• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN138: Satoshi VS Kasumi! Seaside One-on-One!!

Not surprised Ash didn't get Clauncher. There's only 9 more episodes after this and it wasn't going to get much screentime anyway so better to go to Misty than Ash.

The interactions between them were so enjoyable and further improves what could have been a boring sounding episode.

Team Rocket literally wanted to kill and eat pokémon! :O
Satoshi has two stalkers now: Kasumi and Latias. More to come?
All around a great episode with nice interactions.

A rather small VA list today courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Mayumi Iizuka: Kasumi
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Yuji Ueda: Sonansu
Rikako Aikawa: Koduck
Chinami Nishimura: Waninoko
Katsuyuki Konishi: Heigani
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

Not surprised Ash didn't get Clauncher. There's only 9 more episodes after this and it wasn't going to get much screentime anyway so better to go to Misty than Ash.
You do realize Ash is more likely than not going to catch Latias considering it's following him now, right?

First impressions of the episode:
  • I liked the cast of Ash's team in this episode. Corpish got the most focus, and it was fun seeing its interactions with the Clauncher. The rest of his team had their own little moments too, like Rowlet napping on Misty's head, Leavanny consoling Psyduck after it was ignored, and Totodile saying hi to Politoed after not seeing each other in a long while. Even Pikachu had a lot of nice moments in this episode, like when it tried fishing with its tail at the start of the episode, when it volunteered to be the referee for the battle, and basically all the times it showed how much it liked Misty.
  • Ash and Misty's interactions throughout this episode were absolutely amazing, it felt nice seeing them bicker with each other like in the olden days. The most hilarious part for me was seeing how annoyed Misty was when Ash chose to use someone else's lure over hers, with Ash intentionally spiting her by saying that her lure is not as effective.
  • So... good news, Team Rocket is back again, and they've got another newly animated motto to show off. Bad news, it's also a reminder of their constant state of poverty and famine, with the trio also performing worse in their plan this episode than in the previous one. Still not sure what exactly the writers and producers have in mind for the trio throughout this series, but it's nice to see that they're at least gonna be sticking around.
  • The battle between Corpish and Politoed was short but entertaining. Although Politoed ultimately won the battle and allowed Misty to catch the Clauncher, Corpish put on a good enough showing to impress the Clauncher, to the point that it immediately went to train with Corpish and the rest of Ash's team members after letting itself be caught by Misty. Misty even used this as an excuse to tag along with Ash on his current journey. So yeah, although Ash lost the battle, I'd say he won the war.
  • We're immediately getting a reminder that Latias is following Ash, huh. I guess this really means that something's gonna happen with it later. Still not convinced that this is building up to a capture, but the possibility is a lot higher now.

Yeah seems like they are building up to a capture of Latias. I don’t think they’ve had any stalker non-gag Pokemon that haven’t led to a capture. Maybe they are checkboxing him getting an actual Legendary Pokemon after giving Goh a couple and people reacting negatively to it.

Yeah seems like they are building up to a capture of Latias. I don’t think they’ve had any stalker non-gag Pokemon that haven’t led to a capture. Maybe they are checkboxing him getting an actual Legendary Pokemon after giving Goh a couple and people reacting negatively to it.
I doubt the negative response to Goh's Legendary Pokémon is the reason behind it. It's just a fan-favorite Pokémon whose species has a history with Ash. Especially since Pokémon Heroes was voted as one of the most popular Pokémon movies in Japan a year or two back.

Guess Misty is the new world champion /s
I thought the crew realized that the starving gag isn't funny like 50 episodes ago. I actually rooted for them in this episode, they just happened to want to eat the same Pokemon Ash and Misty were counting on catching, and I'm pretty sure Rotom said that its claw will grow back (like IRL crabs)
Well I was kind of hoping to see Solgaleo again in the Alola episode.

You do realize Ash is more likely than not going to catch Latias considering it's following him now, right?
I meant as in catches that aren't going to be as big like Latias might be. Like sure Latias too probably won't be seen again afterwards once this series is over but it'd still feel much more big and impactful (hopefully anyway) than a Clauncher who'd only show up once and never again.

Last edited:
I was very surprised to see this was a bit of a Corphish focus episode, maybe coming at the cost of Totodile, Rowlett and Leavanny not doing much other than being cute - but cool that Ash’s Pokémon are going to be getting big appearances like this.

I was also very surprised when we saw Misty’s Azuril was gonna be here - it’s like they did it just to remind us she has one.

Overall, I like the breezy nature of these episodes, simple affairs with old characters and Pokémon - I get they’re going for very classic Team Rocket appearances and I don’t want to see the Gacha or anything, but give them some Pokémon - even Morpeko has disappeared

Misty following Ash without him knowing in a forest like setting and hiding behind trees really have me Veridian forest vibes. Man, those episodes are old. :)
That was Tomioka calling back to his first Pokemon episode. Yep, episode 3!

Also, Pikachu being an official for the battle was adorable.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom