• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN114: Training Battle of Flames! Satoshi VS Shinji!!

Pretty sure Professor Oak mentioned that Paul became a Gym-Leader, or is trying to be one? Paul could easily take that mantle, similar to Raihan’s level, but honestly if they were going to take that route with his character, I was expecting him to be a Battle Frontier Brain.
With that said, Paul would probably battle a rookie and make them cry.

Anyways, decent battle. Paul wasn’t letting Ash take breaks or slow down, he really wanted him to be prepared. Gyarados catching Lucario reminded me of Drapion’s tail in the Sinnoh League (don’t know if that was intended to be a reference, or not), we get insight into how Dragonite might battle in the PWC, and finally a physical steel-move for Lucario in Bullet Punch.

This episode just makes me so much more annoyed at the Moltres episode where half Ash’s Pokémon didn’t enthusiastically run to greet him when they KNEW he was coming, I know it’s expensive and time-consuming to draw so many Pokémon in one shot but if you can’t have them all, don’t make it try and look like you are having them all - it should have just been the fire types in that episode.

Now this episode, beautiful – all I want to see from Ash’s Pokémon is for them to appear and actually interact with someone, yet one of each other, one of the Journey’s team, Ash, Goh, Oak - i’m very happy with this – watching all the Pokémon train together, interact together, cheer each other on. I am content.

Great return from Paul, training Ash with Pokémon that’ll be in the Master’s 8. I’m also glad Oak congratulated Goh on becoming a chaser - it just makes the series feel cohesive, and that has always been my complaint with Journeys up until recently.

Gengar getting Will-O-Wisp feels kind of superfluous, like it had a great and varied move set before. I’m hoping they cheat a little and make it Max Flare rather than Max Guard because that’s be underwhelming.

Can’t wait to see Dragonite beat Garchomp in a battle with Cynthia!

Palpitoad, the Pokémon who once was so territorial and would attack strangers, now a Pokémon who likes to cuddle with people he doesn't realy know. At the fight, it was like a stuffed doll in Goh's arms (they could at least animate a little movement, like when Prof Oak started to talk).

But it was a good episode. We saw every of Ash's Pokémon who stays at Oak's Lab. The return of Kingler.

It was fun to see them all. Seeing the generations mixed was nice. Them training was fun. The battle was nice.

A good episode. With nostalgia for all generations and plot progression with Paul preparing Ash for the M8 and the Journey team training.

Edit: I called Palpitaod Poipole in this post. Whoops. ;)

Last edited:
This was a good episode. It was nice to see how members of Ash's current team trained with his old Pokemon. From Lucario sparing with Herracross, Buizel, and Halucha, to the fire types cheering Gengar on as it learns will-o-whisp, to Dracovish and Glaile unexpectedly meditating under a waterfall. Though I must ask, what was up with Palpitoad throughout this episode? It just seemed weird for him to constantly be in Goh's arms since it never seemed like the type of pokemon who likes to cuddle with some random person. Or even cuddle at all. I'll give this episode a 9/10. My issue with Palpitoad is the only reason it's not a 10

Given that Mimey didn't appear among the rest of Ash's Pokemon, this is further prove that it is Delia's and Ash merely borrowed Mimey in JN007
It only proves Mimey isn't at Oak's Lab (which we know) and it isn't an active member in Ash's Journey team (which we also know).

Rowlet, Lycanroc, Incineroar and Melmetal were also not present. Just like Mimey they aren't at Oak's Lab and they are not active members of Ash's Journey team. However, I think we can agree they are still Ash's Pokémon.

You are right that Mimey's case is an interesting one, but the fact it didn't appear in this episode isn't prove in any way I think.

That was great. I think a new record was set for how much could be jammed into a single episode. We got:

Flashbacks
Old Pokémon
Confirmed: Old Pokémon will never battle again
Paul knowing about the PWC/Masters 8, and why he didn't partici... oops, no time to explain, time to battle
Not one, but two new moves to spice up the greatest, not at all boring, team
Battle Frontier erasure (no such thing as a "Brandon")
New goal: stop traveling, become a gym leader
We'll never see him again

That was great. I think a new record was set for how much could be jammed into a single episode. We got:

Flashbacks
Old Pokémon
Confirmed: Old Pokémon will never battle again
Paul knowing about the PWC/Masters 8, and why he didn't partici... oops, no time to explain, time to battle
Not one, but two new moves to spice up the greatest, not at all boring, team
Battle Frontier erasure (no such thing as a "Brandon")
New goal: stop traveling, become a gym leader
We'll never see him again
It was a very rushed episode,Paul pretty much walked in the episode and then quickly walked out but I'm sure most people will be satisfied regardless.I don't recall them mentioning anything about his rematch against Brandon but I'd like to believe that he defeated him since he beat Ash's OP Dragonite with his Garchomp.The fact that Paul's a gym leader just makes Iris look even worse as champion.

It was a very rushed episode,Paul pretty much walked in the episode and then quickly walked out but I'm sure most people will be satisfied regardless.I don't recall them mentioning anything about his rematch against Brandon but I'd like to believe that he defeated him since he beat Ash's OP Dragonite with his Garchomp.The fact that Paul's a gym leader just makes Iris look even worse as champion.
Paul's inclusion was shoehorned fanservice. It was jarring how evident him being a last-minute edition to this episode was.

I'm fairly certain Brandon and the Battle Pyramid weren't mentioned because of ORAS.

Man, this was amazing. I knew the fire types were gonna train Gengar, but I was so pleasantly shocked to see the others getting training in as well, and even more that even some of the less standout reserves got some bits of character thrown in. Of course Totodile would play on Snorlax, of course Buizel would hang out with the fighting types, of course Sirfetch’d would train with the other “tool” users, of course Gible would make Goh his chewing toy (Palpitoad’s fixation on him was weird, but the fact that Palpitoad got so much time on screen is lovely).

The battles were rushed, sure, but they got the job done and were overall entertaining and very well animated. Lucario getting Bullet Punch was nice and you won’t see me complain about freaking Gengar being the spotlight in an episode where it would be so easy for him to fade into the background (literally). My one disappointment is Dragonite going down to easily (she’s the one member of the current team not to get a dedicated training episode…), but the way Draco Meteor was used gives me hopes about future battles. Was it a coincidence that it looked so much like Gengar’s Will-o-Wisp?

Not sure the moves changes are something that I am jumping over...IDK I find that Gengar and Lucario had pretty solid movesets already. Honestly maybe they are going to go for a Leon thing where Ash is more up for adjusting movesets between battles.

To use that Ash v Steven teaser as an example, maybe there Gengar runs Will O Wisp, Shadow Ball, Dazzling Gleam, and Ice Punch, but against, say, Cynthia, Psychic replaces Dazzling Gleam or something

My one disappointment is Dragonite going down to easily (she’s the one member of the current team not to get a dedicated training episode…), but the way Draco Meteor was used gives me hopes about future battles. Was it a coincidence that it looked so much like Gengar’s Will-o-Wisp?

Yep, and since it is telegraphed, that Dragonite would be instrumental in taking down Cynthia's Garchomp, she (is it already confirmed she is she?) will definately need one dedicated training episode. It is even more crucial with Pikachu out of question bringing Garchomp down due typing disadvantage.

They kinda missed opportunity here with training by Charizard.
Since Infernape and Greninja had their setup episodes and at least taken mentorship of Gengar and Lucario, pairing Dragonite with Charizard would make the most sense. With this limited and unfortunately not-direct involvement of "holy trinity". Dragonite could use some upgrade especially in flight deparment. For now she was training with Unfezant (along others) and it showed. :confused_emoji:

My...kinda last of the wishes that are still viable is that it will still come to pass in some form and capacity.
Dragonite in its current form simply does not have the privilege to edge out Cynthia's Ace and forcing that outcome...especially alongside what we have seen Greninja and Infernape been doing in Journeys (I mean that Will-o-Wisp block from Infernape was not only mad on power level, but could win Contests aesthetics wise), with Charizard not even bothered to do anything...like where did the power scaling dissapear?:rolleyes:

Dragonite in its current form simply does not have the privilege to edge out Cynthia's Ace and forcing that outcome...especially alongside what we have seen Greninja and Infernape been doing in Journeys (I mean that Will-o-Wisp block from Infernape was not only mad on power level, but could win Contests aesthetics wise), with Charizard not even bothered to do anything...like where did the power scaling dissapear?:rolleyes:
If Ash ends up facing Cynthia, I’m at least expecting that he thinks of rotating the battlers so he can have as many conscious pokemon by the time Garchomp comes out. Sure, Dragonite can’t take on that thing 1v1, but Gengar has a near perfect moveset to counter it and Dracovish hits like a truck, so they could soften it up.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom