• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Recent content by Lightning Energy

1. Lightning Energy

On the Origin of Species: Cyndaquil, Quilava, and Typhlosion

Part of the reason I love writing this column – other than my obvious love for the Pokémon series – is my amateur enthusiasm for biology. As Ian Malcolm said in Jurassic Park, “life finds a way”, and after 4.3 billion years, life has certainly settled into thousands upon thousands of niches...
  2. Lightning Energy

On the Origin of Species: Remoraid & Octillery

Sometimes a Pokémon’s inspiration is straightforward. One glance at Pidove, for example, easily shows it’s meant to be a pigeon. Others are slightly obtuse: Mightyena seems like it’s a wolf, but it’s based off a hyena. Then you have Pokémon where their origins aren’t very clear. Today’s...
  3. Lightning Energy

On the Origin of Species: Rowlet, Dartrix, and Decidueye

People end up liking a Pokémon for a variety of reasons. It could be due to how well the Pokémon performs in battle, particularly what types it has or what moves it learns. Generally, though, Pokémon become popular because of their design. A Pokémon’s physical appearance is the very first...
  4. Lightning Energy

On the Origin of Species: Tyrunt & Tyrantrum

Few creatures maintain a hold on impressionable imaginations as the dinosaurs. After first appearing around 230 million years ago, they became the dominant lifeform on Earth, evolving into a menagerie of sizes and designs. Ever since the discovery of a nearly complete Hadrosaurus fossil in 1858...
  5. Lightning Energy

On the Origin of Species: Oshawott, Dewott, and Samurott

I’ve enjoyed every main series Pokémon game I’ve played, but if I had to choose, Pokémon Black & White would be my absolute favorites. I’m still awed by how Game Freak pushed the Nintendo DS to its limits, providing us with beautiful environments: Castelia City’s towering skyscrapers, Unova’s...
  6. Lightning Energy

On the Origin of Species: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, and Venusaur

Yes, there are other articles coming for Origin of Species! I'm not sure what the timeline will be, though.
  7. Lightning Energy

On the Origin of Species: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, and Venusaur

Some of the most iconic Pokémon are the ones you receive from the Professor at the beginning of the game. Known as “Starter Pokémon”, they are a beginning Trainer’s first partner that often sticks with them throughout their journey. Each generation’s starters are marketed intensely during that...
  8. Lightning Energy

Ranked Battles Series 9 Regulations Announced

The Pokémon Company International (TPCi) has released the new ruleset for competitive battles. These Series 9 rules will be standard for all competitions, including Ranked Battles, Players Cup events, and the Championship series, taking effect as of May 1st, 2021. These Series 9 rules are the...
  9. Lightning Energy

2020 Pokémon World Championships Delayed to 2022

Citing guidelines set by the World Health Organization, Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, and other national health authorities, The Pokémon Company International (TPCi) have announced they will be pushing the 2020 Pokémon World Championships back to 2022. The event will still be hosted...
  10. Lightning Energy

Mint Condition Pokémon TCG Base Set Sells for $666K USD

The Pokémon Trading Card Game has reached another price record, the third in only a handful of months, with a complete collection of the original Base Set selling for $666,000 United States Dollars on Goldin Auctions. The set had been professionally graded, and awarded a "PSA GEM-MT 10", or...
  11. Lightning Energy

Uri Geller Allows Nintendo to Return Kadabra to the TCG

Illusionist Uri Geller issued an apology for preventing Kadabra from appearing in the Pokémon Trading Card Game due to a lawsuit he filed in 2000. He has stated that he will now allow Kadabra cards to be printed again. In November 2000, Geller claimed that Kadabra was based on his likeness...
  12. Lightning Energy

Former Rapper Logic Pays $226K for Rare Pokémon Card

Logic performing at Grandoozy in 2018. When the Pokémon Trading Card Game was released in 1999, the cards had little to no value. As Pokémon's popularity surged, so did card prices. Most veteran Pokémon fans can name the most popular -- and expensive -- card from the Base Set expansion...
  13. Lightning Energy

Pokémon Masters EX Hashtag Ought to be Capitalized

Pokémon Masters, the latest mobile game, has received some tune-ups lately. With the addition of Eggs, new Sync Pairs, and new Story Events, it was only fitting that the game's name was adjusted to reflect the additions: Pokémon Masters EX. Naturally, in this age of social media, the official...
  14. Lightning Energy

Japan now has 100 Pokémon manhole covers

After they first began being installed last year, there are now a total of 100 different Pokémon manhole covers in Japan. The newest batch (seen below) are located in Serigaya Park, Machida, Tokyo, being the first of these covers to be located in the metropolitan area. Last year, Japan began...
  15. Lightning Energy

New Pokémon TCG expansion Darkness Ablaze released

Sword & Shield—Darkness Ablaze, the third major expansion in the Sword & Shield series of the Pokémon Trading Card Game, was released on August 14, 2020. It is now available at participating retailers around the world. Sword & Shield—Darkness Ablaze features the debuts of the Legendary Pokémon...
Back
Top Bottom