1. Episode 14 of Bulbacast is now on YouTube. You can watch it right here.
  2. Hey everyone, confused about all the staff name changes? Want to get in on the villainy? Well then stop by here to see a list of staff name changes and to let us know what villain you will be theming this month! Happy Halloween from the forum staff!
Cap'n Jack
Last Activity:
Oct 15, 2018 at 3:22 PM
Blog Posts:
Birthday:
Mar 28, 1997 (Age: 21)

Cap'n Jack

I will burn my dread!, 21, from Florida, land of OJ and AC

Cap'n Jack was last seen:
Oct 15, 2018 at 3:22 PM
    1. Agent Aika Ryona Zero
      Agent Aika Ryona Zero
      Thank you very much for liking my post in names the trainers that you never want to lose to them and glad for that. Really glad and thank you very much. Hope you like this post answer it and answer the post that you already liked it in that thread
    2. Chibster
      Chibster
      I know I'm extremely late, but happy belated birthday!
      1. Cap'n Jack
        Cap'n Jack
        Thanks a bunch buttercup! Did I miss anything since I dropped off the face of the earth for a few months there?
        Apr 8, 2017
      2. Chibster
        Chibster
        Nothing much, if that's a good thing? Admittedly I haven't been coming here as much either!
        Apr 10, 2017
    3. Scarlet Sky
      Scarlet Sky
      You misspelled "bread" in your usertitle. :P
      1. Melting Meltan likes this.
      2. Cap'n Jack
        Cap'n Jack
        umm excuse me but "dread" is the original nipponese lyrics WRITTEN AND SUNG BY SHOJI MEGURO EFF KANYE EFF T-SWIFT ONLY MEGURO tyvm
        Nov 22, 2016
      3. Scarlet Sky
        Scarlet Sky
        BURN MY BREAAAAAD
        Nov 22, 2016
      4. Cap'n Jack
        Cap'n Jack
        I'm not a princess

Not your cutie girlfriend, oh no,

don't

you

know
        Nov 22, 2016
        Scarlet Sky likes this.
    4. Ren Amamiya
      Ren Amamiya
      jack, in case you didn't know, we have a discord server for BGN
      1. Freesia likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Cap'n Jack
        Cap'n Jack
        I'm not so sure about me. I'm going out of town tonight so I won't have Internet. Sorry... I hope you have lots of fun tonight no matter what you do, though!
        Aug 14, 2016
      4. Freesia
        Freesia
        Hey Jack have you joined our discord server yet? If not would you like the invite link? :)
        Aug 18, 2016
      5. Cap'n Jack
        Cap'n Jack
        Sure! I have no idea what Discord is or how it works, but seeing as you want me to, I'll do it!
        Aug 18, 2016
    5. Chibster
      Chibster
      Hey, thanks for the tips on those games! I just checked Amazon for TWEWY and for a new copy, $18 and change is not bad at all. I actually prefer buying used cib games on Ebay bc it's usually cheaper. I'll let you know if I buy any of them!
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Cap'n Jack
        Cap'n Jack
        I'd like to shop on the SE store but I don't have a credit card or a PayPal (working on getting a PayPal, no desire to ever get a credit card xO≈). As much as people like to rag on SE, they ask very reasonable prices for their products, you're practically stealing from them! So apparently Amazon has been slowly raising the free shipping minimum for everybody? When I registered it was $35, I thought that was a steal but you're telling me it used to be lower than that!?!? Eh, I'm just glad it's not what I was thinking, like Amazon decided to raise my minimum individually because I've spent so much money in the ~1 year that I've had my account. That would've been pretty shady. [s](doesn't mean it isn't shady to not automatically select free shipping I WANT A REIMBURSEMENT I WILL SUE! >_<)[/s]
        Jun 19, 2016
      3. Chibster
        Chibster
        Paypal is easy to set up! You can even load your account if you buy a Paypal card from a store's gift card section, but there's a $3.50 fee each time (which isn't that bad if you want to avoid credit card hassles.) I feel like they raised it bc other popular free shipping sites have a $49 min so Amazon wanted to make more money themselves x'D It's not all that bad if you get a free Prime trial and you pre-order games! 20% discount!!
        Jun 22, 2016
      4. Cap'n Jack
        Cap'n Jack
        Well shoot, PayPal cards sound right up my alley until I get my hands on a proper bank account. I tried getting that free trial of Prime, but I needed a debit card if not credit, and obviously I don't have a debit card yet because I haven't set up a bank account yet. It was the perfect time to get a discount on preorders because I was preordering Zero Time Dilemma and Persona 5, but whatever, I don't mind paying full price for what will surely be good games. If you can't tell, basically at this point in my life there's a ton of grown-up stuff I have to get set up but I haven't due to laziness combined with a fear of the unknown. v_v;
        Jun 26, 2016
    6. Cutiefly
      Cutiefly
      Thank you so much! :)
      I couldn't reply in conversation due to some unspecified error, so posting here.
      1. Cap'n Jack
        Cap'n Jack
        Captain Pallet, I like the sound of that. I wonder who has the Power of Heart. Hah! Topical humor!
        May 9, 2016
        Cutiefly likes this.
      2. Cutiefly
        Cutiefly
        Lol that's hilarious! I dunno who has the Power of Heart either.
        May 9, 2016
        Cap'n Jack likes this.
    7. TheCapsFan
      TheCapsFan
      Cap uses female pronouns now ^-^ and to reply directly to VM's you click the comment button in the bottom right corner of the VM and type the text! :D

Anyway I'm glad to see that kickass Makuhita again. [s]why did my mind think "umbreon" at first[/s]
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Cap'n Jack
        Cap'n Jack
        I just can't understand people who feel like that about themselves and it makes me seriously uncomfortable, because it requires me to change the language I use for reasons that I don't honestly believe. Have you ever thought that a lot of problems people face are the result of semantics being blown out of proportion? As insensitive as it may seem, that's how I see it, but of course it's like I said, I can't possibly understand what it's like without going through the same identity crisis myself. What I'm saying, though, is I can't help but think that that sort of an identity crisis is unnecessary and avoidable. That's my honest belief, as much as hypersensitive nitwits (even here on Bulba) have given me flak for that mind set.

I'm surprised you even remembered that user name! I think I might have adopted this avatar while I still had it. I don't know where I got the idea to keep the same avatar for as long as possible, but it's going on five years now. Jeezaloo!
        Jan 24, 2016
      3. TheCapsFan
        TheCapsFan
        I see where you're coming from 100% and I have to agree with you for the most part. Many of the problems in my life have occurred as a result of me blowing things out of proportion. And I can't understand what they're going through because I don't think that way about myself. But just because I'm not like them doesn't mean I can't appreciate their choices and stuff.

Haha, I have a decent memory when it comes to that stuff. My brain stores a ton of just purely useless details.
        Jan 24, 2016
      4. Cap'n Jack
        Cap'n Jack
        I'm glad you're able to see that a lack of understanding doesn't equal animosity. Some people don't realize that, though... "transphobe" this, "white cis male scum" that... that whole attitude ("Third Wave Feminism" or whatever you wanna call it) is one of the things that bothers me the most in the world right now. Like I said, I think it stems from people taking putting too much value in the imaginary set of rules we call language, and that's what makes it really petty. I'm starting to go a little bit off-the-rails, but I think you see where I'm coming from.

Dude, I can remember the color of my amine waifu's eyes but I've forgotten what my name is before! Apparently I've been like this all my life, because I remember when I was a kid, my mom wrote a note to one of my teachers telling them to bear with me because I had "absent-minded professor syndrome". I still laugh at that memory.
        Jan 24, 2016
    8. TheCapsFan
      TheCapsFan
      OMG

YOUR AVATAR

:'D
    9. Daria
      Daria
      words did indeed happen :O

Not everything is saved, but quite a lot of it is. I was surprised I found as much as I did, with millions of posts and all.

You could do that, or buck tradition and find a completely new avatar. It's your choice, I'll leave you to your existential crisis of tradition vs. progress : D
    10. Daria
      Daria
      Hey Jack, guess what I found? :V

http ://s26.postimg.org/eg6nk6wf9/avatar54120_3.png

(Remove the space between http and the colon)
    11. Fennel
      Fennel
      Part 2

Yeah, I've seen a lot of criticism for both Birdman and Boyhood regarding the style over substance thing. I did enjoy Boyhood and found parts of it really touching, but the second half of the film seemed to stretch on a bit too much for my liking. It didn't help that I found Mason vaguely annoying as a teenager (that rant about technology...come on). I'm glad I saw it and I think it's a film everyone should see once, but when it comes to films with naturalistic dialogue, I think I prefer Linklater's Before trilogy. This surprises even me actually; I thought it'd be the other way around.

I snorted out loud at "nobody is allowed to talk about legalizing weed," hahaha. I'm taking a directors class (we're studying Hitchcock, Fellini, Spielberg, and del Toro) and there's an assignment where you can write about an auteur of your choosing. Apparently they banned everyone from picking Tim Burton in last year's class because he had a history of being too popular of a topic. Weird, I thought it would have been Wes Anderson.

Aw :3 I think I read that when you posted it elsewhere on the forums, or something. Which Pokémon are they, exactly?
    12. Fennel
      Fennel
      (Now you know my pain, lol.)

It's just another word for discussion or analysis of a work's themes or characterization, or often more minor details (for example, why Hermione was sorted in Gryffindor and not Ravenclaw), from what I understand.

I'm the same way when it comes to making friends. You're lucky that you have all your friends from high school with you :p I only have three, and all of them have a 90+ minute long commute to campus, so they're not always around to hang out on weekends. If I have one piece of advice, it's to try and make friends within your program. It seems like a given, but I didn't really do this last year and none of my close friends share either of my majors. Last-minute panicking over essays is much less painful when you have a friend panicking with you.

Hah, don't worry, lots of people are in the same boat. I'm trying to combat this by doing most of my work on campus. Whenever I get home and change into my pyjamas I automatically lose all motivation to do any work.

Sounds intriguing, I'll be sure to check it out. I did go to the library but apparently you have to talk to someone to enter the media commons area and I was feeling too shy at the time x_x Lol. I'll get around to it. I've seen Citizen Kane and Superbad. Knowing of Citizen Kane's reputation made me brace myself for disappointment, but I actually enjoyed it? Like, I anticipated that it would be really dry and slow for modern tastes, but I actually found it pretty compelling. And that was before I learned about its technical mastery when I saw it again in film class. Superbad was pretty good, I like how it starts off raunchy but ends on a heartfelt note. What are the other films like?
    13. Fennel
      Fennel
      Part 2

Haha, your review was spot-on. When I watched it, I was really caught up in all the fiery speeches, the cinematography (this shot - swoon), the sizzling score -- but months later, I'm still confused as to whether all of it actually adds up to anything. I just find it utterly confounding. Is it condemning low art (which it seems to equate with superhero films and other blockbusters)? Is it condemning so-called high art (which Emma Stone's speech seems to be doing)? Is it saying that some of the "high art" out there is really just flashy, meaningless style-over-substance silliness? (Which the success of Riggan's play seems to imply.) If so, is there a meta component to this, seeing as real life critics (a minority, but a vocal one) have blasted Birdman for the same thing? Is it condemning critics? People like Riggan? Technology? And what to make of the ending? To put it crudely, I can't tell whether it's a fake deep film masquerading as a real deep one or the other way around. González Iñárritu must be either a genius, a pretentious hack, or the greatest troll ever. Maybe all three. I truly can't tell. In any case, I'm glad I watched it.

Oh yeah, for sure. What do you do in your Speech Com class?

EV training has gotten a LOT easier in Generation VI, so if you ever want to start, now is a great time (by easier I literally mean about 5 minutes for each stat). It really does make a noticeable difference. IVs, on the other hand...well, IV breeding has also gotten a lot easier, but I understand if players don't wanna get into that, it's a bit trickier to grasp. Myself, I have never understood RNG abuse. Which Pokémon have you been using lately?
    14. Fennel
      Fennel
      (I had a whole message typed out and then accidentally refreshed the page. *collapses* Okay, let's do this again.)

Here's the "harry potter meta" tag on tumblr for a general idea.

I can't drive either, haha. Yet my 17 year old sister can...I should probably get on that. I feel you on the social life thing; during my first year I did make a few new friends, but mostly I just hung out with people I knew from high school. I think it'll be easier this year though now that my classes are smaller. And 3 AM? :p Psh, try 6 or 7 AM (actually, please don't). That's good though, you'll thank yourself once it starts getting really busy.

We didn't have that exactly, but I took AP classes which are kind of similar, I guess? I had half-credit for an English course by the time I graduated. And a human geography credit, but it turned out that my university doesn't recognize/accept those x_x Should have looked that up beforehand. I found that there were fewer things on my plate at any one time during my first year than in high school, but that the expectations for each assignment were a lot higher. Or maybe I only thought that because I half-assed so many things in high school.

Oh shit, it didn't even occur to me to check out my school's libraries for movies! Thanks. Neon Genesis Evangelion is something that's been on my ever-growing watchlist for a while. Anything weird and psychological and only 26 episodes long is going to pique my interest.
    15. Fennel
      Fennel
      Part 2

I know exactly what you mean. I find it a really interesting topic, actually; I should go out and seek essays on this sort of thing.

Oh yeah, I definitely felt that creep up on me during my playthroughs of Y and Omega Ruby. Don't get me wrong, I still think they're fantastic on a technical level in many ways (Omega Ruby especially) but I've become more aware of how often I spend the game just grinding and moving from location to location in a linear pattern. Now that I'm older my focus has shifted to the updated game mechanics. The Battle Maison is a lot of fun (I'm still ridiculously pissed that the Battle Frontier wasn't included in ORAS though) and even though I hear some people say that thinking about EVs and IVs and all that stuff makes your Pokémon feel like tools, I've actually experienced the opposite and gained a new appreciation for my pokes.
    16. Fennel
      Fennel
      Hahaha, I'm glad you like it at least. Who knows, I'm sure there's a lot of meta out there that might open your eyes to something you haven't noticed before.

Oh wow, time flies by. :p Are you living on campus, just off-campus, or commuting from home? Because if it's one of the first two, take advantage of that! Figure out where your classes are ahead of time (assuming you're still on frosh week) and just explore the campus if you haven't already. If you're interested in joining clubs, it's better to pick one or two clubs and get really invested in those, than to join a million different ones and end up only going to meetings sporadically. Get at least one person's number in every class so that if you miss a class, you can ask them for notes. And try and maintain at least a decent sleep schedule (I know, I know) Trust me. 8 am and 9 am classes will be soul-crushing if you're running on three hours of sleep. That's all I have for now, but I can try to answer any questions you have.

You'll be fine, just take it one day at a time. c: How has it been so far? Are you attending orientation week, or did your classes actually start this week?

Game of Thrones doesn't really pick up until episode 6 or so, but I know how annoying it is for people to hear that ("It gets better!!! Trust me!!"), haha. We all get to choose how we spend our free time. And you got around to watching Birdman? What are your thoughts on it? It's been on my mind a lot lately. I haven't watched a lot of movies this summer unfortunately (you can see everything I've watched so far this year on my Letterboxd account), in part thanks to my summer job. I was working the graveyard shift a lot, and afterward I would go home and pass out for like 12 hours, lol. The job paid quite well though, so I'm not complaining.
    17. Fennel
      Fennel
      (I'm still alive, I swear! If you have Skype and are comfortable with giving it out I can add you and we can talk there, if you want. I'm much more active there. :p)

Did you end up getting Majora's Mask 3D?

I still need to see Mean Creek, I've heard good things about it. As for whether my local theatre shows smaller movies -- not exactly. I was living in downtown Toronto for school when I sent that message so to get anywhere I had to walk. I don't miss the cold weather right now, haha. How has your summer been going so far? Or are you back at school already? And have you seen any good movies lately?

Ugh, I feel you on that thing with media and violence. I like Game of Thrones a lot, but the increasing number of "shocking" deaths and scenes of sexual violence in the latest season left a horrible taste in my mouth. Yes, I know, it's Game of Thrones, but those scenes weren't handled in a way that served the plot/themes/characterization well at all IMO. It's become quite a touchy subject in the fandom. Glad to see someone feels the same way. And yeah, I know what you mean about Pokémon's "fake difficulty," and that whole sense of impatience over having to grind levels being mistaken for actual challenge.
    18. Prez
      Prez
      I high key cringed upon seeing this picture again, but at least I found it! Here it is. It's an early remnant of me beginning to draw, but I hope you enjoy, haha.
    19. Prez
      Prez
      Oh wow.... that picture has to be at least two years old! I'll see if I can do some digging around; I'm sure I can find it.
    20. TheCapsFan
      TheCapsFan
      Yeah, that's pretty negative.... I've learned at least with some stuff, if you just don't care about it and just do it, it turns out fine in the end. :I but I guess that wouldn't work in this scenario...oh well, time to find other tactics.
  • About

Birthday:
    Mar 28, 1997 (Age: 21)
    Favorite Pokémon Type:
    Dark
    I recently got super deep into Shin Megami Tensei and it has left me unable to look back at Pokemon the same way. I still love this place because it's full of nice people and I never talked much about Pokemon anyway! If you want to watch what happens when someone takes a video game franchise too seriously, ask me who I Social Linked and why.

Signature

[​IMG]