• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.
T
Local time
6:47 PM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Eevee and the seven Eeveelutions belong to a character that will participate in the Unova League. I still think that Eevee may end up going to Ash after the league. After all, why does a trainer that uses all the (current) Eeveelutions need an Eevee?

I guess that Eevee could end up like the Meowth in booths from the Hoenn League. That is, it might end up being glorified as being equally powerful as its evolutions are, with Pikachu possibly losing to it. But it wouldn't be right to do that seeing as Eevee is too strongly associated with evolution. Besides, this is a normal-looking Eevee; it is hard to imagine it being a powerhouse even in the anime.
    Masuda recently posted that he will appear on Smash next month. The tweet doesn't hint at a surprise, but it is safe to say that he will announce something. There is a chance that he will unveil the first sign of Generation VI, but let's be careful not to get our hopes up (he announced the Mewtwo event a year ago for no good reason). The timing for a Generation VI announcement would be right, seeing as it would be around four months after B2W2's release, as was the case when Generation V was announced in January - four months after HGSS' release.
    Generation V was announced two weeks after Guardian Signs' reveal despite the two having nothing to do with each other. Everything is possible, but I doubt that the new game will be significant to the next generation in any way.

I have no doubt that they will distribute Meloetta internationally around the airing of Movie 15 and its short.
    If Ash catches Eevee, I don't expect it to evolve during Best Wishes, because it would be odd if Ash took a fully evolved Pokémon to the next region. I'd say there are three possibilities, which I'll list by order of preference:

1) Ash will catch Eevee by the end of 2012 but won't train it much in Best Wishes, so that it can be taken to the next region without being too powerful. Something similar happened with Aipom in the Battle Frontier, although in that case Ash only caught Aipom toward the end of the AG series. Perhaps Eevee won't be caught in 2012 and will instead appear as a recurring Pokémon to be caught later (see Ash's Krokorok).
    2) Cilan/Iris will catch Eevee and will have it evolve during Best Wishes as a way to create hype for the next generation, but the character won't stay around for the next series. See Tracey's Marill and May's Munchlax.
    3) Similar to (2), but with Eevee remaining unevolved in Best Wishes so that the evolution be showcased in Cilan/Iris' cameo appearance in the next series. See May's Glaceon.

It is also possible that Cilan/Iris will catch Eevee and stay as a main character in the next series, but I wouldn't bet on that happening.
    No, it is not necessarily promoting anything specific; Eevee is a popular Pokémon and this isn't the first time it has received this kind of spotlight. But if you add everything together, the current Eevee promotion seems to be bigger than the Eevee promotions during Generation IV.

The Team Rocket radio show addressed Eevee's popularity. Supposedly, the surge in popularity is due to Eevee's inclusion in B2W2, but I don't find that convincing because Eevee was included in Platinum and HGSS without this kind of fanfare.
    The 3DS cases (there is also one for the Kyurem Formes) aren't anime-related per se. They don't have the Best Wishes logo.
    I don't really think this is a hint, but what's in the middle? It looks like an Eevee silhouette, but is it really?
    I guess that two new Eeveelutions will be introduced, but only one of them may have a new type. But I really don't care about which existing type may be chosen for the second Eeveelutions. Normal would be bland, and none of the other types is a good fit for the Eevee family as far as I'm concerned.
    That and several other things. Eevee is even included in the poster for the second season, although that doesn't necessarily mean it will be caught.

I'm rather interested in Mew and Mewtwo's merchandise. But sometimes anime-related toys are released randomly, so take it with a grain of salt. But it is safe to say that Eevee will at least get an episode.
    If to be honest, I'm losing interest in these forums. Worthwhile discussions are very rare these days; usually things pick up after a new game is announced, and even then...

I expected that my last blog entry would lead to an interesting discussion, but it didn't. So I'll stick to VMs for the foreseeable future.
    Luxeon would be a good name ('lux' means light in Latin, and is also a measuring unit of illuminance), but I'll leave Game Freak to think of its design. It could evolve through a combination of high Happiness and using a new move that would demonstrate its loyalty to its teammates, like Substituting Baton. I imagine that it would excel in HP.
    I think that Generation VI itself should be announced by the end of the year, hopefully around October. But as for the Movie 16 star? Most likely not before February. That doesn't mean that a cute new Pokémon (to be featured in the movie or the possible Pikachu short) can't be revealed around December, though. It would be boring if they merely showed a poster featuring Genesect, considering that the teaser already confirmed its role.

It seems that Eevee is due to appear in the anime. It's too soon to tell, but if it gets captured by one of the main characters, I can see it evolving into a new species at some point down the road (not necessarily in Best Wishes). It would be random if it evolved into one of its current evolutions, since there is no reason to promote anyone over the others.

I actually have no desire to see a new Eeveelution unless a new type is involved.
    Animals that are associated with kindness and good luck in legends and fiction would be good choices for Light-type Pokémon. Examples include white harts, collie dogs and geese. As for creatures, angels (not religious symbols, such as Cupid) and fairies (like Tinker Bell) would be expected.
    People are just stubbornly afraid of change, which is why triple and rotation battles are so unpopular, but no one complains about them since they're optional. I don't know why the thought of Generation IV being the last generation with a significant change to single battles doesn't bother them. Would it really be that hard to get used to a more balanced type chart? There are more radical changes which Game Freak admitted to have considered, namely increasing the limit on party size and Pokémon move slots, so a new type would technically be the "lesser evil" to conservative fans. Or they can get over their silly fears and admit that the current metagame, which has become increasingly offense-oriented, isn't perfect.

I am interested in a new type because I want to see a more refreshing approach to new Pokémon and moves. People say that new type combinations are enough, but I doubt many fans even remember by heart which Pokémon introduced a new combination. As for the merits of the Light type, I think people would have an easier time accepting it if it weren't presented as a counter to the Dark type. For one thing, I would imagine that Light would be effective against Dark but would also be weak to it, which would be interesting as that kind of duality doesn't exist in the current type chart. I don't consider Dark to be the direct opposite of either Psychic or Fighting; the connection between these types is somewhat arbitrary. Anyway, Psychic and Fighting-type Pokémon are definitely not defined by their behavior, but rather by their mental and physical abilities, respectively. Why would a Light type clash with that?
    Those words are good for damaging moves (like Holy Touch and Radiant Halo). Most of the moves would of the supporting type, and there are a bunch of existing moves that would have their type changed: Reflect, Light Screen, Softboiled, Safeguard, Baton Pass, Heal Bell, Follow Me, Helping Hand, Healing Wish and Heal Pulse. Softboiled would be altered so that the player could choose to heal another Pokémon in the party instead of the user.

Ideas for new moves:

Angelic Warmth: All Pokémon in the field are fully restored.
    Cooperative Ray: The user borrows the power (Special Attack) of a Pokémon in the party (chosen by the player) to inflict damage.
    Just Reward: If the opposing Pokémon inflicted damage in the last turn and the user did not, the damage is bounced back - the foe is hurt and the user is healed.
    Substituting Baton: The user creates a substitute to defend another Pokémon with which it is switched. (A combination of Substitute and Baton Pass.)
    Protective Wave: The user is protected during the current turn and the next one. Fails if used consecutively.
    Personally, I am not in favor of the "bright light" interpretation, seeing as it is a vague distinction from Electric. Both Ampharos and Lanturn are classified as the Light Pokémon, but the latter can't get a new type since it is so heavily associated with its current types (whereas with Togetic and Togekiss the Normal type is arguably dispensable). Still, Ampharos might be associated with Empathy/Enlightenment since it acts as a beacon for lost people.

I don't think Arceus should have access to any of the new types. Chaos had been the state of the universe before Arceus was born and broke it (thereby creating the 17 types). Enlightenment is a spiritual process that I don't see manifesting in Arceus, whose signature move is called Judgment, which implies rage.

This is what chaos looks like.
    As for a more traditional new type like Light, this could work if handled with care. It would have to be a behavioral type like Dark (Evil in Japanese), meaning that it wouldn't be light in the electromagnetic sense; 'Empathy' might be a better name to avoid confusion. Several existing Pokémon (the Togepi and Happiny families, Meganium, Milotic, Alomomola and Audino) would be given this type (in Togetic and Togekiss' case, their Normal type would be replaced) to reflect their good-hearted, soothing and helpful nature - the opposite of the savage and mischievous nature of the Dark type. There would have to be an explanation for the discovery of this type, though. What I have in mind is that the strengthened bond between Pokémon and people would be explained to have manifested in certain Pokémon (the naturally compassionate ones) becoming more enlightened.

Arceus would not have access to this type, but a few of the new legendaries might. That said, I disagree that Game Freak need to introduce a new type to justify their next theme. Past and future, life and death, determinism and free will... These are just the themes that appeal to me, and they have nothing do with types (although the latter would certainly benefit from the introduction of the Chaos type).
    I've always been in favor of new types, but particularly now when the game mechanics and metagame are at a point where they'll become stagnant if Game Freak continue to be conservative. Adding new Pokémon, moves and abilities just isn't enough to keep things interesting in my opinion. Note that the only significant change to single battles in Generation V was hidden abilities, which was merely a way to give Pokémon another ability option (a significant change for some critters, but certainly not for most). I shudder at the thought of Game Freak being afraid of making more dramatic changes from now on.

Modifying the type chart is certainly one viable option to bring about change. It may not be as needed as it was before Gold and Silver, but that is beside the point. I am primarily interested in the "???" type that used to be associated with the move Curse (until Black and White), and even with Shadow Pokémon in XD. What did Game Freak have in mind when they didn't make Curse a Ghost-type move to begin with? I see "???" as a placeholder for Chaos, the anti-thesis to the Normal type, being resistant to all types except for possibly one. But to remedy this advantage, no Pokémon would have this type in the normal sense. Rather, a certain Pokémon would have a special ability called 'Turmoil' that would temporarily project the Chaos type onto all the Pokémon in the player's party. That Pokémon would be Unown, which as you know is currently useless in battle. During the effect of this boost, Hidden Power would be a Chaos-type move, making it super-effective against any Pokémon. A new legendary Pokémon would have Chaos as a permanent type, but it would be hindered by Unown's Turmoil due to Chaos resisting Chaos-type moves.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom