• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

1. He's no longer that.
Was that confirmed? I haven't seen anything that says he's back to being just a Pokemon Breeder or anything like that. Considering he was still a Pokemon Doctor in-training back in his SM appearances, was a Pokemon Doctor in the Arceus special and was shown in his doctor outfit during the Leon match, I highly doubt that they'd drop it altogether. I don't think it would make it any more likely for Ash to become a Pokemon Doctor regardless. I don't think it would really fit with his personality. Brock was always shown being the one interested in caring for Pokemon and taking care of their injuries.

2. Misty is already a trainer.
Everyone who is ten or older in the anime are also trainers, so that's a moot point. It also overlooks how Misty is still a different kind of trainer than Ash. She is a Gym Leader, focuses primarily on Water Pokemon and wants to be a Water Pokemon Master. They are trainers, but both Ash and Misty still effectively have different goals and ambitions. I don't see them giving Ash the same goal or direction as another character. It's the same reason why I don't see Ash as a Gym Leader after they gave that ending to Paul.

Brock give up being a doctor to work as that girl's chief, currently he doesn't seem to have any goal or job other than traveling with his friends. Misty is no longer a gym leader either, she's a traveling trainer now due to being inspired by Ash's victory.

Brock give up being a doctor to work as that girl's chief, currently he doesn't seem to have any goal or job other than traveling with his friends. Misty is no longer a gym leader either, she's a traveling trainer now due to being inspired by Ash's victory.
I still have a really hard time believing that both Misty and Brock would give up their goals like that. I was under the impression that they were just available to travel with Ash for awhile, not that they don't have any actual goals now.

I still have a really hard time believing that both Misty and Brock would give up their goals like that. I was under the impression that they were just available to travel with Ash for awhile, not that they don't have any actual goals now.
That's literally what happened with Brock. Misty's goal was always traveling to be strong, she's forced to take care of the gym because her sisters were away.

That's literally what happened with Brock. Misty's goal was always traveling to be strong, she's forced to take care of the gym because her sisters were away.
The difference is that Brock still had a goal even after he decided to become a Pokemon Doctor instead of a Breeder. Not to mention his skills as a Pokemon Breeder were still shown with how he took care of Pokemon. Misty's sisters came back during a Chronicles episode and Misty was still a Gym Leader even after they came back. Even though she was initially forced back to take care of the Gym, she decided on her own to become a Gym Leader full time.

The difference is that Brock still had a goal even after he decided to become a Pokemon Doctor instead of a Breeder.
Difference to what?
Misty's sisters came back during a Chronicles episode and Misty was still a Gym Leader even after they came back. Even though she was initially forced back to take care of the Gym, she decided on her own to become a Gym Leader full time.
When did this happen?

Difference to what?
I thought that you were talking about how Brock dropped his original goal to become a Pokemon Doctor. The difference between that and supposedly not being a Pokemon Doctor anymore now is that he was still had a goal in mind at the end of DP.

When did this happen?
I believe it was the Chronicles episode that featured a Luvdisc since that was when one of Misty's sisters appeared and said that Misty had decided to stay on as Gym Leader permanently. I don't know if that was accurate to the Japanese version since Chronicles' dub was pretty bad, but her sisters had come back from their trip, meaning that she could have left the Gym back in their hands if she really wanted to. I know that her sisters were holding down the Gym for her when she came back in the early Battle Frontier and wanted her to come back when they were overloaded with challengers.

I thought that you were talking about how Brock dropped his original goal to become a Pokemon Doctor.
No, I'm talking about what happened when he's revealed as stopped being a doctor.
I believe it was the Chronicles episode that featured a Luvdisc since that was when one of Misty's sisters appeared and said that Misty had decided to stay on as Gym Leader permanently.
In that episode her sisters were planning to leave again, much to Misty's frustrations, and still wasn't willing to take the helm of the gym. Regardless of what said in that episode, Misty left the gym by her own accord.
Maybe, maybe not. What we know is he left his duties and still not willing to take them.
Misty didn't left the gym to travel with Ash, she's on journey to become a stronger trainer. And Brock currently travels to train and know more about pokémon.

Guys guys, saying Brock and Misty gave up their goals is not even close..

Misty traveled before as you prob remember she consider herself as a gym leader + wants to be a water pokemon master. Anytime ans anywhere. If you need examples for situations when she traveled and said that, no prob. One example is the text she is saying to Ash in the episode she wanted to catch Totodile.

Brock is a tricky one, 'cause he is being the character designed to make fun of, while he is the more exp character when it comes to knowledge and stuff. Sure now that Ash shows his skills it looks sort of being like he is taking a break. It is not like anyone said he is looking for a job in a Center as his goal. Don't forget there were characters 'not giving up their dream' and we saw them on the go even when they aimed to take care of pokemon. For example Nurse Joy from the Orange Islands who wanted to help pokemon that werent close to a pokemon center. So maybe brock aim to gain more exp on travel for his goal (Or maybe searching for a girl was always the reason?)

On the subject of the new character reveal of "Friede"...

I never liked how English translations always either replace character names or change the spelling because it's "easier to say" or "makes more sense" or "is more relatable". It just feels like getting rid of the culture and especially in cases where it's only one letter...c'mon, this feels like those who decided to change Friede's name here are just expecting kids to never have met anyone in their classrooms who have a name with a unique spelling, or a complex sounding name.

I've always referred to characters using their English names because that's what is most commonly used and makes conversations easier to follow along...but thinking on it more, it just comes off as a little strange to me. I can't really think of a single main character in Pokemon that kept their Japanese name. (Not counting Serena and Lillie, since their names are latin-derived). Plus, it's not like any of the names in particular are really THAT hard to pronounce. The only real issue I see is with the Pokemon.

This might come off as a bit jarring to be what I bring up about the character, but a few recent posts in the Pokemon 2023 thread had me thinking on this topic.

I never liked how English translations always either replace character names or change the spelling because it's "easier to say" or "makes more sense" or "is more relatable".
I will take a moment to defend 4Kids’ honour by pointing out this is not exclusive to ENG dubs at all and many Japanese dubs of old school cartoons also changed the characters’ names. To give a few examples, Scooby Doo is called Krupper, Muttley is called Kenken and Hong Kong Phooey is “0011” in Japan to name a few.

That last one is a pun off of James Bond’s 007 tag as well as “wan wan” being onomatopoeia for a dog barking.

If Ash was replaced after DP series, and if the new protagonists of each generation's game were the exact copy of Ash in their respective series, it would have fit like a glove. Hilbert would be all about throwbacks to original series with his dynamics with Iris (it would be as good as BW was, which for many not much), Calem would be a serious battler, Elio would be that goofy boy. That way, Ash would not have to change his characteristics each series depending on how the writers want to struct them. Each series having its individual protagonist would prevent many controversy around that. I cannot comment on Victor since there is no Galar-exclusive series in hand.

Hilbert would be all about throwbacks to original series with his dynamics with Iris (it would be as good as BW was, which for many not much)
To be fair, a big part of the reason BW was contentious was because of Ash's regression in skill, so if a new protagonist had been used in his place, people would've probably been far more lenient. That said, I can easily see Hilbert being controversial as a protagonist and compared to Ash unfavorably. Especially if the Unova League went down the exact same way.

This might be more a pet peeve as opposed to a controversial opinion, but I do find it a bit annoying when people say that the anime is ending because Ash is being replaced. I think it's the notion that the anime has been this one extremely long series that kind of rubs me the wrong way. I know that the dub kind of treats it as such, but I don't think that really makes sense to me at this point. The anime has always been a set of different series set within the same continuity since AG. Maybe it just makes more sense to me because it organizes the different eras of the anime and it doesn't really feel exactly like one long story just because Ash has been the main lead for so long. Granted, we still don't know what the new series will be continuity wise, but I doubt that they'd go for a complete universe reboot just to have different leads.

It's certainly an end of an era for the anime, but we'd still have a new series even if Ash wasn't being replaced.

Thing is, if all the protagonists were Ash with a new look, why replace Ash in the first place?
Because then they wouldn't need to constantly change Ash to fit whatever plot they want to do like regressing his skill in BW. Using the same character for every new season means that character will bring a bunch of baggage and people will take issue when they change them to act in a way that makes no sense to what is established before.

It's basically what's happening to shows like The Simpsons, where it has gone on far too long to the point the writers don't know what to do with the characters, so they start making them act out of character to fit whatever plot they want for each episode. Unlike the pokemon anime though, The Simpsons should have ended ages ago instead of having new main characters.

I'm very late but I'm up to JN123 in watching the tournament. Something I really don't like, and much of this does come from not playing much of the games much. I'm also uninformed as I only watched a handful of episodes in this series but: I don't like Ash's team.

I don't get why there's a Gengar, a Dragonite, and a Lucario here. It feels like wish fulfillment and not a good kind. If they wanted a Mega Evolution they should've just used an existing Pokemon. Also I hear their Pokemon don't really interact together much and that's unfortunate. But a big thing to me is why these Pokemon now?

As for the battles, I do love how unpredictable they are, like I think that's kind of new for the show and I don't think it's too much of a downgrade. I wish it was more dynamic like before but otherwise it's not as bad as from what I read.

Also, Iris' Excadrill using horn drill is absolute perfection, what a good battle.

Back
Top Bottom