• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unpopular Thoughts about the Main Character's Pokemon?

That's possible, but I think that they could have gone for a better balance if that was the case. Cinderace being pushed to the sideline felt especially weird for how they normally treat a character's first Pokemon. Plus, I'm not sure if Cinderace being moved out of the spotlight helped with giving Sobble or Grookey more screentime and development. If anything, it felt like they rushed through Sobble's evolutions in part because Goh already had Grookey to serve as the cute marketable Pokemon.

Yeah, I think they always changed the treatment of pokemon/characters along the road. If we look back it is so divided and not in an orgenized way. It is a main problem with JNS in general.

Being really heartbroken or depressed can be hard to recover from and Goh did try to reassure that they could still work together only for Drizzle to still be hiding in its cave. Admittedly, I might be reading too much into it, or at least connecting the dots that the show maybe left too vague, and Sobble was there when they first explained its evolution line in the lab too, but I think it generally kind of worked. We just needed more episodes between those evolutions, especially to explain how and why Drizzle gained the motivation to train on its own at night, to make it more emotionally effective.
I agree that depression is difficult to beat. The anime was being realistic about it. Now I’m not saying that Drizzile was in the wrong for feeling depressed. It’s just the reason behind the depression should have been written better. It was problematic when nobody even bothered to console Drizzile by telling it that it just needed to train harder to evolve into Interleon (anyone with depression knows how much of a terrible feeling to always be brooding when you aren’t aware of any solutions for your situation). Now if the boys told Drizzile this and Drizzile took a longer time than usual to evolve, it would have come off as extremely sympathetic. More episodes dealing with the depression would have also been helpful so I agree with that.

A part of me almost wish that he did get a Cyndaquil to replace Grookey. Even if it did nothing but be cute, seeing Cynadquil get more attention would still make me happy. It's still just so strange to me that they wanted to make sure that Goh had an unevolved starter Pokemon for most of the series.
Well actually Ash and Dawn had Cyndaquils in the past (and they even both evolved), so it would have been too much screen time for Cyndaquils.

Last edited:
I agree that depression is difficult to beat. The anime was being realistic about it. Now I’m not saying that Drizzile was in the wrong for feeling depressed. It’s just the reason behind the depression should have been written better. It was problematic when nobody even bothered to console Drizzile by telling it that it just needed to train harder to evolve into Interleon (anyone with depression knows how much of a terrible feeling to always be brooding when you aren’t aware of any solutions for your situation). Now if the boys told Drizzile this and Drizzile took a longer time than usual to evolve, it would have come off as extremely sympathetic. More episodes dealing with the depression would have also been helpful so I agree with that.
Honestly, I find that Drizzile’s disappointment at not instantly becoming an Inteleon didn’t make a whole lot of sense. It was present when Ren had brought up the graphic that showed all 3 forms of the Sobble line, even saying that it was its final evolution so it should have seen that coming from the getgo that it would have to pass through the mid stage to get to the final. Also, Go even encouraged it in the evolution episode that it could still become like the Inteleon that it looked up to, even trying to encourage it to train with him so they could chase their dreams together. Drizzile was having none of it though.

Honestly, I find that Drizzile’s disappointment at not instantly becoming an Inteleon didn’t make a whole lot of sense. It was present when Ren had brought up the graphic that showed all 3 forms of the Sobble line, even saying that it was its final evolution so it should have seen that coming from the getgo that it would have to pass through the mid stage to get to the final. Also, Go even encouraged it in the evolution episode that it could still become like the Inteleon that it looked up to, even trying to encourage it to train with him so they could chase their dreams together. Drizzile was having none of it though.
The only reason to believe it makes sense is his trainer. If it was in the company of Ash you would see the same Drizzle climbing on mountains and ask to battle just to evolve already and gain power..

Well actually Ash and Dawn had Cyndaquils in the past (and they even both evolved), so it would have been too much screen time for Cyndaquils.
I'm well aware that both Ash and Dawn had their own Cyndaquil, but considering that Dawn caught her Cyndaquil over ten years ago, I don't think it would have been too much screentime if Goh had his own. The main reason I brought it up was because Cyndaquil was my first Pokemon when I played Pokemon Silver, so seeing it get any attention in the anime usually makes me pretty happy. Plus, it's such a shame that Typhlosion has so few anime appearances. I almost would have been okay with the writers rushing through a Cyndaquil's evolution if that meant we got to see one of the Typhlosion forms in the anime.

Well unfortunately since Goh already had a fire type (Cinderace), the writers probably wouldn’t have wanted him to have two in his main party. It would have been more fitting for Chloe to have the Cyndaquil instead.
Yeah, having two fire starters might have looked a bit odd for Goh with that in mind. Chloe with a Cyndaquil is a nice idea too. I'm not surprised that didn't happen when they didn't seem interested in giving her any Pokemon after Eevee. It's so baffling that they had that poster with her and Galarian Ponyta and nothing really came out of it.

It's so baffling that they had that poster with her and Galarian Ponyta and nothing really came out of it.
Advertising in JN has been odd in general; remember when people thought Dragonite would be connected to the TRio because it was shown snuggling with Meowth on an early poster? I'm not sure the two have even interacted.

Advertising in JN has been odd in general; remember when people thought Dragonite would be connected to the TRio because it was shown snuggling with Meowth on an early poster? I'm not sure the two have even interacted.
That does sound vaguely familiar. The first trailer with Sobble is infamous for being misleading, but misleading promos has been all over Journeys. I can see why Chloe didn't catch the Galarian Ponyta to a point. Chloe just got Eevee and maybe the idea of giving her another Pokemon so soon after her first was a bit too soon. The fact that it didn't lead to her eventually catching it in a return trip to Galar and that Eevee was always going to be her only Pokemon makes the decision with that poster all the more baffling to me.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom