Recent content by Beth Pavell

1. Beth Pavell

POPULAR: What Did You Read Today?

Finished On The Map: Why the World Looks The Way It Does, Simon Garfield. The Brothers York: An English Tragedy, Thomas Penn, To Sleep In a Sea of Stars, Christopher Paolini
  2. Beth Pavell

Event Summer 2020 Oneshot Competition Public Vote

Hullo everyone! Slightly late but here nonetheless - as the judging continues for competition, now is also the chance for non-judges to vote for their favourite of the Summer oneshots. Here's the full list: Compound Eyes on the Surreal Sky, by Aozora Munchkins and Mythology, by Lightning Topaz...
  3. Beth Pavell

Anime What will be the next Anime series you'll watch?

I suspect it'll be the second half of Haikyuu! To The Top!
  4. Beth Pavell

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Nothing. July's trope is in the Written Word (Still open for discussion), and September's is pinned on the Workshop page
  5. Beth Pavell

POPULAR: What Did You Read Today?

Still in print, eh? I bought that for a friend of mine many years ago. The Brothers York: An English Tragedy, Thomas Penn, To Sleep In a Sea of Stars, Christopher Paolini
  6. Beth Pavell

The Legend of Zelda

I have to say, I got bored of Hyrule Warriors really quickly, in large part because the original characters were plainly not Zelda characters. That is to say, not in the style or spirit of The Legend of Zelda. So if this game means a cast of actual Legend of Zelda characters, then I'm...
  7. Beth Pavell

Event Summer 2020 Oneshot Competition Discussion

I've been coming down from the mad writing dash of the last week - and spending, what, six weeks on the same story? It's been nice to change up the writing process somewhat, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time. The pressure of a deadline tends to incentivise getting the words down and...
  8. Beth Pavell

TEEN: Machina Est Amor [Summer 2020 One-shot]

Rated TEEN for implicit and/or infrequent depictions of blood, injury, and/or violent deaths. MACHINA EST AMOR < 0 > Sing, O divine engine, of the pride and folly of man, that pride which struck down the valiant princeps for his hubris and brought disaster upon the Legio Alastor. Thus were...
  9. Beth Pavell

Rules The Writers' Workshop Rulebook & Information Hub

He's got the general gist of it Announcements and Events Summer 2020 seems to have been unkind on many of us writing here, so we've decided on a second extension to the Summer One-shot competition - new deadline is now 13th September. However, posting can begin from now, so anyone who finishes...
  10. Beth Pavell

Anime What was the last anime you watched before posting in this thread?

Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater, episode 9. Strange how anime doesn't usually just use random and wildly inappropriate stock noises for animals - but this episode did have me thinking "Grey herons do not sound like that"
  11. Beth Pavell

American Presidential Election Thread, 2020 Edition

Oh, and the College of Arms caught him trying to steal heraldry that he had no right to. In the roll of iniquity it's a very small footnote, but there is something heartening about a crusty and apparently obsolete institution refusing to allow arms to be simply bought
  12. Beth Pavell

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I'm really not going to help with the organisation of a contest on another site. There's more than enough effort involved in running the Workshop
  13. Beth Pavell

American Presidential Election Thread, 2020 Edition

I really don't have a horse in this race, but this just bothers me. The authors of the 22nd Amendment apparently were. Others apparently aren't. It's a legitimate question of political philosophy that has nothing whatsoever to do with the American 2020 presidential election. Assuming both of...
  14. Beth Pavell

Trope of the Month September: Antiheroes

Antiheroes - the character archetype everyone feels they're familiar with, but nobody manages to satisfactorily define. To give one attempt at a definition, antiheroes are the characters you're supposed to root for but are flawed in some major way. The flaws in their heroism vary, but in any...
  15. Beth Pavell

Music What music are you currently listening to?

Maurice Ravel, Boléro