• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are Scarlet and Violet the worst Pokemon games?

PinkThunder

Galactic ✨
Sobble Fan Quaxly Fan
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. Any
I bought Violet pokemon the day it came out, the more I progressed, the more pathetic it seemed to me, bad animations, lame story, fps drops (when the game goes between 15 and 20 fps most of the time HORRIBLE), the new pokemon designs are very crappy The world feels empty and the bugs make it unplayable most of the time I don't know, I feel that for me it's the worst game I've ever played, and I was really excited but the other day the game crashed when I was playing and i lose all the progress,
guys sorry but im tired..
what do you think,u liked this game?

Strongly disagree. The games should have been given a couple more months to develop, but Game Freak and TPCI is too damn stubborn to realize a three year development period is no longer feasible with the scale they want these games to be. I still question how people get some of these glitches because I never run into any besides some minor lag. Yeah they're buggy, but these games have more heart and soul than Sword and Shield ever could have hoped to have. The world is well developed, the characters are charming, and these games have had such an enjoyable story. Plus there's a good amount of cool Pokemon designs. So no, I don't think they're the worst Pokemon games.

Nah, the worst games are still probably BDSP. They were pointless and really didn't need to exist in a world where Legends Arceus exists. At least SV has new Pokémon, a new story, advances in gameplay, and, despite all the bugs, is still a step forward for the franchise. Most of the new pokemon have grown on me after seeing them in-game. I thought I'd never train a Palifin, but here we are where he's my resident water Pokemon. and honestly other than the lag and crashing, some of the glitches can be funny rather than straight up annoying.

Personally, it sounds like you're burnt out. I felt the same way when the original Ruby and Saphire came out. After years of being apart of pokemania, 14 year old me was getting tired of it. One of my main points of contention was how the pokemon designs didn't feel like the previous two generations. I mean I grew to like the designs, but when they were new, they really offended me. It also sounds like the lack of stability of the game and your high expectations of how it was going to be isn't helping matters much. Maybe you just need a break from the franchise for a but then when either the DLC or new games come out you can come back with fresh outlook?

Even with the technical issues, the removed features and the lack of a battle facility… no. There is no way this game can be considered the worst in the series when compared to things like Sword and Shield, BDSP, or Let’s Go. These aren’t perfect games and wouldn’t be the best ever even if performance was fixed completely, but this series has had worse to offer by far.

Yeah the bugs and the removal/downgrading of some features sucks, but I think it's got some great new mon, a pretty fun and wild story, some of the series' best human characters in years, and the open world aspect (even if a bit flawed) is a fun and ambitious step forward in the right direction.

Maybe not quite in the higher epsilon of the series, but I think this franchise has done quite a bit worse.

Last edited:
I'd also have to disagree with you. SV is one of the better ones since Pokémon moved to 3D imho. Yes there are technical issues, bugs, glitches, and many more flaws to offer. Yes it can be pretty annoying and it should have some more development time (or resource, whichever works). But it's still much more fun than SwSh could ever be (can't say anything about BDSP since I don't have any intention to play that whatsoever). I think it's a nice step forward for the core series and I have quite a bit of hope now for the future games after SwSh nearly destroyed it.

And I'm sorry to hear that your game crashed and the bugs have made it unplayable for you, but it personally didn't occur to me besides some minor bugs and glitches. Can't say anything about Pokémon design, though as it can be very personal.

The story is most definitely richer than most other games. Sword/Shield had felt like your generic "accomplish this task and finish the game" touch on it once you finish it. But Scarlet/Violet is full of arcs. The characters are not one-dimensional like most other games offer. You don't have dance-obsession guy who keeps promoting that to your face every time you face them. You don't have this soulless friendly rival who pushes you further, like we've had in XY. This time you actually engage with the characters and become true friends. It leaves an impactful impression on you. The true exploration is back again. You don't have straight, hallway-alike caves, routes and other areas to walk through like we've had in Alola and Galar based games. This time you are really exploring like in the good old days.

The game is nowhere close to being considered as the worst Pokémon game. Especially since we have the likes of Sword and Shield.

While I've heard the horror stories over S/V, I haven't played yet, but my timeline all say despite the bad performance, they're having fun? So, I don't think they're the worst, for me that still is X/Y, and always will be. But, that's my opinion. But, I do think these games have had the worst launch, ever since they seem even buggier than BD/SP which had some game breaking glitches in them.

But, after a patch, or two, the games will hopefully be fine. But, from the reception overall of everyone on my timeline having fun...to be honest, I can't, in good faith, say they're the worst.

I'll probably have a good time when I play, too.

Not in the slightest. The technical components seem a bit overblown, or at the very least they're not as common as you might believe. I've never encountered anything that makes the game remotely unplayable, just a bit of lag and some weird character placement and camera angles when battling on walls and slopes, you can still put up with that kind of stuff without it interfering much with the experience (and some of it is even good for a laugh). Meanwhile everything else about this game makes it the kind of game I've dreamed of. An expansive open world where you can go anywhere you want and do anything you want, filled with tons of places to explore, Pokemon to catch, and things to do. Give the games a bit more time to iron out the technical issues and it actually becomes one of the best Pokemon games in fact (and even as is I'd say it's pretty close to cracking that upper echelon). I can name a ton of games worse than these (RBY, BW, XY, SM, USUM, LGPE).

From a performance standpoint, sure... but from every other angle I think it's a very solid Pokemon game.

I've had a lot of fun exploring the open world. I think the characters and story are the strongest Pokemon has ever been. (better than gen 5 imo)

It's not one of my favourite gens for Pokemon designs, but overall I'd say it still has a lot of very solid new Pokemon. (there's a lot of Pokemon this gen I'd rate 7 or 8 out of 10, but no 9s or 10s)

I hope the games do get a performance patch in the next few weeks because there's a great game under all the issues. (I'm guessing the bigger things like the graphics won't drastically change but hopefully a patch can deal with the most annoying bugs and fps slowdowns)

I was really excited but the other day the game crashed when I was playing and i lose all the progress,

If you haven't continued playing since then maybe you could try pressing X + B + UP on the main menu and it'll bring up a backup save that you can load. (it seems the game still auto saves in the background even if you turn autosave off)

Last edited:
Having played through the game, I'd consider it to be one of my top three favorites alongside generations five and seven. I enjoyed the heck out of the setting, world, characters, and story, and had a blast just kinda wandering aimlessly and seeing all the Pokemon.

I went in worrying if I'd enjoy the game, especially after Sword and Shield, but am happy that I ended up enjoying the experience more than I have with a Pokemon game in a very long time.

Its performance isn't great and neither are its graphics (aside from the Pokemon themselves, they have nice updated textures and look pretty good overall), but other than that I wouldn't say it's a particularly poor Pokemon game. It's far from perfect, but I've enjoyed it. It's nice to have an open world Pokemon game. It's not as solid of an open world as other games I have played, but it's been a necessary change I've been calling for in Pokemon for years. The new Pokemon designs are par for the course with Pokemon generations - some of them are great, some of them are meh.

I'm nowhere near done, but it seems unlikely that I'll rate these games lower than XY, let alone SwSh (which I never felt like buying, but I know all there is to know and tried the DLC).

I haven't run into bugs, but what I've seen on the Internet looks embarrassing. I also feel that I'm spending too much time walking, and while I'm catching a lot of Pokemon, that isn't what I'd like to be doing right after PLA. The school classes are shallow... a far cry from Earl's Pokemon Academy in Stadium 2. The additional paths (bosses) are nice, though.

The story only gets interesting in the post-game, that much is clear. As for the new Pokemon, I am not fond of them as a whole, and my team is going to be full of cross-generational relatives (Annihilape, Dundunsparce, Farigiraf and Paldean Tauros). Still, I may very well grow to like this team more than any team I've had in the past 20 years (excluding remakes and the Orre games).

Last edited:
In some aspects it might be? In terms of glitches it seems to be the worst currently and not in a cool fun way that RB and DP glitches were (stuff like Missigno, Mew on the Nugget bridge and walking through walls to catch Arceus). Although it kind of depends on luck. I think I ran into more game breaking glitches while playing PLA than SV (getting stuck in the ground after landing and Cherrim being uncatchable).

Other aspects are a mixed bag. The textures are nice but the lack of character customization feels like a step backwards after the improved options in SWSH. I think this problem could easily have been solved by letting us at least change the color of the pants. It wouldn't be too time consuming to implement but it would make a huge difference.

Not using PLA's catching mechanics and not having Pokémon attack you in the overworld is the worst change imo. PLA isn't even a year old and they are already removing good and popular features for arbitrary reasons. Sure, they do this all the time but since PLA just came out it is even more noticeable. I keep trying to sneak up on Pokémon just because that is now how my muscle memory works.

Having more diversity among the NPCs is awesome. More skin colors, female bodybuilders and a beautiful professor with abs. I still don't think the female characters are as good as the male ones but they certainly get to be important to the plot this time. The only other games that really give the girls the spotlight are SM and to a lesser extent the postgame of ORAS and XY.

Sada and Turo having almost the same dialogue and personality is jarring though especially after playing ORAS which did a good job with giving Archie and Maxie different personalities. I also think Area Zero could use some visual differences too like how Opelucid City changes in BW.

The message of being critical of what you read and the media you consume is good and relevant right now but to be honest it wasn't what I expected the main focus of the plot to be. Also did they really have to use the
evil mom/dad plot again!?

I think this is a question that is always asked when a new Pokemon game comes out. I still await the day when people start asking the opposite.

I haven't played the game yet, so I don't know. Still, the impression I'm getting is that a game with several technical problems and is not very well optimized. However, that doesn't make a game bad, just problematic.

As far as gameplay is concerned, the Terastal phenomenon, the large open world and the existence of three lines of objectives and main plots, as well as the incorporation of elements and improvements from Legends, seem promising to me. And that is what has the potential to make a great game.

On the other side,

the new pokemon designs are very crappy.

I mean, some designers are sick, splendid, and I already love them. But there are a fair amount that seem to be among the worst in the franchise (Gholdengo, Spidops, Nymble, Garganacl, etc...) That, not to mention the failed attempts (Baxcalibur and Iron thorns) to replace everyone's favorite Godzilla Pokemon .

Last edited:
Even with the technical issues... no. It's far from being the worst game of the series. What we got is an acceptable enough follow-up from Legends Arceus and definitely above Sword and Shield, even if I've already come to dislike the anarchy-ridden mess that they call Tera Raid Battles. Max Raids were a pain too but at least they were easier to follow along.

If we are talking main series games, SM/USUM are still the worst for me. Aside from the bugs which haven’t been as bad for me, these are actually very enjoyable games.

Performance wise? Most definitely.

In other aspects? I don't think so. Whilst very flawed, they show a spark of passion and originality from Game Freak I haven't seen in a mainline game for a very long time. They actually change the format of the series in a significant way, for the first time ever. Having the open world makes it feel like an entirely different experience. It's very nice to see the series try to get out of its comfort zone, even though they were very hamstrung by far too short development times.

Though I am very frustrated by the technical issues and other outright steps backwards Game Freak took, it's the most engaged I've been in a single player game for a very long time. The music in this game blew me away - it has far more variety to it than the typical Pokémon style and really helped to immerse and sell me into the world. It might become one of my favorite OSTs ever, something I can't say for any Pokémon game. And the last 5% of the story was phenomenal for a Pokémon game.

As someone who skipped most of Gen 8 save for Legends Arceus, I am pleasantly surprised at how much more ambitious they are than something like BDSP.

I'm addicted and can't stop playing. Somehow, I love this mess of a game for the obvious passion behind it, even though I also kind of hate it.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom