• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.
WinterVines
Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• --cont--

Or, here's an example to bring the post full-circle: You give someone a pokedoll, and they take it and ask a question. That's a fine time for a recap: the information you gave them, plus something new. In this case, their question. And then, you could even send a recap back to them in your next post, to help link everything up chronologically.

Now.

The trouble I'm having is that, yes, you left the post open ended, but I'm lost as to how to proceed. While I don't need someone to say, "You met a pokemon, you fought a pokemon, you caught a pokemon," I do need guidance in the game world and system. They are unfamiliar to me, the player, and the Park and it's procedures are unfamiliar to Morgana. How do you even catch a pokemon through befriending it? Don't those usually result in battles, too?

If you've ever run a D&D game for new players, you might have experienced something where they're, oh, in whatever hole you've put them in, and they're looking around at each other, not sure what to do. You know what you expect-- them to search for traps, or meet something to fight, or look for money, or even light a torch-- but they don't have the information to go on (the room is dark; there are traps; there is gold), or they don't have the experience to guess their way into a reasonable course of action.

--cont--
    That's interesting. Most people who RP over forums can handle that. You simply separate the parts of your post so it's clear what you're responding to. If you give him a doll, and whisk him away, and he asks about the doll, then it's just a matter of giving your reply as you walk to the next area. The introduction to the area is implied to go next, but you've already posted it, so you change "shots" (Like a take of a scene in a film? In writing/RP, it'd generally just be a new paragraph), and continue from there as usual.

But that's not the issue I'm having. Even assuming no grand story arcs occur in this RP, I'm trying to do something that gets skipped over in a lot (by which I really mean, the couple that I've read), having a conversation. Since it's roleplay, I'm trying to engage in the , like, talky bits? You know? Because I really don't need a second person to say, "We walk there, it's a pokemon. You fight it. you win!" I get that that's the underlying function of the Park but it's really uninteresting and if this is just a big coverup for that, (word salad until you reach 500 characters per post), it really ought to be retired-- well, IMO, as an RPer. I guess it would still make sense in the context of URPG.

When you reply to me (I'm referring to dialogue, but really this goes for the whole post), you don't need to repeat, quote, redescribe, etc, long passages. There doesn't need to be a "recap." The only time it really even makes any sense to have one is if you have something to add. Like, in my case? You described the hedge walls, and I described them through my character's eyes. A different example: I described sending out my pokemon, then you described me bringing out my pokemon. There was no new information, in fact there was less to it the second time. There was no reason to tell me I opened my pokeball.

--cont--
    I don't know-- seems like if there was any place that would have a water feature (fountains, pools, anything like that), it'd be around the statues. Though, as far as I know we haven't been to any.

To summarize the RP so far:
    >Intro Post
    <Intro Post
    >In-character explanation of how the Park/Mini Run works. Option of three locations but no information about them.
    <Location selection, and reasoning about the selection. Also, is the reasoning correct?
    >Here's a pokemon.
    <Interacts with pokemon. What should I do?
    >It's docile nature (wasn't apparent... not sure why it's relevant). Pokemon reciprocates interaction.

(I am asking you questions in character and dropping you hints in narrative text, things you can react to or comment on. Ways you can guide the story, and really excite or disappoint the characters I'm running. I'm giving you ways to interact, and trying to interact with you.)

(Of course, both of those times, I was really asking for input or info, hoping you could give me something to work with...)

I'm a little stuck... again...
    It seems like your RP is happening exclusively from mine.

I'm trying really hard to prompt or lead the next post or make interactions easy and I'm just hitting dead ends argh what do I do
    Hi Winter! Can we use your art and stories for the Pokemon Library site? Monbrey needs images and descriptions to finish the mockup.
    I hope that you'll be able to overcome the stress of uni soon, so that you can enjoy the beautiful weather that we've been having this spring! Unless its super cold where you live, that is. x]

I know that your studies will pay off really soon. And when they finally do, well, it's one of the greatest feelings in the world. :D
    It's okay! Just checking and seeing if everything was okay. Don't worry too much about it until you finish the crummy midterm stuff, though, okay? That's way more important. I really only had a few classes that had midterm assignments / tests the two years I spent in college (this far), so I guess I was pretty lucky. x]
    Hey, just making sure that you didn't forget about my Weavile pixel art thing. I'm sure you've been busy and curating is a pain. Just checking in!
    Thanks for expressing willingness in picking up my Mini Run, actually. It occurred to me that it's not something you're really obligated to do, but I appreciate it.
    Would you be interested and willing to ref the Champion Battle if it is on 12/22/14 Monday 7 pm CST?
    I know I might not survive, but hey! I happen to enjoy the spookiness of Ghost Types and Dark Types. Be sure to tag me when you get the thread up so I'm notified!
    Hmm, well then. As you actually still have the list I guess it wouldn't hurt. In that case I'll try to get something up in the next week or so. I have finals this week so probably next week.
    So um, I totally just remembered about our Park Run from way too long ago. Taking another couple month haitus doesn't help matters. So yeah, unless something overly strange happens I think it is time to just say forget about it, unless you feel like there some reason as not to, I don't care one way or the other. I feel bad on my end as I'm wasting the money it took to get in, but that was tewo and a half years ago it started, sitting vacant for over 2 of them. So yeah, unless you don't think it's a good idea to leave it be we won't, but I somehow feel it would be nice not to have that hanging over our heads.
    no worries <333 have fun!! I just moved back into college / been advisor training and the new students move in on Sunday, so my schedule is all over the place haha.
    lol, it's fine, not like I had responded on time, so feel free to take your time. Have fun at the wedding, congrats to the happy(I hope) couple :)
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom