of my inspiration stems from the Kingsman films (action/spy flick) and a few of the other cliche novels that everyone has read (dystopias, chose one books, etc.). Given the limited info regarding Ace Trainers, I'd create my own lore for it. I chose the Unova region because I wanted to incorporate some of America "evils" and challenges (inequality, governmental issues, difference in social class, etc.) seeing as how Unova is based on New York, but I may be open to other regions as well.

I'm going to be presumptuous, since you're trying to avoid spoilers and so I don't have specifics. Which is good, spoilers are bad, but please excuse my broad-strokes suggestions.

It sounds like your fic's tackling social issues. That means you're serving double-duty; shift A as a writer, shift B as a commentator. If your technicals fall flat or your commentator credibility falters, then your fic will suffer. To dull that, you could try a comedic, satirical, or dramedic tone. Or go full-on drama if you got the chops. Or flat-out admit bias and write from personal experience. You know yourself better than I.

If this isn't already planned, I think a Slice of Life-style Chapter 1 is warranted. Then, when your protagonist joins the Ace Trainers, your readers will have the everyman's perspective. Then the issues behind the scenes could be revealed as affecting everyday life. It's a thin tightrope, so I'd recommend you research whatever issues you'll discuss. Then, sprinkle in your research lightly, to reinforce your credibility without sacrificing story.

To do that, I'd recommend adding some social-commentary media to your influences. To Kill a Mockingbird is a must-read for gentle-handed political commentary. And if you want action spy stuff, They Live is a classic action-heavy, politically-conscious movie with lots of secret-keeping (but DEFINITELY avoid the memes). And the deputising of Ace Trainers gives me Judge Dredd vibes.

For the region: if you go political, it's usually best to use an original region unless you're satirizing Pokémon itself. Using canon locations to preach politics can leave a bitter, childhood-ruining taste. But turning canon locations against their maker could serve a punk-esque tone, if you prefer.

Hope I got you thinking. I'm confident enough in my opinions to post, but others know more than me. Keep your fic credible with good technicals, and I think you have a winner.

I'm going to be presumptuous, since you're trying to avoid spoilers and so I don't have specifics. Which is good, spoilers are bad, but please excuse my broad-strokes suggestions.

It sounds like your fic's tackling social issues. That means you're serving double-duty; shift A as a writer, shift B as a commentator. If your technicals fall flat or your commentator credibility falters, then your fic will suffer. To dull that, you could try a comedic, satirical, or dramedic tone. Or go full-on drama if you got the chops. Or flat-out admit bias and write from personal experience. You know yourself better than I.

If this isn't already planned, I think a Slice of Life-style Chapter 1 is warranted. Then, when your protagonist joins the Ace Trainers, your readers will have the everyman's perspective. Then the issues behind the scenes could be revealed as affecting everyday life. It's a thin tightrope, so I'd recommend you research whatever issues you'll discuss. Then, sprinkle in your research lightly, to reinforce your credibility without sacrificing story.

To do that, I'd recommend adding some social-commentary media to your influences. To Kill a Mockingbird is a must-read for gentle-handed political commentary. And if you want action spy stuff, They Live is a classic action-heavy, politically-conscious movie with lots of secret-keeping (but DEFINITELY avoid the memes). And the deputising of Ace Trainers gives me Judge Dredd vibes.

For the region: if you go political, it's usually best to use an original region unless you're satirizing Pokémon itself. Using canon locations to preach politics can leave a bitter, childhood-ruining taste. But turning canon locations against their maker could serve a punk-esque tone, if you prefer.

Hope I got you thinking. I'm confident enough in my opinions to post, but others know more than me. Keep your fic credible with good technicals, and I think you have a winner.

Dramedic is probably the tone that I'm definitely going for. Meant to be an easy, enjoyable read but still having some level of substance within it. That tends to be what I write more than anything.

Definitely going to do some research for this one since I'll be taking my time writing this. I'll try not to make it too complicated though, otherwise it would be more "work" than "enjoyment." More than anything though, I want this to be a good enough exercise for me to start and finish a fic, hopefully branching out to my own personal work once it's done. I definitely wanna have some fun with this so wish me luck with that!

I haven't read TKAM in... man, years lol! But thanks for the suggestions on things to watch and read. I'm definitely going to pick it up again soon and check those two films you mentioned out.

I've considered making an original region, but felt that doing that may sway readers away in terms of being unfamiliar with an original region. For that same reason, Kanto or Johto were options as well as far as a specific region to focus on. Sinnoh is my personal favorite, but I wanted to venture away from writing that. Anything newer (Kalos, Alola, and now Galar) I haven't considered. My biggest fear is the amount of world building it would take to create an original region/location. Not sure if I'm strong in that area just yet. Then again, you won't know until you try right?

I appreciate your opinion and it's definitely got me thinking!

I decided to incorporate the vlog bits into the story itself, titling each chapter/episode after what an entry about that topic would look like if my character made an entry.

You could always talk about her editing the video and watching it, or checking how many likes she has. You could also include little snippets of what she says in the background. I'm thinking of something like this:

Brianna opened MyTube and immediately checked her channel, clicking on her latest video. The intro music began playing.
"Hi, and welcome to Brianna's Vlogs! It's another sunny day in Slateport and I just came second in my Cool contest-"
She scrolled down to read the comments, nervous and excited after the effort she had put into it.

Obviously, it might not suit your style and that little bit I wrote could probably do with some editing. ^_^

EDIT: Apparently I can't read, you've already decided on how you want to write about it. I feel pretty sleepy right now. Hope this helps though.

I've had, like, ten different concepts for a "various Nintendo gods hang out" fic bouncing around my head but that's about as far as I've gotten with any of them.

I've had, like, ten different concepts for a "various Nintendo gods hang out" fic bouncing around my head but that's about as far as I've gotten with any of them.
I've seen you talk about this on Zelda Universe as well... is it something like all those Smash Bros. fancomics, where the characters co-exist and make fun of each other?

I need some suggestions on how to play out a certain mini-arc of sorts in my series "Dawn of Courage". The arc in question is when the party heads out to sea to get to the next continent to continue their mission fighting Muu.

First off, the party will be hampered by sexist sailors who try to prevent Nina from boarding their ship (think Zig and his crew from Breath of Fire 4), even using a Bite Piranha familiar (which is actually five piranhas in one familiar) as an attempt to intimidate her. It results in Nova using his Gorgon Viper, Elora, to attack them, further resulting in the Guild Master firing the sailors (as this is a recurring issue despite the fact that the guild that runs the ships doesn't share their sexist views), and needing to get new sailors to replace them, which takes a couple of days. When out at sea the gang has to fish Dominic (who by that point has been solidified as an antagonist) out of the ocean due to the threat of Captain Boneacuda and his zombie sharkmen army, forcing a truce between them until they get to the next continent (which Dominic predictably tries to milk). They're informed by the Ningyo Clan (merfolk) about Captain Boneacuda's army and are requested to destroy it before they can break the barrier protecting the Ningyo Clan's underwater kingdom. After dealing with Captain Boneacuda's army Dominic gets kicked off the ship because he broke the truce and left to be eaten by a Jelly (naturally, he survives somehow), allowing the cast to get to the next continent and move into the next arc.

That's the basic gist of it. I need a few ideas or suggestions on how to flesh it out more, like events that occur during the trip (ie: Dominic's attempts to milk the truce) or what happens during the time between the sexist sailors and waiting for the new crew to replace them (ie: the sexist sailors trying to get revenge). After all, this'll be a multi-chapter arc so I need a few other ways to expand on it. Thanks in advance.

So a fellow writer friend and I were chatting last night and the idea of what happened to Kamon (GSC rival, for the curious) after the events of GSC came up. I know I don't want a carbon copy of what Ethan/Lyra or Ash went through in Johto, as battling for badges would bring back painful memories for him. Whatever he plans to do (whether it involves Pokemon or not), could possibly be introduced to him by a party member--since the show implies there are contests in Johto, would it also be a stretch to imagine the Pokemon Musical is in Johto (or Waku overall), and he use his new acting skills as a kind of therapy to come to terms with what happened in GSC?

Last edited:
So, I’ve been dabbling with a random idea as of late: a crossover story between My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Star VS The Forces of Evil.

The general plot is some kind of hybrid between SVTFOE and Equestria Girls, with the first arc merging the wacky magical shenanigans of the first with the themes of friendship and redemption of the latter.

Among things there would be the turbulent relationship between Star and Sunset, with the pony-turned-human wanting to steal the Royal Wand to break the spell that turned her into a human and to fulfill her destiny of becoming an alicorn princess (based on the comic The Fall of Sunset Shimmer, which tackles that theme).

Other random ideas I had involved Thorax the Changeling working for Ludo to steal the wand (with the bird promising a way to have Thorax accepted in the hive again), Tom and Autumn Blaze being therapy partners as they both work hard to keep their flaming anger in check, a connection between Mewni and the characters of MLP Gen 1 (with Megan Williams having a relevant role in the foundation of both Mewni and Equestria), and so on.

Not sure if I’ll ever work on this concept, but I had a lot of fun brainstorming the various relationships and worldbuilding.

I want to bounce an idea off of anyone who wants to respond to it.

If you've read Dawn of Courage you'll know that Muu has attempted to attack certain locations in hopes of destabilizing Edyn. Well, the idea I have that I want to see if it sounds good involves such an attack. There is a place called Fairy Forest where, well, fairies live. The Goddess Tree, which is in the center of the forest, protects a mana aquifer, which feeds into other mana aquifers across the globe. This mana aquifers help keep the planet alive and stable. One of Muu's plans is to contaminate the mana aquifer in Fairy Forest (and destroy the forest in the process) so it'll cause the other mana aquifers to be contaminated and effectively kill the planet so that only his kind, Undead, can survive.

The party, obviously, intervenes, but Muu's minion that he sent there comes dangerously close to succeeding, as even after he's destroyed the mana aquifer is contaminated. Nina is forced to use her Nymph Wing Shaman form (which she hates) to use its purification powers to purify the mana aquifer. However, she needs to use herself a a filter in order to purify such a large pool of natural mana energy. The attempt is successful but Nina is knocked out of commission for a while until her body is cleansed of that energy, though the fairies honor her as the savior of Fairy Forest, creating a monument of her (both normal and Nymph Wing form) in her honor. However, because Nina needs time until her body is purified of the negative energies she cannot fight for a while, thus robbing the party of their primary spellcaster until she recovers, while also making Nova very protective of her.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone? I already bounced this idea off of a friend and he said go for it but I wanted some other opinions to see if anyone else likes it. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Feel free to delete if this isn't allowed :3

I'm looking for a semi long term writing partner where I can slap ideas at for my fic so I can find motivation to keep writing my outline.
If possible, I'd like my partner to be familiar with the Legends Arceus plot and be a fan of Adaman/Volo (or not be picky about ships cause I have A LOT). I'd also like someone familiar with Scarlet/Violet (and possibly have played the DLCs or don't care about spoilers).
If you're interested just reply to this or even dm me and we can discuss where we'd like to talk tho I mostly hang around Discord

These are some ideas for stories in my "Universe JC" series.

Jacob Steamclutch, my Raichu gijinka FC, his Rutles cover band, The Rutless, and his friends from a group consisting mainly of adult gijinkas (With some humans) go to a retreat in a rural, mountainous area in the Kanto region as guests of the owners of a venue with a waterfall, a farm, cabins and many other amenities to have fun and participate in some activities. There, he and his friends meet others from other groups similar to the one he is in, as well as Ruby and Sapphire from the Pokémon Adventures manga series.

A Tour diary of sorts, where Jacob Steamclutch writes his experiences with his Rutles cover band, playing the acoustic guitar and singing, with some entries from Duplica, who plays the drums in the band.

Jacob and Duplica traveling through Unova with an OC Pokémon trainer, Bryan, and all the adventures they get into along the way, even running into Hilbert and Hilda.

I know they're simple and all, but I figured I'd share them here.

Back
Top Bottom