• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN115: Opening! Masters Tournament!!

Isn't it kind of strange and disrespectful alike that Ash prefers to watch the battles from the stand instead of being among the greatest trainers on earth?? I mean I would literally die if I could be in that room and I think Ash should do the same, even if it's only out of respect for Cynthia :notworthy:, Lance and Steven
Not really. If anything, Ash is the most respectful for wanting to watch each of their battles in person.

All the other battles are getting full episodes, so they obviously won't be as rushed as this one.
Prob, It is not a fact though. More minutes than in the first match for sure. Wish in the Semis they wont rush Leon again.

I expected more from Hop, not from the battle but from the character himself. He feels more of a Barry clone (likely so he makes a better contrast with Goh) than the lovable nerd from the games. I hope he gets better.

The first half was okay. We didn't got many interactions between the cast as I hoped but still enough to be entertaining. It could have made better use of its runtime though, there were lots of unnecessary shots of Wobbuffet and Morpeko. And talking about Team Rocket, I'm not a fan of their designs, they feel like the fellow kids meme.

About the battle I agree with the general consensus. Rillaboom vs Chesnaught was decent and quick-paced, but the later part was extremely rushed. But I'm not as mad with that as with the treatment of Alain in general. Yeah, they needed a character that could lose to Leon quickly and for ahem, marketing reasons it couldn't be another champion, but it also had to be a character that could still cause anticipation with the fans so he seemed like a logical choice. The problem is that as it has happened several times in this series the writers didn't think about the implications and fan expectations so they handwaved everything. Alain and Ash's friendship was nonexistant, and we learnt nothing new about him. I hope next battles can make better use of the runtime, as if this episode is anything to go by we shouldn't expect another Alola League.

Not really. If anything, Ash is the most respectful for wanting to watch each of their battles in person.
He could do just that in the VIP room as well, just like all the other champions that are watching the other battles too. ;);) That's no excuse for being that disrespectful to the greatest opponents he's ever had

He could do just that in the VIP room as well, just like all the other champions that are watching the other battles too. ;);) That's no excuse for being that disrespectful to the greatest opponents he's ever had
I'm sorry but... how is that disrespect, exactly?

To be fair, I do wish we could've seen Ash interacting with the Champs a bit more, but him choosing to watch it on the stadium itself is not only completely in-character for him (which the champions themselves stated, mind you), but it's not disrespect, plain and simple. No one was offended. In fact, Diantha and Cynthia found it cute.

I get that you really like the Champions, but they aren't "gods that need to wordshipped 24/7" or anything of the sort. In fact, Ash treating them like any other person (which is exactly what they are) actually helps reinforce that Ash himself is one of them.

I'm sorry but... how is that disrespect, exactly?

To be fair, I do wish we could've seen Ash interacting with the Champs a bit more, but him choosing to watch it on the stadium itself is not only completely in-character for him (which the champions themselves stated, mind you), but it's not disrespect, plain and simple. No one was offended. In fact, Diantha and Cynthia found it cute.

I get that you really like the Champions, but they aren't "gods that need to wordshipped 24/7" or anything of the sort. In fact, Ash treating them like any other person (which is exactly what they are) actually helps reinforce that Ash himself is one of them.
First, Cynthia didn't find it cute, she was just surprised that Iris didn't join Ash.

As for the question if Ash's behavior is disrespectful or not, well I guess it depends on how you define respect and what you consider natural behavior. I admit that's a subjective matter, at least partly.
Look, if you invited a very important, special person to, say, a party, would you leave that person all alone or would you want to be with him/her all day long?
The same goes here: I'm not talking about worshipping the champions (although for Cynthia it might be appropriate ;)), I'm talking about the fact that the greatest trainers in the whole world are gathered and it must be a dream that's come true for Ash. But instead of spending every second with them, as a sign of respect and in order to learn from them, Ash behaves like a totally ordinary spectator.

And this brings me to the second point: Ash is the Alola Champion and member of the Masters Eight, yet he just doesn't behave like one. What is one of the secrets of the popularity of trainers like Cynthia, Lance, Steven etc.? They radiate dignity and superiority and act accordingly! Ash is totally lacking that despite his status and him not wanting to join the other champions is proof to me that character-wise he's still not on the same level as they are.

And last but not least, let's not forget even the playful little Iris wants to be with the champions and recognizes their importance

The result wasn't hard to predict. Surely it was a landslide victory. I felt like Alain was just used for to be the placeholder against Leon. I know that it was just to show that how overpowered Leon beat easily an older stronger opponent of Ash. And to show that the upcoming path is really rock bed hard for Ash. But still I felt bad for Alain.

First, Cynthia didn't find it cute, she was just surprised that Iris didn't join Ash.

As for the question if Ash's behavior is disrespectful or not, well I guess it depends on how you define respect and what you consider natural behavior. I admit that's a subjective matter, at least partly.
Look, if you invited a very important, special person to, say, a party, would you leave that person all alone or would you want to be with him/her all day long?
The same goes here: I'm not talking about worshipping the champions (although for Cynthia it might be appropriate ;)), I'm talking about the fact that the greatest trainers in the whole world are gathered and it must be a dream that's come true for Ash. But instead of spending every second with them, as a sign of respect and in order to learn from them, Ash behaves like a totally ordinary spectator.

And this brings me to the second point: Ash is the Alola Champion and member of the Masters Eight, yet he just doesn't behave like one. What is one of the secrets of the popularity of trainers like Cynthia, Lance, Steven etc.? They radiate dignity and superiority and act accordingly! Ash is totally lacking that despite his status and him not wanting to join the other champions is proof to me that character-wise he's still not on the same level as they are.

And last but not least, let's not forget even the playful little Iris wants to be with the champions and recognizes their importance
I think you should not make the 'dream' part as a picture related to Ash. He must not act like a fan himself cause he wont be so 'superior' then? It is the same Ash that can't refuse a battle and it is so him to be in the crowed pumped up - It is not like he is not having the respect he should. What would you say about Leon sleeping on the grass waiting to see Ash's battle? Is he soft because of his willing to watch Ash? Or is it the microphone making him cooler cause of PR?

Ash is acting like Ash, no need to try and take the personality as disadvantage. It is not like the better trainer is the one who watch battles on TV. We sure know HOP is not getting to any higher levels by watching his big bro on TV.

And again, Ash acting like Ieis will get hom to a point he is not on their level. As you said he should behave like them right? Wont see Cynthia asking Lance for any autograph?

What is one of the secrets of the popularity of trainers like Cynthia, Lance, Steven etc.? They radiate dignity and superiority and act accordingly! Ash is totally lacking that despite his status and him not wanting to join the other champions is proof to me that character-wise he's still not on the same level as they are.
How dare a child not want to sit in an empty room with a bunch of adults rather than watching a battle with his friend in a more fun and exciting environment?

There is absolutely nothing in the franchise that even suggests Champions are obligated to act a certain way.
Well, that's your personal opinion. Sure, there are no "official" rules for champions how to behave. But in my eyes it's just so natural and goes without saying that I kind of find it strange having to explain it explicitly. It's called charisma and you can simply feel it if somebody has it or not. And that's exactly what distinguishes the "real" and dignified Champions like Cynthia, Lance, Steven and Diantha and trainers like Ash who have just recently become champions (depends on how you consider the Alola league) but obviously still need to learn a lot. I'm not saying Ash is a bad person. I'm just trying to say he still has to learn how to act like a real champion. Look, he's sitting there in the stadium and nobody around him seems to even recognize him. That speaks for itself, doesn't it?

And btw. there actually are certain external signs that underline the champions' dignity and charisma: Leon's and Lance's coat, Steven's elegant appearance and as for Cynthia...everything about her is a pure masterpiece. So yes, the franchise does indeed have certain ideas how champions (should) behave.

What would you say about Leon sleeping on the grass waiting to see Ash's battle?
You took the words right out of my mouth :LOL: That exactly why I've never liked Leon and his behavior which often lacks dignity ;)

It is not like the better trainer is the one who watch battles on TV
It's not about watching it on TV or in the stadium. It's all about being with the other champions, an experience and chance of a lifetime.

Wont see Cynthia asking Lance for any autograph?
Well at least Iris knew how to behave respectfully and grasped the opportunity when she asked Cynthia and Diantha for a selfie.

Ash is acting like Ash
I'd say quite the contrary! The Ash we know would be totally hyped and thrilled if he learned that he could watch all those battles together with the greatest trainers in the world. Never would he prefer sitting in the stadium with all those random guys when he is offered that chance of a lifetime instead.
So, I'd say this Ash we're seeing right now is totally out of character

How dare a child not want to sit in an empty room with a bunch of adults rather than watching a battle with his friend in a more fun and exciting environment?
I'm afraid you're missing my point. Those are not "a bunch of adults", those are the greatest trainers in the world! (If anything it's those ordinary guys sitting around Ash in the stadium that you could call "a bunch of adults")
Also, we should stop calling Ash a kid. This whole "Ash stays 10 years forever" thing is just nonsense. Neither is it logical nor could a 10-year-old boy travel the world and become a champion. Yes, I know it's his "official" age but if Ash's story is meant to make any sense I guess we should consider that as one of the few flaws of the Anime and something we can't change. I for one prefer to take Ash's status as champion seriously and that's why I said he should act a bit more maturely.

Last edited:
You took the words right out of my mouth :LOL: That exactly why I've never liked Leon and his behavior which often lacks dignity ;)
Not all Champions are obligated to act the same way. With Leon, in particular, it makes sense for him to act the way he does. He's basically a grown-up player character, a big child who likes to goof off and have fun battling, just like Ash.
Well at least Iris knew how to behave respectfully and grasped the opportunity when she asked Cynthia and Diantha for a selfie.
Iris stayed behind just to get the selfie. Even Cynthia was surprised she didn't go with Ash.
I'd say quite the contrary! The Ash we know would be totally hyped and thrilled if he learned that he could watch all those battles together with the greatest trainers in the world. Never would he prefer sitting in the stadium with all those random guys when he is offered that chance of a lifetime instead.
Experiencing something live is much more thrilling than doing so through a screen. And Ash, if anyone, wants to experience battles as close as he can.

Experiencing something live is much more thrilling than doing so through a screen. And Ash, if anyone, wants to experience battles as close as he can.
Although you're not saying it directly, it kind of implies that the other seven members of the Masters Eight are boring grown-ups (except for Iris) that have lost their passion for battles? ;)

Although you're not saying it directly, it kind of implies that the other seven members of the Masters Eight are boring grown-ups (except for Iris) that have lost their passion for battles? ;)
No. Ash is just a child who wants to experience the excitement as close as possible.

If anything, Ash acting the way that he does shows an endearing amount of humility that really says a lot of how he’s grown over the course of the series. OS Ash would have compl taken in the spotlight of the Masters 8, letting it go to his head. Here though, we have an Ash who has been a champion the entire series yet even Go didn’t even know about it until relatively recently. Being a champion isn’t the same as being done important leader. There’s no dress code and there’s no code of conduct as to how they act.

Also, we should stop calling Ash a kid. This whole "Ash stays 10 years forever" thing is just nonsense. Neither is it logical nor could a 10-year-old boy travel the world and become a champion. Yes, I know it's his "official" age but if Ash's story is meant to make any sense I guess we should consider that as one of the few flaws of the Anime and something we can't change. I for one prefer to take Ash's status as champion seriously and that's why I said he should act a bit more maturely.
He’s a kid because that’s how he looks, behaves and how he’s officially called several times throughout the show. By the end of the day, this is a power fantasy showing kids that you can go to the stars if you try hard enough, applying age related logic doesn’t work.

Also, I don’t get the beef with his looks when Diantha and Lance attend the biggest tournament in the world in Halloween costumes.

Well, that's your personal opinion. Sure, there are no "official" rules for champions how to behave. But in my eyes it's just so natural and goes without saying that I kind of find it strange having to explain it explicitly. It's called charisma and you can simply feel it if somebody has it or not. And that's exactly what distinguishes the "real" and dignified Champions like Cynthia, Lance, Steven and Diantha and trainers like Ash who have just recently become champions (depends on how you consider the Alola league) but obviously still need to learn a lot. I'm not saying Ash is a bad person. I'm just trying to say he still has to learn how to act like a real champion. Look, he's sitting there in the stadium and nobody around him seems to even recognize him. That speaks for itself, doesn't it?

And btw. there actually are certain external signs that underline the champions' dignity and charisma: Leon's and Lance's coat, Steven's elegant appearance and as for Cynthia...everything about her is a pure masterpiece. So yes, the franchise does indeed have certain ideas how champions (should) behave.

It's not about watching it on TV or in the stadium. It's all about being with the other champions, an experience and chance of a lifetime.

I'm afraid you're missing my point. Those are not "a bunch of adults", those are the greatest trainers in the world! (If anything it's those ordinary guys sitting around Ash in the stadium that you could call "a bunch of adults")
I guess we wont agree on this subject, you look at it differently. For me it is obvious, the fact he is so pumped for the last episodes. He is just mentally ready (not sure if strong ebough though) to throw himself into the ring against any trainer regardless their interactions before.

The openning of the ep' with Hop challenging Ash and he is right away sending Pikachu... like he can't stop for a sec and re-think his action. Maybe it is not what a champion would normally do? Maybe I need to focus? Maybe I shouldn't do that because of cameras? Maybe it will make Pikachu on a risk? Do I need this extra exp?

But it is ok if the trainer in master rank will decide to let any other trainer to taste some - it is not like Cynthia wasnt batteling Iris before.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom