• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no strategist, but I think Democrat politicians running for election this year need to showcase the fact that the Republicans have assured a nation-wide abortion ban when they gain power again. There is a lot of apathy, and I'm afraid that apathy could continue. If Democrats run on "We will enshrine the right to abortion for everyone", I'm not sure that will be effective, because that has been promised by both President Obama and President Biden and hasn't ever come to fruition. People are disillusioned.

While it seems like abortion should be a major voting incentive for liberals and the left, I don't think it can be alone because they're just going to be like "What difference does it make who's in power? Democrats are in power right now and this still happened!". Yes, this viewpoint is not looking at the whole picture, but that ignorance is just going to be a thing. Running on, "if you don't vote for us, we can't stop this from happening", that may be a better strategy. I don't know.

Liberals and leftists also don't seem to care enough about damage control, as we saw with the 2016 election. I just don't know how to best approach this, but this abortion issue can completely fail to incentivize liberal/left voters if they aren't given some solid reason to know that Democrats in office are going to make a difference. The only real way to get that point out is that the Republicans will make a nation-wide ban if they get into power. It won't get through a Democrat House and Senate, and that's an easy to swallow fact.

Spent way too much time on Reddit before they banned me for doing the chicken joke from devil's rejects but replacing the chicken with a loli. It honestly saved my sanity.

You have not seen catastrophist defeatism until you have been on reddit. They laughed off the polish church storming 2 years ago because the bans are still in place, but I'm pretty sure the polish left has a plan for ousting Duda. The american left wants to die at the guns and machetes of jesus's zomowiecki and ubecki.
You see, this is why you never go to Reddit for politics.

Kind of mind blowing to look at everything happening in America right now and realize it's all because White conservatives lost their shit over a Black man getting elected President and gay people getting marriage rights.
It would not surprise me if the martyrdom complex that site has was far more widespread than just itself.
Online leftists and performative agony, name a more iconic duo.

i think that is a little bit reductive, as if the republican party hasnt been playing a decades long game to erode what remains of our welfare state and protections for minorities

i think that is a little bit reductive, as if the republican party hasnt been playing a decades long game to erode what remains of our welfare state and protections for minorities
Sure, the GOP has been terrible for a long time, but they didn't go full-blown fascist until after the aforementioned events.

Sure, the GOP has been terrible for a long time, but they didn't go full-blown fascist until after the aforementioned events.
the things that are happening now have been their explicitly stated goals for decades

I'm no strategist, but I think Democrat politicians running for election this year need to showcase the fact that the Republicans have assured a nation-wide abortion ban when they gain power again. There is a lot of apathy, and I'm afraid that apathy could continue. If Democrats run on "We will enshrine the right to abortion for everyone", I'm not sure that will be effective, because that has been promised by both President Obama and President Biden and hasn't ever come to fruition. People are disillusioned.

While it seems like abortion should be a major voting incentive for liberals and the left, I don't think it can be alone because they're just going to be like "What difference does it make who's in power? Democrats are in power right now and this still happened!". Yes, this viewpoint is not looking at the whole picture, but that ignorance is just going to be a thing. Running on, "if you don't vote for us, we can't stop this from happening", that may be a better strategy. I don't know.

Liberals and leftists also don't seem to care enough about damage control, as we saw with the 2016 election. I just don't know how to best approach this, but this abortion issue can completely fail to incentivize liberal/left voters if they aren't given some solid reason to know that Democrats in office are going to make a difference. The only real way to get that point out is that the Republicans will make a nation-wide ban if they get into power. It won't get through a Democrat House and Senate, and that's an easy to swallow fact.

Republicans finally got the Roe v. Wade decision they wanted, and in public, they are delighted.

More quietly, however, according to interviews with more than a dozen Republican strategists and party officials, they just didn’t want it to come right now — not during a midterm election campaign in which nearly everything had been going right for the GOP.

“This is not a conversation we want to have,” said John Thomas, a Republican strategist who works on House campaigns across the country. “We want to have a conversation about the economy. We want to have a conversation about Joe Biden, about pretty much anything else besides Roe … This is a losing issue for Republicans.”

The decision, issued Friday, was a landmark victory for conservatives who have held up overturning Roe as an ambition of near-biblical significance, fundraising, organizing and legislating off opposition to abortion rights for nearly half a century.

But it’s a victory that will almost certainly come at a cost. In Republican circles, a consensus has been forming for weeks that the court’s overturning of a significant — and highly popular — precedent on a deeply felt issue will be a liability for the party in the midterms and beyond, undercutting Republicans to at least some degree with moderates and suburban women.

Before Roe came down, said a former Republican congressman familiar with the party’s campaign operation, “Everything was going our way. Gas is above $5. Inflation is a giant problem.”

“The only thing [Democrats] have got going for them is the Roe thing, which is what, 40 years of settled law that will be changed that will cause some societal consternation,” said the former congressman, granted anonymity to speak candidly. “And can they turn that into some turnout? I think the answer is probably ‘Yes.’”

“Maybe instead of losing 45 seats, they lose 30,” he said, while at a minimum, “there will be a few seats that Republicans would have won without [the abortion rights decision], and they may not win them now.”

One Republican operative familiar with polling in federal and state races and spoke on condition of anonymity said the most important impact may be on swing voters who lean Republican. “It takes a sizeable bloc of voters who were leaning [Republican], and it gives them reason to vote Democrat,” he said. “And they haven’t had any reason to vote Democrat in quite a while.”

But even if Roe alone is not sufficient to remake the midterms in Democrats’ favor, it could fit into what Longwell called an “overall case the Democratic Party should be prosecuting against Republicans” — wedding Roe with the court’s decision the previous day on gun control, among other issues, to depict the post-Donald Trump GOP as one still animated by extremes.

On Friday, the court provided fodder for that line of attack, when Justice Clarence Thomas, in a concurring opinion, argued the court “should reconsider” protections for contraception access and same-sex marriage. And the post-Roe fallout itself will reverberate in states for months, focusing attention on state-level campaigns as red-leaning states prepare to enact restrictions.

Already, Republicans are wincing at the consequences. In the swing state of Pennsylvania, Democrats have been pummeling the Republican gubernatorial nominee, Doug Mastriano, for a position opposing abortion rights that includes no exceptions for rape, incest or the life of the mother. In Georgia, another swing state, the Republican U.S. Senate nominee, Herschel Walker, is facing similar criticism. In a message that Democrats will likely repeat for months, incumbent Sen. Raphael Warnock issued a fundraising appeal on Friday afternoon with the subject line: “Our opponent says he wants a total ban on abortion.”

i dont think we can afford to wait and hope enough people are disgusted by this decision that dems will sweep in november:

Y'all quaeda becomes al-Qaeda (but for christ) and everybody's reaction is to lay down and die.

We brought this on ourselves. True King Allant's words ring quite true here. Very few people that grew up with DPPT want to go on.

i dont think we can afford to wait and hope enough people are disgusted by this decision that dems will sweep in november:
It doesn't matter how many switched to the GOP before the latest SCOTUS ruling, if they won't be as motivated to vote as Dems will be:

The overall results show by a 56% to 40% margin, respondents oppose the court’s decision to overturn Roe with this including 45% who strongly oppose it. 4% did not share an opinion.

With voting, 78% of Democrats indicated the Supreme Court’s decision makes them more likely to vote this fall, that’s 24 points higher than Republicans.

In other news:

The funniest thing about conservatives is that even after they strip people of their human rights they still expect to be treated with respect by common people.

Last edited:
This entire thing has been the sacrifice of long term goals for short term gain. It's already beginning to backfire.

For anyone who was “Bernie or bust” in 2016, this is what “bust” looks like. Remember that for future elections.
There were virtually zero people like this. The number of people who voted for Bernie then sat out or voted for trump is smaller than the number of people who voted Clinton -> McCain in 08

There were virtually zero people like this. The number of people who voted for Bernie then sat out or voted for trump is smaller than the number of people who voted Clinton -> McCain in 08
10% isn’t exactly nothing. And it’s not just that they stayed home/voted for Trump; they actively encouraged other people to do the same. Plus, I’ve got way too many memories of supposed progressives calling me and others “dramatic” or “hysterical” or worse for bringing up SCOTUS in 2016.

10% isn’t exactly nothing. And it’s not just that they stayed home/voted for Trump; they actively encouraged other people to do the same. Plus, I’ve got way too many memories of supposed progressives calling me and others “dramatic” or “hysterical” or worse for bringing up SCOTUS in 2016.
I don’t think it’s productive to waste time getting mad at a left without any institutional power instead of the actual empowered and ascendant and minoritarian right wing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom