• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP143: Jōto Festa! Enter Chicorita and Waninoko!! ・ DP144: Dungeon Capture!? The Valley Powerplant!

Re: "Jouto Festa! Chicorita & Waninoko Appear!!" & "Dungeon Capture!? The Valley Pwrp

Nope. He and Takeshi kind of look at each other and say that hearing about the Jouto region "brings them back," but they didn't mention any specific pokemon.

Wow. When May got her Bulbasaur, Ash brought his back in the very NEXT episode just to meet it.

Looks like the Johto starters simply aren't as important as the classics such as Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard.

Re: "Jouto Festa! Chicorita & Waninoko Appear!!" & "Dungeon Capture!? The Valley Pwrp

Wow. When May got her Bulbasaur, Ash brought his back in the very NEXT episode just to meet it.

Looks like the Johto starters simply aren't as important as the classics such as Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard.

More specifically, Ash's Cyndaquil wasn't popular enough for it to be seen outside Ash going to the ranch.
Besides the Bulbasaurs and Squirtles were distinctly different from each other in terms of personality and appearance. Here, not so much. They're almost the same, actually.

She's not really a rival, though - she's going after Jouto badges, and Satoshi has finished Jouto long ago.

Yes. Ash already completed his Johto journey like three years ago.

Kotone happened to be a trainer that competes in the Johto Gym Battles. There's no way that Ash and Kotone could be rivals. So far what I seen is that Kotone befriends with Ash,Dawn,and Brock. She interacts with Dawn the most. I bet that Kotone tease Dawn about her liking to Ash. Its cool that Dawn owns a Cyndyquil and its already knows Flame Wheel.

Can't let an opportunity to bash Johto pass by, now can ya Scotty?

Your point isn't even really that accurate considering this whole episode was about Johto anyway.

Watching the episdoe online and love the Indigo music in it :D

It's weird that they didn't have more Jouto music, though.

Other than the Rocket-Dan music, I don't think they used any other piece from that region.

Please just shut up
You're really annoying now - more than Weedle ever was
And I seriously mean that Scott, you're worse than Weedle

This whole ep (not to mention previous/next few eps) gave us much more Johto than whatever Kanto stuff we got when FRLG were released...
Why Ash HAS to bring his Cynda to meet Dawn's? especially since as I said back in Hoenn he had a free slot - now he doesn't...

You're simply ridiculous Scott, you're a crazy hater and you're becoming one of the most annoying members here and on Serebii too

What's strange about Dawn's Cyndaquil is that it was immediately able to activate its flame, it took Ash's a couple episodes to do that.

Scott is really full of it and the same thing goes for Weedle aswell,because what he said about the Johto starters is not really true at all.Cyndaquil was really popular back during the Johto saga,because they had toys of it and they also had toys of the whole entire Johto starters so they were really popular and they were also really important as the Kanto starters were.The Serebii site is the worse one, because the members on that site try to state things as facts when they are not.

Last edited:

Scott is really full of it and the same thing goes for Weedle aswell,because what he said about the Johto starters is not really true at all.Cyndaquil was really popular back during the Johto saga and they even had toys of the Johto starters so they were really popular and they were also really important as the Kanto starters was.The Serebii site is the worse one, because the members on that site try to state things as facts when they are not.

What are you talking about? I never even tried to deny that the Johto starters were unpopular. Heck, I even tried to disprove his claim that the Johto starters "never saw the day of light" after Johto by showing a picture of Ash with Bayleef in the Pallet Reunion episode.

What's strange about Dawn's Cyndaquil is that it was immediately able to activate its flame, it took Ash's a couple episodes to do that.

More or less was able to kick Grotle's ass.
But then again- ANYTHING can kick Grotle's ass these days.

Ok i understand what you are saying now,because i don't argee with his claims either because if you did show him that picture of Ash with Bayleef in the Pallet Reunion episode,that should be good enough to prove that they were really important.

grotle lost??

grotle lost??

Grotle was receiving the brunt of Cyndaquil's attacks and was forced back even though it was "supposed" to be focusing on its defense. It was no official win or loss but if the match continued, Cyndaquil would have probably won.
That's saying a lot considering how this thing just hatched and is already cornering second-stage grass starters that had been around for over 140 episodes.

Last edited:

Grotle was receiving the brunt of Cyndaquil's attacks and was forced back even though it was "supposed" to be focusing on its defense. It was no official win or loss but if the match continued, Cyndaquil would have probably won.
That's saying a lot considering how this thing just hatched and is already cornering second-stage grass starters that had been around for over 140 episodes.

I strongly disagree, Ash was just testing Cyndaquil, the match was not a real reflection of Grotle's strength. Did you see how rock climb dealt a lot of damage to Cyndaquil, one more hit, and Cyndaquil would've been knocked out.

Remember Ash (Grotle) was about to attack Cyndaquil again but Brock stopped the match. There was no way Cyndaquil could've won that match if it was a real match, and not just testing Cyndaquil's moves.

Bulbapedia said we saw Sparkle (Olivine City's Ampharos, Amphy in the games) in the first ep too
So it's another Johto cameo/reference in this ep
Surprised no one mentioned it here
I really want to watch these episodes... can somone please PM me and help?

Bulbapedia said we saw Sparkle (Olivine City's Ampharos, Amphy in the games) in the first ep too
So it's another Johto cameo/reference in this ep
Surprised no one mentioned it here
I really want to watch these episodes... can somone please PM me and help?

I think the lack of Jasmine, is troubling. While it could be "Sparkle" couldn't it just be a random showing showing of Ampharos? Unless Kotone said "sparkle" which kind of seems unlikely.

I'll have to watch the episode again, because I didn't get to watch it properly the first time.

Did they show it in the lighthouse? if so, it's safe to assume that's Sparkle
And I don't think Jasmine actually owns this Ampharos so she didn't really had to be mentioned together with it

It showed it with the lighthouse when Kotone was talking about the Jouto region.. I don't know if anything specifically mentioned, but it is safe to assume since it was shown with the lighthouse.

I just drop a quick note.

Sorry I didn't watch the episode because as I said in another thread, I'm going to Japan soon, and I need to prepare for it. So sorry, no episode guide this time :-(
I'll see if Pokemon is still very popular over there, or is it almost dead.

So Dawn got a Cyndaquil and it starts to battle in the next episode? Cool. And it's starting to pull an Ash's Charizard (and Dawn's Pachirisu) and burn her hair? That's funny. I think this will become a running gag.

I come back next week, so the episode guide for next week might be late.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom