• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.
T
Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• It is not likely that Nintendo announced a game (including a release date) that Game Freak had just started working on. A maximum period of five months isn't enough to design online features for the very first time.
    I am not saying that he was referring to X; he wasn't asked about it. My point is that we can infer X was a separate game from Crystal, since the former was planned in 1999 and the latter wasn't (to say nothing of X being postponed so that it could be released for the GBA, which never happened for whatever reason).
    ----------
    about whether Pokémon Blue and Pokémon Crystal were planned when presumably Red and Green or Gold and Silver were in early development.
    ----------
    Where do you see "early development" in the text? He says that they didn't plan Crystal when they developed Gold and Silver. If Pokémon X was just a codename for Crystal, I don't see why Ishihara wouldn't have distinguished Crystal's circumstances from Blue's.
    I can't say that your interpretation of the article is necessarily wrong, but either way, I don't see how they could have announced Crystal less than a month after Gold and Silver's release (given Ishihara's statement). What's more intriguing is what Pokepale reported in March 2000:

----------
    2000/03/27
    The Game Boy Software "Pocket Monsters X" (tentative), which was planned to be released in April 2000, has been postponed until 2001. This is due to the planned release of the next-generation handheld gaming device Game Boy Advance, which is also being postponed until 2001.

It seems that the Game Boy Advance will include game features and software developed by Nintendo in cooperation with mobile phone device makers. In "Pocket Monsters X" (tentative), of course you catch and train Pokémon, and by connecting to Nintendo's host computer inside the Kyocera data center in Kyoto-shi, you can trade Pokémon with others also connected to the same host computer. Not only that, but you can download Pokémon prepared by Nintendo to the Game Boy using a mobile phone at the cost of roughly 10 yen per use.

Nintendo plans to release an adapter exclusively for connecting the Game Boy Color to mobile phones and related software to transfer data for a total cost of less than 10,000 yen in Autumn 2000, and the Game Boy Advance hardware and its corresponding software "Pocket Monsters X" (tentative title) in 2001.
    ----------
    Unfortunately, I can't find the official source this was based on, but Pokepale is very reliable. It seems that there was a short-lived plan to carry over Pokémon X to the GBA, but Game Freak ended up releasing Crystal for the GBC instead.
    Here's the interview. The second paragraph says that Emerald was always planned, but Blue and Crystal weren't.
    I assume that you found the link in one of my VMs to Ash Pokemaster from 2011. The search function is unlikely to narrow it down further than that, but you can set VM as the search type. For whatever reason, the search results just show dates rather than linking to the VMs.

But I wouldn't bother. This article is from a Japanese news site and is about as official as it can get considering that Nintendo chose to disseminate the information that way. All their official website stated was the tentative title and release date, which are reported in the article. What's interesting about the article is the mention of new downloadable characters and GBA support (even though the game was supposed to be released for the GBC before the GBA's launch). Unfortunately, no explanation was offered on either point.

I'll ask a mod to give you access to the Alliance, but it may not work.
    Nintendo had a list of upcoming releases which listed Pokémon X as being (tentatively) scheduled for an April 2000 release. I can't find the page anymore for some reason, but it isn't very interesting as it contained no real information.

The only mention I've found of Pokémon A and Pokémon B is that page you linked to. Copper appears to be yet another tentative title for Pokémon X; this page also lists NEXT and Mobile as two other possibilities. As far as I know, X was the only tentative title used by Nintendo, and it was never confirmed that X was just a placeholder for Crystal. Ishihara actually stated in a 2010 interview that Crystal wasn't originally planned, so I doubt it was supposed to be released in early 2000.

The Beta Alliance has been dead since 2011. I'd add you if I could, but apparently I don't have that ability.
    Now, I could go into more detail, and you should also read what I wrote about Pocket Monsters RPG. But something has just happened that has further complicated things. When Junichi Masuda joined Tweeter in October, I tried to ask him questions on more than one occasion, but I gave up in December when the only worthwhile reply I got was quite confusing: Asking him about Pocket Monsters RPG, he replied that he did not know what it was and wondered if I might have been thinking of Gold and Silver instead (which were also being developed in 1997). After I clarified the question and explained that Shigeru Miyamoto had confirmed the game's existence, Masuda ignored me. Naturally, this made me give up, believing that Masuda was either being misleading or there was room for doubt about the whole thing, and neither prospect was encouraging. But yesterday I re-read the Pocket Monsters RPG quotes and realized (again) that there is only way to interpret Miyamoto's words: "Actually, the first Pocket Monster game for the N64 won't be an RPG. Instead, it will be more of an encyclopedia of monsters. The second Pocket Monster 64 game will be a new RPG." This made want to try approaching Masuda again, this time in regard to Pokémon X.

I had my friend GlitterBerri translate the following question: "In early 2000, Nintendo mentioned a Game Boy Color game tentatively called Pokémon X and said that new Pokémon would be downloadable by connecting to the Kyocera center. What kind of game was this supposed to be?" At first GlitterBerri wanted to ask a completely open-ended question, but I insisted on the new Pokémon part because I suspected that Masuda would be tempted to answer "Crystal". Well, despite that, I did get a reply from him saying exactly that: "It's Crystal!" I really hate this situation; I'll ask him why Crystal didn't feature new Pokémon, but I bet he won't answer that.
    In a nutshell, a GBC game called Pokémon X was announced by Nintendo in December 1999. The game was scheduled for an April 2000 release, and right from the outset Nintendo did not just say that the Mobile Adapter would be used for online battling and trading, but also for downloading new Pokémon. In March, Nintendo reported that both Pokémon X and the GBA had been pushed back to late 2000 or early 2001, and at least Pokepale took this to mean that the game was shifted to the GBA (unfortunately, I have not found official sources to support that impression). By June, Nintendo's then president, Hiroshi Yamauchi, stated in an interview that Pokémon X would be released for the GBC; while he noted similarities to Gold and Silver, he still mentioned the new downloadable Pokémon (he also separately discussed the Celebi download for Gold and Silver, so Celebi was not new by that time). The rest is, as we say, history. It has never been revealed why Crystal didn't feature new Pokémon, but Yamauchi clarified in early 2001 interview that Game Freak had unsuccessfully tried to develop a GBA launch title, and it seems very unlikely that they even thought of releasing Ruby and Sapphire so early.
    Incidentally, the Mobile Adapter had as many as 22 compatible titles, which is not a low number for a service that was only active for 23 months. I would say that the real problem was Nintendo being wrong about the Japanese players' willingness to use their cellphones to play games; the fact that there were different adapters made it relatively difficult to play with other players, as well. I wish they had released a Modem Adapter instead, but perhaps the fees would have been more expensive and the lags more noticeable. The 64DD's RANDnet service was launched in December 1999 and discontinued in February 2001, around the same time as the Mobile Adapter GB's launch. But Nintendo never gave the 64DD much of a chance.

What are your thoughts on Pokémon X? Were you immediately reminded of it when you saw the announcement of the Black and White sequels? I assume that you've read everything I know about it. Should I summarize the facts for you, though?
    I can see Espeon, Mewtwo's face and Ho-Oh's wings. The face that looks similar to Gligar's leaves me unconvinced, though.

Do you know Japanese? Or do you get by with online translations as I do? Kakeru's text dump doesn't mention anything about Chieko because those entries are from the last six months of 2002. This page is pretty much the only source for the Chieko information, and it doesn't use a special name for the mini-games she played with the player (there was a different game for each month). What bothers me is that the site makes no mention of the fact that the GS Ball was also distributed in August 2001; the only thing I know about that distribution is that the badge requirement was removed. I would love to know what else happened in August, what Chieko said exactly each time she appeared, and whether or not there were other interesting news entries in 2001 or early 2002. Unfortunately, rikkyjp's memory is very hazy and his save file is long gone.

It's well established that the real-time clock is the biggest factor that influences the rate at which the internal battery runs dry. Consider yourself lucky to have a working Gold save file from 2000, because most people don't have that luxury anymore. In contrast, I believe that the Generation I games work fine for most people.

Here's hoping that the GB XChanger solution will work for you. For what it's worth, though, I wouldn't doubt that IIMarckus would send you your cartridge back if it came to that. Last November, I tried to find a Crystal game with an original save file on Yahoo Auctions; I had no such luck, and I contacted over 20 people. Of course, it is worth trying again. Would you like to help me?
    Are all of those graphics Pokémon-related? A few of them give me pause as I can't make out any faces. I see Wobbuffet, Umbreon, Tyranitar, Entei, Lugia, Psyduck, Meowth, Porygon2, Marill, Togepi, Jigglypuff, Totodile and Pikachu. Do you see anyone else?

The wallpapers are mentioned in the closing remarks of the last News Machine entry. Do you want to dump the save file so that you can pass it onto someone who has more experience with hacking? If so, IIMarckus should be able to help. What about Crystal? Do you have a Japanese copy with a save file from the Mobile System era?

Meowth346's description is wrong because Chieko was an actual person rather the name of the rolling dice game. Due to reading Meowth346's page over ten years ago (and Serebii's thinly veiled transcription of it), I had long found it random that the mini-game and quiz had just popped up in the game without anyone giving them some sort of context. The question always begged to be asked: Where did the GS Ball come from? I was positively surprised to discover that the News Machine featured NPCs as narrators at least on occasion. The GS Ball didn't just happen to end up in the PokéCom; it was sent there by a person called Chieko who is most likely the adult version of Kurt's granddaughter, Maisy.
    Good work. I figured that you were doing something like this when you started to follow me on Twitter.

I did not know about the Pokémon graphics in the Mobile Trainer cartridge. Did you discover that on your own? I would be very interested to see those sprites, and I definitely think they should be uploaded to the page. There were also downloadable wallpapers featuring Unown, Suicune and Celebi; the one with Unown and Suicune was downloadable from the Nintendo website and was used for the PC, but the Celebi one was for the Mobile Trainer. I don't suppose you can find those, though.

I am going to make changes to the page when I have time, but I'll hold onto Pokémon X and the GS Ball event information (you do know that Meowth346's description of "Chieko Dice" was fairly inaccurate, right?) for a while longer. I believe that information deserves to be covered in a Bulbanews article first, but with the hype around the upcoming games and my being busy, I think this can wait for a few more months. Besides, Pokémon X should get its own Bulbapedia page.
    Hey there. This is SlowpokeIsGod. I believe we've had some interaction before via the GlitchCity forums since I did some posting there in regards to my PokeGods website.

Feel free to share whatever speculation you might have. I'm certainly interested in the discussion.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom