Recent content by technickal

1. technickal

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

That comparison was an interesting read for sure. I do still personally feel, however, that most of the 4Kids lines that were kept had a lot of emotional "punch" behind them, even if they were objectively less accurate to the original Japanese. I'm definitely willing to admit that nostalgia...
  2. technickal

Review M22: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution

Nostalgia is a powerful force for a lot of people. And it's funny you mention FUNimation because they actually did something very similar with Dragon Ball: their dub of Z had a notoriously loose script and replacement score by Faulconer Productions. When it came time to dub Kai pretty much the...
  3. technickal

Review M22: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution

I lost interest in the main series a while back, but was so curious as to how TPCi would handle this movie that I decided to give it a quick watch. First of all, I'll address the giant elephant in the room that is the new art style and animation. I actually think it looks quite good for the...
  4. technickal

Review S21 EP13: Let Sleeping Pokémon Lie!

As a fan of "day in the limelight" fillers, this episode did not disappoint. We get a Jigglypuff-focused episode for the first time in almost a decade and a half and we get a Komala-focused episode for the very first time. And I have to admit, I underestimated the little guy. Sure, it did...
  5. technickal

Review S21 EP12: The Professors' New Adventure!

Ah, this is more like it. Now we're back to doing what SM actually does best: a simple but effective feel-good slice of life story. I actively look forward to episodes like these because I know they'll deliver. Professor Kukui is like that perfect middle ground between smooth and awkward...
  6. technickal

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I like this Translation Tuesdays idea. It's an improvement from Kanto 2017 IMO because it means more variety and less schedule slips. Plus, there's so much untranslated Japanese material from the franchise, episodes are hardly the half of it. Though I'm going to have to say that the dub...
  7. technickal

Season 21: Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon - Ultra Adventures - Dub Episode Titles Thread

Aaand we're back to super-punny titles again. Though I suppose they fit well enough.
  8. technickal

Review S21 EP11: 10,000,000 Reasons to Fight!

In a vacuum, this could have been a fantastic finale to the Aether arc. They made Mother Beast Lusamine even more threatening than the games with a full team now and actually attacking alongside her Pokémon in this unique and bizarre form. They had Lillie run up to her mother and give her...
  9. technickal

Season 21: Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon - Ultra Adventures - Dub Episode Titles Thread

IMO, Pokémon dub titles often fall into the trap of either being overly straightforward, which just ruins the fun, or overly punny, which just comes off like they're trying too hard. These new ones are a good compromise between the two styles.
  10. technickal

Review S21 EP10: Rescuing the Unwilling!

This episode was...well, it happened. It was better than the last episode, at least. But still, I'm feeling very conflicted about this one. First of all, as if Team Rocket's appearances couldn't get even more pointless, here they are. The only excuse for them showing up in the last episode was...
  11. technickal

Review S21 EP09: Revealing the Stuff of Legend!

This episode left me feeling very conflicted. There was a lot to like and a lot not to here. I enjoyed seeing Kukui come to rescue his GF with his Braviary(!). I loved seeing the Tapus sing and dance while showing off each of their unique personalities. And I absolutely adored seeing little...
  12. technickal

Review S21 EP08: Family Determination!

Whoa, the title theme changed. Things really are getting more intense. 2204.4 lbs (999.9 kg), ladies and gentlemen. Have we found the epitome of anime physics? Lillie changed her outfit for...what reason, exactly? I guess it's just the obligatory tie-in to her game counterpart – which in turn...
  13. technickal

Review S21 EP07: Faba's Revenge!

The episode kicks off by literally playing back the final moments of the previous episode. Though I suppose it sounds worse than it will be when not watched in a marathon. Did...did she just say "real-Lillie"? She must have been spending a lot of time around Samson Oak lately. I'll give some...
  14. technickal

Review S21 EP06: Mission: Total Recall!

Aaaand we’re back to stock footage again. I noticed this one was a little different though, so there’s something. Glad they brought over the “get out” motel from the games. Less glad he doesn’t actually say it to Faba. Yay, Lillie backstory! For someone so fleshed out in the games it’s shocking...
  15. technickal

Review S21 EP05: Night of a Thousand Poses!

No stock footage this time, thankfully. Though I still miss the old narrator. Smothering Lusamine strikes again, it seems. But at least Lillie realizes she’s being insensitive herself as well, so hopefully they can both learn from this. Wow, is this seriously the first time Ash has invited his...
Back
Top Bottom