• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN116: Champions' Pride! Wataru VS Carne!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd just like Diantha to win because she's frequently referred to as the weakest Champion and we already saw Leon vs. Lance.
The later is exactly why I get the feeling that Diantha is gonna win. These writers seem to have a seething hated for rematches to the point that I’m pretty sure Bea was the only character we’ve seen battle someone more than once.

As many others have said, I get the feeling that Diantha will win simply because the alternative would simply lead to a rematch between Lance and Leon. However, if that rematch did occur, then there is a greater than zero percent chance that Lance could actually win that battle. Don't forget that in the Paul battle, Ash fought a Garchomp, Metagross, and a Gyarados. As far as we know, Leon doesn't have a Gyarados, but Lance does. It would be interesting if Lance manages to beat Leon in the semi-finals, but I think the chances of that happening are very slim to none. As such, I think that Diantha will win her battle against Lance.

Personally I'm rooting for Diantha for various reasons, the big one being that I want people to stop calling her weak just because of how easy the XY games are, but I still think that the battle could go either way and I wouldn't mind Diantha losing so long as we get a cool battle where both Champions get to show off their skills. See, there's actually plenty of reasons why the battle could be won by either character.

Reasonings in favor of Lance winning
  1. Lance ranked higher than Diantha in the Masters 8, and the only other character guaranteed to defeat a M8 member of a higher ranking is Ash, lending credence to the idea that only the Champions with higher rankings (bar poor Steven) will proceed to the next round.
  2. Ironically, the fact that he has the type disadvantage in the matchups actually gives him an edge due to how much the anime loves to make the underdogs win.
  3. It would be a bit of a shame for both of Lance's battles in Journeys to end up as losses... then again, Iris is also gonna lose twice, so... idk maybe this one isn't actually as strong?
  4. We've been seeing quite a bit of Mega Charizard Y merch recently, and while that's admittedly more likely to just be a red herring, it could also be foreshadowing for Lance using one against Leon, since he's the only character who could reasonably have one. Plus, the writers would likely jump at the chance to feature all of Charizard's forms in one go.
Reasonings in favor of Diantha winning
  1. If Diantha loses, then all the XYZ characters would be eliminated in the first round (since Steven partially counts as XYZ rep), and that would be a bit of a shame.
  2. The anime doesn't always give underdogs the win just because they're underdogs, and Diantha winning due to type advantage would be more than reasonable for both her and Lance.
  3. Leon is 110% guaranteed to make it to the finals, meaning that a Lance rematch would be fairly pointless, since Lance would just lose to him again, and the writers would likely prefer to flex Leon's superiority over everyone by making him beat as many high-level trainers as possible, and since he hasn't fought Diantha yet, then adding her to Leon's resume of defeats would be comparatively more refreshing and impressive than if he were to defeat someone he's already proven to be stronger than before.
  4. If Mega Charizard Y merch is indeed a red herring, then that means that Mega Gardevoir is the only Mega that could potentially fight Gigantamax Charizard at this point before Ash's Mega Lucario (as Alain's Mega Charizard X didn't get that chance), and we haven't yet seen a Gigantamax form defeat a Mega Evolution in combat. Besides, Gardevoir can learn Thunderbolt, so if Diantha's uses that move, she could be a reasonable threat to Leon's Charizard and thus make his win even more impressive.
As you can see, it's pretty freaking even. Kinda funny how this is the only matchup in the tournament besides Ash vs Leon in which the result is a total wild card. Imo that just makes it more exciting.

Even comic books come with twists and turns when it comes to reaching the outcome. We might get some decent battles but with no real twists or air of unpredictability it just becomes so paint by the numbers that it takes away where the real fun lies. The destination may be Ash vs Leon but that doesn’t mean that they had to make the journey so obvious especially once they got to the main event.
That makes no difference since the match-ups are still exciting (Iris/Cynthia is actually the one I'm interested in the most), and Ash is going to beat whoever he battles.

It's a tournament, there has to be 4 losses in the first round. Leon/Ash will be the finals so we know characters will have to lose, I don't see how this is different than usual.

I just want to say that Lance getting his wish to have a rematch with Leon shouldn't be viewed as boring or whatever.

1. It would be the only Dynamax vs. Gigantamax battle in this tournament. Lance might surprise us and use it on Dragonite instead.

2. The first battle was 1 vs 1. It was also 2.5 years ago.

3. It would give Lance an opportunity to interact with Ash after losing to Leon. I don't see Diantha doing that.

We've been seeing quite a bit of Mega Charizard Y merch recently, and while that's admittedly more likely to just be a red herring, it could also be foreshadowing for Lance using one against Leon, since he's the only character who could reasonably have one. Plus, the writers would likely jump at the chance to feature all of Charizard's forms in one go.
Plot Twist: It's actually Ash's Charizard, who comes to Wyndon Stadium later with everyone else and then Mega Evolves, with Ash obtaining a Charizardite Y somehow. (JK, I know that's not happening. :ROFLMAO: Sigh.....but wouldn't it be so cool if it did though? :confused_emoji:)

Plot Twist: It's actually Ash's Charizard, who comes to Wyndon Stadium later with everyone else and then Mega Evolves, with Ash obtaining a Charizardite Y somehow. (JK, I know that's not happening. :ROFLMAO: Sigh.....but wouldn't it be so cool if it did though? :confused_emoji:)

A little bit on the nose, but why not?;) As for Charizardite Y, Alain as renowned Mega Stones Collector should make himself useful and give Ash one.:sneaky:

As for Charizardite Y, Alain as renowned Mega Stones Collector should make himself useful and give Ash one.:sneaky:
Right? Now that would be cool. (And give Ash a Mega Stone holder for Lucario while he's at it, if Charizard, Gardevoir, and Korrina's Lucario get to keep theirs, why can't Ash's Lucario have one? At least actually have it hold the Mega Stone in its hands, for god's sake. The whole, "Mega Stone comes floating down out of nowhere" bit is just......really dumb. (Not to mention it makes no sense, even for this anime.)

I mean, in the long term the winner of this match is just gonna be crushed by Leon anyway. In the same way I can't see either Ash or Steven take down Cynthia once she's inevitably got past Iris later on. The only real question is how well these other folks are allowed to do before the twin titans of Leon and Cynthia eventually consume them.

The hope for Ash to have a good moment with Lance feels a bit unrealistic when Ash basically forgot who Drake and Wallace were in this series. I doubt Ash himself would bring up those meetings in Johto and Hoenn without Lance prompting it. If Steven hadn't been involved in the tail-end of XY then I think Ash wouldn't remember him either. In fact, even then I think he only recalls him from XY and not their AG encounter.

I mean, in the long term the winner of this match is just gonna be crushed by Leon anyway. In the same way I can't see either Ash or Steven take down Cynthia once she's inevitably got past Iris later on. The only real question is how well these other folks are allowed to do before these twin titans consume them.
I hate to break this to you, but......Ash is almost certainly defeating Cynthia. They haven't hyped up his big match with Leon this much just for him to lose before he even gets that far.

Mega Charizard Y does need some screentime that isn't getting oneshotted by Mega Charizard X, so yes, it'd be unirnoically cool for Ash's Charizard to get access to that Mega form. Unlikely as it is by now.

Mega Charizard Y does need some screentime that isn't getting oneshotted by Mega Charizard X, so yes, it'd be unirnoically cool for Ash's Charizard to get access to that Mega form. Unlikely as it is by now.
I really would have liked to see Ash's Charizard battle Alain's Mega Charizard X back in Kalos as a Mega Charizard Y, to get some redemption for that form. In fact, I even came up with a headcanon for how such a battle would have taken place.

I really would have liked to see Ash's Charizard battle Alain's Mega Charizard X back in Kalos as a Mega Charizard Y, to get some redemption for that form. In fact, I even came up with a headcanon for how such a battle would have taken place.
that'd be really cool to see! I think you could post something like this in either the fanfic section or the anime headcanons section if you want to share!

that'd be really cool to see! I think you could post something like this in either the fanfic section or the anime headcanons section if you want to share!
Really? Well thank you, what a nice thing to say! :giggle: You know what, I think I might just do that! (Ummm, BTW,how would I go about doing that exactly? :unsure:)

I hate to break this to you, but......Ash is almost certainly defeating Cynthia. They haven't hyped up his big match with Leon this much just for him to lose before he even gets that far.
Realistically he shouldn't beat her. This is why Journeys is the outright worst series of the anime, plot armor is just completely way out of control now.

Really? Well thank you, what a nice thing to say! :giggle: You know what, I think I might just do that! (Ummm, BTW,how would I go about doing that exactly? :unsure:)
Sure thing! You just go to the Writer's Workshop and create a new thread. Or if you'd rather just post it as a headcanon, you just go to the "do you have any pokemon anime headcanons?" thread and post your idea there. I actually posted a full Virgil vs Cameron battle there once due to how we only saw the tail end of it in canon.

Will you make a new chat?
Or take an old?
Ummm.....I guess I'll make a new one? (I saw that you too sent me instructions on what to do, thanks for trying to help! Appreciate it! :))
Realistically he shouldn't beat her. This is why Journeys is the outright worst series of the anime, plot armor is just completely way out of control now.
Oh don't worry, I have plenty of problems with Journeys as a whole, ranging from animation to character gripes. That said, is it really the worst just because of this? Ash was most likely going to face Cynthia at some point anyway, don't forget he expressed great interest in doing so back in DP, and I'm sure that interest has not diminished any. Besides, for how strong Cynthia is, Ash is much, much stronger now than he was in DP. He's more than a match for her at this point.
Sure thing! You just go to the Writer's Workshop and create a new thread. Or if you'd rather just post it as a headcanon, you just go to the "do you have any pokemon anime headcanons?" thread and post your idea there. I actually posted a full Virgil vs Cameron battle there once due to how we only saw the tail end of it in canon.
Thank you very much for your help! :giggle: (I actually partially came up with a headcanon for the Ash vs Cameron battle, it mostly involved Snivy evolving.)

Right? Now that would be cool. (And give Ash a Mega Stone holder for Lucario while he's at it, if Charizard, Gardevoir, and Korrina's Lucario get to keep theirs, why can't Ash's Lucario have one? At least actually have it hold the Mega Stone in its hands, for god's sake. The whole, "Mega Stone comes floating down out of nowhere" bit is just......really dumb. (Not to mention it makes no sense, even for this anime.)
I blame SM for that one. They started it (which only compounds the nonsensical nature of it when Journeys kept the holders for Pokémon that had it in XY yet Pokémon from beyond it lack it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom