• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

It's alarming to me that Gen IX's release is not on the same schedule as the anime and card game, and vice versa, or seemingly near it. I don't mind waiting for the next saga, but I hope this serves as an indicator for the respective parties involved to not churn the games out so quickly.
I think the reason lies more in the staff shortage, at least with the anime.

Not likely. It's most like a new series.

The thing is a new series wouldn't be starting in December, since they would have already promoted a S/V season at this point.

So, Episodes 136 and 137 are likely still Journeys (unless these episodes are specials).

Yeah, no. We're starting Paldea after Dec 9th. There's no way they'll pad out the rest of this series with filler or recaps or even specials like The Legend of XYZ. They need ro get to Gen 9 soon.
If we see Paldea in December, it will be a ninth region in Journeys. We would already have information for a S/V season starting in Dec 16th.

There are rumors saying Goh will catch Sprigatito. So, Paldea as a ninth region in Journeys is always possible.

If we see Paldea in December, it will be a ninth region in Journeys. We would already have information for a S/V season starting in Dec 16th.

There are rumors saying Goh will catch Sprigatito. So, Paldea as a ninth region in Journeys is always possible.
Even now that we have episodes for the rest of December, even if we don't know what they are at the moment, I still really wouldn't put much stock in the rumors of Goh catching Sprigatito. I can't say it's impossible, but given that they haven't mentioned anything about Paldea within the anime, I just find it unlikely that one of the first things they'd do would be for Goh to catch one of the new starters. I can't really see Goh just continuing to travel around the world with Ash while sometimes going on Project Mew missions. I love Goh, but it would make much more sense for his character if he was working with Project Mew full time.

The person that shared the rumor said its only a rumor and don't believe it. They didn't say anything supporting it. There really is no good reason to continue on with Goh and they really shouldn't pull a Galar Starters 2.0 situation. I mean we really didn't get the best showcasing of them until Leon used all 3 in his battle with Ash. It was a mistake giving Goh, a character that doesn't even compete in anything, all 3 starters.

Last edited:
There is genuinely no good reason to simply continue Journeys. All of these characters are reaching the conclusions of their arcs for the series.

• Ash just defeated Leon and he was crowned World Champion. That was his goal for this series. They're not gonna just repeat the PWC and have him face Leon again. There's no point. He's either retiring or he's moving onto a new series. More than likely he's continuing on.
  • We haven't seen the conclusion of Goh's story yet, but this is next week. Project Mew is scheduled for two episodes. Either way, after everything with Mew is wrapped up, there won't be anything for him to do. He can just continue to travel with Project Mew off screen.
  • Chloe's already reached her incredibly anti-climactic conclusion. She basically came to the conclusion that she wants to know more about evolution. Her arc is done. The writers obviously have little interest in her since they aren't even willing to make her a full time main character. There's no way they'll keep her around.
Its time to move on with a fresh new cast and fresh new story arcs. Also, Paldea seriously doesn't deserve the treatment Galar got. These characters, Pokemon, and locations deserve a chance to shine.
I hesitate to ask this, but why? What benefit would there be to keep the same world tour format with just adding new regions every few years? It hasn't really done a good job with showcasing newer Pokemon or making better use of older regions, so I don't think keeping the format long term is really beneficial to the anime. Paldea, or really any future region, getting the same treatment that Galar did where it's practically an afterthought doesn't sound appealing to me either.
I would even argue further and say that as far as I'm concerned one region is fully done and that is Alola.

The last two Alola episodes (or rather Lillie and Gladion's episode in the Crown Tundra first) felt like a conclusion and a celebration of everything related to the series. So to then follow it up with more episodes thanks to continuing the underwhelming world tour format would really feel cheap and pandering.

And this is coming from someone who loves Alola and that anime a lot. Let it end on a happy note instead of giving us more eps where they probably won't feature the Alola cast we love half the time anyway.

I hesitate to ask this, but why? What benefit would there be to keep the same world tour format with just adding new regions every few years? It hasn't really done a good job with showcasing newer Pokemon or making better use of older regions, so I don't think keeping the format long term is really beneficial to the anime. Paldea, or really any future region, getting the same treatment that Galar did where it's practically an afterthought doesn't sound appealing to me either.
It allows them to promote the whole franchise instead of just one set of games. That's the reason why I believe Journeys was made.

That is true. But it's most likely a thing exclusive for this generation of the anime.
Although the main series is now far from the most recognizable Pokemon games to the casual audience, as the mobile app Pokemon GO got far more recognition. The anime had to adapt to the changing views of the franchise, where the mobile apps like GO and Masters get more attention than the main series offerings, but the main series still sells extremely well regardless. I believe that Journeys was done primarily to promote those mobile apps, with Gou promoting well, Pokemon GO and Ash promoting Pokemon Masters. I believe that Journeys will continue until both apps are discontinued, which likely won't happen for years.

Although the main series is now far from the most recognizable Pokemon games to the casual audience, as the mobile app Pokemon GO got far more recognition. The anime had to adapt to the changing views of the franchise, where the mobile apps like GO and Masters get more attention than the main series offerings, but the main series still sells extremely well regardless. I believe that Journeys was done primarily to promote those mobile apps, with Gou promoting well, Pokemon GO and Ash promoting Pokemon Masters. I believe that Journeys will continue until both apps are discontinued, which likely won't happen for years.
You are really grasping for straws. The anime is certainly taking steps to be inclusive of elements from mobile games, but they are not and never will be the prime focus. Yes, Goh was created to capitalize on Go's popularity, but to say Ash is promoting Pokemon Masters is an absolutely asinine statement. He has been the protagonist since day 1 and his continued presence is because he's simply too iconic to pull. He wasn't even added to Masters until this year. The game came out in 2019. We weren't seeing all these characters because of Masters. We were seeing everyone like all of Ash's past traveling companions because this was everything they were building up to. It was a celebration of the entire anime, which has been on air for 25 years now. You seriously need to stop spreading misinformation and acting as if you are a spokesperson for TPCI. Just because you believe it, it doesn't mean its a fact

Last edited:
The fans don't invest themselves in the franchise for the mobile games.

Fans are invested in the series for the setting of Pokémon itself. The core games are what started the franchise, but it's merchandise and microtransactions that carry the franchise in terms of profits (TCG, Go, Masters). The common thread through all of those products is the setting of magical monsters that humans catch and make battle.

Children who might not be able to read well enough to play the games (as well as people who don't find turn based combat appealing) can watch the anime, casual gamers who don't have time to sit down with a console have Go and Masters, people with a Switch can buy the core games. The anime is just part of TPC's strategy to appeal to as many demographics as possible so they can make more money. There is literally something for everyone in the franchise.

Story wise, I think Journeys works as an ending to Ash's saga since it revisits all of his past regions and companions, showing what they've achieved, and he wins a world cup. If Ash doesnt leave, I'm expecting something more similar to last series where he goes to Paldea and has a journey there.

It allows them to promote the whole franchise instead of just one set of games. That's the reason why I believe Journeys was made.
The anime has promoted other games in the past before though. They aren't stuck promoting just the current generation just because they are set in one region. They've been able to promote remakes and some of the spin-off titles. Admittedly, out of the spin-off titles, only Pokemon Ranger games got the most promotion in the main series, but my point is that they don't need the Journeys format to promote the whole franchise. They can incorporate whatever promotion they want or are required to put in for marketing shake in virtually any series.

The idea that Journeys was made to promote mobile apps has never made sense to me. Yeah, Goh has a connection to Pokemon Go, but I still think that the notion of Goh being a walking talking promotion for Pokemon Go is a bit of an exaggeration. Outside of his name and his catching method, which is all surface level stuff, I don't think he really works as advertisement beyond reminding the audience that the app exists, especially when he has caught Pokemon well before they're available on Pokemon Go.

I think that you could make a decent argument that Journeys has a firmer connection to Masters than to Pokemon Go. Having characters appear with their outfits from the games and especially Pokemon that they have from Masters is a bit more than what they do with Pokemon Go. Cynthia has her Kommo-o and I think Erica has a Leafeon entirely because of Pokemon Masters. That being said, I would still say that Journeys promoting Masters really doesn't make sense when characters showing up with their Pokemon from the app really doesn't happen that often. The idea that Ash promotes Pokemon Masters really doesn't make any sense when he wasn't even added into the game until a few months ago. I don't think that Journeys was made specifically to promote these apps, so I don't see them keeping the series going for years to keep up with these games. If they really want to incorporate advertisements for these apps, they can easily do that in another series. Granted, I don't know if the anime necessarily needs to promote these apps. Pokemon Go, despite not being as hugely popular, still makes plenty of money and gets plenty of attention with its major events throughout the year and Pokemon Masters is probably also selling fine with it being a gotcha game.

You are really grasping for straws. The anime is certainly taking steps to be inclusive of elements from mobile games, but they are not and never will be the prime focus. Yes, Goh was created to capitalize on Go's popularity, but to say Ash is promoting Pokemon Masters is an absolutely asinine statement. He has been the protagonist since day 1 and his continued presence is because he's simply too iconic to pull. He wasn't even added to Masters until this year. The game came out in 2019. We weren't seeing all these characters because of Masters. We were seeing everyone like all of Ash's past traveling companions because this was everything they were building up to. It was a celebration of the entire anime, which has been on air for 25 years now. You seriously need to stop spreading misinformation and acting as if you are a spokesperson for TPCI. Just because you believe it, it doesn't mean its a fact
Journeys was not meant to be a celebration of the anime. If it was then such a thing would have been directly stated by the anime staff.

Journeys was not meant to be a celebration of the anime. If it was then such a thing would have been directly stated by the anime staff.
By that same logic, we can't say that Journeys was meant to promote Pokemon Go and Pokemon Masters since no one from the anime staff has said that was their intent, at least as far as I know. This is such a ridiculous claim given all of the cameos throughout Journeys. It seems pretty obvious, if not entirely likely, that the series was meant as an anniversary for the anime. How well it works as an anniversary series is up for debate, but it seems strange to say it isn't meant to be a celebration of the anime when we got a lot of returning characters appearing and Ash vs. Leon ended with even more cameos, both of which probably wouldn't have happened if this series wasn't airing during the anime's 25th anniversary.

You just keep telling yourself that. It doesn't even have to be directly stated for the fans to see it when they go out of their way to pay tribute to the last 25 years by showing off all of Ash's old Pokemon, all of his former traveling companions, most of his rivals, show off more continuity than any series, and reward Ash for all his hard work through the years by letting him reach a height never thought to be possible. It is certainly implied. But sure, you keep telling yourself that its not and follow your logic of it needing to be directly stated.

Last edited:
And not only that, the marketing for Journeys would have heavily brought up the anniversary. Which it didn’t.
That logic really falls flat when they have been milking the character returns for the entire series. Pretty much every character return got some amount of marketing fanfare. They had promotional artwork for pretty much every returning traveling companion. And they did emphasize that Ash's journey from the start has been building up to the Leon final. Granted, I thought that was a bit of an exaggeration since I don't think every series was building up to that moment, but the point is that they were emphasizing the beginning of Ash's journey during his climatic battle with Leon during the anime's 25th anniversary.

I don't think that the staff had to necessarily confirm that this is an anniversary series with flat out describing it as such. I think that just ignores so much of what happens in the show. If it swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, you don't need someone else to say it's a duck before you believe it's a duck.

I swear I can never wrap my head around your thought process especially since you never back up wild claims no matter how ridiculous. Journeys is a series that has taken place in all the regions up to Galar, featured callbacks and returns from across the entire anime and in Ash’s most recent battle they literally showed every Pokémon he’s captured or bonded with since the start of the anime, all things that aren’t regular occurrences. In what world is that not a celebration of the anime especially when done in a series that falls on the anime’s 25th year?

It would also require that Scarlet and Violet to be in the planning stage when Journeys was being conceptualized, and the anime staff to know about it and when it comes out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom