• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

The ホリウッド spelling was actually used for Hollywood way back in the day. The Japanese title of "The Hollywood Revue of 1929" is "ホリウッド・レビュー", while "In Hollywood with Potash and Perlmutter" is "滑稽ホリウッド", there's a book by J. H. Lawson which Japanese translation is titled "ホリウッドの内幕"... it's long since been retired, but it was the Japanese spelling back up until the 60s or so.

I have a question...does Madonnya's rejection of Nyasu for being "gross" still carry the same connotations in the original as in the dub (ie: ultimately she turned him away for his freakish abilities as opposed to merely being an uncouth street cat)?

Also, I always assumed that the dub-only title "Pokemon in Love" was intended to be a reference to Shakespeare In Love, largely because I remember that movie still being a fairly "flavour of the month" thing around the time it first aired. That Minamino/Schpielbunk's film was based on Romeo and Juliet (or West Side Story, at any rate) kind of helped that assumption in my mind.

I've been curious about how this particular episode was done in the original version for quite some time, and I didn't think the dub would've been this different. This comparison was certainly a pleasant surprise.

Though I will admit that some of 4Kids' blank signs cause some unintentionally hilarious moments.

And on the flip side of the coin, here's something that I can only assume that they actually took the time to edit in to the show, which is so absurd:

sign.jpg

The Meowth episode comparison was amazing. I learned so many things that I didn't know about before, like the Holywood thing for instance; I totally thought Ash and friends actually went to Hollywood California before I read the comparison. Even though it was one of the longer comparisons on the site, I actually really enjoyed reading it. I look forward to more comparisons like this one in the future.

Adamant said:
The ホリウッド spelling was actually used for Hollywood way back in the day. The Japanese title of "The Hollywood Revue of 1929" is "ホリウッド・レビュー", while "In Hollywood with Potash and Perlmutter" is "滑稽ホリウッド", there's a book by J. H. Lawson which Japanese translation is titled "ホリウッドの内幕"... it's long since been retired, but it was the Japanese spelling back up until the 60s or so.

I never knew any of that, thanks. I suppose it makes sense with the whole "this episode is set in a city based on 1960s Hollywood" thing.

garrison-san said:
I have a question...does Madonnya's rejection of Nyasu for being "gross" still carry the same connotations in the original as in the dub (ie: ultimately she turned him away for his freakish abilities as opposed to merely being an uncouth street cat)?

Pretty much, yeah. Madonnya doesn't call Nyasu gross until after he shows up walking around on two legs / being able to speak human language.

Also, I always assumed that the dub-only title "Pokemon in Love" was intended to be a reference to Shakespeare In Love, largely because I remember that movie still being a fairly "flavour of the month" thing around the time it first aired. That Minamino/Schpielbunk's film was based on Romeo and Juliet (or West Side Story, at any rate) kind of helped that assumption in my mind.

That's very likely. The previous episode also included a reference to "I Know What You Did Last Summer," a movie that's equally "flavor of the month"-y, so it wouldn't surprise me if "Shakespear in Love" was indeed what they were going for.

Some days the fact that these early episodes were dubbed in the 1990s is more obvious than others.

Frost said:
And on the flip side of the coin, here's something that I can only assume that they actually took the time to edit in to the show, which is so absurd:

Nope, that was there originally, believe it or not.

musashi_pms.png

I assume PMS is meant to stand for PokeMon Sentaa ("Center"), but of course we English speakers think of something totally different when we see those three letters together like that.

It is shocking, though, that 4Kids didn't edit it out when they were erasing the Japanese text on there.

Haha, good to know. Because that sign is only on screen for about half a second, I figured it was 4Kids making some sort of commentary about the episode being centered around women, especially because Misty and Jessie are totally flaunting the fact that they get all of this free/reduced price stuff in the faces of the boys without seeming to care much about it.

I never knew any of that, thanks. I suppose it makes sense with the whole "this episode is set in a city based on 1960s Hollywood" thing.

I'd say it's just a coincidence, really. The ホリウッド name was used as a pun name for a Hollywood pastiche in Itadakiman some 20 years prior, too.

You're doing more!?

Awesome

The hamburger and hotdog place sign was unchaged!? :0 shocks me.

Why didn't you do Princess Versus Princess that's VERY Japanese heavy it looks like they edited...also like I said I wanna know more of the League Changes :D

*FYI You never mentioned it but the first episode is almost entirely rescored save for two or three Japanese pieces.

Also Kanto anime was the best...find an episode like that one or even the interesting fillers like Maidens Peak in todays show. I haven't watched in awhile but they stopped doing the "anime fall" that they did so much in Kanto around Johto did they bring that back...those were always funny.

Well, that was neat! The unexpected is always a nice surprise and we sure didn't see a new comparison coming! Especially one as interesting as this :-D

Tell you what, Big D? How about in the future you can do less work on comparing and tell us more of your thoughts and side notes? Those are always interesting and fun! (Sometimes I'm more interested those parts than the comparing version differences, and I doubt I'm alone)

And I NEVER knew that about Darumaka being based on a Japanese doll, but it kind of explains a couple of things now that I know. It's times like this I'm glad 4Kids is gone so the producers can through in references like this :) (even if they are rather esoteric (and no, that DOESN'T mean something delicious))

Last edited:
Also Kanto anime was the best...find an episode like that one or even the interesting fillers like Maidens Peak in todays show. I haven't watched in awhile but they stopped doing the "anime fall" that they did so much in Kanto around Johto did they bring that back...those were always funny.
I would have to disagree. Every region has had its share of great filler, especially in Black and White.

I agree that the art in that Darmanitan episode was really nice. I hope you do more BW episode comparisons :D

I agree that BW comparisons are probably very easy to do, with just an occasional dialogue change here or there. It'll be interesting to look at them nonetheless since a lot of Best Wishes is still fresh in a lot of people's minds.

Pokemaster Justin said:
Why didn't you do Princess Versus Princess that's VERY Japanese heavy it looks like they edited...also like I said I wanna know more of the League Changes :D

I addressed that earlier:

Dogasu said:
I sort-of kind-of have a schedule. After I finish the one I'm currently working on (which is a random Kanto episode I've been wanting to look at for a while now), I'm thinking of going back to the oldest BW episode I haven't done a comparison for (the Darumakka episode) and filling in the rest of that season.

Once I finish that, I'll go back and finish Kanto.

And in regards to "Princess vs. Princess" specifically:

Dogasu said:
I'm holding out on a Japanese DVD release of that (come on, Media Factory, can't you give us at least one more "Best Collection" DVD release before the end of BW?) so I can have a good quality version of the episode to make screencaps from. I don't want to take dozens of crappy looking caps and then have to turn around and cap those all over again because a better looking version of the episode is released.

Hey Dogasu, is the Nico Nico Live event for Pokemon: The Origin for Premium Nico members only, or does it include free ones? (I guess I'm also too used to live airing of concerts that you have to pay for, so I don't know, heh.)

Also, what time is the special airing?

Also, what time is the special airing?

October 2nd, 7 PM to 8:49 PM (Japanese time). :)

Hey Dogasu, is the Nico Nico Live event for Pokemon: The Origin for Premium Nico members only, or does it include free ones? (I guess I'm also too used to live airing of concerts that you have to pay for, so I don't know, heh.)
It's free for all members. ;)

Don't feel bad about the misinformation, Dogasu. We all make mistakes. Especially with the whirlwind of activity going on with Pokémon lately and in the next few weeks. (I imagine it's gonna be kinda nuts). :)

Dogasu, to answer the question in your last update, I just checked the list that I kept for my site throughout BW's pre-release period, and we knew of 42 Isshu Pokemon by August 2010, which was a month before the release of the games. Some of them were leaks rather than official reveals, but they also revealed some more Pokemon before the games came out, like Choroneko/Purrloin. So this is about on par with Isshu, only Isshu had a lot more new Pokemon overall.

Back
Top Bottom