• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

Oh wow, I never even knew about that feature. That sounds interesting.
It's one that people standardly use on top of other self imposed rules (Especially in nuzlockes) to not make the game so easy. Though, there's only so much you can do with what you are given, ultimately.

I’m not a fan of anthropomorphic starters but I do like delphox—to me it doesn’t really feel anthropomorphic at all besides being bipedal

another unpopular opinion, perhaps - i think the discourse surrounding 3D models vs 2D sprites is dumb. both are fine, and some pokemon fans love to cherrypick bad examples of 3D models in particular (looking at you, typhlosion, amongst others) as a way of proving their point that 2D sprites are superior while completely ignoring or being unaware of the fact that yes, there are poor examples of 2D sprites, as well. i get it, i'm also nostalgic for the good ol' pixel art days but it's not like 3D has been completely lifeless because that's flat-out untrue, we've seen as such in every iteration of Pokemon Refresh/Pokemon Camp/Pokemon Amie ever, but people like to bring up the idle battle poses. >.>

anyway that's my rant

another unpopular opinion, perhaps - i think the discourse surrounding 3D models vs 2D sprites is dumb. both are fine, and some pokemon fans love to cherrypick bad examples of 3D models in particular (looking at you, typhlosion, amongst others) as a way of proving their point that 2D sprites are superior while completely ignoring or being unaware of the fact that yes, there are poor examples of 2D sprites, as well. i get it, i'm also nostalgic for the good ol' pixel art days but it's not like 3D has been completely lifeless because that's flat-out untrue, we've seen as such in every iteration of Pokemon Refresh/Pokemon Camp/Pokemon Amie ever, but people like to bring up the idle battle poses. >.>

anyway that's my rant
The worst thing is when they try to compare them with other franchises... which are only slightly better animation-wise. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth for example only has three attack animations per Digimon, and Shin Megami Tensei is not much better from what I remember.

Oh, I have some.

• Sword, X and Let's Go Eevee are better than Diamond
  • Diamond is good because it's a pokemon game, but it's my least favorite of all the main series games
  • Hisuian typhlosion looked amazing even before it was shown animated/with flames
  • Bipedal or humanoid starters are just as good as quadruped/feral ones
  • Sword was my least fave after Diamond, but definitely not a bad game. Underrated for sure. I know a significant amount of people hate it (not sure why people think it's controversial to dislike it....it's an insanely common opinion), but I want to do another playthrough.
  • However imo Sword had by far the ugliest new pokemon designs in a generation ever lol.
  • I'm cool with Charizard continually being in games. It's one of my favorite starters. I will use it in SV if I can.
  • Turtwig and fuecoco are the worst starters, especially fuecoco
  • I want a Let's Go Johto game. Although Legends Arceus did kinda scratch the itch of a game where you are supposed to catch a lot of pokemon and release them for rewards.

i think i've already mentioned my gen 5 opinions here before, tldr i do not think they are NEARLY as good as a lot of people nowadays claim, but i forget if i mentioned colress in that little rant so. i'm talking about colress! i constantly see him talked about as being "morally gray" and i feel like there is a serious misunderstanding of moral grayness here. colress isn't neutral, he's simply on his own side. taking gen 3 as an example, would you consider team aqua in ruby version (or team magma in sapphire version) morally gray because they're not on the player or the opposing team's side? colress is only concerned about himself and his research, and i would not consider that "morally gray" even if he ends up happening to do a good thing or two.

• However imo Sword had by far the ugliest new pokemon designs in a generation ever lol.
honestly, i say this as someone who really likes gen 8, the designs are ABSOLUTELY a case of love em or hate em i'd say. if you showed me dottler or eiscue or falinks in like 2016 and told me those were real future pokemon i would not have believed you ngl, and legends arceus has definitely kept up this trend to Varying Results (the origin forms of dialga and palkia are probably like the best example of these funky new designs, personally i like em if only because they're so out there for the series. enamorus just sucks though sorry </3)

I feel like we don’t really know enough about SV yet to make judgement calls.
It's an open world game. Those are massive deal breakers for me thanks to my anxiety, so it makes SV the one game I will actually skip completely.

It's also the reason I might not buy another Zelda or Final Fantasy, except remakes...

I’m not sure how controversial this is, but I really do not like blastoise, at least not as a final stage for the squirtle line

I still love Charizard. Any vitriol directed towards it on my part is strictly because of Gamefreak's favoritism. Just because its one of my fave starters doesn't mean I want it getting special treatment.

Also for pure controversy, for some reason I have never liked a water starter enough to pick it for a nuzlocke. I almost always go fire type for first time playthrough, and grass for nuzlockes. Except VIolet because apparently the universe flipped itself over and I'm picking grass and will probably go fire if I do nuzlocke in the future. I don't hate the water starters (except froakie's line because greninja) they just don't hit with me for some reason.

Magic exists in the pokemon world. Outright fantasy-style magic.
I feel like this is more of a headcanon than an opinion, though...

But there was a character in the anime who was literally a witch and transformed Ash into a Pikachu for like three seconds. So there is at least one part of the franchise where magic is indeed canon.

I don't like the fact that Kalos is only based on Northern France. If it's really a reference to Occupied France, then it's stupid and incomplete, as the Nazis decided to occupy the "Free Zone" in November 1942 (in response to the colonies' liberation), save from the southeast which was occupied by Italy, and when Italy capitulated in September 1943, France was fully occupied. So, counting from 1943 (even though it lasted only a year), Continental France was fully occupied by the Nazis. What I don't understand is that the other countries/locations which inspired the subsequent Regions fully covered their area.

Back
Top Bottom