• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DNC has a history of throwing the most progressive candidates under the bus, and they show no signs of stopping that unfortunately. I mean, look at how they mistreated Bernie twice.

And you wonder why I voted Green party in these last two elections.

And you wonder why I voted Green party in these last two elections.
The US Green Party utterly debased themselves with their "no arms for Ukraine, both sides are to blame" stance on Russia's invasion. They even went so far as to repeat Kremlin's propaganda and lies about a supposed NATO promise not to "expand" to Eastern Europe.

Bunch of hand-wringing tankies who believe we should respect Russia's so-called "sphere of influence". Screw the US Green Party.

Jill Stein is a literal Kremlin puppet. As someone who had to house 4 Ukrainian refugees the past months, I implore you to stop giving your votes to them.

russia_dinner2000.jpg

The US Green Party utterly debased themselves with their "no arms for Ukraine, both sides are to blame" stance on Russia's invasion. They even went so far as to repeat Kremlin's propaganda and lies about a supposed NATO promise not to "expand" to Eastern Europe.

Bunch of hand-wringing tankies who believe we should respect Russia's so-called "sphere of influence". Screw the US Green Party.

Jill Stein is a literal Kremlin puppet. As someone who had to house 4 Ukrainian refugees the past months, I implore you to stop giving your votes to them.

View attachment 161761
Oh wow. I did not know ANY of that. Now I need a different sort of protest vote for 2024 if things go the way I think they're going to. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Did the GOP really thought that everyone would by midterms forget about Roe being overturned?

Shit like this will keep happening as long as these draconian anti-abortion laws remain in force in red states.

Republican Rep. Jim Jordan deleted a tweet on Wednesday in which he called the story of a 10-year-old Ohio girl receiving an abortion after being raped "another lie" following the arrest of a man in connection with the case.

"Another lie. Anyone surprised?" Jordan, an Ohio Republican, wrote on Twitter in a message on his official account that quoted a story about Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost's office initially saying it had not found any evidence to support the rape charge.

The case received national attention and President Joe Biden mentioned it during a major speech about abortion policy in the wake of the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade.

On Wednesday, authorities charged Gershon Fuentes, 27, with rape, news that was first reported by The Columbus Post Dispatch. Law enforcement said that Fuentes admitted to raping the child on two occasions. DNA from the aborted fetus is also being tested to confirm if Fuentes forcibly impregnated the girl. The girl reportedly traveled to Indiana to receive the abortion at six weeks of pregnancy because of Ohio's new abortion laws.

Did the GOP really thought that everyone would by midterms forget about Roe being overturned?

Shit like this will keep happening as long as these draconian anti-abortion laws remain in force in red states.
And they immediately pivoted from "the story is fake" to "the abortion doctor should face criminal charges." Not going to link anything, but Fox News has been plastering the doctor's picture all over their airwaves today. It looks like right-wing media outlets are all racing against each other to become the American RTLM.

Oh wow. I did not know ANY of that. Now I need a different sort of protest vote for 2024 if things go the way I think they're going to. Thank you for opening my eyes.
Protest voting is useless; it achieves literally nothing.

And you wonder why they lash out when presented with the horseshoe....

This information was available to the Indiana AG before he announced he would investigate the doctor. He’s putting her at risk simply to raise his own profile.

I've seen these two articles on Discord, though I'm not sure if they should go here or in the International Politics Thread...

The GOP has decided to make sure that no one forgets for even a moment about that time they tried to force a 10 year old to give birth.

This feels like they're sending a warning to doctors and future victims: Don't make us look bad, or we'll destroy you.

I was reading We Hunted The Mammoth's comment section and found an interesting pattern amongst the doomerism: They expect a second civil war as well as a more conventional holocaust-like genocide.

The terrible truth is they won't need go go that far. With the kind of attitude people have, they're clearly perfectly willing to allow things like the indiana case to continue happening forever as long as it affects them. If they're not, they're basically suicidal out of ideology.

People gave up already. You can see it amongst the left that should have been the opposition. The blatantly malthusian beliefs regarding climate resilence should have been a dead giveaway. In Europe, even Eastern Europe, people are bitterly, savagely fighting back for their democracy, even in explicit dictatorships like Russia, Belarus, Hungary, and Kazakhstan. Even countries that were never democratic.

We, on the other hand, see fit to die martyrs than live people.

Do you guys think that Republicans will now realize that opposing the right to abortion is deeply unpopular among Americans? Nah, they'll keep doubling down all the way to the midterms:

Kansans secured a huge win for abortion rights in the US on Tuesday night when they voted to continue to protect abortion in the state constitution.

The race was called by a host of US groups like NBC News, the New York Times and Decision Desk HQ.

The move will be seen as huge a loss for the anti-abortion movement and a major win for abortion rights advocates across America, who will see the result as a bellwether for popular opinion.

Kansas – a deeply conservative and usually reliably Republican state – is the first US state to put abortion rights to a vote since the US supreme court ruled to overturn constitutional protections for abortion in late June.

The state will remain a safe haven for abortion in the midwest, as one of the few states in the region where it remains legal to perform the procedure. Many other states have undertaken moves to make abortion largely illegal since June.

Joe Biden issued a statement welcoming the result. “This vote makes clear what we know: the majority of Americans agree that women should have access to abortion and should have the right to make their own health care decisions,” the US president said.

The Kansas state senator Dinah Sikes, a Democrat, cried as the vote came in, and turned to her friends and colleagues, showing them goosebumps on her arm.

“It’s just amazing. It’s breathtaking that women’s voices were heard and we care about women’s health,” she told the Guardian, after admitting she had thought the vote would be close. “But we were close in a lot of rural areas and that really made the difference – I’m just so grateful,” she said.

The “No” campaign – which was protecting abortion rights – was strongly ahead in the referendum with 62% of the vote with the majority of ballots counted. That means millions of dollars lost for the Catholic church who contributed more than $3m trying to eradicate abortion rights in Kansas, according to campaign finance records.

On the other hand, the GOP senate is bravely retreating after they were humiliated by angry veterans, but not after footage of GOP shitheads doing fistbumps after first blocking the bill became viral:

Clean up on aisle four!

Facing overwhelming backlash after tanking a previously-approved veterans health benefits bill (known as the PACT Act) out of spite over Democrats’ climate and tax legislation, the Senate’s Republican leadership now seems to have realized that the tantrum isn’t worth it.

Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), one of the 25 Republicans who had abruptly switched their initial “yes” vote to a “no,” signaled on Monday that the bill, which provides aid for veterans suffering from toxic exposures, will overcome the blockade when Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) puts it up for a vote again.

“It will pass this week,” McConnell said.

A similarly squirmy Senate Republican Conference chair John Barrasso (R-WY), the third-ranking GOP senator and another Republican who had changed his vote, told Politico that he would “expect it to pass.”

Senate Minority Whip John Thune (R-SD), who voted against the legislation both times, said that at “some point” the bill “is going to pass and it will pass big.”

The leaders’ backtracking marks an attempt at damage control as Republican senators find themselves getting raked over the coals for blocking the PACT Act, which had initially passed the Senate in a largely bipartisan 84-14 vote last month but was brought to a vote again last week due to a technical error.

When the legislation was put to a vote again, 25 Republicans who’d voted for it the first time inexplicably blocked the bill; a move that was widely understood to be a flailing attempt at politically motivated retaliation after Schumer and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) announced a deal on a bill to address climate change, drug pricing and corporate taxes.

There's still a lot of time until midterms. Let's see how much further the GOP will debase itself and how many more horror stories of impregnated kids being denied abortion will come out until then.

Last edited:
You know...

I find it immensely funny that the same crowd that breathlessly posted about Hillary's emails is now awfully silent about Trump's Mar-a-Lago home being raided by the FBI.

Without double standards, conservatives wouldn't have any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom