• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN118: Satoshi Goes into Battle! VS Daigo!!

I feel bad for anyone who has to face the wrath of Pikashunium-Z. There’s no way to practice against it, since Ash is the only trainer in the world who can use it. Not to mention that Z-Moves seem to be rare outside of Alola in general. Even though this was the first time it didn’t OHKO on impact, all it took was one extra, not-very-effective, Iron Tail to wrap things up. 10 Million Thunderbolt has to be one of the strongest moves in the entire anime universe, especially considering that Volkner’s Electivire could not take in the electricity at all.
Metagross probably would've died if he took each bolt of damage imo.

I was very much prepared to see a May & Max cameo in front of TV, maybe even Norman with them. That was a little disappointing.

One thing I find rather weird is how when Ash won the Alola League, Team Rocket was nowhere to be seen. They were merely not caring about his victor even the slightest. But here, they are very much cheering for him and Pikachu, so it is a bit weird to me how their approach to Ash's serious battles changes so drastically with nothing to back it up.

One thing I simply can't accept that easily:
When Gengar was using Will-O-Wisp, Steven/Aggron were just standing there motionless as if they were fascinated by the red lights. They just took the hit that eventually led to Aggron's defeat (which was way too early as I already mentioned). But why?? I could immediately think of two very effective ways to counter Gengar's move:
Aggron using Rock Seal on itself and hiding behind it which would have blocked Will-O-Wisp completely or Aggron using something like Stone Edge that not only would probably have destroyed Will-O-Wisp but also would have been a dangerous counter-attack at the same time. (I guess in the next life I should become a Pokemon Trainer myself :D)
I just don't get it why Steven was just watching...

If they've already resorted to pulling out such flagrant bs for the sake of Ash's win then it's obvious that his battle against Cynthia is set to be a borderline insulting mess.
Let's just hope that won't come true under any circumstances. It would just be a nightmare!
If the saddest thing in the show (Cynthia having to lose to Ash) seems to be inevitable, then I want that battle to be at least the most epic one in the Anime ever.

One thing I find rather weird is how when Ash won the Alola League, Team Rocket was nowhere to be seen. They were merely not caring about his victor even the slightest. But here, they are very much cheering for him and Pikachu, so it is a bit weird to me how their approach to Ash's serious battles changes so drastically with nothing to back it up.
Maybe TR were a bit sour in Alola since they entered the league themselves?

One thing I simply can't accept that easily:
When Gengar was using Will-O-Wisp, Steven/Aggron were just standing there motionless as if they were fascinated by the red lights. They just took the hit that eventually led to Aggron's defeat (which was way too early as I already mentioned). But why?? I could immediately think of two very effective ways to counter Gengar's move:
Aggron using Rock Seal on itself and hiding behind it which would have blocked Will-O-Wisp completely or Aggron using something like Stone Edge that not only would probably have destroyed Will-O-Wisp but also would have been a dangerous counter-attack at the same time. (I guess in the next life I should become a Pokemon Trainer myself :D)
I just don't get it why Steven was just watching...
It’s sadly a depressingly consistent aspect of JN battles, my guess is it’s to have it be more “game accurate” which is a atrocious reason or because it’s simply easier and quicker to write “Aggron get hits by x” rather than “Aggron dodges, counter attacks with stone edge, Gengar weaves through the stones and then uses will o wisp when he gets close” because it’s faster, ends the battles
quicker, and simpler to animate.

Reaallllyyy hoping for that staff overhaul when the SV anime comes

It’s sadly a depressingly consistent aspect of JN battles, my guess is it’s to have it be more “game accurate” which is a atrocious reason or because it’s simply easier and quicker to write “Aggron get hits by x” rather than “Aggron dodges, counter attacks with stone edge, Gengar weaves through the stones and then uses will o wisp when he gets close” because it’s faster, ends the battles
quicker, and simpler to animate.
They did that in other portions of the battle. Metagross was doging the whole match, Gengar was trying to avoid the vines, etc. It's generally cherrypicking.

I was very much prepared to see a May & Max cameo in front of TV, maybe even Norman with them. That was a little disappointing.

It is simple, realy...
Alola championship was nowhere known to the world, while now we are getting Ash and Pikachu against the top 3 ranked champions.

Team Rocket wanted to take Pikachu to their Boss for so long. How does it feel to fail repeatedly for 25 years on their goal to put their hands on Pikachu once and for all? And does it mater if Pikachu turned out to be just a weak pokemon overall or if it is confirmed to be a pokemon of the highest levels? (Maybe the strongest if it will be his final say against Leon)

Previous region cuts beyond Oak's Lab haven't shown companions, more the friends, rivals and professors Ash and his traveling companions met. Cilan wasn't in the previous episode, ditto for Brock and Misty in the one before. So it's consistent May and Max weren't in shown in this one.

The only salvable part of the battle was Cradily vs Gengar & Pikachu, it really got to shine. Aggron was looking good until it was taking down by the effects of Will-O-Wisp (too quick imo) and the final clash with Pikachu vs Metagross was underwhelming for the most part. Expected much more intensity and durability in a fight between two aces.

Back
Top Bottom