• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Johto and Chronicles

domesticshorthair

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea if these have been released on dvd? I have the ones for the Johto League Champions, and Quest, but can't seem to find the first Johto ones. Or the Chronicles. I've looked just about everywhere, amazon, even ebay, but nope, not even used ones. Or the Born to be a Winner on any soundtrack.

Last edited:
Johto Journies were never released on DVD boxsets, and Chronicles wasn't released in the U.S. on DVD either.

I suppose they will eventually, but Viz is very slow when it comes to DVD releases for Pokemon.

I think that only Australia has the wallet set of said seasons. Don't know which episodes they contain but that the season that are released were seasons 1 though 8.

I just hope viz releases the seasons 3,4,7 and 8. And chronicles too. It would be awesome for me to own all the seasons on DVD.

And I did not know that "Born To Be A Winner" wasn't released on CD, That would be neat since that is one of my favorite theme songs of the anime, Just like there isn't a full version of "This Dream" from season 7.

I have vol 1-3 of Chronicles which has about 9 or 12 episodes on region 2, don't know if other regions exist. Checking amazon.com, you can get Johto Journies, but not as a box set, just various DVD's

I don't know about a box set, or about the States, but the chronicles are definitely on Region 2 DVDs. If you have a regionfree (or whatever it's called) DVD player, you could buy those from the internet.

All of Johto Journies, except for the last two episodes, are available on DVD. The DVDs have long since been out of print and are next to impossible to find (e-bay's your best bet), but they do exist.

Chronicles was only released on DVD in the U.K. (and maybe Australia?).

Scott85 said:
I suppose they will eventually, but Viz is very slow when it comes to DVD releases for Pokemon.

"Slow?" What are you talking about? We've been getting a steady stream of new discs every few months for YEARS now.

The bad thing is that unless you don't mind downloading the episodes through P2P you need an all-region DVD player which is extremely rare and quite expensive these days or quite possibly a hacked DVD-ROM drive in order to watch the only releases of Pokemon Chronicles out there. I had no choice but to go the P2P route since I don't own a region 2 or all region DVD player but even then there are just four episodes from that entire part of the series I wanted so a DVD set would not be practical.

"Slow?" What are you talking about? We've been getting a steady stream of new discs every few months for YEARS now.

Are you talking about those piss-poor Pokemon all-star DVDs that have 5 random episodes?

Who the hell gives a crap about those?

No, I'm talking about the releases of the series proper. Diamond & Pearl is finishing up now (the last two volumes come out today), and DP Battle Dimension discs start coming out in June. We've also got the Giratina movie coming out at the end of the month.

There was a bit of a wait when it came to those Battle Frontier sets, but every other release in the past few years (Advanced, Advanced Challenge, Advanced Battle, Diamond & Pearl) have been steady.

No, I'm talking about the releases of the series proper. Diamond & Pearl is finishing up now (the last two volumes come out today), and DP Battle Dimension discs start coming out in June. We've also got the Giratina movie coming out at the end of the month.

But that's because this is all PUSA-handled stuff getting boxset treatment. Of course PUSA is going to get out their produced seasons, such as BF and DP onward on DVD shortly.

Outside of releasing the original Kanto because of nostalgia (and perhaps the 10th anniversary) and a re-release of the Orange Islands, the other arcs have been ignored. Even those old Master Quest and Advanced boxsets are out of print.

Sure, Advanced Challenge and Battle got releases, but not everyone is going to track down 5 ep per disc DVDs, many of which are impossible to find now.

It's probably because Viz/PUSA feel those older seasons don't advertise the new games in any way, so there's no reason to bother with them anymore.

Hmm, with more and more of the series being released in box set format for region 1, this has really become a popular complaint as of late. It's getting kind of exhausting to think about, really. Just fill 'em in already, please. XP

Scott85 said:
Sure, Advanced Challenge and Battle got releases, but not everyone is going to track down 5 ep per disc DVDs, many of which are impossible to find now.
Yeah, spending over a hundred dollars for 52 episodes may not be so crazy for other series, but for this one where the DVDs are rather low in quality and you can buy the other parts of the series at much lower prices, the single discs are too expensive for their own good. And single discs suck in the first place; the world would be a better place without them. Not that anyone's saying they shouldn't bother with sets when there are single releases that have been released, I just like to whine.

Scott85 said:
Even those old Master Quest and Advanced boxsets are out of print.
...no, they aren't? o.o They just aren't in stores.

Scott85 said:
But that's because this is all PUSA-handled stuff getting boxset treatment. Of course PUSA is going to get out their produced seasons, such as BF and DP onward on DVD shortly.

Your original complaint is that Viz is "very slow when it comes to DVD releases of Pokemon," but now you're admitting that their releases come out "shortly" after their broadcast? Make up your mind!

Outside of releasing the original Kanto because of nostalgia (and perhaps the 10th anniversary) and a re-release of the Orange Islands, the other arcs have been ignored.

...and? Viz never promised to release all the older seasons in boxsets. That was just the fans' putting words in their mouths.

So Viz should just keep recirculating their DVDs every few years? Regardless of whether or not people would actually buy the nth release of some old Johto episodes?

As you like to keep pointing out in every single thread ever, this series is looooooooong. The company is probably doing everything they can to release the newer episodes as quickly as possible (I mean, I'd love for you to name one series that has fourteen episodes released every three months or so). They probably just don't have the time to go back to re-release these older episodes. Especially Johto, a portion of the series that (again, as you point out in every single thread ever) is hated by a lot of people.

Lil Brother said:
And single discs suck in the first place; the world would be a better place without them

I actually like the single releases of this series better than the boxsets. But then again, I'm one of those people who likes owning DVDs that don't look like shitty fourth generation VHS quality.

if you cant find them on dvd try here

Edit from Dogasu: Um...no

Last edited by a moderator:
Your original complaint is that Viz is "very slow when it comes to DVD releases of Pokemon," but now you're admitting that their releases come out "shortly" after their broadcast? Make up your mind!

OK, I just mean everything prior to DP. As I said, we had to wait what...almost a year for Battle Frontier to come out on DVD? But you're right, it is nice the DP seasons come to DVD almost immediately. But I just think its because PUSA wants to make money (obviously) on DVDs that kids see on TV and are familar with.

...and? Viz never promised to release all the older seasons in boxsets. That was just the fans' putting words in their mouths.

But is it not in their incentive to do so to make money off of older eps that will likely never air on TV again? These DVDs are made as cheaply as possible. The picture quality on most is below average, there are no special features, there is no Japanese version, its just slapping some eps on a disc.

Seriously, when is Cartoon Network ever going to air Johto or Hoenn again? They probably never will, so Viz/PUSA have an incentive to make money off these seasons by releasing them properly on DVD rather than letting these eps "rot away in some vault."

So Viz should just keep recirculating their DVDs every few years? Regardless of whether or not people would actually buy the nth release of some old Johto episodes?

You really think those 3 ep Johto DVDs from...2000 really matter today in 2009? It's not like we're talking about something recent, and on that note, why re-release Orange Islands then which were already out?

As you like to keep pointing out in every single thread ever, this series is looooooooong. They probably just don't have the time to go back to re-release these older episodes. Especially Johto, a portion of the series that (again, as you point out in every single thread ever) is hated by a lot of people.

Yet Kanto, Orange Islands, Battle Frontier, DP and all the movies are already out properly on DVD. Those arcs are done. All they really need to do is catch up on the Johto and Hoenn eps that have yet to be released. This comes out to about 250 episodes that still need to be released, since they may consider "Master Quest" and "Advanced" already done.

It's not as if they're starting from scratch and need to get out all 600 episodes at once.

And seriously, why do they bother releasing those Pokemon all-star DVDs then? Don't they waste money releasing those things that nobody buys besides a few kids?

All of Johto Journies, except for the last two episodes, are available on DVD. The DVDs have long since been out of print and are next to impossible to find (e-bay's your best bet), but they do exist.

Chronicles was only released on DVD in the U.K. (and maybe Australia?).

Yep your right about Australia getting Chronicles but Chronicles were bonus in the boxsets. Meaning you have to buy season 1 to 6 boxsets (super wallets) just to get all of Chronicles in Australia. Kind of expensive when you think about it because it all adds up.

Not sure what's going on with viz. Hope you guys get what your after in the future some time.

Last edited:
But is it not in their incentive to do so to make money off of older eps that will likely never air on TV again? These DVDs are made as cheaply as possible. The picture quality on most is below average, there are no special features, there is no Japanese version, its just slapping some eps on a disc.

Seriously, when is Cartoon Network ever going to air Johto or Hoenn again? They probably never will, so Viz/PUSA have an incentive to make money off these seasons by releasing them properly on DVD rather than letting these eps "rot away in some vault."

Maybe they're hoping to do it like Disney. They go to the vault for a while, and get re-released every few years or so. At least I do hope so.

if you cant find them on dvd try here

I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't link to websites like that...

Moving on... It seems that Finland is being ignored completely, because it lasted a while because I even realized that there exists Pokémon DVD Boxsets. Before that, I always thought that all DVD's were those 2 episodes per disc-ones. But I'm pretty sure one can hunt some from Amazon or places like that. And even then, I would need a new DVD player.

Scott85 said:
But I just think its because PUSA wants to make money (obviously) on DVDs that kids see on TV and are familar with.

That, and they know that more kids will buy a DP set more than they'd buy any Johto set. Kids don't care about the older stuff.

These DVDs are made as cheaply as possible. The picture quality on most is below average, there are no special features, there is no Japanese version, its just slapping some eps on a disc.

But even that takes time and manpower. Negotiating the rights, making the DVD menus, encoding everything, designing the packaging, getting everything set up with the actual production of the discs, marketing...this stuff doesn't just do itself, y'know.

Seriously, when is Cartoon Network ever going to air Johto or Hoenn again?

When those episodes get the network good ratings.

They probably never will, so Viz/PUSA have an incentive to make money off these seasons by releasing them properly on DVD rather than letting these eps "rot away in some vault."

It's a cost vs. earnings thing. The reason Viz likely even bothered to release Kanto on DVD is because they knew that the sales of that could be driven by nostalgia alone. And Orange Islands was just a repackage of the old singles ("Sneak Peak" of Pokemon 4Ever and all) and still have some of that nostalgia attached to it.

But Johto? The mainstream public sees that as the point where Pokemon jumped the shark. Nostalgia can't save that one.

You really think those 3 ep Johto DVDs from...2000 really matter today in 2009?

Like I said before...even though it would be nice to have boxsets of those old, out-of-print singles, the fact that said boxsets don't exist isn't that big a deal because the episodes have been released on DVD. While tracking down the singles isn't ideal, it's better than nothing.

Really, it just sounds like you're being pissy at Viz for not releasing a series of boxsets that they never even hinted at being interested in releasing in the first place.

All they really need to do is catch up on the Johto and Hoenn eps that have yet to be released.

Hoenn is already released on DVD. And released fairly recently, too - the oldest disc is only less than four years old. And is easily available for purchase on sites like Amazon.

I can't wait until you start bitching about how Viz needs to re-release Battle Frontier in 2012 because those "old sets don't matter anymore."

And seriously, why do they bother releasing those Pokemon all-star DVDs then? Don't they waste money releasing those things that nobody buys besides a few kids?

Viz is probably just fulfilling some contractual obligations.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom