• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Recent content by Aves

1. A

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

That's not a valid analogy considering the context of this little digression is anthropological speculation on the origins of cultural ideas. In primitive cultures, it certainly is the case that things that are commonly feared are associated with evil. And darkness, and things associated with...
  2. A

I'm aware of that. Game mechanics and game flavor are usually not totally consistent with one another in any game.
  3. A

The latter implies the former. My claim wasn't that nocturnality is (the only) reason why a representation is given the dark type, though. A dark type pokémon being nocturnal contributes to its overall theme. No, the implication comes from support from other data. The reason why specific...
  4. A

I guess it's a good thing that I wasn't claiming that being nocturnal causes an animal to be evil, then. But certainly that belief seems to be the basis of the metaphor of nocturnal animals being evil. You're just ignoring the nocturnal factor as part of the consideration and bringing up other...
  5. A

The distinction itself comes later than can be found in early mythology. As religious systems got more sophisticated over time, they began to emphasize different things than nature worship. Hence the Judeo-Christian god, which is a particularly abstract figure with a strong theme of absolute...
  6. A

I thought about it, and I guess maybe the justification is something along the lines that psychic represents intelligence and knowledge, using the power of its mind to gain advantages in battle, whereas the dark type, in being about trickery and deception, is able to fool psychics. You'd think...
  7. A

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Not really. The nocturnal mechanic, as stated, is only one way to show an association with darkness. I don't actually need to make any quantitative claims about the dark type. I am qualitatively weighing the significance of the...
  8. A

Nah, plenty of them seem to use it implicitly. That's an exaggeration. It's a pretty modest prediction, not wishful thinking. Of the existing types, psychic is the closest approximate to where those themes would fit. Psychic is ineffective against dark almost purely for balance reasons. And...
  9. A

Yet that isn't what I said at all. Those two moves use of explicit darkness, as well as the implicit darkness theme in many other moves and pokémon, are mutually supportive of the representation of darkness in the dark type. Qualitatively, the two moves set a precedent in my mind for continued...
  10. A

They do. Night Daze and Dark Void are explicit forms of actual darkness. The implication of these two examples is not isolated from the implicit motifs (in other moves and in dark type pokémon) which indicate the darkness theme of the dark type. It is of no concern to me whatsoever that the dark...
  11. A

Both. More specifically, the dark type has an implicit darkness theme to it. The former is not false because it is demonstrated by examples. The latter does matter because the metaphorical darkness presents itself (by color, but also other cues) as actual darkness. Discounting the color and...
  12. A

Yet my whole point is that the dark type is implicitly, rather than explicitly, about darkness. And this is exactly why it doesn't matter how many moves dark has which are explicit in this way. It's not a quantitative claim; it's not subject to statistical significance. It's a qualitative claim...
  13. A

They indicate darkness a good portion of the time, even if the indication is not always direct. But it's not 2. So? Dark types are not very numerous, so it's not at all surprising that most nocturnal pokémon aren't dark types. On the other hand, quite a few dark type pokémon are nocturnal...
  14. A

I don't see how. No, you're merely deflating it. I have a substantial amount of evidence which you have dismissed, so it's not insignificant, you just refuse to recognize it. In any case, there isn't exactly an outlined methodology for determining what would be statistically significant for...
  15. A

Well, let us not apply the same misunderstanding to the light type. Even if it does represent a theme of holiness does not automatically make it morally good. In many other games where holy themes are present, they don't convey a sense of inherent moral good. Presumably, the other side of the...
Back
Top Bottom