• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

Can we get off of the Regis fight PLEASE? It's been like 3 pages of it, and anyway, with Platinum it's very easy to get them, so it's a thing of the past. There are much more things to discuss about Gen III, like XD and Colosseum, which, as I'm concealed, have been barely spoken of in this thread.

Can we get off of the Regis fight PLEASE? It's been like 3 pages of it, and anyway, with Platinum it's very easy to get them, so it's a thing of the past. There are much more things to discuss about Gen III, like XD and Colosseum, which, as I'm concealed, have been barely spoken of in this thread.

not in this thread, but I've seen haters in other threads. XD wasn't as good as Colosseum, but they both ROCKED either way. Just like the ranger games and the first mystery dungeon (I really like spin-offs. I like them even better then the main games).

Actually, it's rather very hard to get them, you have to get the goddamn regigigas!

I believe Colosseum was a great game.
Unfortunately, I didn't particularly enjoy the fact that with nearly every Pokemon, you only had one chance to get it.

I could understand it for the legendaries, but some other simple Pokemon only gave you one chance to catch it.
I have still yet to obtain Ho-Oh.

And I will never get the Regi's in Platinum, due to the simple fact you need an event Regigigas to obtain them, which is out of reach for many people.

I believe Colosseum was a great game.
Unfortunately, I didn't particularly enjoy the fact that with nearly every Pokemon, you only had one chance to get it.

I could understand it for the legendaries, but some other simple Pokemon only gave you one chance to catch it.
I have still yet to obtain Ho-Oh.

actually that's not true. For every pokémon except togetic and some pokémon inseide the shadow lab, you had two chances to get them. see this guide for it

You still don't have that many chances to get them.
I've beat Colosseum many times, and I've never caught all Shadow Pokemon on one file due to complications (Shadow Rush Recoil, One/Two chances to get said Pokemon etc.)

Gah, I hated that.

It's his own fault?! When a developer makes a game, it's never the customer's fault if they do something wrong. It's the fault of the developer for forcing the customer to do something that isn't inherent to the nature of the game. The customer shouldn't have to keep the instruction booklet, they should be able to play without it. I mean, the blame should be the developers, because they should have forseen and prepared for the possibility that someone might have thrown away their instruction booklet.

Sorry about bringing up Zelda again, but I think it's rather pertinent. The first Zelda game didn't have an instruction booklet that told you to bomb an obscure wall on the side of a mountain to enter a dungeon, let alone all of the other extremely obscure things to do in that game, and they weren't even optional, they were necessary[\i] to progress through the game, and they didn't even have internet back then! I don't hear anyone hating on Zelda for that. I guess it could be said that games today have gotten easier over the years and developpers practically walk you through them, but I don't find that means that you can't ever have obscure quests in video games today. Honestly, I don't find it a very good reason to hate on gen III because everything wasn't handed on a silver platter.

And yeah, I like Colosseum and XD a lot too, although I was dissapointed to know that they were less in-depth than Stadiums 1 and 2. I can't get over how those two N64 games had a GB player built right into them, and Colosseum and XD screwed their players over and forced them to buy Pokemon Box or the game boy player. I guess you could say that was one of my qualms with gen III, the somewhat dissapointing console games.

I actually have played every generation except III. I'm starting it right now, and so far, I have enjoyed it. I'm currently at Slateport City and I have a few thoughts so far:

-I love the new pokemon. I think that some people compare them too much to the previous generation pokemon and can't seem to let go.

-Hoenn seems to be very diverse, from the looks of it. I actually like the backtracking which makes it seem less linear.

-The first two gym battles were a good challenge for me. Maybe it's because I had the wrong pokemon, but I actually had to train somewhat more than the previous generations.

Overall, I think I'm going to really enjoy this game. I don't know why I skipped it in the first place :dumb:

Overall, I think I'm going to really enjoy this game. I don't know why I skipped it in the first place :dumb:

Because Gen III had a lot of problems at the time that aren't really problems anymore. The Gen II-compatibility issue isn't important anymore now that we're two gens ahead of that. And the fact that it was hard to get some of the pokemon is really eliminated too, so people can now play Gen III for enjoyment instead of completion. And Without the problems that plagued Gen III, the actual games can shine through. A big portion of the problems with Gen III are after all, with the Generation, and not necessarily with the games.

Overall, I really enjoyed Gen III. I loved FireRed and LeafGreen and thought that the more mature, post-apocalyptic feel of Coloseum and XD was nothing short of amazing.

RSE on the other hand.....

The ratio of Pokemon I liked to Pokemon I didn't was...let's just say very uneven. Hell, I can count the ones I loved with one hand: Sceptile, Blaziken, Absol, Milotic, Salamence. Yeah...

All the surfing wasn't so much a problem as was the constant stream of Tentacool and the surf rules, that is to say, a pokemon can appear at any time while you're in the water. It gets a little annoying, and the ocean is just so vast I suffer from "too many places to go"

The Regi quest, while entertaining, was also a complete pain. I remember audibly going "wtf?!?!" at some of the conditions to unlock them (use Fly inside a cave? Really?)

No backwards compatibility. I know it's been said, and I know there isn't really much I can do about it, but it was a little disappointing not to be able to do it.

Brendan/May and Wally weren't rivals, they where just annoying. Green, Silver and Barry, now those were rivals.

All of these are minor grievences though, and they didn't really take away much from my gaming experience. Hoenn did have plenty of positives after all:

-Diverse environment
-the "tropical" feel
-Diving
-Double battles
-Introduction of Abilities and Natures
-FireRed/LeafGreen
-Coloseum/XD

All in all, I'd say the good far outweighs the bad...except for one thing:

That God awful excuse for a storyline. It was terrible...actually, I don't think terrible even begins to describe it.

Lets start with: it would never work. To expand the sea/land to the point where the other didn't exist would probably kill most life on the planet.

Then lets move on to: Kyogre/Groudon are myths!!! To achieve their terribly half baked plan, Teams Aqua and Magma decided to take a LEGEND and regard it as fact. That's like saying that I'm gonna go out and look for the Chupacabra so I can trick him into killing all my enemies. It's completely stupid. Lucky for them, the game developers decided to validate their pathetic beleifs.

As teams, they where just trying to compensate for the fact that Team Rocket was missing. And they did a horrible job at it.

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer my legendaries to not be involved with the plot. And yes, I am aware this is just a Pet Peeve of mine, but having a legendary shoved down your throat and forcing you to be this kind of "hero" instead of just a trainer...I didn't like that...even less when they had the audacity to redo the exact same plot for DPPt. I mean, isn't the point of having a silent protagonist to make player put themselves in the character's shoes? What if I don't care about Team Aqua/Magma destroying the world?

The dialogue didn't help either. I know Pokemon isn't exactly known for it's deep and complex conversations, but this was just ridiculous. Whenever Archie/Maxie opened their mouths I just wanted to hit them upside the head. Prof. Birch mentioning Brendan's/May's name like eight times in the conversation where he gives you the Pokedex doesn't help either.

Well that's it for my rant. If you read this far, then I commend you.

Final thoughts: all in all, I find Gen III to be pretty solid. It was in my opinion, the weakest of all the Generations, but it was good nonetheless. Even RSE, who get the most heat, where decent games. The Hoenn storyline though....now that was pure crap and to me, it's enough to offset most of the positive aspects of this Gen

Last edited:
Because Gen III had a lot of problems at the time that aren't really problems anymore. The Gen II-compatibility issue isn't important anymore now that we're two gens ahead of that. And the fact that it was hard to get some of the pokemon is really eliminated too, so people can now play Gen III for enjoyment instead of completion. And Without the problems that plagued Gen III, the actual games can shine through. A big portion of the problems with Gen III are after all, with the Generation, and not necessarily with the games.

Ahh, I see. Considering the games came out 7 years ago, I guess I didn't really think about that till now. Either way, I don't think I would of been bothered too much about the lack of filling out the entire pokedex. The new adventure alone would of been enough for me. :thumbup:

That God awful excuse for a storyline. It was terrible...actually, I don't think terrible even begins to describe it.

Lets start with: it would never work. To expand the sea/land to the point where the other didn't exist would probably kill most life on the planet.

Then lets move on to: Kyogre/Groudon are myths!!! To achieve their terribly half baked plan, Teams Aqua and Magma decided to take a LEGEND and regard it as fact. That's like saying that I'm gonna go out and look for the Chupacabra so I can trick him into killing all my enemies. It's completely stupid. Lucky for them the game developers decided to validate their pathetic beleifs.

As teams, they where just trying to compensate for the fact that Team Rocket was missing. And they did a horrible job at it.

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer my legendaries to not be involved with the plot. And yes, I am aware this is just a Pet Peeve of mine, but having a legendary shoved down your throat and forcing you to be this kind of "hero" instead of just a trainer...I didn't like that...even less when they had the audacity to redo the exact same plot for DPPt. I mean, isn't the point of having a silent protagonist to make player put themselves in the character's shoes? What if I don't care about Team Aqua/Magma destroying the world?

Final thoughts: all in all, I find Gen III to be pretty solid.

This. The Chupacabras thing really made me laugh!

Why on earth would complaining about the storyline help? The storylines are simply excuse plots anyway. Pokémon games in general only become interesting when you've beaten and unlocked everything in the main storyline anyway.

The main point of a Pokémon game is to train the monsters.

Why on earth would complaining about the storyline help? The storylines are simply excuse plots anyway. Pokémon games in general only become interesting when you've beaten and unlocked everything in the main storyline anyway.

I think that people complain about the plot when it's forced on them. I mean, it was fine in the first two Gens (IMO), because there wasn't too much to force on the player. But when the plot starts to get excessive and becomes an unskippable wall-of-text, it gets a little annoying.

I dunno. I prefer senseless enviromentalists that actually get close to their goal, over crybabies that want their boss back. At least they're good for laughs. :)

In any case, the Orre games (Colosseum and XD) were two other great aspects of 3rd Gen. Thoroughly underappreciated games as a whole, only because, guess what, it's not another boring as hell Stadium game. These games finally moved away from tradition, and only enrich the Pokémon Universe even more. We had an actually threatening organization, that controlled the entire Region, and were twisted enough to completely change the nature of Pokémon for their own purposes. Plus, it was full of wacky, yet interesting characters, with a divergent design, but pretty good nonetheless.

Most of all, I liked how Colosseum made a much better job at making the player use the 2nd Gen Pokémon. I could realize that many of them were actually pretty good and cool, and the awful distribution they had in the actual Gen 2 games was made even more apparent. I also enjoyed the plot, the delving on an otherwise taboo concept as is stealing Pokémon, and the dynamic of Shadow Pokémon, which made you spend some time training every Pokémon available, instead of just catching and dumping on the PC, which is what you usually do in mainstream games. Sadly, the Purifying Chamber in XD detracted from this otherwise great endeavor. Still, XD also had a good plot, and polished the low aspects of Colosseum, making it also a good game in its own right.

I'm actually surprised Colosseum and XD aren't getting hate here. I could see all the hatred they got back in the days, and it wasn't pretty.

Excuse me, here I was under the obviously mistaken impression that different people played the games for different reasons. I had absolutely no idea that if I wanted to play Pokemon, it had to be for the monster training. How could I have missed that?

Besides, just because the plot isn't the main draw for the series doesn't mean they are allowed to do a crap job with it. It doesn't justify that the plot royally sucked and it's my main grievence with RSE. Weather you like it or not, I hated it and it's quite as valid an argument as anyone else's dislike for this (or any other) Generations. If you don't like it...well, tough

Last edited:
Excuse me, here I was under the obviously mistaken impression that different people played the games for different reasons. I had absolutely no idea that if I wanted to play Pokemon, it had to be for the monster training. How could I have missed that?

Besides, just because the plot isn't the main draw for the series doesn't mean they are allowed to do a crap job with it. It doesn't justify that the plot royally sucked and it's my main grievence with RSE, weather you like it or not, and it's quite as valid as anyone else's dislike for this (or any other) Generations. If you don't like it...well, tough

Well then, don't whine when someone responds to your posting.

I dunno. I prefer senseless enviromentalists that actually get close to their goal, over crybabies that want their boss back. At least they're good for laughs. :)

In any case, the Orre games (Colosseum and XD) were two other great aspects of 3rd Gen. Thoroughly underappreciated games as a whole, only because, guess what, it's not another boring as hell Stadium game. These games finally moved away from tradition, and only enrich the Pokémon Universe even more. We had an actually threatening organization, that controlled the entire Region, and were twisted enough to completely change the nature of Pokémon for their own purposes. Plus, it was full of wacky, yet interesting characters, with a divergent design, but pretty good nonetheless.

Most of all, I liked how Colosseum made a much better job at making the player use the 2nd Gen Pokémon. I could realize that many of them were actually pretty good and cool, and the awful distribution they had in the actual Gen 2 games was made even more apparent. I also enjoyed the plot, the delving on an otherwise taboo concept as is stealing Pokémon, and the dynamic of Shadow Pokémon, which made you spend some time training every Pokémon available, instead of just catching and dumping on the PC, which is what you usually do in mainstream games. Sadly, the Purifying Chamber in XD detracted from this otherwise great endeavor. Still, XD also had a good plot, and polished the low aspects of Colosseum, making it also a good game in its own right.

I'm actually surprised Colosseum and XD aren't getting hate here. I could see all the hatred they got back in the days, and it wasn't pretty.

I have a slight bit of hate it...XD

Seriously though, I loved those two games for the specific reasons you stated, but while it did give more than the Stadium games in that regard, I find it also took a lot away unnecessarily. They got rid of rental pkmn, which I didn't like, but I guess I can understand, since they'd have to re-do 386 models all over again. I found the models and attack animations were slightly less refined than in the Stadium games in certain parts, but the features that dissapointed me the most were the lack of any equivalence to a GB tower in those games. Instead, you had to spend extra money on either pkmn box or the gameboy player. Oh, and the horrible transfer system that they had! Whereas Stadium 2 had up to twenty boxes that you could easily store your pkmn from your GB games into, the Colosseum games forced you to trade them to the other games (after you've finished both games, to boot), which made transfering very tedious.

Despite these gripes, I really do love thos games a whole lot, lol.

About the storyline, I don't really find that it annoys me. As ridiculous as it may be, I don't let it bother me, and as other people have said, pkmn game storylines don't have much depth or substance, so I don't see why I should get worked up over it.

Last edited:
A weak storyline is a given with Pokémon, but personally I thought the story was good for Pokémon standards.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom