Misfit Angel
Local time
7:58 AM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Heh, I've been doing that a lot myself lately. And well, on absolute sizes, it isn't even non-canon in the games, which give the Magikarp/Remoraid/etc. guys who want to see the largest of them ever.

C10:
    - Nice origin story for Murkrow.
    - Huh, first story I've read with an expert pitcher as a main character who puts those skills to use when throwing balls.

C11:
    - Wow, Storm Island is a hole when it comes to the cops. Haven't they heard what an alibi is? Or is this Phoenix Wright's style of law?
    - And this town in particular. Hey, if you remove the L, you pretty much get what this Grove place is like! :D
    - "Some of us stay here out of necessity, others have no option." <- kind of feels redundant.
    - I'm not sure what I was expecting out of Raven Duskwillow. Certainly not a Russian Native American bear.
    - Hey, you have a beast too! Though, given that it attacked the cultists, I won't be surprised if it turns out to be good.

C11.5:
    - I'm guessing the security footage was in a black box.
    - Calling it: Angelique/Angela slept her way to the top! That or Chaz is with Team Rocket too and/or he had her burn down the restaurant for the insurance money.
    Responses to responses:
    - I didn't say I dislike nicknames altogether, it's just...from a writing standpoint, I feel a lot can be told about a character from whether or not they nickname their Pokemon and if so what they nickname said Pokemon. Are they creative nicknames? Are they more descriptive? Do they have nothing to do with anything? Do they only nickname certain Pokemon? There's many different possibilities. When everybody's doing the same thing though (including not nicknaming), nothing comes of that avenue. Come to think of it though, Pokemon nicknames should be a fun discussion topic to bring up on the boards!
    - Heh, no problem. Though that said, I do feel brute force shouldn't be discounted altogether. It's arguably a general strategy all its own: intending to claim victories via hard work and training. They can also be great for highlighting power level. That said, strategy is great fun to write in battles IMO.
    - Shoutouts to the club of recycling/referencing old ideas from earlier drafts!
    - Makes sense, re:Lars not challenging the Storm League.
    - Mmm, I understand your point, but don't think the thing about negating type advantages is necessarily true. The presence of them can make strategy even more prevalent if a Pokemon is able to overcome a disadvantage to pull out an unlikely victory.

C9:
    - Money for your birthday, heh. Got that a lot from the grandparents. Happy belated birthday since I saw it was in the general chat thread, by the way! Hope you had a good one.
    - In before the path to happiness was confessing to Lars.
    - How many fears does Andrea have besides many? We have spiders, Pokemon in general, I think small spaces was mentioned once, not-heights, the dark, not-superstitions except sometimes, and now weird shapes on the ground.
    - Interesting high-fantasy past for the forest/the island in general.
    - What WAS that tree, anyway? Seemed a bit large to be a Trevenant.
    - Insane cultists. What is wrong with this island.
    C6:
    - Pachirisu for an evil team member's Pokemon? Well, points for originality, though I feel the opposite of what you might expect is a bit passé as well.
    - I'd say I was hoping Spheal would turn out to be a capture...and I would stand by that, because I like Spheal a lot!
    - That is a very inconvenient gatehouse/sauna if you need to pass through it to get to the other side of the city...
    - But Lars, you were told to return as soon as you could! In before he gets screwed by this decision and excessive eagerness to make his friend get into Pokemon.
    - FOR SCIENCE!

C7:
    - How deep was that hole, anyway? I have a bit of trouble believing Lars would come unharmed from a good cave fall...though I'm kind of calling the kettle black with that. >_>
    - What is even with those living vines? They can't all belong to the Tangrowth. They help make it a creepy place all the same.
    - Bizarre first capture for a new trainer...or any fanfic trainer. Tangrowth...certainly original.
    - I'm assuming you didn't adjust Charizard's size, hence why they had to go separate.
    - Ah, was going to ask if Storm Island had a league of its own or not. So now the question that is raised from this is, why didn't Lars challenge it? I hope there's something to this!
    - Good, good to see not every trainer nicknames their Pokemon in this fic.
    - I wrote the above before reading the bit about Drake never having lifted two people before. A really funny moment, though!

C8:
    - Interesting showing a different side of Lars' character here.
    - I like the small bit of consistency where Lars fights defensively when posed with trickery, when previously mentioning he would do so in C4.
    - Gym destruction is always fun, but done by its leader? Sick.
    - Did Leaf(eon) basically use Wood Man's weapon?
    - Ha, good description/reference on Charizard's popularity.
    - So much for type advantages in general in this fic. Grass beating a Fire/Flying type without any sort of craziness, and electricity beating ground? Insanity.
    First arc done. This will have to be in multiple parts for the same length-related reason. And yup, definitely enjoying it so far. A few comments on the comments on comments before that...

- I guess you're fortunate in regard to your parents, heh.
    - The line was they're building the space station. So...yeah. Better choice of words!! :>
    - Yeah, that's fair enough of a reason, and one I'm familiar with too. My brother can't stand dogs due to being attacked by one, and an ex of mine couldn't stand any kind of animals.

And the chapters moving forward.

C4:
    - Officers for fathers is a nice bit, especially ones they have a good relationship with. Goes to show how Andrea and Lars could have met without actually saying so directly.
    - Ugh, nicknames. Is it wrong I'm kinda cold on them, unless they have some sort of theme? Unless it fits the character not to have a theme at all.
    - I always liked the animation of Faint/Feint Attack more than its description, so good job going with that. Walking up disarmingly and striking without fail? Like every Pokemon is going to fall for that.

C5:
    - Gee, I dunno how you could think a strange stone is strange!!
    - Plus points for referencing ridiculously overpriced bikes in Gen 1.
    - Hahahaha, yes. That young shopkid was being a jackass. And Andrea gets pink forced upon her yet again. Just makes me wonder why she didn't bring it up before with the R-Kit. I hope this becomes a running joke!
    - Interesting fit with the Finneon. I'd say I was hoping it would turn out to be a capture...but it's Finneon.
    - Future twists and revelations in the story notwithstanding, for a mad scientist, Mr. Kerk is strangely not all that twisted. Unless you want to qualify hating technology as such.
    C3:
    - Technology is amazing! In just a few short years, VR romantic partners will be a reality in Storm Universe. And yet they still don't have a space station...
    - And the mystery of Furret remains a mystery. It does still get to stay the starter though, so that's a plus.
    - "science-y stuff" <- I'd expect an aspiring researcher to use a bit more technical term here, but given the tone overall of this fic so far, it fits said tone.
    - Dang, was expecting a bit more a reason for Andrea not getting into Pokemon than just a traumatic experience at a young age.
    - Of course, the girl would get the pink R-Kit and the boy the blue one.
    - Ha, can totally see Reginald as a name for a mad scientist.
    - WHY IS THE CYNDAQUIL IN THE FRIDGE

Impressions so far from just these three chapters? Andrea is nice, I do like protagonists who get into Pokemon later for one reason or another, though minus points for Chosen One cliche. Plus points from being from a big city. Lars comes across as kind of a goofball, but also pushy and just a little annoying. I don't have much to say on him besides that and confirmed love interest. Again, noted the somewhat lighthearted tone at this point, at least brought on by characters with those kinds of traits. Setting is interesting if looking to be a Hoenn-sized island at this point, and I can see a naming scheme going on with the towns/villages which is a plus. Can't really say much for the plot one way or another at this point, but it's enough to keep reading on!
    Hi! I felt like reading a different fic, so I'm reading Storm Island. Here's my comments on what I've read so far.

C1: Typical introstuff, also coming along is a Auspicious Intro That Will Serve Some Purpose Later(tm). My preliminary bets on what the spring figure is: #1) Manaphy #2) Giratina #3) A lakefairy. I like how this situation of starting on an adventure is something close to what you might see in the games. Furret as a starter ranks a 7 on the creativity scale. Definitely a forgotten Pokemon, but it's (an evolved) common Pokemon which isn't uncommon to see and has something special about it that was interrupted.

- Spud the Growlithe is first referred to as a good boy, and then as a mutt? Mixed feelings, Meredith?
    - Heh, like how HM slaves are interpreted here.
    - Fun thing, I had a magazine back in the day that spelled it "Charlizard" in a typo.
    - Odd, I thought many parents would love - or in a friend's of mine's case, even expect - to have grandchildren.

C2: Continuation. Not too much to say about this one, it's moving the plot to its next destination (literally!) which also includes Andrea's first real taste of action. I always think it's a nice detail in fanfics when inexperienced trainers give general orders to Pokemon. Random youngster Kyle was funny with his over-the-top overconfidence, though the mind trick scene after was confusing.

- Balls are voice-activated? I feel sorry for any mutes in the Storm Island verse.
    - IDs can only go up to 65535. Except in this universe! I like how the device even knows/assigns a Pokemon's personality.
    - "There's science to be done!" <- Funny line.
    - For some reason I was imagining Lars tempting the random encounters on by stepping in the tall grass.
    - That comet is an awfully unreliable travel guide if it only appears once every 468 years! What happened to just using Polaris?

More to come and because The text that I have entered is too long (2229 characters).
    Well in my case is that I got kind of busy around May xD in general I haven't been reading as much as I used to, recently I just started trying to catch up on everything I was reading.
    Well I'll try and check it out xD for nwo I wanna catch up on storm island, been a while >.<
    It's about the mildest curse word there is - about the equivalent of "crap". Funnily enough immediately after the First World War it was considered a shockingly bad word. I suppose if you wanted to write a really prim character of Ned Flanders levels of propriety, "darn" or particularly "blast" would be appropriate
    Three days of wall-bashing isn't unusual for my method. Depends how you usually write, I suppose, I mean I write something nearly every day so sooner or later I end up with a breakthrough. Sometimes I'll open up a new file and start again on the scene without referencing what I've already written at all
    Denmark is the most notorious for hating immigrants. I don't know much about Sweden/Norway in particular, but I generally know that outside of the oil money their welfare state is held up by not allowing in immigrants, which is economically a fairly good move for preserving high average income in a petrostate.

I'm pretty bad at languages in general, so Germany was never an option for me. But if I knew German I would totally study there.
    Oh. So you're much older than me.

I can sort of understand that logic. Do you speak any of the languages, though? I know that those nations are super liberal and I can very much understand why you'd be looking for that, but they're also among the most restrictive to prospective immigrants in Europe and rather xenophobic. Not knowing the language would work against you there. Unless "Northern Europe" means Germany, which actually quite likes stealing students from America, offers free tuition to American students, and might be a little more tolerant of the language gap.
    I keep forgetting that you're younger than me. I wanted to say we were in the same year for some reason.

What country do you live in? In the States there's always community college if money is a major issue.
    I can't let myself Civ 5 binge. It absolutely destroys any chance I had of things getting done.
    To be fair, most Brits never get it completely right. "Britain" is the catch-all term for the British Isles - England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and all the assorted scraps of land around them. I wouldn't dare call Eire "British Isles" in front of an Irishman though. The United Kingdom is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (Used to be all of Ireland until most of it won independence). Technically the island territories, etc around the world (The Channel Islands, Falklands, Gibraltar) aren't the UK, and some people would argue that they're not strictly British either. They're a kind of grey area between being independent territories and allies ... essentially, they like the Queen and don't want to speak Spanish, that's what it boils down to
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom