• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GO What Do You Think of the Shop?

Reaction score
This thread is for discussion of the shop feature in the game. How are you finding the microtransactions? Have you bought anything yet? What do you think are the most worthwhile items to spend coins on? Do you collect your gym defender bonus as soon as you take a gym or do you wait until you secure more gyms? Do you think the prices for the items are fair? Are there any particular items that you want/need/are looking to buy?

This thread is for discussion of the shop feature in the game. How are you finding the microtransactions? Have you bought anything yet? What do you think are the most worthwhile items to spend coins on? Do you collect your gym defender bonus as soon as you take a gym or do you wait until you secure more gyms? Do you think the prices for the items are fair? Are there any particular items that you want/need/are looking to buy?
I haven't used microtransactions yet. I think the only worthwhile items to spend coins on are Lure Modules/Incenses as everything else can be obtained from PokeStops. Haven't got the chance to collect any gym defender bonuses yet but I'd probably collect it soon as waiting sounds risky in this case. I'd pretty much save any Coins I may get for Lures/Incenses.

I've bought lures, incences, extra bag space twice, and incubators cause eggies~ The turnaround for gyms around here is ridiculous so I collect right away. Like, seriously, the other day I parked next to a gym and was there for maybe 10min and the gym changed teams at least once per minute. It was kind of hilarious but I also wanted to go push some of those guys into the canal ^<__<^ :p Anyway, because of this I generally collect after only one gym even if I end up with 2-3 later by the time I get home all my pokemon have been kicked out.

I only bought incenses once. I find I don't really need to buy more than what I've already got/get from level ups. It's good that I have them but I wouldn't buy more. Lures I definitely like having more of, and incubators. I know we can buy regular pokeballs but I'm surprised that we can't buy Great and Ultraballs even after getting to the appropriate level where you can find them from Pokestops. I think they should add them to the store whenever you reach the appropriate level for them cause I have like a million Pokeballs and keep running out of the other ones, and at higher levels you kinda need the other balls to catch stuff.

I actually read some strategy guides a while earlier and they state that Incubators are the best thing to buy. Better than Lures/Incenses apparently because hatching as many 10km eggs as possible is supposedly an easier way to get rare Pokemon with good stats than trying to lure them in.

I agree that I don't get why Poke Balls can be bought but the Great and Ultra variants cannot.

I've only acquired two 10km eggs this entire time though, so dropping a bunch of lures in a place with 2-3 PokeStops within ring radius nets me more pokemon (plus, my uni seems to have, like, every pokemon evAr so that's how I've been filling out my dex).
I see. The strategy guides I consulted were talking about the really big picture (in which things roll really well past Level 20). At that point you should be getting lots of 10km eggs and probably also have been used to the game and are patient enough that hatching 10km eggs shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Well, patience is a virtue... THAT I DON'T HAVE. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I just hit 20 so who knows. I went out the other night and it was 88F (31C) at 10pm at night, so you can imagine I don't do a whole lot of walking around, period. My main method of hatching eggs is just plugging the phone into my car when I'm driving through slow-ass traffic, which is slow enough that it registers as "walking."

if i bought anything it would be incubators. so i can get rid of all these 5k eggs i keep getting. over level 20 and have only seen 4-5 10k eggs. and since i hit level 20 barely see 2k eggs.

A strange thing about the Shop as of now is that you may buy Max Potions and Max Revives, the best variants of Potions and Revives available, even before the level you can regularly get them as level rewards or from PokeStops. Yet when it comes to Poke Balls, only the regular ones are available instead of Ultra Balls :(

The anniversary box is a bad deal imo. The only thing really worthwhile and in the box are the incubators. The rest of the items have too low of a stock that they'll be consumed too easily. Max revives should have been at least 10, raid passes should be 5, and ultra balls should be around 30 minimum.

Raid Passes are a better investment than Incubators, actually. So I think those are the most worthwhile items in the box, but it still isn't a good deal.

Raid Passes are a better investment than Incubators, actually. So I think those are the most worthwhile items in the box, but it still isn't a good deal.
That depends on whether you still need new basic Pokemon or just evolutions. I'm close to having every possible Pokemon obtainable through the buddy/rare candy systems, but still need a Porygon, so incubators are more important to me.

That depends on whether you still need new basic Pokemon or just evolutions. I'm close to having every possible Pokemon obtainable through the buddy/rare candy systems, but still need a Porygon, so incubators are more important to me.
Find the 10K right now. I hatched 2 in the anniversary event.

3 new boxes are available in place of the Anniversary Box.

Special Box; 480 Coins: 6 Premium Raid Passes, 10 Pinap Berries
Great Box; 980 Coins: 12 Premium Raid Passes, 20 Pinap Berries, 10 Lure Modules
Ultra Box; 1480 Coins: 16 Premium Raid Passes, 30 Pinap Berries, 20 Lure Modules, 4 Incense

They were probably added because of GO Fest but they replace a Box that was part of this ongoing event, so it does affect the event.

These boxes all appear to be better offers than the Anniversary Box because the price of the Premium Raid Passes alone is bigger than the entire box. Premium Raid Passes are one of the best items available from the Shop after all, alongside Incubators.

I still don't plan on buying them at the moment, though. Saving Coins for some better offer at this point.

At this point I've managed to get consistently some PokeCoins off defending Gyms and now have 474 on hand. That's worth 3 3x Incubators and I believe I can make 150 Coins more quickly than I'd obtain and proceed to hatch 3 10km Eggs per each such Incubator, so I'm maintaining some good financial balance in that regard.

From there I can also save a little which can either go to Raid Passes (although I'm not feeling like it, a bit frustrated at how Raids work and deep down I know I can't get good groups enough for it to be worth it) or, what I'll most likely do, save them for whenever there's a discount thanks to some event (one thing I'd like to buy is a single Storage Upgrade when Gen III is released, 250 will be too little then).

By now I've bought Raid Passes 3 times; 2 for Entei the first day before I caught it, and 1 for an extra Tyranitar. I may buy more for the sake of a Venusaur or a Tyranitar, as well as Raikou/Suicune before I catch them, whenever they come up. I have about 900 Coins now so I don't mind too much, and my Incubator has 2 uses left and the 10km Eggs aren't coming :(

I also plan on buying a Lucky Egg somewhat soon to get off some evolutions I've been saving up, probably alongside a Raid since I don't have too many evolutions and don't have storage to save more either.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom