• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Not sure what Faba's treatment in the anime has to do with anything given it's a direct adaption of what happens in both versions of SM.
Either way it sucks. Theyw ere willing to change lusamine so drastically from the game. Idk why they couldn't do the same for faba.

Him being around the kids will always bother me

I agree with you about that balance. Having CoTDs just to have them got really formulaic in certain sagas, such as in Johto where it seemed every new Pokémon was accompanied by a person specifically created to show them off. That's...a lot; bonus points if they have gaudy outfits that resemble the Pokémon too.

That said, they can definitely add to the world building though which I appreciate. And some of them have been pretty memorable, for me at least, like the one man who helped his Pidgey Orville reach outer space.
Especially since the fillers back in Johto would always make Pokémon cute and interesting instead of just props.

Not sure what Faba's treatment in the anime has to do with anything given it's a direct adaption of what happens in both versions of SM.
Did Faba from the games brainwashed and kidnapped Lilie to hide the fact that his tests on Ultra Holes accidentally traumatized her? Did he lied and manipulated Gladio into believing that his mother is responsible for what happened to Lilie?

Did Faba from the games brainwashed and kidnapped Lilie to hide the fact that his tests on Ultra Holes accidentally traumatized her? Did he lied and manipulated Gladio into believing that his mother is responsible for what happened to Lilie?

I mean, he willingly allowed a bunch of multiversal villains to waltz in and steal the Aether Paradise, which led to Lusamine being kidnapped and Ghetsis holding Lillie hostage.

And instead of
a) sending him to jail
b) throwing him overboard
they just demote him to Wicke's assistant.

Also, please pay attention. We were talking about Faba being forgiven for his actions, not whether the anime was a 1-to-1 recreation of the game's story.

I mean, he willingly allowed a bunch of multiversal villains to waltz in and steal the Aether Paradise, which led to Lusamine being kidnapped and Ghetsis holding Lillie hostage.
I guess USUM ruined him too. Still, less terrible than the anime.

Almost all of May's wins were through blatant use of plot armor. The worst offenders being May vs Phantom, May vs Harley (specifically the one where May's Squirtle fought against Harley's Ariados) and May vs Brock. To articulate further, with May vs Phantom, firstly she uses Skitty who's moveset is comprised of 3 normal moves and a not mastered Blizzard. And her entire strategy was to spam Assist and hope it would work out, then she gets lucky when Skitty learns to master Blizzard at the most convenient moment. With Squirtle vs Ariados, Squirtle was inexperienced with Ice Beam, yet despite this it somehow was able to do well enough to score her the win last minute when the out of control move froze the spider webs? Yet Ariados has the upper hand the whole fight. (Slightly off note, but she once defeated Harley's Banette under the use of Jessie using Rapid Spin and Tackle, two normal type moves. And Tackle was used as the finishing blow!) May vs Brock is even worse, Brock's Marshtomp is completely dominating the whole fight and countering any of Eevee's offenses, even to the point it couldn't use Dig to avoid hits. Then somehow May wins the battle because Eevee manage to get a couple of Tackle's in moments before the timer ended; Despite Brock clearly having the bigger advantage the entire time.

Almost all of May's wins were through blatant use of plot armor.
This is just the writers fault for 1) Forgetting that normal attacks have no effect on ghost 2) Trying to set up May as the underdog, but failing to do her comebacks in a believable way.

In fairness to her character, at the end of the Kanto grand festival it is acknowledged that she relied too much on dazzling attacks (influenced by Ash) to win, which costed her the battle against Soledad. Then she decides to travel alone to further develop her battling skills without relying on the gang so much.

Yeah, May winning through the type chart being ignored is far from unique to her. The most notorious example is of course Pikachu's tendency to bypass Ground-types' immunity to his Electric attacks whenever it's convenient (though this thankfully was almost entirely abandoned after the Roark battle), but it's far from the only example. Off the top of my head:
  • in a Pokemon Chronicles episode, Misty's Psyduck defeated a Poochyena with Confusion
  • in the preliminary round of the Hoenn league, Tyson's Meowth took damage from Vivicia's Persian's Shadow Ball
  • in a DP episode, Brock's Croagunk was able to hurt a Scizor with Poison Jab. Jessie's Seviper also inflicted Damage on a Metagross with Poison Tail in a separate occasion

Yeah, May winning through the type chart being ignored is far from unique to her. The most notorious example is of course Pikachu's tendency to bypass Ground-types' immunity to his Electric attacks whenever it's convenient (though this thankfully was almost entirely abandoned after the Roark battle), but it's far from the only example. Off the top of my head:
  • in a Pokemon Chronicles episode, Misty's Psyduck defeated a Poochyena with Confusion
  • in the preliminary round of the Hoenn league, Tyson's Meowth took damage from Vivicia's Persian's Shadow Ball
  • in a DP episode, Brock's Croagunk was able to hurt a Scizor with Poison Jab. Jessie's Seviper also inflicted Damage on a Metagross with Poison Tail in a separate occasion
I don't see the issue with Croagunk hitting Scisor with Poison Jab. Yes, Steel is immune to Poison, but still, it felt the impact of the hit. Seviper and Metagross I will let slide, since Metagross is heavier than Scisor.

I don't see the issue with Croagunk hitting Scisor with Poison Jab. Yes, Steel is immune to Poison, but still, it felt the impact of the hit. Seviper and Metagross I will let slide, since Metagross is heavier than Scisor.
I never said it was an issue. I just listed it as an example of the type chart being defied because it was one of the ones I could remember most easily. There's also the fact that I generally picture Steel-types as being naturally sturdy, so even if we count Poison Jab as a regular jab when removing the poison element, I don't think it should've done that much, lol.

I never said it was an issue. I just listed it as an example of the type chart being defied because it was one of the ones I could remember most easily. There's also the fact that I generally picture Steel-types as being naturally sturdy, so even if we count Poison Jab as a regular jab when removing the poison element, I don't think it should've done that much, lol.
Well, when you put it that, That makes sense. I can see Steel types being harder to knock over than other types.

What was the point of Ash "mastering" becoming a Pokémon Master? The whole finale feels more like "what if Gen 3-8 Pokémon existed when Ash and travelling with Brock and Misty", than it does a finale.

Honestly, this is how I would have done it: Ash gets tired of being bombarded with people asking to fight him or for his autograph, so he goes to Alola and opens a Gym there. At least that way his story would have concluded and he could have pulled a Blue from HGSS.

What was the point of Ash "mastering" becoming a Pokémon Master? The whole finale feels more like "what if Gen 3-8 Pokémon existed when Ash and travelling with Brock and Misty", than it does a finale.
Despite being labeled as the final chapter for Ash and Pikachu, I don't think that they were going for a grand finale with these episodes. Nothing about them sounds like they were building up to some conclusion or anything like that. I think it makes more sense to see these specials more like a fun sendoff with Ash and his friends than as a finale to the anime.

Honestly, this is how I would have done it: Ash gets tired of being bombarded with people asking to fight him or for his autograph, so he goes to Alola and opens a Gym there. At least that way his story would have concluded and he could have pulled a Blue from HGSS.
I couldn't see Ash getting tired of people wanting to battle him when that's basically what he always wants. He loves battling other trainers. Even after becoming a World Champion, he was still shown battling against a random nobody at the end of Journeys. I could see him geting tired of people wanting his autograph, but I don't see how opening a Gym in Alola stops or reduces the amount of people bombarding him for battles or autographs. People would generally know where he is, so it would be easier to find Ash and get a battle or autograph from him. I'm also not sure how fitting it would be for Ash to become a Gym Leader at this point either. I think he loves traveling too much for that to really work for his personality. Plus, after they already established that Paul will become a Gym Leader, I think it's less likely that they'd do the same thing with Ash.

Plus, after they already established that Paul will become a Gym Leader, I think it's less likely that they'd do the same thing with Ash.
Agree. Maybe it wouldn't be discluded Ash could end up E4/Battle Frontier... but my guess he is going to keep his freedom and travel with Latias or whatever Legendary pokemon/purpose in order to help others in the pokeworld.

I still think he'll end up being some kind of veterinarian to truly master the pokémon.
I don't really see Ash becoming a veterinarian. Brock being a Pokemon Doctor effectively already is a Pokemon Veterinarian and it doesn't really sound like these episodes are setting up for Ash to become more into Pokemon health care.

Yeah I cant see Ash becoming some kind of Pokemon veterinarian/doctor, especially when Brock already does that. I still think his future will always be going on a journey to many places, even as an adult

Back
Top Bottom