• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

As you probably already know, Lysandre's name is based on the flower "Fleur-de-lis." I swapped out the "i" for a "y" for two reasons: one, having the "y" there helps people who aren't familiar with the Japanese version identify who the character is a bit easier, and two, because corrupting the spelling of the flower's name helps make the man's name seem a bit more like a person's name, if that makes any sense.

"Fleur-de-lys" is actually an accepted spelling of the flower name, and only slightly less common than the "lis" variant, though. :p

In the novel of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Phoebus' fiancee is named Fleur-de-Lys with the y spelling. To be honest I would assume that first as the intended name.

I'm from Minnesota and I honestly couldn't stop laughing at that song! XD Yeah, I agree with you that a lot of 4Kids' actors never really showed nuance when it came to emoting.

I'm guessing you will be doing the Children's Day episode on May 5th? :)

Great work on the new comparison, Dogasu. I'm personally surprised you didn't do anything related to a certain other holiday falling on that day (Cherubi fans like me can benefit from that, as well as rewatch A Better Pill to Swallow). That little rotter Togepi was an early taste of Generation 2, and I love having my appetite whetted like that to this day. Regarding the police box bit: perhaps Americans who don't watch Doctor Who as well wouldn't be familiar with it (raised in a Tom Baker family of Whovians, working on getting caught up before Peter Capaldi's run starts later this year); but I love the starship Enterprise noises that the phone makes when the Pokédex gets upgraded. Well, back to work on the postgame and work on my own series of snarky internet pieces on this franchise.

I noticed that there are two new locations revealed in the M17 manga adaptation summary: Avignon Town and Orseille City. Would you mind providing the kana of those two names (for encyclopaedic purposes)? I would have guess アヴィニョンタウン and オルセイユシティ, but I didn't want to assume considering they had a different spelling for Alsace...

From what I found, Avignon is a commune located in southeastern France and a regional county municipality in Quebec. There's also a type of yellow dye that can be derived from Avignon berry. Orseille is a purplish-blue dye derived from several species of lichen, particularly Roccella tinctoria. Due to both being sourced from the same lichen, orseille is also chemically related to litmus, which turns red under acidic conditions and back to blue in alkaline conditions. I'm probably just making it a stretch here with the colors.

アブニヨンの町 and オルセイルシティ.

I'm not sure about "Orseille City" as a romanization for the second one but I'm pretty sure the first one's meant to be Avignon.

Dogasu can we please finish up kanto I always wanted the league and later episodes comparisons up

Always I love reading your thoughts on the dub too...

アブニヨンの町 and オルセイルシティ.

I'm not sure about "Orseille City" as a romanization for the second one but I'm pretty sure the first one's meant to be Avignon.

They really did corrupt the one for Avignon...

Hmmm, I was expecting it to be based on the French pronunciation, but that romanization seems to be plausible if it's based on its English pronunciation (\(ˈ)ȯr¦sā(ə)l, -sā, -sel\)...

Pokemaster Justin said:
Dogasu can we please finish up kanto I always wanted the league and later episodes comparisons up

I'm sorry I'm not putting the comparisons out as fast as you'd like but I will point out that all of the episode comparisons I've done this year have been old Kanto episodes. Kanto episode comparisons take a lot longer to do than other comparisons for a variety of reasons and I don't have as much free time as I used to so unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to feasibly pick up the pace anytime soon.

捷克羅姆 said:

Eh, not really. When you Google アブニヨン you get a bunch of website results with the "avignon" spelling so it's not like the movie / manga is making it up. Unless the "they" you're referring to was "Japanese people in general."

French words in general do tend to be quite unrecongnizable when written out in Japanese, though.

捷克羅姆 said:

Eh, not really. When you Google アブニヨン you get a bunch of website results with the "avignon" spelling so it's not like the movie / manga is making it up. Unless the "they" you're referring to was "Japanese people in general."

Yeah, I failed to consider the alternate spelling of アビニヨン, since I was just basing the Japanese name on Wikipedia.

Also, I should have worded that phrase better. What I meant with 'corrupt' was taking an actual word and making minor alterations in spelling, such as writing Avignon as Avugnon in English.

I'm not a big fan of "Iwark as a Bivouac" mainly because of how cloying the cave scenes were. A lot of nostalgic fans think the "my friends are warming me up" part is The Saddest Scene in Pokémon Ever™ but I never felt anything when I watched this episode as a kid.

It's so ridiculous how 4Kids/the censors removed all the matches in the igloo scene because, y'know, matches can help people survive if they're in a situation like the characters were in here. I wonder if they'd remained intact if 4Kids reworked Team Rocket's dialogue to say that matches are dangerous to play with unless you're in a do-or-die situation.

It's so ridiculous how 4Kids/the censors removed all the matches in the igloo scene because, y'know, matches can help people survive if they're in a situation like the characters were in here. I wonder if they'd remained intact if 4Kids reworked Team Rocket's dialogue to say that matches are dangerous to play with unless you're in a do-or-die situation.

Eh, I think the odds of the show's target audience coming across a packet of matches in an ordinary household situation and not fully comprehending the dangers are significantly higher than those of them finding themselves in a do-or-die situation where they already have a packet of matches on them and only the memories of something they saw on Pokemon to show them what to do.

I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with removing the clips in question, but I can certainly understand it.

Sugimori said:
With that said, however, I'm not the one who actually designed Zenigame and Kameil."

It's always interesting to find out that, despite the common notion brought out by people who criticize the newer designs that Sugimori was solely responsible for the original 151, even Pokemon like Squirtle and Pikachu weren't done by him.

Well there's also a common notion that "Satoshi Tajiri's already thought up the first 1000 pokemon." So what I guess I'm trying to say is that there are a lot of people out there who have no idea what the hell they're talking about.

I am curious about the Japanese names of Hawlucha and Talonflame. Most often they are romanized as Luchabull and Fiarrow but Dogasu seems to go with Luchabre and Firerrow. With Talonflame there's really no difference in the meaning but Luchabull and Luchabre are clearly different, I'd like some help in deciding which I'd personally use. Luchabull seems to be more widely accepted, but I can't help but find the name a bit strange considering Hawlucha isn't a...bull. On the other hand Luchabre being simply a combination of lucha and libre is just boring(assuming that is the origin of the name). If Luchabull is truly the originally intented name perhaps it's referring to Hawlucha being very powerful (like a bull) despite its small size as pointed out in its Pokedex entry.

I'm sure that soccer player's acting will be awful, much like Rola's acting was for Malin. I'm glad those celebrity-voiced characters are not around for the entire film. Also, I didn't realize that voice work for a Pocket Monsters film started so close to its release date. Is that the same for every animated film in Japan?

Well, Rola normally has an irritating way of speaking so I wouldn't say that her "performance" in the Keldeo movie was a good indication of what non-voice actors can do.

And the voice acting is usually one of the last things they do in Japan, contrary to the way it tends to be done in Western animation. It's not just Pocket Monsters.

I saw the article or page you did on the planetarium. Nice write up on it.

It's too bad that the other planetarum releases will never have a home release or have little to no info on them about what the special was all about.

ETA:Just saw the trailer of best wishes one, and the 3d is just ick, and yeah I can pretty much see the budget of those specials (they look like moveable paper dolls).

Last edited:
I'm sure that soccer player's acting will be awful, much like Rola's acting was for Malin.

We've heard him in clips from the movie now. It's comparable to Eric in the Genesect movie, really. Not offensively bad, but it's clear the guy doesn't have any acting experience and isn't being pushed very hard by the voice director.

Also, he has a single line in the entire movie, apparently.

Back
Top Bottom