• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

Best post on this thread

All of this. Except for the Regis thing: as if every body here knew braille, not to mention thatn children, the main focus target of the games, may don't even know what does dots on the signs mean, as they may not know what the hell braille is.

Orion basically said everything I've wanted to say in this thread.

Despite how many times it's explained, fans still can't get over the fact that Gen.III isn't compatible with earlier Gens. Just because you can't bring your level 100 Nintendo event New into RSE doesn't mean it was "for nothing." You can still keep it on your older games, and with GSC you have the option to store it on Stadium 2 if the battery is an issue. I never really got emotionally attached to the Pokemon in my earlier games, even when my Gold copy's battery died. Yes, it sucked that my favorite level 82 Chikorita (yes I didn't evolve it but it was still awsome.) went with it, but I managed to get another one when I played Colosseum (got the Bayleef in story mode.) Even if it wasn't the same one from Gold, it doesn't matter. They're all just a bunch of pixels at the end of the day.

Orion basically said everything I've wanted to say in this thread.

Despite how many times it's explained, fans still can't get over the fact that Gen.III isn't compatible with earlier Gens. Just because you can't bring your level 100 Nintendo event New into RSE doesn't mean it was "for nothing." You can still keep it on your older games, and with GSC you have the option to store it on Stadium 2 if the battery is an issue. I never really got emotionally attached to the Pokemon in my earlier games, even when my Gold copy's battery died. Yes, it sucked that my favorite level 82 Chikorita (yes I didn't evolve it but it was still awsome.) went with it, but I managed to get another one when I played Colosseum (got the Bayleef in story mode.) Even if it wasn't the same one from Gold, it doesn't matter. They're all just a bunch of pixels at the end of the day.
Thank you for this!! I don't get why it's such a big deal that you can't bring Pokémon from Gen II to Gen III either. I know a girl who is pretty adamant about it, even though she still loves the Hoenn games.

When in fact, the general distaste for Gen 3 clearly outweighs those who enjoy it.

There's only a general distaste because 3 people mostly post in the thread about how much it apparently sucks.

It's really only getting "heat" because there hasn't been enough time for people to go nostalgia-crazy over it (They're too busy masterbating to GS related stuff to care too much right now).

Same thing seems to occur with a few Zelda games, specifically Twilight Princess right now.

There's only a general distaste because 3 people mostly post in the thread about how much it apparently sucks.

It's really only getting "heat" because there hasn't been enough time for people to go nostalgia-crazy over it (They're too busy masterbating to GS related stuff to care too much right now).

Same thing seems to occur with a few Zelda games, specifically Twilight Princess right now.

Gen III is getting close to its seventh anniversary (FRLG were released when Gen I was getting 8 years old, to set a comparison), and the current handheld is ditching away the GBA compatibility. If I loved Gen III, I'd be already starting my nostalgia ranting.

Seriously, I remember lots of people going GSC-nostalgia ever since they knew Ruby and Sapphire werent' going to be compatible with GSC. As for myself, I started missing the Gen since early 2002, when my cartidge died (yes I played it a lot and my battery died very quick).

I'm not ditching against Gen III nor in favor of Gen II, just pointing out what I've seen in my personal experience. I joined here less than a year ago, but I've heard Gen II is the most missed and beloved since I was in high school (I'm 23 now, to give you an idea).

On the Zelda thing, the same. I well remember of Ocarina of Time being praised as one of the best video games ever back in 1999 and not since 2004 or whatever year it started to be seen as old and brought nostalgia in.

Lol. While there are several posters who've consistently posted some kind of distaste for the game, there've been a shit load of people dropping in here to show their disdain. Lets not make shit up, the generality certainly comes from the numbers.

It's really only getting "heat" because there hasn't been enough time for people to go nostalgia-crazy over it
Lol, it's been getting heat since its creation. Long before this thread was ever made. There was a reason why the TP felt it necessary to create the topic in the first place, asking why "so many" people hate Gen 3. Stuff like it seems to appear all over the Pokenetz actually.

Not following this analogy. What do you mean?

Besides, RSE was released in 02-03. How long does it take for nostalgia to kick in if we're in 09? Additionally, GSC was released only like a year or two earlier. The nostalgia theory is complete bullshit here.
---

And I like how everyone is filing in behind Orion's post like it's the greatest ever. That was a solid(albeit obvious and redundant) response regarding the issue of compatability in an attempt to connect gen 2 and 3, while the topics of legendary acquisition and such is purely subjective. It's not like he's snuffed every single reason to dislike Gen 3.

And even then, on the compatability matter, I find it hard to believe that they couldn't come up with something to update (like double everything) or randomize the stats of a given Pokemon in order to adjust it to the new console/game. In actuality, it shouldn't be all that different from egg hatching. The eggs are always implemented with the given code of the Pokemon, yet the IVs and everything else always differ.

If even a Pal Park system was created for Gen 3, as oppose to something more glitch prone like trading, the codes for the desired Pokemon could be transferred over into the special area with completely upgraded data for each of them (sans the level, maybe).

But I'm not gonna get too far into that, as it's pointless debating "options" for something that's already passed. It could've been done though. You act like the other innovations for Pokemon have been utterly simplistic.

Last edited:
(They're too busy masterbating to GS related stuff to care too much right now).

Thank you for making me laugh. A bit crude perhaps, but where's the harm in that? It's pretty much what I've been thinking ever since the news was released.

All of this. Except for the Regis thing: as if every body here knew braille, not to mention thatn children, the main focus target of the games, may don't even know what does dots on the signs mean, as they may not know what the hell braille is.

and nintendo knew this, and icluded braille translations in the instruction booklet. YEAH. THEY DID. So stop whining about it being imposssible to translate, because even I as an 11 year old was able to read all the braille in the game.

And I like how everyone is filing in behind Orion's post like it's the greatest ever. That was a solid(albeit obvious and redundant) response regarding the issue of compatability in an attempt to connect gen 2 and 3, while the topics of legendary acquisition and such is purely subjective. It's not like he's snuffed every single reason to dislike Gen 3.

Maybe it's because I agree with most of Orion's posts? Nobody ever said they were "the best ever."

Not following this analogy. What do you mean?

Twilight Princess, despite being a solid game with no real discerable "flaws" seems to get alot of flack simply because it isn't an older title or a newer title.

It's almost the same situation with Gen III games. They aren't really new any longer nor are they really old. Yet for some reason, it seems to be getting a ton of hate.

and nintendo knew this, and icluded braille translations in the instruction booklet. YEAH. THEY DID. So stop whining about it being imposssible to translate, because even I as an 11 year old was able to read all the braille in the game.

They did? Sorry, I didn't know. I own a Ruby version, but my nephew sold it to me without the booklet, and I also have an Emerald copy with full booklet, but there's no translation on its booklet. But if RS's booklet has it, I'll retreat and apologize.

And by the way, I'm not whining, if you read my previous posts you'll see that actually I'm defending Gen III. But still, no Gen has been perfect and we can't cover their mistakes with the tip of one finger.

Twilight Princess, despite being a solid game with no real discerable "flaws" seems to get alot of flack simply because it isn't an older title or a newer title.

It's almost the same situation with Gen III games. They aren't really new any longer nor are they really old. Yet for some reason, it seems to be getting a ton of hate.

It's seems you didn't read my previous posts. So, if 7 years aren't enough for you to be old, what is? In 2006, when Gen II was 7 years old, people wre already nostalgic and expecting their remakes.

Yes but that means that you actually either kept the booklet or looked at it at all. I fell into neither of these categories and not having access to the internet meant I just didn't even know these pokemon existed so I never even got the chance to figure out Braille

Yes but that means that you actually either kept the booklet or looked at it at all. I fell into neither of these categories and not having access to the internet meant I just didn't even know these pokemon existed so I never even got the chance to figure out Braille

lol then that's your own fault, and then you shouldn't blame the game for adding pokémon that are only obatainable when you decipher the braille. I think the Regi's are a good lesson to anyone who doesn't read the instruction booklet >:D (not that I do that nowadays, but I did then xD)

lol then that's your own fault, and then you shouldn't blame the game for adding pokémon that are only obatainable when you decipher the braille. I think the Regi's are a good lesson to anyone who doesn't read the instruction booklet >:D (not that I do that nowadays, but I did then xD)

It's his own fault?! When a developer makes a game, it's never the customer's fault if they do something wrong. It's the fault of the developer for forcing the customer to do something that isn't inherent to the nature of the game. The customer shouldn't have to keep the instruction booklet, they should be able to play without it. I mean, the blame should be the developers, because they should have forseen and prepared for the possibility that someone might have thrown away their instruction booklet.

It's his own fault?! When a developer makes a game, it's never the customer's fault if they do something wrong. It's the fault of the developer for forcing the customer to do something that isn't inherent to the nature of the game. The customer shouldn't have to keep the instruction booklet, they should be able to play without it. I mean, the blame should be the developers, because they should have forseen and prepared for the possibility that someone might have thrown away their instruction booklet.

Also, an instruction booklet is supposed to tell you how to play the game if you've never played it anymore. It's not supposed to provide clues to game secrets. Those clues should be in the game itself.

Also, an instruction booklet is supposed to tell you how to play the game if you've never played it anymore. It's not supposed to provide clues to game secrets. Those clues should be in the game itself.

Definitely.

I also wonder why instruction manuals are needed anymore. Most games have in-game tutorials anyway.

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? Visual braille isn't needed to play pokemon, it was an in-game secret (since there were many other complicated steps in the Regi-quest besides what the braille clues told you to do). That was one of the failings of the Regi quest, that you needed help from somewhere.

I also wonder why instruction manuals are needed anymore. Most games have in-game tutorials anyway.

That is, if you believe that tutorials are necessary to begin with. I think that games should be designed in a way where they are instantly-playable without tutorials. I mean, can anyone imagine Super Mario Brothers or the first Zelda with tutorials?

But this is getting off=topic. My point is that the Regi sidequest (whether you liked the challenge or not) was hard and unnecessarily complicated.

The game developer is certainly not going to give away all the game's secrets on a silver platter, it would only serve to ruin the surprise.

It's intentional that a game developer adds stuff for the player to discover on their own. Pokémon is actually extremely liberal when it comes to secrets of the game. Many adventure games, especially ones by Sierra like King's Quest don't even tell you important stuff that's vital to winning. These games simply delivers "fuck you" after "fuck you" to the player who has no idea what to do next.

If the player really can't figure out what he/she's missing, then it's his/her loss because to be frank, information isn't that difficult to acquire.

It's just laziness to expect the developer to provide everything for you.

Besides, it isn't like you specifically need the Regis to complete the game.

Personally, I loved the third gen. May be because Sapphire was my first pokemon game, but still. The only thing I really hated about gen. 3 was that there wasn't much to do after the Elite 4. Other than that I liked Hoenn, especially the water and diving!

the clues are in the game itself. Only the instruction booklet is nice enough to help you translate the braille in-game.

It's his own fault?! When a developer makes a game, it's never the customer's fault if they do something wrong.

So I make a game, and I give the player the choice to pick three ways, left up and right, and I give the clue: you should go the opposite way of right, and the player goes up and dies. Is it then my fault that that player died? Just because he was to stupid to know the opposite of right is left?

It's the fault of the developer for forcing the customer to do something that isn't inherent to the nature of the game.
At least you don't have to do it to continue with the story, unlike an old game in which you had to put something that came along with the instruction booklet underwater to gain a code and then you could continue.[/quote]

The customer shouldn't have to keep the instruction booklet, they should be able to play without it. I mean, the blame should be the developers, because they should have forseen and prepared for the possibility that someone might have thrown away their instruction booklet.
Why would you throw away an instruction booklet? It's not like you don't have the space to keep it. Just keep it in your game's box or something. geez.

Also, why is everybody complaining about the regi's being too hard? One of the most common complaints I've heard about R/S is because it's "too easy". SO then we have a harder side quest, but of course that's not ok either. And I'll bet my money on it that if the Regi's were in Gen II no one would've complaint about it. Typically Fan Dumb

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom