• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: The Japanese Language Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XD375

Shane
Reaction score
Since we have some Japanese speakers and learners here, I thought this would be a useful thread. ^^

I'm quite new, and I'm wondering how I would write the word "Arena" with Japanese characters. I'm trying to write Pokémon Arena in Japanese, and all I have so far is ポケモン, the word for Pokémon. Is that Kanji or Katakana? Whatever it is, I'd prefer if Arena were written to match the same lettering. :]

Oh, and it's a bit offtopic, but is ポケモン ever actually used in Japanese to represent the word "Pokémon", or just ポケットモンスター?

Last edited:
Arena?
アリーナ
Written in katakana to match what you already had (plus it's the only real way anyone would write "Pokemon Arena")

Yes, ポケモン is the official shortform for ポケットモンスター.

Now a days, I see ポケモン more than ポケットモンスター in official stuff, to tell you the truth...

Since we have some Japanese speakers and learners here, I thought this would be a useful thread. ^^

Actually, I think this thread is a wonderful idea, thanks for making it. So that others can come back to it in the future with questions, I'm making it a sticky so that it's always on top. :D

Thanks Sato! :]

EDIT: I just noticed, two of my three posts in this thread are exactly the same. *shot*

Hiya!

Reading the ("final" thought about the Arceus/Mew "problem".) thread in the PokeWorld section reminded me that I had a couple of interesting pics on the topic that have been lying around in my hard drive since last October. Sadly I have forgotten about its source. I think I got it off Pokesho.com but I could be wrong. (Do help me out with that little dilemma I have if you know where these are up!)

The trouble is that they both are in Japanese, so I can't make any headway on them.

Please help in there translation. They are quite amusing!
I've uploaded them both into my album.
Here you go: Mew and the Dinosaurs!

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/picture.php?albumid=424&pictureid=6717

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/picture.php?albumid=424&pictureid=6718

How would I write

Max King

In Japanese?

In katakana (I hope for the best here - I can see only squares!)
マクスキング
Should look something like:

If it doesn't look like the pic, it's wrong :p - someone else can do it!

Yep, i can see it perfectly, no squares at all.
My comp for some reason can see all the symbols whereas other computers cant

Thank you Il Kanji

But does it correspond to the pic?

(Mine shows squares because I never bothered to install Japanese script :p Because I'm lazy)

Hi, can anyone translate

"Live to Love" for me?

I can't see the characters either, I guess it's not installed in my computer, so can I maybe get a screen shot of it? Thank you.

And how about...
"Windows Vista",
"With sickening crunches, four-legged automatons crawled through the streets, crushing scattered bodies beneath their metal appendages."
This was copied and pasted from my fanfic... a random ctrl v.

Eh, just curious, that's all.

Well, if anyone's serious about learning Japanese, I actually recommend that "My Japanese Coach" game for the DS. It is cheap, and also very accurate, teaching you how to read and write as well as speak the language. I hear those Rosetta Stone programs are also extremely good, if you can stand the $250+ price tag.

And how about...
"Windows Vista",
"With sickening crunches, four-legged automatons crawled through the streets, crushing scattered bodies beneath their metal appendages."
This was copied and pasted from my fanfic... a random ctrl v.

Eh, just curious, that's all.

Well, Windows Vista in Japanese would be...
Windows Vista.

...and I'm not going to waste time translating the other one. If you're really curious Use a web translator.

Well, if anyone's serious about learning Japanese, I actually recommend that "My Japanese Coach" game for the DS. It is cheap, and also very accurate, teaching you how to read and write as well as speak the language.
:O I was saying just last week how useful a game like that would be! I didn't realise one actually existed. I gotta buy myself a DS...

:O I was saying just last week how useful a game like that would be! I didn't realise one actually existed. I gotta buy myself a DS...

Well, you're in luck, then! ^_^ Or psychic. One or the other. But yes, the touch screen is put to good use with you practicing how to write the characters. The game also makes good use of the microphone, giving you an opportunity to match your pronunciation with that of Japanese speakers. The game itself is well-paced, too.

...and I'm not going to waste time translating the other one. If you're really curious Use a web translator.

Yes, but all the translators I've seen translate directly in to Jap characters rather than romanization.

Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom