Cap'n Jack
Local time
6:56 PM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• (A thrilling trilogy.)

It's been great so far! A shit-ton of essays, but I've managed. I finished all my midterms and now I'm just chilling on campus downtown until the break starts.

Ah, I still haven't seen Boyhood. I really wanted to see it on the big screen, but it's only playing at a few obscure theatres downtown at this point and I don't think I'll have time to see it before the break starts. :( That's fantastic to hear, especially about the themes. I know a lot of people don't click with Linklater's Before trilogy, writing them off as films about two privileged people yapping about nothing, but I'm definitely not in that boat. Hopefully I'll grasp whatever Boyhood tries to tell us and I'll keep what you said in mind when I see it. I think you can expect good things for it during the Oscars; it's the current frontrunner for Best Picture along with Birdman. Speaking of Birdman, I saw it last night -- and wow. Holy shit. I loved it. Like Boyhood, you can't fault it for lack of ambition. Most of the film was shot and edited to look like one long take, and it's not just a gimmick either, although the reason why might not be apparent until later in the film. I actually find the film hard to describe in words. I guess it reminds me vaguely of Black Swan, if Black Swan was a black comedy with elements of metafiction. But that's not really an apt comparison either; the whole thing is truly bizarre and just has to be experienced. At times the script gets a little too clever and self-indulgent for its own good and the characterization for the most part left me cold, but those are my only criticisms. Everything else left me in complete awe. I feel like it's one of those films you admire more than you actually enjoy (although it is very, very much entertaining), but boy do I admire it.
    Hey, I'm back :p Once again, I'm sorry for disappearing so frequently. Anyway, my first semester of university is DONE! I have a three week break now.

Did you end up seeing Godzilla? That sounds really fascinating, actually, I should get a move on and see the 1954 original. There are a whole lot of movies I want to see now that awards season is here...Nightcrawler, Birdman, Interstellar...

Aw, that sounds great. I went and bought Omega Ruby and also White 2 (which I never got at its time of release). Playing through Omega Ruby is such a nostalgic experience seeing as my first game was Emerald. Actually, I kind of wish they incorporated more features from Emerald into the game, namely the

but hey, they were marketed as R/S remakes after all.

I still haven't seen Boyhood...I know I'm going to regret not seeing it in theatres.

I went to Orlando for Disney World like the shameless tourist I was.
    It won't get that far. I'm praying it doesn't. Both North and South Florida would become equally terrible in very different ways.
    Officials want South Florida to break off into its own state - Sun Sentinel

pls no
    RE: the post quote: The song I was speaking of appears as part of the Software Records reissue of "Rifts," a big retrospective spanning his early career. It's chock full of beautiful analogue synth compositions, (The title track of "Betrayed In The Octagon" is my favorite of the bunch) and contains a few early instances of elements he'd later adopt as part of his style. I'd recommend it the most; it's not that his other works aren't good, it's just that they sound very little like it.
    I'll side with you on that. Extremity is best when it's to an end besides itself, or as part of something greater than itself. And besides, it doesn't always have to mean "loud and discordant."
    I'm holding out on "...On The Moon" myself until Harvest coughs up the rest of the double-album, but in the meantime, I'm torn between "Money Store" and "No Love Deep Web", though all their albums have some kind of charm unique to themselves.
    And yea, I don't like that they split up out of nowhere, but their reasons were sound, if a little pretentious. And on the bright side, it means Oneohtrix Point Never (another artist I enjoy) is opening for NIN and Soundgarden in their current tour. I'd say good on him, he could use the exposure.
    I never saw the parody angle of the bunch, though going by their videos (and some of their artwork) I can see why the comparison was drawn between them and Spinal Tap.
    Even back when I was in high school, I had a soft spot for musicians who dealt in extremes, and this trio of misfits more than fits the bill: Flatlander, who managed to merge some of the weirdest affairs into hip-hop without it sounding shoehorned in, Zach Hill, known for playing so hard he'd damage himself or the body of his drums, and MC Ride, who's more than willing to suffer for his *cough* art.
    Anyway, do you have a favorite album? Are you looking forward to the new stuff?
    Part 2

LOL, Pokémon is the only game I have for my 3DS too. Still worth it. Sadly, my experience with Sonic the Hedgehog is limited to terrible crossover fanfiction. :p

It's apparently one of the highest rated movies on RT and Metacritic ever. I haven't watched any Linklater besides his Before trilogy (Before Sunrise, etc.) and School of Rock (lol) but from what I've seen, I'm excited for this. The "time capsule" feeling you describe is actually a common praise for Boyhood, actually, that it really does capture the era our generation grew up in.
    I'm looking up information on the 7-Up series right now and the premise is fascinating. I'll probably get around to checking it out one day.

It's true. :p I went a few weeks before the start of a hurricane, though, so it rained almost the entire time.
    (You have summer homework? I'll pray for you everyday, man...
    Oh, I can't say enough good things about Game of Thrones. Story, writing, acting, production design...it's all pretty top-notch. The fictional world is very fleshed out and there are so many interesting characters and storylines (though it rarely gets confusing or muddled) to get hooked onto. Different people will find different aspects of particular interest: the political intrigue, the character arcs and relationships, the themes of loyalty and corruption and all that good stuff. Plus there's nudity. A lot of it. (Admittedly pretty gratuitous, but it's toned down by season two.) I really recommend giving at least the first season a chance. There are 40 one-hour episodes so far, but the next season doesn't come out until spring, so there's a lot of time to catch up.)

I did see Godzilla. It wasn't bad. It pretty much delivered what it promised -- lots of smashing, suspense, and really nice special effects. I admired the attempt to write in a story about the humans, but honestly, Aaron Taylor Johnson's character (can't even remember his name) was such a bland hero. Minor spoilers:

I found myself wanting to skip past every scene he was in and get to the monster fighting. Plus the fact that Aaron Taylor Johnson had like 2 facial expressions didn't help. Nothing against the guy, he was great in Kick-Ass, it's just this particular performance.

(Speaking of movies, it's been a few hours, but I'm still in shock over Robin Williams' death...:( Who could have seen it coming.)

Ohh, I see. I always thought Pokémon Snap looked cute, actually. I think I must be one of 10 people on this planet who actually liked Pokémon Dash, as lazy as it was. Now that's one game that's not usually talked about. I wasn't very good at it, though...
    (Has it really been 3 months since my last message? Sorry for disappearing, I guess my Pokémon obsession went on hiatus after I got into Game of Thrones. :p How's your summer going?)

Is it just me, or does this summer not look like a good one for movies so far? Sure, there are a few exceptions, but a lot more "meh" ones or outright stinkers (Transformers, Sex Tape, Planes, etc.). I find it kind of amusing how Hercules has a higher RT rating than Lucy.

I-I've never played Pokémon Snap. Never had a N64. D: Guess I missed out.

Did you end up finding your 2DS?

I've only seen maybe four or five movies this year in theatres. I kind of want to see Boyhood, that premise looks interesting.

LOL. Yeah, I like the outdoors experience, but I think I've gotten kind of sick of camping. The insufferable heat (okay, I probably shouldn't complain, I'm not the one living in Florida...) and long setups give me a headache just thinking about it.
    Yeah it's pretty good, got around a week ago. First metal album I've bought this decade XD
    hey bud,

That Deafheaven album is fucking amazing, I'm about 30 minutes in.
    Yeah, I've heard that Cars 2 isn't actually THAT bad, it just falls short of everyone's ridiculously high expectations. All I know about the Despicable Me films is that one of the characters shares my name (Agnes) :p Oh, and apparently they're making a sequel to The Incredibles now. It's about time!

I've heard a lot about him. Sounds like an interesting premise, I should check it out.

Yeah, I'd much rather see them do something new with the Pokémon we already have than get a new batch every single time. I wouldn't mind seeing some Mystery Dungeon- and Ranger-quality spin-offs soon either.

It's pretty disappointing, you'd think they'd be a staple by now. I really want to see another Battle Frontier as well, like the one from Emerald. All the battle facilities had pretty cool concepts, and I think it would be fun with the new battle mechanics. (Get rid of the Toxic/Double Team/Seismic Toss/Softboiled Blissey though, that thing was a nightmare to beat...)

The Lego Movie was great. :D It's funny and fun to look at and doesn't take itself too seriously. I won't spoil it for you in case you still haven't seen it, but Morgan Freeman's character has one particularly hilarious moment.

Yeah, I did have spring break. Only it's called March break here, no idea why. Maybe because it still seems like mid-winter around that time. Even as I look out the window right now, I can still see lumps of muddy snow on the ground. That's Canada for you...And that sounds fun. Have you been camping before? I'm no stranger to it, since my parents are obsessed.
    I left a note to myself tomorrow to get back to you on your birthday.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom