• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.
Galactic_V
Local time
10:36 PM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I know that you've mentioned on being some Japanese forums in the past. I kinda wanna try some out (gotta make sure to use 敬語, or at least polite Japanese though w), do you know of any about Pokémon? Other ones are OK too ofc!
    Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    I used to chat a little at pixiv years ago, especially in a group dedicated to Pokemon fanarts. Remember asking why they thought Rougela had that old design, resembling blackface, and two people basically repeated what others said on Bulba and other English-speaking forums. But it's somewhat tough to chat in those places, you're usually ignored or receive very few responses (when your level is not that good). It's way harder trying to chat with Japanese people than with Westerners lol
    最近、お元気ですか?なんか最近ガラクティックさんはフシギフォーラムで見ないね。
    lisianthus
    lisianthus
    Okay, so my family watched the final episode!
    And now I'm back from my absence from here. Sorry to keep you waiting!
    I was shocked to see Xander get no votes. I think he played such a strong game (the idol swap thingy was ballsy, as was not playing an idol until he needed to), but I do understand why Erika won, she was a good sleeper candidate. TBH if they didn't get Ricard out he would have easily won.
    And hey, congrats to a Canadian winner!!
    I don't really remember which seasons I've watched. I know I've watched ever since I was little but I couldn't really tell you the names of the seasons. I think I've watched at least the past 3 or 4 seasons...
    Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    Sorry for the wait too, I've been watching tons of anime lately, after so long. Kinda feeling like TacticianKarina xD

When I started watching Survivor last year I couldn't really understand some of the votes or why certain people were voted out when it didn't seem so, and seeing some fan videos later I understood that a lot of deciding moments are cut to build doubt (they call this the edit). Xander not winning was sorta expected since they stopped trying to get him out (or flush his idol) a couple of episodes after the merge, and ponderosa\interviews of eliminated players revealed that no one really respected his game. Erika was severely underedited, she barely did anything on-screen iirc, so for me it came out as a surprise her victory, I really thought Deshawn was gonna win. Anyway yeah, Shan and Ricard were the biggest threats, and they all knew it, that's why they were both voted out as soon as the opportunity came.

Oh, and the participants of season 42 have been revealed and, sadly, Jyo is not among them. The season is not called All-Stars plus Jyo either, unfortunately xD

Btw no need to congratulate me, I'm not Canadian lol Tbh I'm not even sure when I'll go back there. I really think and feel that I'll return eventually, but it might not be so soon.

And the Amazing Race premiered a few days ago. I have the episode downloaded but haven't watched it yet. I'm not a big fan of this reality, but I'll see how is this season.
    lisianthus
    lisianthus
    Don't worry! I'm glad you're having fun doing what you want!

I actually never really knew that they cut it so much. I guess that just explains the truth that reality TV isn't exactly "real" heh.
    I feel like Deshawn had the chance to win but he was very erratic (like with the Truth Bomb, I was convinced he was getting voted out after he did that), so it didn't work out much in his favor.
    The guy "JD" from the start of the season reminded me of Sonic the Hedgehog oddly enough. His love of running/track and confidence/swagger made me think that lol.
    Man Jyo totally should've gotten in wwww, I would have laughed so hard
    Well I know that you're not Canadian but just in case you have any sorta attachment to the place, you know. Do what you love and be where you wanna be!!
    Ahh my parents have been talking about it--they're excited that it's coming back. We recorded it but haven't seen it quite yet.
    • Whaaaat
    Reactions: Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    Where did you get the "Takoyaki is a well-known\famous member of Bulbagarden" part, or "for this reason he likes the USA"? xD You altered that post on purpose right? xD Anyway this user joined Bulba on my birthday lol

Funny adaption btw, I just think that 「ライクススコア」sounds kinda weird, in forums they usually go for 「いい」as a translation for "Like". I left it as-is with "Hannon Score" (even though the 'hannon' part I got from a dictionary, not sure if that's entirely accurate)
    lisianthus
    lisianthus
    Happy late birthday almost 6 months ago!
    I used well-known because I couldn't think of a good translation for "what they are know for", so it sounds kinda strange.
    The USA part was on purpose.
    Got it, you'd know better about forum language than me!
    Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    Don't be so sure, I'm really rusty on Japanese lol I can see you study it, and take classes, maybe you have already surpassed me. Tbh I'm going back to read manga and watch videos just now!

I translated the "Known for", which is the title of the thread and pretty much a catchphrase in that game, quite literally. I'd try to do that post as

「アメリカ文化が大好きかどうかはアメリカ人であると知られます」

"Known for" would become 「・・・と知られます」. Gotta say I'm not entirely sure if that's the correct form, but I'm assuming it is.
    Just curious but why'd you assume I made a joke? I always use the characters first name, well, first then last name lol. (and I know what ecchi is too, but I wasn't even trying to be funny)
    Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    No, it wasn't really that easy lol I had to do an 8-page report that took me over a week to finish lol I had to pick 8 French speaking countries and talk about them lol Other than that there was a presentation that was nerve-wracking due to my shyness. And guess what, I was the first one due to my last name starting in A xD (okay, not last name since I've got 3 family names, but in here they used all my family names as a single last name), which's pretty funny since in Brazil I was always at the bottom of the attendance list (over there it's counted by your first name - another hint towards my real name!) Well, I did ace the tests though.

Idk, if I were you I'd concentrate on Japanese first lol Since you enjoy watching anime so much, imagine not needing subs anymore? Imagine reading manga in their original form, and understanding everything the author is trying to present (since a bunch of things tend to get lost in adaptions)? Getting all references? Etc...

Talking about the start of the pandemic, you don't know how lucky I was lol I went back to Brazil in December 2019 to spend a month with my family and friends (it was my winter break), and I had to come back to Canada in mid-January for the winter term, right? I just came back this early due to school, otherwise I'd stayed more in my homecountry. Well, the pandemic hit a little over a month later! If I had stayed more as I wanted, I probably wouldn't be able to come back here anytime soon xD Anyway, well at least you got to visit Italia, where did you go exactly? Where're your family from in Italy? South, north, center? And I have relatives who met my distant cousins in Tento, you know those guys you know that exist but you've never seen them, or even heard of them? Those relatives even visited their home, it's on a small village in Trentino. Well, like myself, you'll still have your time lol Even my father, who's not an Italian descendant, have been there already.

Anyway, you mentioned you have OCs. Do you write stories as well? And is there a chance one of them might pop up into your avatar pic someday? xD
    Tactician Karina
    Tactician Karina
    Oh wow 8 pages? I think the most I had to do for a report was 5-6 pages, and I can definitely understand being nervous for the presentation, I used to have (and hate) that as well. I'd rather just get it over with than having to wait for my last name to be called (my last name starts with a M), it made it worse for me lol. At least you passed though! (also 3 family names?! that's pretty cool)

Oh yeah I definitely want to continue Japanese first, I don't think I can handle learning German alongside it lol. But yes it would be nice to watch anime without subs, I do that occasionally for practice but never through the whole series. And reading manga in it's original format would be a dream! (especially so I don't have to go through hoops just to find either a shoddy English fan translation or none at all for some manga)

Yeah that is lucky! My parents were supposed to go visit my dad's side of the family until the pandemic hit, needless to say they weren't happy after lockdown came. We went to Milan since most of my mom's family are from there, she's sometimes gotten jokes on why she married my dad cause he's from South Italy (he and his family are from Sorrento) but they love him all the same.

I occasionally do write out stories yes. Some of them I take inspiration from fantasy games I played or shows I've watched, and connect them to my characters when I draw them out. I have been playing with the idea of using one of them as an avatar, but it's hard which on which character I could use lol.
    Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    Okay, I'm not a 100% sure whether it was 8 pages indeed, from what I remember it must've been around it xD (it was nearly 3 years ago) But, as I said, I had an easier time preparing this report than doing the presentation (imagine, you're already really shy, the kind that prefer to stay quiet and just listen in a group's conversation, and you have to present an assignment in front of a whole class and teacher in a language you aren't 100% dominant. The lucky part is that I was not the only one not born in Canada and that the first tongue is not English over there lol). Also, I imagine your last name to be Italian. I come from a city that's known to have 90% of its inhabitants being of Italian heritage, I bet I could guess your last name by trials and errors lol And yeah, I've got both my mother's and father's last names, it's a pretty common thing to give your child both your parents' family names in Brazil (with your mother's one coming first). Here my name is considered really long, but over there it was just average. I've had a really close friend in elementary school whose full name is George Miguel Thisoteine Caldeira Menezes Freitas for instance.

Speaking about reading manga, let's say I've got over a hundred issues to finish xDDDDD It's been a few months ever since I've read a single one, and I purchased a bunch of them out of Japanese Amazon before the pandemic. I was following Fairy Tail, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha, Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, Shingeki no Kyojin, Glass Mask (physical copies, basically a whole bookcase with them) and Rave and Shaman King (digital copies). Thing is, reading in Japanese is VERY tiring. Finishing a single chapter of Rurouni Kenshin, for eg, is always a challenge since it's filled with text bubbles and long explanations.

Oh yeah, I heard about how north Italy and south Italy have somewhat of a rivarly. Actually that's pretty common, we have this here with French and English Canada, or Brazil with the whole Sao Paulo vs Rio de Janeiro thing. But I heard Milan is a beautiful city. My parents went there too a few years ago.

About your stories, you don't intend to do something bigger with them, right? I do intend to do something very big with mine in the future (not sure what yet, maybe an anime-like show?), my dream would be to see my characters and stories becoming popular and my stories receiving wiki entries and fan theories (that'd be the most fun since they're mostly about mystery and murder). Why don't you use all of them? I mean, I noticed you change avatar at least once a day, so maybe you could do the same with your OCs? Or if you're hesitant toward other people's opinions, you could always show me first. Don't worry, I'm not saying anything mean or discouraging, I'm not this kind of person.
    This is extremely sudden, but I figured that I should ask you.
    My sensei just lent me some stuff for summer break (to study over the break basically). There's a kanji list for AP Japanese (college level in high school, but she doesn't expect me to memorize it over the summer xD, especially because there are 461 kanji), and the complete vocab for Japanese 2 next year.
    She also let me pick out a few books too (I chose two on kanji and two about literature).
    All in all, it was super kind of her to do so!
    What I wanted to ask you is, how do you recommend I study over this summer? I think I want to focus mostly on kanji, so I think I'll make and review flashcards, at least, but I do want to know what you'd recommend, because you've self-studied for so many years. I really look up to your skills, thanks for being really kind to me and supportive of my goals!
    Thank you for your help, and apologies for the bother!
    Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    It's okay, if you've got more questions you can ask me just fine.

Alright, I've never been the study type, so I really don't know which is the best way, but about languages I've always learned best by having fun. The post translations I do here, for eg. Some of them are tough, and sometimes I'm not completely sure whether what I wrote is right or not, but it's still a way of studying. I started to really invest in Japanese in 2014 (I knew katakana and hiragana before that, I learned them in 8th grade while self-studying), by then I had purchased a few manga to read and I had started playing Danganronpa (the game that forced me into hardcore learning since it's a visual novel filled with texts with no furigana whatsoever), in a year I was much better already.

Another thing that helped me was my own fanfics\projects. Back in 2015 I planned to create a Danganronpa fan game with my own characters in full Japanese (don't ask me how since I can't code xD), this also forced me into looking hard into how to develop how each character'd speak. Basically I had big motivations and that's what aided me the most in seeking the learning process.

And that's exacttly how I learned English too. Like you know, my native language is Portuguese, and as far as the mandatory English primary school teaching goes, you don't leave high school speaking fluently (heck, not even being able to read a book), thus I'd always seek fun games or ways to help me become really good. Translating what people say in my head, writing the joke the teacher just told on my notebook during class, creating new nicknames for people with nicknames lol (That was the funniest, calling one of my former teachers "Haggy" (only in my mind, of course xD)). By your age I could watch a Pokemon episode in English and understand 80% of it because of it, and in high school I could read entire books already.

I believe that's my advice, you should learn a new language mostly by having fun. It's what I've done my entire life lol
    lisianthus
    lisianthus
    Thank you for the help!!!
    I have a visual novels on my Switch that I've played through a few times, and I can switch from English to Japanese on it, so I think that would be a good thing to play through!
    Additionally, I also have the ISOs of the PSP version of Danganronpa in both English and Japanese (been meaning to play it sometime on my Switch), so maybe I'll do it just like you xD
    Reading manga is hard sometimes, but I've found a funny series that's a bit higher than my level, Yotsubato, and I think I've learned a bit from it.
    Thanks again for the advice!
    Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    If you're playing DR, I strongly recommend you play it in Japanese only. Really, the English adaption is awful imo. While in the JP version all characters are called by their last names, the adaptation decided to screw it and now they call themselves by their first names lol A lot of jokes are lost, a bunch is made up and they rarely work, etc... Monokuma has a terrible voice, and his trademark laugh (upupupupu) is lost, etc... xD

I got in some fights in a few fandoms a few years ago because while I called certain characters as Naegi, Kirigiri, Komaeda, etc..., they'd call them Makoto, Kyoko, Nagito, etc... lol

But yeah, that's how it works. With manga is a little different since you're only reading, so it can be either very easy or tedious. For me reading something like Fairy Tail is generally easy for me, but something as Rurouni Kenshin can be pretty tough sometimes (some characters speak in old Japanese and it's got to many text bubbles).

Btw, I have a few other translated posts but I'm sending you in private, since some of them're from people I don't really know and they might get mad lol
    I know who all the others are but who's Niaiking? Is Nidoking?
    Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    What if I told you for me it used to be the other way around. I mean, I've read other guys saying how they have an easier time drawing guys, and girls saying similar stuff (for drawing girls), and well it was like that for me too. I remember that when I stopped doing Total Drama style and went full-on anime, I had difficulty doing girls (didn't really know how to add curves, their body'd come too rounded or too flat, etc etc). Took a while to learn the right proportions. And that's the case, I got so used in drawing girls all this time that when I went back to guys (mostly hero ones), I don't really know how to do them anymore xD (Btw I really wanna know how you draw, and your level)

Oh, and last but not least, when I said you're old in the ban thread that was ironic since I'm actually a few years older than you xD (only a few, I'm not stating my age here but I assure it's below 30).
    EternalPokéFanGirl
    EternalPokéFanGirl
    Hello, sorry for the delay, my internet isn't very reliable, this is what happens when you have more than two chats :ROFLMAO:, I will continue our conversation chat but I hope you're not in a hurry. That story is very interesting, muscle memory can be very treacherous. I'm actually out of practice, I don't think I'll post a character made by me here, sorry but I'm very shy with that :X3:, but maybe one day I will use as an avatar a fanart made by me, but I don't think that will be soon :LOL:. You're not missing much, I don't have that much level, maybe medium.

About your age, I really don't see the problem with saying it here, believe me, no one will show up at your door for that :ROFLMAO:, but I calculate that you are 28 years old, since you said that you are a few years older than me, but not over 30.
    Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    Well, you almost got my age right, only missed by a month (I'll be 28 in June xD). And about shyness, I really get that. To tell the truth, I have no problem showing my stuff as long as no one is nearby to say anything about it. For eg, I'm okay using them as avatars or signatures but I'm not okay presenting them to a teacher or classroom or mom and dad, or anything else xD My mom always complain that I don't show her my things and I have always to explain that it's not something easy for me to do, etc... Anyway I wouldn't say anything mean or harsh about your things if you showed me (or to anyone else in that regard), I'm not that kind of person to be honest, I've read really mean comments when I was starting and it's not something nice to do.

And about answering, don't worry about it. I'm usually fast because I'm feeling rather lonely (another reason I spend so much time here). I'm barely going outside because of the pandemia and the guy who lives with me (a former close friend) is now a jerk who prefers to ignore me than try to work things out (done with venting lol). Btw, he's older than me and is gonna be 30 in July.
    Sorry but who's Aglider? :ROFLMAO:
    EternalPokéFanGirl
    EternalPokéFanGirl
    A private chat sounds good, I won't tell you everything, I guess as a writer you understand that :ROFLMAO:. I would also like to ask you a couple of things, if you want you can create the chat.
    Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    Yeah, sure. I used to discuss ideas with friends in the past all the time, it's fun. I'd like to share a little bit of mine too, like revealing what the Truth Seekers mean (I dropped this question in order to raise doubt and interest, I tend to do that a lot) xD But yeah, since I do intend to do something with them I'll keep it spoiler-free.

Anyway, I have no idea how to create a chat, I've never done it before. Can you do that instead?
    EternalPokéFanGirl
    EternalPokéFanGirl
    Yes, sure. I'll do it right now.
    I agree that some of the Japanese Pokemon names do sound cooler, but not Lycanroc/Lugarugan. Lycanroc is a great combination of a wolf-related word and what type it is. I suppose Lugarugan would make more sense if I knew Japanese, but it just sounds so goofy to me. Iwanko sounds cool, but like more of an individual name than a general name. This is totally random but you've posted after me in the above avatar thread several times and that's just been my thoughts.
    Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    It's okay. I think Lycanroc sounds cool too (and so does Rockruff), Lugarugan sounds common to me, maybe less nice like you said. Actually when I mention about some English names being silly\ridiculous, I mean a couple of Pokemon only. The ones that come to my head instantly are Goomy, Decidueye and Rillaboom. Remember that two of those were what I used?

Anyway I meant them as an exaggerated joke, that's why I chose to highlight the Japanese name and cross the English one, so it'd become more understandable xD
    Chevywolf30
    Chevywolf30
    I've liked hearing some of the Japanese names, it's been neat.
    Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    Thanks xD For me sometimes it's hard keeping with two sets of names at once, especially when posting here in Bulba. I mean, I played the games in English all the way up until Gen V, so I knew all of the names in English by then (and some in Japanese for watching the anime subbed). By Gen VI I switched to Japanese and got to learn both the new and old mon in their original version. It'd be easy keeping with just around 300 names (Gen VI-VIII), right? But when I come to Bulba, people mostly use English names and I have no idea of who or what they're talking about xD Sometimes the names get mixed up in my head as well. That's why I only use them in Japanese.
    Sorry but who's Betbeta? When I look for it on the internet all I get is Beta Pokémon :ROFLMAO:.
    Yume Sekai
    Galactic_V
    Galactic_V
    Yeah, the avatar art is actually a reference to this song. That's the reason I placed it on my custom title.

I really like this ending btw.
    Reactions: Blast
    Regarding Contests in AG, I don't think they were boring, although of course visually the appeals and stuff like that impoved into DP. Most of them still had good battles besides a few (like the ones with skitty/dusclops and eeeve/brock being the worst ones) and they always had funny character interaction between May and her rivals, not just her main two, but all those one-shot coordinators she met in Hoenn.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom