• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.
Daren
Local time
3:54 AM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I always suspected at some point another monster collector game would come close to Pokémon launch sales, but I sure didn't think it would be Palworld.
    Hola Anoko Dokonoko! Thanks for following me, and keep having fun around the forums!
    Your Halloween trivia this year: There is a court case in the United States where the decision included the phrase "as a matter of law, the house is haunted."
    Look up "Stambovsky V. Ackley".
    Greninjaman
    Greninjaman
    How does one make a house legally haunted? It's not like you can tell ghosts to go haunt the house.
    Daren
    Daren
    @Greninjaman Basically the "haunted" house was sold, and after finding out it was supposedly haunted the buyer wanted the sale reversed. The court initially sided against them but the court of appeals ruled it was haunted "as a matter of law" because the previous owners had widely publicized it as being haunted in newspapers but hadn't disclosed this "fact" while selling it. So they couldn't deny the existence of the ghosts now, and the sale was reversed.
    The realization that Pokémon Z likely died so that Tembo the Elephant could live says a lot, but I'm not entirely sure what that lot is.
    Dreary_Rowlet
    Dreary_Rowlet
    That is.... depressing.
    prog rocker
    prog rocker
    That they would rather do something new even if it fails over selling the same game again with minimal changes?
    Daren
    Daren
    @prog rocker Oh, I don't blame GameFreak for Project Gear (the idea they could make another Pokémon sized hit with comparatively little dev time was perhaps rather naive), but those games really needed more promotion than they got. I don't recall seeing advertising for them until Little Town Hero (and it got sufficiently little I didn't even realize it had been released until fairly recently), and making Tembo instead of Z then seemingly not doing much to make people aware it existed was very strange.
    Well, I'm pretty much finished with Arceus. A few dex entries weren't completed, but I think I've done everything else, up to getting a 50 streak in the endless battle mode.
    I stand by my initial impressions; this is my favourite mainline Pokémon game in a long time, possibly ever.
    Today was a lucky in Legends Arceus; a Cranidos and a large enough Buizel.
    After two days with Legends I'm finding myself wondering how many--if any--of the new gameplay elements will make it into the next generation, because I love most of the improvements but feel like they'd be very controversial if ported over.
    Well, Legends: Arceus is pre-loading as I type. Pre-release information and early reviews have been very encouraging so I'm not too worried.

Not sure when I'll get a chance to play it but I'll probably post something in the early impressions thread.
    I won't say any specific spoilers but I find it hilarious the Legends Arceus leaks are doing a better job at making me interested in the game than the official marketing campaign did.
    So within the last year or so we've gotten two Bidoof themed videos.
    Is there gonna be something Bidoof related in Legends?
    lisianthus
    lisianthus
    I just got a Bidoof-themed email from the Pokémon Company.
    So...maybe a Hisuian form...? IDK, they just seem to really like Bidoof lol
    Reactions: Daren
    WyndonCalling
    WyndonCalling
    They've explained on Twitter that this most recent video was actually originally scheduled for Bidoof Day last year, and then was pushed back to Christmas, and then was pushed back to today - so really, it was initially intended to be a BDSP thing.
    So in the last few days we've got a Dragon Ball take on competitive survival horror MP games AND a mascot platform fighter where Shaggy Rogers can beat up Superman.

It's been a wild ride for gaming news.
    prog rocker
    prog rocker
    Don't forget the Nickelodeon platform fighter. Specially considering Garfield of all characters was found via datamine in the game.
    prog rocker
    prog rocker
    Oh wait. Last few days. Nevermind!
    Tip for ads and trailers made for video games: If you show 0 actual gameplay my imagination is not filling in the blanks with the most favourable possibility.
    I don't think this backlash is really about the Exp. Share, so to speak.

For a while now the games have been slashing features more than they add ones and continuing to ignore what the fanbase requests while the price has simultaneously shot up. The Exp. Share got a decent amount of backlash and unlike something as difficult to add as the Battle Frontier or Dexit fixing it is as simple as putting back in a toggle. That they won't even go to that much effort says a lot.
    colours
    colours
    i feel like the framing of the conversation needs to be re-adjusted, then. if it's about the lack of options, then the focus needs to be more about that, than complaining about exp. share specifically, which is getting pokemon fans dunked on (justifiably, to be honest) and mocked on social media. it just comes off as "lol you really don't play anything other than pokemon do you".

i feel that some people are really actually complaining about the exp share but when pressed for reasons why, they just say "well options are good" which is like, ok fine, but... that's artificial difficulty increase in a game series that's not particularly known to be difficult. i'm not exactly sure what having an option to turn it off would actually accomplish, as it's one of the things that stood out to me when i went back to playing pokemon after playing any other jrpg.
    Daren
    Daren
    Reframing the conversation honestly won't help; people also mocked criticism when the most expensive entries to date removed massive parts of the roster. Some people will simply defend the series from any and all criticism.

The whole "every other RPG does it" argument is weak because the other RPGs do a better job at managing the exp curve.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love if the greater fanbase could get a coherent joint list of all the issues that have been cropping up to pass around instead of hyper focusing on a single minor issue at a time like the tree fiasco.
    Of course then it'll turn into "they're being so demanding" because heaven forbid people think a full price console RPG from the most successful franchise in the world have at least half as much content as similar games on the same system, so honestly those of us dissatisfied with the current direction can't win.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom