• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[Spoilers] What is your favorite character so far in Scarlet/Violet?

Reaction score
The games been out for a bit so that makes the question of who your favorite character is so far? It’s simple, I like to keep things simple and easy to comprehend, I mean what it I made the title “atlas what is you’re most liked character in the newest games of the being Scarlet and or Violet” sounds too complicated and fancy…

welp here’s my favorite character so far, with that being Atticus, the poison team star boss! He’s so cool and tbh one of my favorite characters of all time.

Easily Rika

Never been that keen on Ground types, but she has such a badass design and a super cool energy. It's also pretty neat how fairly androgynous she is.

Honorable mention to Larry, a couple of the teachers, Nemona, Arven, and Clavel

As a Scarlet player, Professor Sada. At first, her cave woman aesthetic put me off, but the fact that she was very intelligent and capable, probably one of the most capable professors in the entire series, impressed me. I realize that Professor Turo is basically the same character, but I think I prefer her overall mannerisms more. In a future DLC, if possible, I'd like to see the differences between these two characters expanded beyond just comestic.

Endgame spoilers:
I mean, she made a time machine AND an android replica of herself. I realize these machines are only able to work because of the crystals in the crater, but it is still a very impressive feat.

We haven't met the real her, but I like how the game implies how complex of a person she really was, making her feel more real than most Pokemon characters. This was a woman so caught up in her work that her husband walked out on her, and it eventually cost her her life. Her son never got to have a real relationship with her and we get a very mixed message from her journals. She loves her work, but she truly did love Arven as well, in spite of being so crazily obsessed with the past that she put insane protections on the time machine. The fight with her AI counterpart, as I read somewhere, could be compared to her ghost rising back from the grave to possess her and execute its final will.

To expand on me preferring her to Turo, it just resonates with me more that a mother becomes so fixated on her work that she ends up neglecting her son. Usually, such a trope is reserved for fathers, though I do realize this also happened with Lusamine in Sun/Moon. I also found her an interesting character and I guess mother issues are more relatable to me. Speaking of DLC, it would be amazing if it was revealed that in each version, the one who walked out was the other professor. And that they are BOTH Arven's parents at the same time.

Another favorite of mine is her son, Arven. I just like that whole family's story.

And final mention to Clavel, for basically being the booksmart/constantly baffled side of me. He's so confused by all these teenagers and their crazy slang, and so am I. [I had to look up what "cheugy" means, I have NEVER heard of that term in my entire life.]
Also, I adore the battle with him. It has amazing, amazing music that reminds me of Final Fantasy XIII, and it was a big shock how challenging it ended up being for my four Pokemon team. He challenged me far more than Penny.

Arven, no question.
I was actually not at all expecting to like him when first starting the game (I blame those vague descriptions on the official website, lol), but by the end he wound up being far and away my favorite. He's funny, has a ton of personality and depth, and honestly in a lot of ways I found his character very relatable.

I think my runners-up would be Nemona (she's sweet and a little bit kooky) and Grusha (bitter cynicism rules!).
Honorable mentions go to Geeta, Hassel, and Rika. Especially Geeta, what with her sophisticated but intimidating aura - that's just cool.

Arven no question.

He seemingly starts out as your typically unlikable rival, then it's revealed that he's on a quest to cure his Masbosstiff. Needless to say, I was on his side from then on. Plus, you feel sorry for him when it turns out that his parents never had the time to properly care for him, and that's before it's revealed that they're dead and have been replaced by a robot.

Gonna be a long list for me. I tried to do it in order from most to least favorite.

Iono- If I could only pick one favorite character, it would be this amazing queen. I've loved her since she was introduced and I only loved her more once I met her in game. She is so cute, so quirky, so adorable, so lovable, and I don't have enough words to explain how much I love her. :bulbaLove:

Poppy-Precious cute little baby. I seriously didn't believe her when she told me she was in the E4. She's oh so adorable and I LOVE her. Also, she was really tough to beat in the E4. :bulbaLove:

Koraidon- I loved the entire story with him. How he was traumatized by the battle against the other Koraidon in Area Zero yet still found the confidence to help us against the Houndoom in the early game. Then when we reach the end, he overcomes his fear to save all of us and finally defeats the other Koraidon he was so scared off. Also, he's just a total cutie! :LOL: I love how he would do cute things like beg for sandwiches and lick Penny's face.

Arven- I did not expect to like Arven as much as I did. In the beginning he was so rude to us and I couldn't understand why he hated Koraidon, but as time went on, he actually grew closer to us. To the point that he would call us little buddy, a close friend (when he said he wouldn't let us go into Area Zero alone), and even brag about the start of our friendship in Area Zero. Also, his tragic backstory was...well tragic. Seriously, the journey of discovering why he hated his mom and Koraidon was such a crazy experience. Also the fact that he dedicated his entire Treasure Hunt to finding a way to save his Pokemon friend was very sweet. Definitely one of my top favorite characters ever probably. :bulbaWave:

Director Clavell- Such a funny guy. I did not expect the whole storyline with him helping us in Starfall Street at all. I thought he'd just be sitting at the academy all day and have no major plot relevance, but boy was I wrong. I adore the fact that he disguised himself as a student and tried to change his mannerisms and way of speaking just to get closer to the students to figure out how to get Team Star back in school. It shows how passionate he is about his students. I also liked that he apologized to Team Star on behalf of the school for the bulling issues, even though he wasn't even there when it happened. Another great character. :giggle:

Penny- I liked Penny a lot, I just wish we could have seen more of her great character in action. Most of her star moments were through Cassiopeia on the phone or in flashbacks. Thankfully the The Way Home really allowed her to actually shine. I loved her interactions with Nemona and Penny in Area Zero. I also just like her quirks of calling out Nemona's over the top personality, wanting snacks on our way home after beating Sada, and saying she wanted to binge anime instead of meeting with Geeta after The Way Home.

Team Star- Best Team ever. Seriously, these guys are amazing. The bosses were all victims of bullying and they used this terrible experience to fight back against the bullies AND form a group to allow other victims to feel safe at school. They are the best.

Hassel-My favorite academy teacher. I love how passionate he is about everything, to the point that he emotionally cries over us defeating him and becoming a Champion.

Larry- I love him. A basic, stoic businessman as a Norman-type gym leader? Um, yes!! Seriously, he fits his role so perfect. I also laughed after our E4 battle when he couldn't even call Hassel loud enough to enter the room.

Ryme- Another awesome and really entertaining gym leader. Her bars against the cashier before our gym battle were lit.

Grusha- I like him. An ice-type gym leader with a cool-guy persona. His picture after we defeat him is the cutest thing ever (next to Iono's picture).

AI Sada- I liked this storyline a lot. Despite selfish Sada wanting to mess up Paldea's ecosystem just so she can have her prehistoric Pokemon running around, AI Sada realized what a mistake that was and made it her mission to stop the Time Machine. She ignored her programming in order to save the region, and I respect that.

Nemona- Of all of my favorite characters, Nemona is my least favorite. I mean I know they told us she was our battle loving friend, but MY GOSH, I didn't think she would be straight up obsessed with them. Like seriously, it's like has has no other personality. HOWEVER, just like with Penny, The Way Home really made me feel closer to her and I really liked how supportive she was of everyone and just wanted everyone to be happy and enjoy themselves. She kept the spirits up the whole time, even if she also came across as scatterbrained.

Player- Putting the player down here since they aren't really much of a 'character' but I do like their cute personality that we can see in the pictures we take with the bosses, like how they peek one eye open when bowing to Atticus. I also like the moments with Koraidon a lot, how we occasionally pat it like a pet.

Probably Ms Raifort, the history teacher. I like her overall character design. She seems very chill and the kind of teacher you want to have last period because you know they will just let you relax on fridays. She also very open about her dislike for director Clavell, which is quite funny.

Arven's my guy. When he first spoke I was like "Man, fuck this dude." and then that cutscene with Mabosstiff fully healed I was just like "I'm happy for you, bestie". It felt like my dog suddenly.

There's also Rika. Rika's great. She's the gift that keeps on giving.

I also really like Miriam. The way she failed her exam but resolves to try again and keep trying after seeing what you achieved and then pull it off is great. Also, she cute

Arven was a surprise hit for me too, didn’t expect much from him but he ended up being the most tragic and well-written character in the game. Professor Sada/Turo were great, loved the reversal with their AIs actually being the rational ones and recognising how far gone they truly were. Their storyline hit harder than I could’ve imagined

Ortega and Eri are also up there. They’re fun one-off antagonists. You had that buildup of them being so strong and their battles did not disappoint, particularly Eri’s. They felt menacing when you fought them but were pretty nice after. Ortega is similar to Bede who I already love. I enjoyed his battle dialogue, whether it’s his initial arrogance, his disbelief of losing them him getting pissed after. Characters like that are just fun to watch but you also feel bad for them after learning their backstories

As a Scarlet player, Professor Sada. At first, her cave woman aesthetic put me off, but the fact that she was very intelligent and capable, probably one of the most capable professors in the entire series, impressed me. I realize that Professor Turo is basically the same character, but I think I prefer her overall mannerisms more. In a future DLC, if possible, I'd like to see the differences between these two characters expanded beyond just comestic.

Endgame spoilers:
I mean, she made a time machine AND an android replica of herself. I realize these machines are only able to work because of the crystals in the crater, but it is still a very impressive feat.

We haven't met the real her, but I like how the game implies how complex of a person she really was, making her feel more real than most Pokemon characters. This was a woman so caught up in her work that her husband walked out on her, and it eventually cost her her life. Her son never got to have a real relationship with her and we get a very mixed message from her journals. She loves her work, but she truly did love Arven as well, in spite of being so crazily obsessed with the past that she put insane protections on the time machine. The fight with her AI counterpart, as I read somewhere, could be compared to her ghost rising back from the grave to possess her and execute its final will.
Seconded.
[Still endgame spoilers:]
I also feel like the AI version of Sada looks more imposing overall than AI Turo when she gets hijacked by the original professor's protocols. She looks like she'd rip your throat out with her own two hands if she had to.

My other votes go to Ryme for being such a fun Gym Leader and... the entire main character friend group. Arven's the most standout character, but Nemona's development and backstory reveal were surprisingly effective in a more subtle way. (Basically, her story is told out of order.)
[Also endgame spoilers:]
And Penny can be pretty dang savage when you actually get to know her. XD

Oh, and Eri too. The "extremely dangerous" boss of the Caph Squad is actually extremely wholesome.

Last edited:
I think Professor Sada is an interesting villain but at the same time it's also kind of a shame that she had to be a villain. Mass extinction is was very serious problem and it's fitting for a professor to worry about it even if her solution to said problem is questionable (and probably not very sustainable either since the Paradox Pokémon can't breed).

Who else but... Charlos the Charcadet. I know now what Pokémon I would be, because my name is Carlos.

Seriously, though, I am with the majority. Arven takes the cake. He starts as a grade A jerk but his arc is so endearing. I almost cried, and that's a first in a Pokémon game for me.

Clavell is funny and I like that he is kind of dumb despite being the Director of our School. I thought he would be a very serious and background kind of character. But I was pleased he was a lot more involved. The callback to Kukui's stupid and obvious costume was hilarious.

I found Eri also very endearing. She is supposed to be this tough as nails big wrestler but she is a softie. The poor thing.

Also Larry... Because he is Larry. What more there is to say?

And who can forget Kofu? Vaultin' Veluza time!

Probably Ms Raifort, the history teacher. I like her overall character design. She seems very chill and the kind of teacher you want to have last period because you know they will just let you relax on fridays. She also very open about her dislike for director Clavell, which is quite funny.

Am I the only one who finds her sexy? Also Dendra. Imagine them as real life women...

I love Larry & Hassel. I genuinely felt like I'd built a relationship with Hassel throughout the game, and a lot of the other school teachers in general to be fair.

I loved the school classes a lot for some reason and I was terrible at school in real life lol.

Back
Top Bottom