• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.
Trainer Gabriel
Local time
10:34 PM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Hey, thanks for the follow! I wasn’t expecting that, haha, but I certainly don‘t mind. I’ve went ahead and returned the favor!

For months I had heard the rumor, but never truly believed it...until today! It's real: Knights of the Old Republic, one of the greatest Star Wars video games ever made, and also an awesome role-playing video game in its own right, is getting a remake! And it looks like EA will not be involved, either! While I would prefer a faithful remake, D&D-style dice-rolling mechanics and all, I'll accept the reported conversion to Action-style combat if it's done well and Aspyr still manages to capture the spirit of the original game. If this does turn out to be a PS5-exclusive, I would gladly go out of my way to finally get Sony's newest system to play this, just as this very game converted me into an Xbox-gamer before!

Let the anticipation and hype begin! :D
    I don't know if you already know of this or not, but FE Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light is coming to the Switch in English for a limited time. I know you mentioned you wanted to try out the older games officially, so luckily that chance is coming December 4th! I know I'm going to get it just to play through it again, but this time with portability.
    Reactions: Trainer Gabriel
    Trainer Gabriel
    Trainer Gabriel
    [Part 2]
    I'm not at all familiar with the original and Advanced First Edition D&D rulesets myself, so I can't really give you a direct comparison. I can only tell you that Advanced Second Edition uses the THAC0 system, which stands for To Hit Armor Class 0 (which apparently was also used for AD&D 1E), which you can read all about here: THAC0. But the only thing you really need to know about THAC0 when playing BG is that the lower your THAC0 rating is, the better, so you won't be confused when your Armor Class (AC) number goes down when you equip a heavier set of mail, not up. The only other D&D ruleset that I'm familiar with is the 3rd Edition, which replaced THAC0 with a more intuitive increasing AC stat. I know about 3E because it was utilized in Icewind Dale II and the Neverwinter Nights series (KotOR also uses a Star Wars P&P RPG version of 3E). Well, I'm glad you're willing to take a dive into Baldur's Gate, despite its mechanics, and I do hope you can get into them. Glad that your brother is also interested, if you can't. Maybe he could help you get into the games.

I'm sorry to burden you with more gaming recommendations, but, if you're planning to purchase the complete Baldur's Gate Boxset from Amazon and haven't already, I think it would be appropriate to also grab the Icewind Dale 3-in-1 Boxset at the same time, since it's similar to Baldur's Gate and more or less just as inexpensive. Remember that title? We talked a bit about it before almost two full years ago during our first long conversation. Back then I mentioned that I wouldn't recommend IWD right away, and the reason is because it plays just like Baldur's Gate, as I mentioned, with all the same RPG mechanics, except it focuses more on dungeon-crawling and combat. In fact, it's even set in the same world as BG, just in a different location. Though, I could understand waiting, since you're already taking a shot at BG in the dark and may not want to spend the money on anything you may not end up playing at all, depending on whether or not you enjoy BG. Either way, let me know when you get the BG Boxset, and I'll give you some tips for playing when you want to get started.
    Tactician Karina
    Tactician Karina
    I think it was in the past few days, especially since I haven't really seen many people mention it (except like, three others). That's great you've been streaming! And hey you don't need a webcam to stream either at least (of course I've always been used to watching streamers with just their voice or a no commentary run, not sure if I'd use a webcam myself if I start streaming), are you using the same name as here or no? I've been unable to really go online much most of the week due to Thanksgiving + my church's charity event so I most probably missed some of your streams, sorry about that.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be playing some more Gothic tonight (also starting a new LS gameplay tomorrow so I can get on that right away) so I'll definitely keep your tips in mind.

Cool, I was actually just thinking of grabbing them during the Holiday sales on GOG so it won't be too much of a hassle. As for the other two yeah I'm going for the Switch versions, I'll see if they're on sale during the Black Friday deals on the eShop but if not then getting them full price is fine too (I bought some eShop cards the other day so I'm all set). Oh cool, I think I read something about Jedi Academy having that choice but I didn't see too much info for it in the post; but either way that's cool and hopefully brings in more replay value.

Yeah iirc THAC0 was in the Dungeon Master's Guide for the first edition though it was considered unofficial at the time and was in it's earliest form, the second edition really uses it as an official rule with obvious added changes. Anyway thanks for this, I most definitely would've thought the opposite at first so this is another big help (and yup not familiar with the third edition D&D ruleset lol). Probably, we've helped each other in other game series and he's the one that really got me to change my mind about the DQ series, so knowing him he'd probably just play right along with me. (speaking of I did order the games from Amazon)

Not a burden at all, don't mind any other rec's you want to give. I'll have to look into Icewind Dale later since I already got the Baldur's Gate boxset, though I am a bit familiar with the former from meme's and random gameplay's I've watched (and yup I remember lol). But I'll probably wait until I play BG first, just to make sure at least I enjoy it.
    Trainer Gabriel
    Trainer Gabriel
    Huh, I thought I mentioned my Twitch username in my previous message. I mentioned when I was going to stream again that day, but then later deleted that part of the message when I realized it was no longer relevant; and I must have also erased the part where I stated what my Twitch username was by mistake, as well. I am sorry. My Twitch username is Bugmite. No worries about being too busy, especially since you wouldn't have known what username to search before. But now if you'd like to watch any streams when you can, I'd appreciate that. Maybe you could create a profile and send me messages in the chat box so we could communicate when you catch me live.

I hope you have fun with Gothic and enjoy the LS path of KotOR, and I'd be interested to hear your full thoughts on them when you're done. GOG also happens to be doing a Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sale event, and the whole DF/JK series is currently 65% off, so this would be a good time to grab them before the sale ends tomorrow.

That's an interesting tidbit to know about THAC0 in the D&D ruleset. Well, you could technically say that you're somewhat familiar with 3E now that you've played KotOR. :LOL:

I would say that waiting to purchase IWD until after you've tried BG is a good idea. The games are mechanically similar enough to give you an idea of what to expect from IWD from playing BG anyway. Plus, Between the BG saga, and all the SW games, you'll have enough games to play to last a while. I'm glad to hear that you got the Baldur's Gate boxset. I don't know when you plan to start Baldur's Gate (next year maybe?), but I want to at least first mention for the time being that I think that even if you don't enjoy BGI, you should still try BGII afterward. It's generally regarded as being the better game of the two.
    A very happy birthday to you!
    • Love
    Trainer Gabriel
    Trainer Gabriel
    Thank you very much for that, Karina! :)

Funnily enough, I've been in the middle of a playthrough of Fates: Birthright, and received a few free gifts and birthday wishes from my companions at my castle grounds today. That was an unexpected surprise.
    Happy birthday to ya! Hope you've been having as good of a day as it can be with things how they are right now.
    • Love
    Trainer Gabriel
    Trainer Gabriel
    Thanks a bunch, man! :) And, yes, I've been doing well enough on my end.

I'll make sure that I'm not late to give you your birthday wishes this time.
    Ten years on BMGf as of today. :bulbaforums:
    Eeveely
    Eeveely
    That means you entered 2 years before what the maya civilisation said would be the end of our world
    I'm doing it now so I won't forget.

Happy happy happy birthday man! I wish you the best of days and I hope whatever age you are now that it's a fantastic year for you full of great moments!
    Ha well now that I see you on here while I'm back around I can finally say it. Thanks for the Christmas and birthday wishes last year while I pretty much fully inactive. It was/is still much appreciated.
    Ebail
    Ebail
    I guess I've been alright, for the most part. Just tired. How about you?
    Trainer Gabriel
    Trainer Gabriel
    Not too much to say here, either. I guess I've been all right, if sometimes fatigued, and also hoping to work a different job part-time because my current, full-time job isn't always fun eight hours a day.
    Reactions: Ebail
    Ebail
    Ebail
    I hear you there. I technically work a part time job but it's over 40 hours a week itself (except every 4th week its gotta drop to 29) and it's certainly not fun most of the time.
    Belated Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and New Years! It's been a good long while I know since I've been on here, but I really do appreciate it. /hug
    Trainer Gabriel
    Trainer Gabriel
    Thank you, El_, and Happy New Year to you! *returns friendly hug* Glad to see you here again! You have a good Christmas and New Year celebration?
    Reactions: El_
    El_
    El_
    Yes! well, about as well as I could anyways. XD Thanks for the warm welcome back, always felt this forum was a little more inviting over the years. & You? ; )
    Trainer Gabriel
    Trainer Gabriel
    Good to hear! Yeah, my Christmas parties with family members went...about as well as expected! :D I didn't do anything on New Year's Eve, but it's been good.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom