• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN113: The Last Mission! Catch Regieleki and Regidorago!!

The Final battle with the Regi's was done well. Flygon and Hatterene had to team up and then went after the alternate opponents because Flygon was ground and the electric Regi was smart enough to move around.

Blastoise and Cinderace working together was great too. Doesn't make it clear if they keep the Regi's but I'm guessing not

So with the predictable outcome that Gary, Go and Tokio would qualify, it kinda raises the question of what was the point in introducing the new rivals so late only for them to amount to nothing?

They served a solid enough role in their debut episode, they'd probably just felt like using them again. And hey, imagine a Journeys where Project Mew debuted earlier.

A decent episode of the last mission for Goh and also last chance for him to reach Mew. Also, love to see the messages from the legendary titans awakening Regigigas after they all being gathering up. Wondering, if Goh will be the one is going to caught it. Only time will tell. Also with Goh go on alone to join with Gary is some bit of change and also congratulations, he finally did it after previous failed attempted.

Overall rating: B+

Not gonna lie, didn't like it. Everything I said about Goh catching Legendary Pokemon before this episode aired still stands.

To be honest, though, I'm actually more pissed that Gary caught Regidrago. Why, you might ask? Well, Gary is a character we have an even longer history with than Goh. In the original series, he was Ash's overachieving, bragging rival. He wasn't an absolute asshole the way Paul was, but he was still an unpleasant foil to Ash that we wanted to see get put in his place. And we did. After he lost to Ash in the Silver Conference, he mellowed out and stopped being as much of a jerk. He didn't say things like "Smell ya later" anymore. And when we saw him again in Sinnoh, he'd decided to become a scientist like his grandfather.

Basically, it seemed like Gary had moved on from one-upping Ash. And I liked that. It was some good character development on his part. What does this have to do with why I hate the idea of Gary catching Regidrago? I think it ruins the development Gary had regarding his relationship with Ash. In the original series, Gary was always trying to one-up Ash. We're talking about a guy who had TEN GYM BADGES. When Ash finally defeated him, it wasn't just a victory on Ash's part, it also helped Gary become more humble and less of a bragger, and maybe not as perfect as he thinks. By bringing Gary back only to have him do things like catch a Legendary Pokemon, this essentially undoes that development by showing Gary really is that good. And by extension, what does that say about Ash?

Basically, it seemed like Gary had moved on from one-upping Ash. And I liked that. It was some good character development on his part. What does this have to do with why I hate the idea of Gary catching Regidrago? I think it ruins the development Gary had regarding his relationship with Ash. In the original series, Gary was always trying to one-up Ash. We're talking about a guy who had TEN GYM BADGES. When Ash finally defeated him, it wasn't just a victory on Ash's part, it also helped Gary become more humble and less of a bragger, and maybe not as perfect as he thinks. By bringing Gary back only to have him do things like catch a Legendary Pokemon, this essentially undoes that development by showing Gary really is that good. And by extension, what does that say about Ash?
Gary caught the Pokémon as a part of a mission. He didn't do it to appear better than Ash. As for Ash, he's proven himself plenty good by becoming a Champion and climbing into the Masters Eight.

Not gonna lie, didn't like it. Everything I said about Goh catching Legendary Pokemon before this episode aired still stands.

To be honest, though, I'm actually more pissed that Gary caught Regidrago. Why, you might ask? Well, Gary is a character we have an even longer history with than Goh. In the original series, he was Ash's overachieving, bragging rival. He wasn't an absolute asshole the way Paul was, but he was still an unpleasant foil to Ash that we wanted to see get put in his place. And we did. After he lost to Ash in the Silver Conference, he mellowed out and stopped being as much of a jerk. He didn't say things like "Smell ya later" anymore. And when we saw him again in Sinnoh, he'd decided to become a scientist like his grandfather.

What exactly is your comparison with Ash capturing legendaries? Gary did not capture a Regi for himself, be caught it for the mission. The ending doesn't even make it clear if they kept or let them go.

It now bothers you that Gary got a legendary because Ash didn't, even though Gary and Ash are not competing anymore? The way some people have negative reaction to other characters getting legends properly is very strange to me. How does this matter?

Why are you even bringing up Ash when he has never gone after legends and Ash does not have to capture any to look good? Your entire post here about Gary capturing a legendary makes no sense, how does that imply it makes Gary look superior to Ash or undo his development form being a braggart in the OS?

By bringing Gary back only to have him do things like catch a Legendary Pokemon, this essentially undoes that development by showing Gary really is that good.
Losing to Ash in the Silver Conference didn't mean he was ever incompetent, though. We've seen on multiple occasions since then that he's still very talented as a battler. There's nothing wrong with him continuing to be a skilled Trainer even after their rivalry has ended, and I don't think it's a regression of character development since he's not being antagonistic or arrogant about it.

He didn't say things like "Smell ya later" anymore.
(and I hate to be that guy but he never did actually say that, that's solely Blue's catchphrase lol)

Why are you even bringing up Ash when he has never gone after legends and Ash does not have to capture any to look good? Your entire post here about Gary capturing a legendary makes no sense, how does that imply it makes Gary look superior to Ash?
Because it contradicts key aspects of both Ash and Gary's character development, at least from a meta perspective.

Gary started out as an arrogant bragger, and Ash defeating him in Johto was supposed to be a catalyst for character development on his part. Like I said, we saw Gary become less abrasive, and he switched from being a Trainer to being a scientist. A big part of the reason he did this was because he lost to Ash, and realized he wasn't the "greatest Pokemon Trainer ever" like he said he was. So to bring him back now, and have him catch Regidrago, essentially undoes that. Yes, I know he isn't trying to one-up Ash like he did before, but it still definitely invites out-of-universe comparisons to Ash. The fact that Gary was able to catch Regidrago with such relative ease implies that, despite losing to Ash in Johto and becoming a scientist, he might very well be a better Trainer than Ash. This flies in the face of Gary's original character arc, which revolved around him accepting that he wasn't the best.

As for Ash, the Journeys series has been hyping him up as one of the eight strongest Trainers in the world, but the writers have not done a good job convincing us of that. Not only have we seen Goh and Gary catch Legendary Pokemon (as well as Quillon, who owns an Urshifu), but we have met multiple other Trainers who seem to be at least on par with Ash skill-wise. Ash may be the Alola Champion, but compared to many of the other Trainers we have met in Journeys he seems to be below their level.

(...)
(...)
I always felt like him mellowing out started sooner. After Gary's defeat in the 4th round of the Indigo League, even if it wasn't against Ash. We didn't see him again until after the Orange Islands. And in Johto he was already less cocky against Ash, even though he still was his rival.

Maybe his defeat against Ash at the Silver Conference was the final nail, but the process already started in the Kanto Saga. And I thought he was already deciding to become a Pokémon rechearcher before the Silver Conference, and sharing the news after his defeat, still in the Johto Saga.

Also, did Gary ever said "Smell ya later" in the English dubbed anime? I know Blue said this in the games.

[...] despite losing to Ash in Johto and becoming a scientist, he might very well be a better Trainer than Ash.
I'm not saying this is true, but don't forget that Gary did beat Ash in a battle after the Johto League. Ash had just won the Battle Frontier, and Gary had already been a researcher for some time.

Anyway, accepting his shortcomings and retiring from formal competition didn't make Gary a worse Trainer. But catching a Legendary as part of a mission isn't supposed to be implying he's the greatest Trainer in the world, either.

Also, did Gary ever said "Smell ya later" in the English dubbed anime? I know Blue said this in the games.
nope — he only ever said "see ya" in the dub.
I would argue his equivalent to that was saying "loser" all the time, though :P

I'm not saying this is true, but don't forget that Gary did beat Ash in a battle after the Johto League. Ash had just won the Battle Frontier, and Gary had already been a researcher for some time.

Anyway, accepting his shortcomings and retiring from formal competition didn't make Gary a worse Trainer. But catching a Legendary as part of a mission isn't supposed to be implying he's the greatest Trainer in the world, either.
Exactly. Just because he switched paths as a trainer from competitive battle to researcher doesn’t mean that he stopped training his Pokémon. Hell, the fact that he has a Hatterene here shows that he didn’t even stop catching new Pokémon. Journeys in itself showed that even as a researcher, he’s still a skilled battler, being able to even go toe to toe with legendary Pokémon, just like Ash can. I’d even be willing to bet that if he and Ash had a battle, he could still give him a run for his money.

Because it contradicts key aspects of both Ash and Gary's character development, at least from a meta perspective.

Gary started out as an arrogant bragger, and Ash defeating him in Johto was supposed to be a catalyst for character development on his part. Like I said, we saw Gary become less abrasive, and he switched from being a Trainer to being a scientist. A big part of the reason he did this was because he lost to Ash, and realized he wasn't the "greatest Pokemon Trainer ever" like he said he was. So to bring him back now, and have him catch Regidrago, essentially undoes that. Yes, I know he isn't trying to one-up Ash like he did before, but it still definitely invites out-of-universe comparisons to Ash. The fact that Gary was able to catch Regidrago with such relative ease implies that, despite losing to Ash in Johto and becoming a scientist, he might very well be a better Trainer than Ash. This flies in the face of Gary's original character arc, which revolved around him accepting that he wasn't the best.

As for Ash, the Journeys series has been hyping him up as one of the eight strongest Trainers in the world, but the writers have not done a good job convincing us of that. Not only have we seen Goh and Gary catch Legendary Pokemon (as well as Quillon, who owns an Urshifu), but we have met multiple other Trainers who seem to be at least on par with Ash skill-wise. Ash may be the Alola Champion, but compared to many of the other Trainers we have met in Journeys he seems to be below their level.
If Ash seriously had to capture legendaries he would be able to do it, it's just that Ash doesn't care. Gary capturing a legend doesn't somehow undo his development, it just makes it so that Gary has remained a skilled trainer. It doesn't reflect badly on Ash because not only are they not even competing against each other anymore or in the same goal, but Ash himself never bothered to capture legendaries.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom