• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet anime (MODS' UPDATE 23/08/2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got my money on Quaxly being the "TPCi's Favorite Starter" this Gen in the same vein of Greninja, Charizard and Cinderace

Quaxly is the Starter with the highest likely chance of becoming Humanoid and we all know GF and TPCi likes to push the Humanoid Starters the hardest

View attachment 160587

Also not to mention just look at the way Quaxly is standing in the center. It really makes it look like He's the "Leader" of the Gen 9 Trio in a way.

It literally brings back memories of when Scorbunny stood in the middle of the Galar Trio (and the Scorbunny line got the best overall treatment from TPCi)View attachment 160590

Also is it me or does Quaxly's design vaguely look like a mashup of Scorbunny and Sobble's?

And not to speak about Quaxly seemingly being the main focus in the trailer (Battling Lechonk and all and the main character in the trailer had one as well).

Which is weird, given that overall Quaxly seems to have the least fans of the 3 starters for this gen.
Also I am too lazy to check back to see if it was here or elsewhere, but I seem to recall some people saying the whole open world aspect might not work very well, but I don't think it would actually be a problem, most open world games still have a recommended order to do things in, the stuff they put in guide books and such. Technically even BOTW has a 'recommended' order to do the Devine Beast's in.
I am more concerned about the whole school thing, sense they both seem to use the same building in either game. So no real easy way to have both in the anime, but you also can't have one but not the other because that just kinda leads to favoring one game. (Not that the anime is a stranger to that, what with Bea being the major league gym leader in journeys or Nebby becoming Solgaleo in Alola while Lunala doesn't do much of anything)

Apropos of nothing, I don't really mind whether Ash returns to Gym Challenge or does something fresh. What I really want is for there to be a strong sense of continuity - now I'm not referring to them constantly acknowledging past seasons, but rather for the series to be the opposite of Journeys which was in some ways great for casuals as you could jump in and out and even watch some episodes out of order completely since it was very episodic, but that didn't do it for me. Between a proper adventure that moves from place to place, to character development for both humans and Pokémon, I really would like more episodes to be connected and properly flow from one to the next so that you can't afford to miss a single episode. :unsure:

Apropos of nothing, I don't really mind whether Ash returns to Gym Challenge or does something fresh. What I really want is for there to be a strong sense of continuity - now I'm not referring to them constantly acknowledging past seasons, but rather for the series to be the opposite of Journeys which was in some ways great for casuals as you could jump in and out and even watch some episodes out of order completely since it was very episodic, but that didn't do it for me. Between a proper adventure that moves from place to place, to character development for both humans and Pokémon, I really would like more episodes to be connected and properly flow from one to the next so that you can't afford to miss a single episode. :unsure:
I don't want to get my hopes up, but that seems possible. At least returning to XY/SM levels of continuity.

The (stated) reason for JN's episodic format was the series' move to the Sunday timeslot...which they held for less than a year. Their reason being that children in Japan would typically engage in family activities on Sunday, and therefore have to watch the episodes later as reruns. Apparently continuity between episodes could not exist in a scenario where the target audience was expected to view the episodes out of order (even though that's basically how I watched every show as a kid).

Following the series' move to the Friday timeslot, some people hoped the show would immediately switch gear and return to the normal level of continuity, but obviously that didn't happen. It makes sense, because the overall structure of the series had already been decided, and it might have been awkward to change the format so suddenly. Now that they'll be starting with a clean slate, I can definitely see them transition back to a more familiar arc-driven series, unless they come up with another contrived reason not to do so.

Unpopular opinion but if Team Rocket stays I wouldn't mind them going back to their BW selves. Maybe they could do something interesting with that if Professor Turo turns out to be the bad guy. The futuristic legendary literally is a rocket?

Unpopular opinion but if Team Rocket stays I wouldn't mind them going back to their BW selves. Maybe they could do something interesting with that if Professor Turo turns out to be the bad guy. The futuristic legendary literally is a rocket?
Actually pairing up Team Rocket with a potential Evil Team in S/V would be an interesting change. :unsure:

From what we know:

- Most of the game is in open world areas like Legends Arceus

- The professors are exclusive to each version, and have some of past (female professor), and future (male professor) thing going on

- There may be some sort of school affiliation for this too, although that's unclear

- Pokecenters are gone replaced with gas station areas, and the two legendaries clearly transform into motorcycles (one has a tire and the other exhaust ports) making it likely you'll be able to ride them around, I don't see Ash doing this at all.

- The protagonists are bland because the customization feature is the main draw, most of the trailer showed customized trainers rather than the "real" trainers, so the anime will likely have no companion to use or make their own OC's again like Go/Koharu

- Nemona seems to be a rival character, and we know how the anime treats game rivals. Like Hop, Marnie, Bede, Hau, Cheren, Trevor, Bianca, the absence of Wally/Silver, etc....it could mean she'll only get 1 episode or not appear in the anime at all for what we know. So there's no point in even bringing her up because she'll probably be treated the same

They'll probably be some sort of trainers to battle if Gyms don't return, but I'm not sure this is enough to build a series around. Oddly enough the open world stuff suits Go since Ash is not going to capture pokemon mindlessly, but I don't know if he'll stick around. So I can see the world tour format staying.

I can't see the JN format being used again, I say it's wrong!
It even seems that the writers seem tired of it and want to finish it fast!

I don't see a problem with Ash staying in the new region again doing what games are supposed to have as a plot!

I can't see the JN format being used again, I say it's wrong!
It even seems that the writers seem tired of it and want to finish it fast!
The writers aren't trying to "finish it fast" it's that the show ran for 3 years and there's new games coming in November. This was expected.

From what we know:

- The protagonists are bland because the customization feature is the main draw, most of the trailer showed customized trainers rather than the "real" trainers, so the anime will likely have no companion to use or make their own OC's again like Go/Koharu
That's a pretty big assumption given that we've only seen three NPCs so far and two of them are the version exclusive Professors. Even if they don't want to use the playable female trainer for part of the cast, it's way too early to say that the anime won't have any companion character to use for the main cast. I don't think a lot of people expected SM to use all of the Trial Captain characters and Lillie for its main cast. It's not impossible for them to create anime original characters again, but I'm not so sure about that since we barely seen any of the Scarlet/Violet characters.

They'll probably be some sort of trainers to battle if Gyms don't return, but I'm not sure this is enough to build a series around. Oddly enough the open world stuff suits Go since Ash is not going to capture pokemon mindlessly, but I don't know if he'll stick around. So I can see the world tour format staying.
We still don't know much about the games, so of course based on what little we do know there isn't a lot of build a series around it. I really don't think that open world format of the games is going to be an issue for the anime. There will still be a storyline for them to adapt and having a vast wide open region to explore could give them more to work with. They've taken creative liberties with most regions before given the amount of towns, cities and villages in-between all of the major locations from the games. I love Goh, but I don't see him sticking around. Project Mew seems like it would be an easy way for him to go on his own path. And since I don't see them restarting the PWC, I don't see them sticking with the world tour format. It isn't impossible, but I don't think it seems likely. I also don't know if they can make that format work either, especially when they didn't really spend more than a couple of episodes in most regions not named Kanto.

The writers aren't trying to "finish it fast" it's that the show ran for 3 years and there's new games coming in November. This was expected.
I'm not sure about that. Quite a few people were certain that Journeys would cover multiple generations. Everything from going back to the Pocket Monsters title in Japan, Goh wanting to capture every Pokemon and Ash taking part in the PWC made people think that the series would last longer than the typical three year structure. At the very least, I don't think that was an uncommon theory. It was only until Scarlet/Violet were announced and especially the Master Class announced as the climax of the series that people generally accepted that the series was going to end in November.

I wouldn't say that they wanted to finish the series fast per say. Pacing has arguably been one of the biggest problems for Journeys, if not its biggest given how I think it is the root cause of its many other problems, but it's still going to have a little over hundred episodes. I do think that they were rushing through too much of the PWC, especially the first two classes, to make me think that they'll just start it over again with a new series and home base location for Ash.

I don thin goh continues in the series probably he's going to mew expedition or something like that. Btw I'm curious if ash has going to the next región if he's beating Leon,maybe for the 25 anniversary of anime he disappear of the series or reboot theme,if he lose against Leon it would be so sad and if he win there's no chance to continue on the series.

I was thinking, when can we expect to start getting info about the next series (assuming PM2019 will end). I don't remember how early the previous series were announced.

I don thin goh continues in the series probably he's going to mew expedition or something like that. Btw I'm curious if ash has going to the next región if he's beating Leon,maybe for the 25 anniversary of anime he disappear of the series or reboot theme,if he lose against Leon it would be so sad and if he win there's no chance to continue on the series.
Ash will most likely continue on regardless if he wins or loses. As many have stated a thousand times, it is far too late (as in years and years late) for them to replace Ash now with how iconic he is to the anime.
I was thinking, when can we expect to start getting info about the next series (assuming PM2019 will end). I don't remember how early the previous series were announced.
I'm going to guess around August or September perhaps. I think that's around the time when we started hearing news about PM2019.

Last edited:
I think that they started the promotion for Journeys surprisingly late, but I suspect that we'll get some news on the next series around August or September as well. They might wait until after Ash vs. Leon concludes since they'll probably want to focus on promoting the Master Class matches before moving onto the next series.

What if Ash wins and the creators give a new series with an Alternate Ash who didn't win the Alola League and M8? The story would continue with Alternate Ash collecting badges in other regions.

What if Ash wins and the creators give a new series with an Alternate Ash who didn't win the Alola League and M8? The story would continue with Alternate Ash collecting badges in other regions.
If they did got for a reboot, they'd probably wipe the entire slate clean, not just have Alternate Ash who did not win the Alola League and PWC as the main character. While it wouldn't be impossible for them to do a reboot, I still think it's a bit unlikely. Even if Ash does win the PWC, I don't think that means that the only way to keep Ash around is if they reboot the anime. Despite how much fans hype up the PWC, I don't think its outcome is going to determine what Ash will do in the next series. Ash being the Alola League Champion wasn't mentioned for over seventy episodes and it was not at least the in-universe reason as to why they created the PWC. A big reason why the PWC felt so overhyped to me even from the start was because it felt more like they wanted Ash to have quick and/or short battles as opposed to the next step in his goal. The fact that they only started having his matches being the center focus of an episode more consistently in the Hyper Class doesn't help matters either.

Besides all that, I don't know if they'd want to eliminate the continuity altogether. It wouldn't just be Ash getting a reboot, but the entire anime. All of his Pokemon besides Pikachu would never show up again, none of the traveling companions would show up and all of the established history from the various series would be gone. It's still more plausible for them to do something like this instead of replacing Ash altogether, but I don't know if they'd want to go for a complete reboot. The continuity for the anime has never really been a barrier for new fans since each series is pretty stand alone. Journeys has more references and nods to previous series, but it still isn't required to watch SM to understand its storylines. They already did a reboot with the movies starting with I Choose You and that arguably was more fitting for the movies than it would be for the anime series. Most of the movies were still canon prior to I Choose You, but few were even mentioned in the anime, it was almost always about Ash and Ash's friends rarely got to do anything important. Having the movies feature a different version of Ash, not have to worry about where the movie takes place in the anime's continuity or what to do with the main cast when they can just use the movie original characters instead made more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom