• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen 2 Starters in Alola?

Anime Psyclone

Moved to PokeCommunity
Reaction score
I really think Pokemon USUM will have more Gen 2 Pokemon and the starters would fit there pretty well. Post ideas about them here.

I want there to be Alolan Forms of the Gen 2 starters! XY did something similar to this, and I’d love to see you get an Alolan Chikorita that’s Grass/Electric, an Alolan Cyndaquil that’s Fire/Ice, and an Alolan Totodile that’s Water/Poison (A type combo I really think would be good, like polluted water creatures) or Water/Steel. Alolan Chikorita could have flowers that generate electricity, Alolan Cyndaquil’s body temperature rapidly shifts between hot and cold, and Alolan Totodile could be a mechanized crocodile or dines on Alolan Grimer and Alolan Muk or something.

Since i have nothing else to say heres a cute picture of alolan raichu.
0d8.png

Alolan forms for starters are quite frankly a bad idea, given how starters aren't found in the wild and are tied to their respective regions. This is the one case where Mega Evolution makes more sense rather than random typing changes. So with that in mind, I don't see USUM as the right games for tweaking the Johto starters.

Last edited:
theoretically their megas should be posibble now but maybe they want a rivalry between gen II and IV when gen VIII anime starts, but why wait f they can make rivalry to gen I and III now?

theoretically their megas should be posibble now but maybe they want a rivalry between gen II and IV when gen VIII anime starts, but why wait f they can make rivalry to gen I and III now?
If they bring new Megas in US/UM we can see Johto Starters getting them, but I doubt it.

I honestly think that having wild starters is a good idea if they want to break ground. If Johto Pokemon do get Alolan Forms, possibly the Starters could be wild?

or any other Pokemon- because this is a mid generation game. It needs to be slightly compatible with SM

They effectively made XY inconpactible with ORAS by adding new Megas. They certainly won't care now. And, incompactiblity leads to more sales among competitive players, as they're forced the purchase the game.

They effectively made XY inconpactible with ORAS by adding new Megas. They certainly won't care now. And, incompactiblity leads to more sales among competitive players, as they're forced the purchase the game.
Megas are caused by an item. Alolan forms are virtually a new Pokemon

Alolan forms for starters are quite frankly a bad idea, given how starters aren't found in the wild and are tied to their respective regions. This is the one case where Mega Evolution makes more sense rather than random typing changes. So with that in mind, I don't see USUM as the right games for tweaking the Johto starters.
The QR Scanner would like to say hi

Regardless, I agree that Alolan forms might not be the most suitable. I'd actually prefer Megas, maybe partly because it doesn't require you to get an entirely new Johto starter to e able to gain the new advantage

That difference hardly matters though, both new Megas and Alola forms are new forms that are not present in SM's data, making the games incompatible. You won't be able to use either of them in SM, except if they patch the game (which they didn't do for ORAS, so don't think they'll do it now).

That difference hardly matters though, both new Megas and Alola forms are new forms that are not present in SM's data, making the games incompatible. You won't be able to use either of them in SM, except if they patch the game (which they didn't do for ORAS, so don't think they'll do it now).
My point was that I can trade my Fennekin to SM, just without it's mega stone (If it got a mega. it won't :p)... but I can't trade my Alolan Fennekin (if it got an alolan form. It won't) to SM.

That kind of divide usually only exists between generations... Heck, the divide caused by megas in Generation 6 turned out pretty bad.

That kind of divide usually only exists between generations... Heck, the divide caused by megas in Generation 6 turned out pretty bad.

And I'm sure they regret nothing given the extra sales they got from the incompatibility. That said, I doubt they'll get Alolan forms. Z-moves most definitely. I am also against changing the typings of the starters. I like how they remained "pure" even in their final stage. I believe that was the concept of the Johto starters too.

I wish the Johto Starters get 'unnatural' typings in a 'natural' manner. Ex. Typhlosion becoming a natural Fire/Water steam volcano (atleast that's better than the proposed Fire/Ground Megas which are just Mini Groudon), a Grass/Fire Meganium which regains its spicy flowers from Bayleef stage, and a Water/Grass swamp crocodile.

But I'm pretty sure GF won't do it.

If the Johto starters were to get Alolan forms, I like the idea of Cyndaquil being a Water-type with bubbles coming out of its back. That just sounds so adorable.

That'd also make Totodile a Grass-type while Chikorita becomes a Fire-type.

Though they're most likely getting their own Z-Moves.

And the Cap Pikachu are permanent forms, yet we're getting a brand new one in USUM. They've opened up the doors for more Alolan forms already.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom