• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet anime (MODS' UPDATE 23/08/2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thus, they have been in a decline spiral ever since writers realized they don't have to put Team Rocket in every episode. It says something that the last time they ever encountered Ash was the episode where they learned that Butch and Cassidy retired as Team Rocket members. They work better as radio hosts giving wacky commentaries than antagonists that Ash barely recognizes anymore.
You're absolutely right, jeez they haven't even encountered Ash at all in 19 episodes straight now! :oops: (And they went 11 episodes without appearing at all!) All this is only serving to further my opinion that this is probably the last series where we'll see the TRio as members of Team Rocket. (If my hunch is right, they'll be quitting as members come Journey's end.)

In fact, in early Kanto Team Rocket could actually be legitimately threatening to the protagonists, but even then that threat was wildly fluctuating and inconsistent, and mainly for the sake of giving an underpowered character a boost. Other similar examples include TR stomping the Kanto Eeveelutions so that Mikey's Eevee could hitch a ride on the "NFE supremacy" train that the Original Series loved to showcase over and over; or Pikachu, Squirtle, and Starmie all losing to the very same Arbok and Weezing they'd beaten dozens of times effortlessly in the past so that the borrowed Ponyta could show off its literal firepower (granted, Misty's Starmie was generally useless, but the other two don't have much of an excuse).
Although it wasn't against the heroes there was also Meowth defeating his own evolved form after roughly 70 episodes of being a joke.

But as for the TRio being too outpaced; didn't they beat Ash in a battle in Sun/Moon? Their strength doesn't need to remain consistent more than any other characters.

I don't see Team Rocket leaving at all.

Other than Ash and Pikachu, they're the only major characters that are still around from the OS

It'd be silly to let them go at this point unless they let Ash and Pikachu go as well

So was Brock but he left after two series of travel with Ash.

And Journeys saw their participation decline so dramatically that half the time, I forgot they existed.

The problem is that Team Rocket really has nowhere to go due to their villainous status quo. They cannot improve themselves as villains because in shows like these, villains are not allowed to succeed. There is a future for them... if they retire from trying to catch Pikachu and deliver him to the boss.

Although it wasn't against the heroes there was also Meowth defeating his own evolved form after roughly 70 episodes of being a joke.

But as for the TRio being too outpaced; didn't they beat Ash in a battle in Sun/Moon? Their strength doesn't need to remain consistent more than any other characters.

Once and it was treated like a very rare exception... that was immediately undone by Bewear taking them away. This is the problem with them being villains antagonizing Ash. They cannot win against him even if they actually did. Unlike Ash, they are destined to lose. The only success they have are fighting other villainous teams like Team Skull. But against Ash? There is no hope of victory for them.

I'm not even sure if one could count that as a "battle," since Mimikyu was just doing whatever it wanted to do and Mareanie was still a wild Pokemon at that point.

I feel like Ash can catch Fuecoco and Lechonk while the female protagonist owns Pawmi, Smoliv, and Sprigatito.
Quaxly depends. If Goh does go to Gen 9, Then Quaxly will be caught by him. If not, Then Ash will catch Quaxly along with Fuecoco.

Oh, yeah, That's another thing about Meowth in that despite consistently being portrayed as incredibly weak most of the time (something that the show even went out of its way to explain by essentially saying that Meowth used up all of his "levels and EVs" to learn to speak and walk like a human, leaving him with little to no combat potential), he occasionally goes through random bursts of power, and this actually happens even long after Kanto was over: in one Sinnoh episode he delivered a swift beatdown to powerhouses like Staraptor, Togekiss, and freaking Infernape all at the same time; in Unova he single-handedly managed to knock out an entire horde of Team Plasma's Liepards, and in Kalos I believe he defeated Serena's Fennekin with zero effort (though to be fair that last one is more justified than the first two due to Serena and Fennekin being inexperienced newbies at the time, but it's still notable because other past companions were never shown to be so weak in their rookie stages that even Mewth could beat them). Most of these are never really explained and never last beyond isolated cases. And then there's AU Meowth, who was shown to be powerful enough to trade blows with Cynthia's Garchomp of all Pokemon despite still having the ability to talk, so presumably he still had Main!Meowth's backstory, yet his power level seems to be consistently high. How and why is anyone's guess.

As for Sun and Moon, to be fair I feel like that instance was more because the Pokemon they caught in that region were easily the most competent and powerful ones they'd ever had. Mimikyu especially.

Oh, yeah, That's another thing about Meowth in that despite consistently being portrayed as incredibly weak most of the time (something that the show even went out of its way to explain by essentially saying that Meowth used up all of his "levels and EVs" to learn to speak and walk like a human, leaving him with little to no combat potential), he occasionally goes through random bursts of power, and this actually happens even long after Kanto was over: in one Sinnoh episode he delivered a swift beatdown to powerhouses like Staraptor, Togekiss, and freaking Infernape all at the same time; in Unova he single-handedly managed to knock out an entire horde of Team Plasma's Liepards, and in Kalos I believe he defeated Serena's Fennekin with zero effort (though to be fair that last one is more justified than the first two due to Serena and Fennekin being inexperienced newbies at the time, but it's still notable because other past companions were never shown to be so weak in their rookie stages that even Mewth could beat them). Most of these are never really explained and never last beyond isolated cases. And then there's AU Meowth, who was shown to be powerful enough to trade blows with Cynthia's Garchomp of all Pokemon despite still having the ability to talk, so presumably he still had Main!Meowth's backstory, yet his power level seems to be consistently high. How and why is anyone's guess.

As for Sun and Moon, to be fair I feel like that instance was more because the Pokemon they caught in that region were easily the most competent and powerful ones they'd ever had. Mimikyu especially.
I feel like a lot of those of wins of Meowth's were definitely the exception rather than the rule (somewhat obviously,) and mostly for gags/laughs. The beating Serena's Fennekin thing is probably because B/W had just ended, where Meowth was competent. Or it's as you said, because she and Fennekin were inexperienced.

Mimikyu was indeed powerful, hell it was probably Jessie's strongest Pokemon and if not that, certainly one of them. Too bad it didn't listen to her 95% of the time and didn't let go of the, "I hate all Pikachu and must go into attack mode every time I see one" thing until the very end of SM. (You really think Mareanie ranks above Weezing and Victreebel, or even Inkay in terms of strength? Personally, I think Inkay was stronger.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Team Rocket was phased out of the villain role since really, they don't offer a challenge to Ash anymore.

Back when Ash was a newbie and still learning the ropes with more experienced trainers like Misty an Brock, Team Rocket were a genuine threat that had a great dynamic with the trio. Not too strong for Ash to overcome but strong enough to actually make Ash put effort into battle.

Now? Half the time, he doesn't even realize that Team Rocket is there and when he does interact with them, he simply tells Pikachu to blast them into the sky without missing a beat.
To be fair, that's been the case since at least AG, if not Johto, so Team Rocket not posing a challenge for Ash is hardly a new issue. Even getting Pokemon from their Team Rocket machine usually doesn't make them more imposing or difficult for Ash to defeat. I don't see them phasing Team Rocket out of the villain role since that is one of their defining traits. They'll probably continue to use them more sparingly, but I really don't think that they've cared about making Team Rocket more difficult for Ash to defeat for decades. Much like Ash and Pikachu, I think that they're too iconic and marketable for them to replace completely. It's still more possible for them to leave than it would be for Ash, if only because the story isn't about Team Rocket, but I don't think it's particularly likely to happen either.

They were close to defeating Ash in SM with both Pikachu and Rowlet poisoned, but the joke was that Bewear stopped them before they could actually win.

To be fair, that's been the case since at least AG, if not Johto, so Team Rocket not posing a challenge for Ash is hardly a new issue. Even getting Pokemon from their Team Rocket machine usually doesn't make them more imposing or difficult for Ash to defeat. I don't see them phasing Team Rocket out of the villain role since that is one of their defining traits. They'll probably continue to use them more sparingly, but I really don't think that they've cared about making Team Rocket more difficult for Ash to defeat for decades. Much like Ash and Pikachu, I think that they're too iconic and marketable for them to replace completely. It's still more possible for them to leave than it would be for Ash, if only because the story isn't about Team Rocket, but I don't think it's particularly likely to happen either.
It’s more of they offer very little to Ash. As Ash becomes a trainer who can fight Elite Fours and Champions, his dynamic with the TRio is reduced to brief battles and quick blast offs. This began in AG, which is where a lot of people were getting tired of Team Rocket. It's like keeping Pilaf as the main villain for Dragon Ball even though it’s clear that Goku far outclassed him. I don’t think they’ll go away completely but I do think their days of antagonizing Ash may be coming to an end given a sudden decrease of interactions in Journeys.

I've got my money on Quaxly being the "TPCi's Favorite Starter" this Gen in the same vein of Greninja, Charizard and Cinderace

Quaxly is the Starter with the highest likely chance of becoming Humanoid and we all know GF and TPCi likes to push the Humanoid Starters the hardest

IMG_20220605_092853.jpg

Also not to mention just look at the way Quaxly is standing in the center. It really makes it look like He's the "Leader" of the Gen 9 Trio in a way.

It literally brings back memories of when Scorbunny stood in the middle of the Galar Trio (and the Scorbunny line got the best overall treatment from TPCi)
Screenshot_2022-06-05-19-53-07-1.png

Also is it me or does Quaxly's design vaguely look like a mashup of Scorbunny and Sobble's?

Last edited:

Where did they actually state that Meowth talking used up all his exp

Where did they actually state that Meowth talking used up all his exp
I didn't mean it literally, hence why I used quotation marks. But I do remember that Meowth did say something to that effect, and in any case it was still shown in other ways, such as the fact that apparently Meowth is unable to learn any new moves besides the ones he already has, not even his species' signature Pay Day.

I've got my money on Quaxly being the "TPCi's Favorite Starter" this Gen in the same vein of Greninja, Charizard and Cinderace

Quaxly is the Starter with the highest likely chance of becoming Humanoid and we all know GF and TPCi likes to push the Humanoid Starters the hardest

View attachment 160587

Also not to mention just look at the way Quaxly is standing in the center. It really makes it look like He's the "Leader" of the Gen 9 Trio in a way.

It literally brings back memories of when Scorbunny stood in the middle of the Galar Trio (and the Scorbunny line got the best overall treatment from TPCi)View attachment 160590

Also is it me or does Quaxly's design vaguely look like a mashup of Scorbunny and Sobble's?
could be the case! :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom