T
Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I smell a Dunsparce evolution. The evidence is circumstantial at best, but Dunsparce seems to be on the rise and it has been longing for an evolution for over ten years.
    There is nothing that makes Black more canon than White or vice-versa; in that sense, all four games are canon. Black and White tried to explain this by referring to the two versions as two parallel universes; this was especially explicit in a short sidequest in Opelucid City. Unfortunately, Game Freak didn't try to weave this into Unova's mythology, even though it could have easily been relevant to Kyurem's two Formes.
    Ah, I've noticed the whole Eevee focus in the anime, it seems pretty likely that we will get a new Eeveelution soon. We get them in every single even numbered gen, while the odd numbers seem to take a break on them. (not counting Gen 1 of course) I dunno though, we could simply get the last former special typing. (dragon) Thats what all the Eeveelutions have in common, though this is the predictable option.

I lol'd on those fake Eevee designs, especially the fighting one XD & ghost looks frightening... As for your convo though, you and Silk bring up really good points for why you guys think that a light type Eeveelution should happen. Eevee's character and moves are as you said, centered around helping rather than just fighting, so really unless Eevee complete changes its character the other Eeveelutions don't really make sense...
    Couldn't help noticing that you revived the whole Light type ordeal. I use to be a supporter of that theory before Reshiram/Zekrom's types were revealed. Honestly, I say why not, I mean were moving to a whole new platform which will be a big move, and introducing a type would be pretty exciting IMO.

I wouldn't get your hopes up though, however I still find the thought appealing. Another reason I myself would want the typing aside from shaking things up a little, is that I would like for Unova's Dragon to be one of the ones to get the typing. Whether its introduced next Gen or later, Fire/Electricity combining to make light makes sense on a physical level, and Kyurem absorbing Resh/Zek to become the OG (enlightenment) makes sense on a philosophical level.

Just my opinion though, I wouldn't mind a new typing.
    I don't think he has valid points. For instance, he argues that Dark isn't just a behavioral type because of its Japanese name. How is evil not a behavioral trait? If anything, he'd have a point if the Japanese name were actually 'dark'.

----------
    Plus, we generally receive some sort of good-natured Pokémon each Generation, mainly being Normal-type Pokémon.
    ----------
    There aren't many of those Pokémon (by my count, only 10 across all five generations) and they would all benefit from a new type. We both know how the retcon might be explained.

----------
    It wouldn't make sense to have a Light type of empathy and enlightenment when the whole point of certain Pokémon's Pokédex entries (as well as some story elements) to do that work for you.
    ----------
    That's a terrible argument. Pokédex entries have no effect on the metagame, and can easily be ignored. Likewise, few Pokémon are relevant to the games' story, so the Pokédex entries are merely anecdotes.

----------
    Fighting, on the other hand, has a certain feeling of heroism to it, which comes from that archetype of "good triumphs evil". It's not "good-hearted" as such, but the sense of heroism that some of the Pokémon of this type represent.
    ----------
    Most Fighting-type Pokémon don't strikes me as heroes, with the only exceptions being Gallade, Lucario and the Muskedeer quartet. At any rate, he himself admits that heroism is not the same thing as being compassionate and tendering.

----------
    ...of course, the LAST thing the metagame wants (not just the community, mind you) is a new Type to deal with. We have 17 types that cover every element and archetype already, and there's 649 Pokémon to recalculate in the tier list and a whole 100 or so more to add there...that is, given that Generation VI actually happens.
    ----------
    This shows that a discussion with this person would be a waste of time. He's already made up his mind that there should be no more new mechanics or revisions.
    To be fair, it is probably possible to design a Fighting-type Eeveelution that would look decent. But that doesn't mean it would be a good idea, and I am confident that Virgil's Eevee won't evolve into a fighting machine.
    I absolutely agree. These designs make my skin crawl, and I doubt that Game Freak would do much better.
    I had only expected to see Leafeon in Generation IV, since Defense was the only stat yet to be associated with an Eeveelution. I think that Game Freak went overboard when they created Glaceon, so I wouldn't put anything past them. I fear the possibility of a Dragon-type Eeveelution with focus on Attack; I'd much rather see the current Eeveelutions (particularly Flareon) be given better moves and hopefully even tweaked stats.

The worst scenario would be having Dragon and Steel-type Eeveelutions, with no new type being introduced.
    Well, strictly speaking the purpose behind her appearance was to commemorate the movies' history. But they could have used the Pichu Brothers instead...

I haven't seen Pichu in any of the movie merchandise, though. Likewise for Munchlax.
    I've just realized that Spiky-eared Pichu appeared in the Meloetta short. Back in December she appeared in the preliminary poster, but a more recent trailer showed a normal Pichu, so I thought that she had been scrapped.
    I think that some legendary should have Light as one of its types, but that honor doesn't have to go to the version mascots. The themes that I have in mind (Past/Future, Birth/Death and Determinism/Free Will) certainly don't relate to any types in an obvious way. When you think about it, only Groudon and Kyogre's theme was defined by their types. All I know is that I don't want to see any more Dragon-type legendaries; Unova's original dragon would be better kept for another generation.

B2W2 ruined N for me, but he did say that he wanted to see a world without Poké Balls, which might foreshadow the return of the walking Pokémon feature. Perhaps the key to the Light type is a region and/or time period where Pokémon walk alongside their trainers as equals. We only saw a step toward that vision in HGSS, since Ethan and Lyra were the only trainers who tried walking with their Pokémon. I don't know what you mean by "legacy NPC", but I'd like to see N have a small but respectable role - something akin to what Cynthia got in HGSS. Cynthia's later appearances were pointless as far as I'm concerned.

I, too, hope that they had a good reason not to reintroduce the GS Ball in HGSS. But you really can't know anything with Game Freak; Masuda ignored all of my tweets about this and other mysteries.
    Not only was Spiky-eared Pichu a new addition, but HGSS themselves weren't played just by veteran players. One of the remakes' selling points was the fact that the younger players hadn't played the original games; they were introduced to Johto through the remakes. Masuda's comment makes it seem that anyone who was interested in the Johto elements is now gone, which is pure nonsense. It would have made a lot more sense had he said that Unova was supposed to feel isolated from the other regions; hopefully it was just a poor of choice of words on his part. My hope is that the next region will be based on Tohoku - the region where the Sinjoh Ruins are located.

My blog should make it clear how Game Freak can revisit time travel and even the Apricorn balls. Kurt may have been the only Apricorn Maker in the Generation II period, but his granddaughter is no doubt supposed to follow his footsteps one day - possibly in another region. I am not as interested in Spiky-eared Pichu as in the other Johto mysteries (which date back to Crystal), but the fact that it traveled through time is very interesting.

I think that simply saying that a new generation is being developed for the 3DS would be enough for starters. The point of the announcement would be to encourage fans to buy a 3DS even now.
    Masuda was asked about missing HGSS features:

----------
    "There are some aspects of HeartGold and SoulSilver that were purposefully left out of Black 2 and White 2," he says. "HeartGold and SoulSilver were more focused toward those who played Gold and Silver a long time ago. It was a celebration and commemoration of those games. With that target audience, we were able to do things that maybe made it more convenient but may not have been so obvious for new players."
    ----------
    That's a really vague and unhelpful explanation. Unfortunately, it makes me doubt that the next games will be any different. The thing that annoys me is that Nintendo acknowledged that HGSS brought back old players, who were also encouraged to buy Black and White. So Masuda's attitude perplexes me.
    The player would be able to cancel the evolution using the B button. We already have to do that to make sure that Eevee evolves at the right time.
    I think that Eevee should learn the move through a Move Tutor who would check its friendship quota. Alternatively, it might just be a TM or level-up move, but full friendship would still be required for the evolution. It is probably best not to make evolution methods too involved... In B2W2, Eevee can't evolve into Glaceon or Leafeon before the league simply because Pinwheel Forest and Twist Mountain aren't accessible.

The Unova League will apparently start in the November 22 episode. Virgil will be introduced the week before that.
    They could even explain the evolution method. Eevee might learn a new Light-type move before the battle (perhaps in its debut?) to replace Helping Hand, but it wouldn't be able to use it effectively at first. Only upon mastering the move in the final battle would it suddenly evolve.
    Masuda announced the Pikachu-colored Pichu and Mewtwo events; the former foreshadowed HGSS, but the latter turned out to be fairly random. But I wouldn't say that most of Masuda's TV appearances were pointless. Still, we shouldn't expect anything until they start promoting the episode.

The writers could disappoint us by having Eevee win the battle without evolving, or worse still, making Virgil lose to Ash in favor of another character (like Kotetsu, who has a Riolu that is more or less guaranteed to evolve into Lucario). But I really think that there is a good chance we won't be disappointed.
    Here's an interesting note from one of the scans:

----------
    An apprentice? Eevee does its best too!
    Apart from the seven evolutions, there is also an Eevee. It might be unevolved, but it works hard by combining its power with that of its comrades!
    (Caption 1: It stops Crygonal's attacks with "Protect".)
    (Caption 2: It powers up Flareon's "Flamethrower" with "Helping Hand")
    ----------
    This makes me think that it would be perfect if this Eevee evolved into Luxeon. It obviously has a supporting role in the team, but how would it be used in a single battle? Helping Hand wouldn't be effective, but if evolved into Luxeon and learned another move that would allow it to borrow the strength of its team, that would work quite nicely.

I'm hoping that Luxeon will be the only new Eeveelution and that Virgil won't disappear after the league. It would be interesting to see the rescue team as recurring characters, especially with Luxeon involved.
    There is another possibility: The new character, Virgil, will actually use Eevee in the league and have it evolve during Ash's last battle. That would actually make more sense than giving the final win to one of the current Eeveelutions, let alone Eevee. It would also be a good way to start showcasing Generation VI Pokémon early next year, whereas If Ash were to get Eevee, it probably wouldn't evolve in Best Wishes. I just hope that if Virgil were to get a new Eeveelution, he would stick around after the league so that it would still be promoted. In the event of there being two new Eeveelutions, Ash could still get his own Eevee later, which would ultimately evolve into Luxeon.

I think I'm going too far with this, but this is literally the only thing we have to speculate on.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom