FANG-TAN
Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Agreed: you're not alone-- I know a lot of people are sick of TR in general now. Even in the ORG JPN, I don't like how they're handling them either in XY, but like you said the dub just makes them completely unlikeable and detestable these days.

"This is kind of... lost in the anime, where Dark Yuugi just stops doing his 'Mind Crushes' for no apparent reason."

^Ow, my chest. I'm laughing so hard because it's so true!^

I can definitely understand that: to be honest, I'd really like to see that happen one day, but I doubt it'd happen.

Yeah: it sucks, huh? YGO used to be so much more than just cards...now, its whole central focus is on them, which is really sad. I guess we could say the same about Pokemon at this point seeing what the anime has become nowadays in terms of many people just seeing it more as games and less anything else, though. :'(
    LMAO on your thoughts about TR in the dub. I didn't mind them in the 4Kids dub despite their problems, but now I just can't stand them in the TPCi dub in any comedic situations. It's gotten to the point where I would rather just mute them completely instead of listening to them speak! xD.
    That's true, but it was certainly..err...darker than DM in that Yami would just sentence the jerks to punishment games and such and pretty much torture them, which I found awesome in a sadistic sense! That being said, I totally respect your opinion. I liked both, but that's probably because I don't have high standards for YGO in anime form. lol.

Yeah, Jonouchi/Joey was much more of a badass in the manga to say the least based on that comparison between the DM Anime and the manga alone, but I personally don't think too badly of the anime regardless. Yeah, Bakura did have actual presence in the manga, unlike in the anime. True: very true.

Yeah, I thought the JPN OST for the anime was done very well.

I don't mind the English VAs for YGO, but I can see why that would be upsetting to see the dub voices come out of the non-dub chars.
    I have to agree with pretty much everything you said about the script-- even in the ORG JPN, it's been...dumbed down...for lack of a better word and made so much more bland and lifeless. Much like the anime itself, most of the creativity and ingenuity has been sucked dry altogether from it as well, IMO. It then boils down to the voice acting like you said, and TPCi just...yeah. I feel ya: I thought Veronica Taylor was much better for Ash in the English dub-- she never sounded so unenthusiastic, forced, and constipated to me as Ash as Sarah does. Yeah, that just ruins it for me-- it's already boring as it is, but that just makes me head desk and facepalm.

I never believed TPCi was going to keep their promise of keeping all the ORG JPN BGM and the OG Intros/Endings from the JPN Version myself, but I thought at the time maybe I was being too hasty and critical at the time and decided to give them a chance. Needless to say, I'm still a bit pissed and relatively butthurt about them lying to us about that! xD.

Also, what do you think of Team Rocket in the dub being reduced to a bunch of alliteration and assonance loving idiots since DP started in English? xD.
    Also, sorry but I didn't get your second VM until just now, but I feel ya on YGO: I think the Manga did everything better too, as did the infamous Season 0, but I have nothing against Duel Monsters myself: to tell ya the truth, I don't mind how toned down everything was because the show still turned out pretty good for me. I mean, yeah, it was a lot...cornier and more kid friendly, but I don't think it was bad. I still think it was watchable and tolerable, personally.

I'd rank the English dubs of YGO DM as: 1) 4Kids/FUNi YGO Uncut (9 eps) > 2) 4Kids Cut YGO (224 eps) > 3) Odex YGO Uncut (224 eps), but that's just me. lol.
    Me too: I honestly found it too high-pitched and...well...cartoony compared to Chris Sabat's Vegeta voice, personally, which is why I prefer Chris for Vegeta myself. Most of the Ocean fandom will pretty much kill me for saying that and say Sabat sounds constipated as Vegeta and stuff, though. I don't know, I always thought Chris made Vegeta sound more proud, arrogant, and more princely than Brian did myself.

I have NO idea: it's ridiculous! lol.

On that note, I'm curious: what do you think of the TPCi PKMN dub aside from the voice acting? I really think that while we don't have any more paint edits and movie re-writes like we did before, it sucks more overall. My logic being like the 4Kids dub before it, most of the ORG JPN BGM is still replaced with dub BGM (which isn't even as good as the old dub BGM was), we still have Arbok --> Seviper-esque mistakes being made frequently with "That's an Earth type attack," "Following their Tag Battle in Eterna City" (it was in Hearthome City), and Minccino being misspelled "Minncino," so nothing's changed in any of those departments.

Additionally, I've noticed that the script writing is just plain stupid even compared to the 4Kids dub, and now we have *cool speak* Ash who likes to use "O'course...kay," "Nathaniel reminds me o' me," "Ya see/ya know/'kay, right?" as well as "That's a fire type: nice and fiery," along with alliterating/assonance-loving TRio who can't go 2 minutes without rhyming some gibberish I can't understand. Seriously, it gives me a headache trying to figure out what they're even trying to say these days.

The intros/endings...I think I'll let Season 10 and Season 13's English Dub Openings speak for themselves on why I think 4Kids' openings were better for the English dub, and same goes for the instrumentals when the credits are shown at the end of the episode.
    LMAO: I liked his scratchy voice, though! xD.

Chris Sabat's my favorite, though, for the English dub.

It makes them, Big Green, Blue Water, etc. sound like angels. I mean, it's just painful to listen to them talk. Here's a clip to show you what I mean:

[video=youtube;Fi2hIop9e7c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi2hIop9e7c[/video]

I don't mind bad dubs either unless they just grate on me and irritate me to the point where I just get frustrated watching them (e.g. the TPCi Pokemon dub in more ways than one-- the voice acting, intros/endings, and script writing being particularly irritating for me). For example, I prefer the 4Kids dub of YGO to the Odex dub of YGO because the voice acting doesn't irritate me nearly as much and the script writing was a little less...eccentric...than in the Odex dub at times.

(Odex being the Singapore Dub)
    No problem.

Also, don't worry! Those aren't the Ocean Actors, actually: see, that was Roger Rhodes and not Brian Drummond as Vegeta, not Brad Swalie but Scott Roberts as Gohan, etc.

What happened was they were originally going to get the Ocean cast from DBZ's run to dub DB and DBGT into English for Intl. Broadcast, but Blue Water Studios was too cheap to export it to that side of Canada, hence they got this..."acting" as it were. XD.

Tien DOES sound like Yoda in the Big Green Dub, and the powering up scene with Native American Chief Goku and company made me LMAO!

On that note, have you heard of the Malaysian Dub? OMG...X_X.
    I don't blame you: I don't think he was bad though, but yeah, it did leave a bitter taste in my mouth as well when they found that out.

I agree completely: oh, thank god! If we had Dale D. Kelly-esque Season 3 FUNi dub crap again, I would bash my head against the wall repeatedly...god, that sucked.

Chris Ayres? Yeah, he ROCKS as Frieza--has that perfect balance of regality, assholiness, and pure evil in his voice and delivery. Honestly, I think he was much better than Linda Young was here-- I actually grew up with her and Pauline Newstone's versions of the characters, but I have to admit both sounded more like evil grandmother(s) than villains, tbh.

Well, the Blue Water dub is different, actually, but they are both "so bad, it's good" for me. This is the Blue Water dub of DBGT, for instance:

[video=youtube;-75BwCSmOxk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-75BwCSmOxk[/video]

*Side Note: They also dubbed DB for Canadian/Intl. Audiences as well, but their DB dub was better than their DBGT dub, IMO.*

3:46: "AWHHWAHAHA...it's BIG GREEN!" LOL...Gohan sounds like an animal there when yelling!

Highlight of the video for me:

"LET THAT CHILD ALONE!" -- "Big Green" aka Piccolo

XD.
    Yeah, I also agree with that regarding the DBZ Kai dub being one of the only good English dubs of DB related media.

My favorite is personally the English dub of the Original Dragonball: I actually really liked Stephanie Nadolny as Kid Goku for some reason in particular out of all the English dub voices. I had my doubts given how her Gohan was, but she really proved herself in my eyes.
    Agreed: I personally think Mega Lucario looks like an overdesigned POS myself...xD.

Probably the latter, but I still prefer the OS-DP Toriyama eyes as well: I'm able to take him seriously when I need to be able to, but also comedically.

Agreed: I thought it was a bit rushed myself. I still enjoyed it, but it definitely had its problems, like the ones you mentioned. Must be-- I actually did like Kenji Yamamoto's BGM tracks myself, even if I knew (and they later found out) he was just ripping off other music artists and so they switched back to using the Shunsuke Kikuchi BGM rather erratically and sporadically as opposed to how it was used in Z so fittingly and appropriately like you said.

This was one of the tracks I liked from DBZ Kai: [video=youtube;2RprbIlL31Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RprbIlL31Q&list=RDIOMfnmsL7iw[/video]
    Whoa...you're right! o_O

Even Mega Mewtwo Y (my name for it is BuuTwo) looks awesome in the old art style, and that's saying something!

Same here-- I still don't like Ash's Brown Eyes. They look silly on him, and I can't take him seriously anymore with those-- he looks so goofy now! The XY eyes are an improvement over the BW eyes considering they're not as huge now and have been slimmed down a bit, but I still look and go, "Nope: that's not right."

Agreed: on that note, I kinda wish DBZ Kai was animated in the same style as the intro etc. were rather than the old Z footage with some animation updates here and there, tbh. IKR: that WOULD be epic!
    Me too: it looks so...simplistic and childish in design compared to how epic and badass it used to look.

It IS lame. They don't even try anymore: same here-- THAT was cool.

IKR? It's a real shame, too.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom