• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I think the shaman king dub may have said "I'm destroying time" but I need to double check that.
Which is weird because Shaman King actually did use words like "kill" semi-frequently, but still wrote around it most of the time. One line that stuck out to me was Manta (Morty) inviting Yoh to a horror movie marathon and calling it an "all-night gore fest," which I wouldn't normally expect from a 4Kids production, but that show famously got away with just about everything.

In twitter there is some discussions about how removing japanese characters from the anime might be done due to Korean dubbers' wishes rather than 4Kids' policy of removing texts. The anime only started doing it after Korean embargo against pokémon ended too, which gives credence to these rumors.

Which is weird because Shaman King actually did use words like "kill" semi-frequently, but still wrote around it most of the time. One line that stuck out to me was Manta (Morty) inviting Yoh to a horror movie marathon and calling it an "all-night gore fest," which I wouldn't normally expect from a 4Kids production, but that show famously got away with just about everything.
Wait, they changed Manta's name? I could have sworn that the LA dub kept the original name back when it aired in Fox Kids, but seeing how we tended to get 4Kids's dubs if they exist, maybe it was a false memory...

Wait, they changed Manta's name? I could have sworn that the LA dub kept the original name back when it aired in Fox Kids, but seeing how we tended to get 4Kids's dubs if they exist, maybe it was a false memory...
The Spanish dub was uncut, it was NOT based on the 4kids version at all. In the official 4kids English dub of shaman king that aired on Fox box on Saturday mornings... They changed Manta Oyamada to Morty Manta...

Yep, Manta became Morty in the 4Kids dub. SK was one of those rare instances where 4Kids licensed the show behind nearly every other country, so most other countries' dubs were based on the Japanese version, instead of the 4Kids dub like with say, Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh!.

There's a few other notable name changes, like Ryu being renamed Rio (and given an outrageously offensive Hispanic accent to match, courtesy of Sean Schemmel), Horohoro being given the nickname Trey, Ren becoming "Lenny" (and later, just Len), but all of these are reverted in the Netflix dub of the new series, despite using about half the same cast as the 4Kids dub of the 2001 series. The only exception being Chocolove, who is still called Joco for obvious reasons.

Dogasu updated episode 3 about removing the potential seizures from the footage. So... Do we conclude that 4kids did not do any extra dimming of the footage? I feel like the pikachu shocking pigioto scene was dimmed for the dub or am I misremembering?

Dogasu updated episode 3 about removing the potential seizures from the footage. So... Do we conclude that 4kids did not do any extra dimming of the footage? I feel like the pikachu shocking pigioto scene was dimmed for the dub or am I misremembering?
Yeah I don't think 4Kids did anything like that.
After seeing this latest comparison personally I think Japan way overreacted with some of the edits, some of the stuff being trimmed like the red and blue flashes and the electricity I get, but editing it so characters don't slide into the frame and and are already there and removing frames from string-shot seems pretty damn ridiculous, how the hell is that going to cause seizures?

Yeah I don't think 4Kids did anything like that.
After seeing this latest comparison personally I think Japan way overreacted with some of the edits, some of the stuff being trimmed like the red and blue flashes and the electricity I get, but editing it so characters don't slide into the frame and and are already there and removing frames from string-shot seems pretty damn ridiculous, how the hell is that going to cause seizures?
I assume they were taking a "better safe than sorry" approach at the time.

I assume they were taking a "better safe than sorry" approach at the time.

And I think Suede said there was another anime which did cause seizures before Electric Soldier Porygon and networks did nothing in between to take precautions. So basically working a little harder the second time around.

Im assuming they didn't use Jason Paige's vocals again?
Doesn't sound like it - sounds more like one of the mixes they did with Ben Dixon for either the 20th anniversary movie or the Mewtwo remake.

tbh I'm guessing with some of Jason Paige's uh, political activities since he did Pokemon TPCI probably wants to keep their distance.

Doesn't sound like it - sounds more like one of the mixes they did with Ben Dixon for either the 20th anniversary movie or the Mewtwo remake.

tbh I'm guessing with some of Jason Paige's uh, political activities since he did Pokemon TPCI probably wants to keep their distance.
What kind of activities? I know the dude supported Ron Paul(ugh) back when he was running for president but i've not heard of him being a Drumpf supporter or anything like that.

What kind of activities? I know the dude supported Ron Paul(ugh) back when he was running for president but i've not heard of him being a Drumpf supporter or anything like that.
He made a similar parody of the Pokemon theme song that featured him walking around in a hazmat suit "collecting" all of the COVID variants (gotta catch 'em all), with lyrics suggesting that the pandemic was a conspiracy orchestrated by big tech and pharma to cull the population and all of that.

He's also a member of the Church of Satan, which I can't imagine TPCI would want to associate with either. That being said, that was on his Wikipedia page before and I see that it's not currently, so maybe that was just an untrue rumor.

Back
Top Bottom