• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why aren't the character specials dubbed?

I think it's mainly because the specials don't tend to feature any new Pokemon or aspects of the new games. They may not see the need to dub these specials when they can focus more on the current series that does promote the current games. Still, it's pretty disappointing that they skip over the specials, especially for fans of these characters.

TPCi probably deems these unnecessary to dub since they aren't part of the main storyline and aren't connected to any movie. Though if they dub 140+ episodes each series you'd think dubbing two extra episodes isn't too much work. It was pretty disappointing when they did dub the incredibly dull XYZ special but not the Cilan special. The XYZ special was only very loosely connected to the main storyline and nothing much happened; seeing Cilan interact with Clemont and Bonnie was far more interesting (IMO at least).

TPCi probably deems these unnecessary to dub since they aren't part of the main storyline and aren't connected to any movie. Though if they dub 140+ episodes each series you'd think dubbing two extra episodes isn't too much work.

Maybe dubbing episodes is more pricey than what we believe, and the dub staff doesn't think there is much point in dubbing those episodes.

They are a nice treat for fans, and it's nice to see new and old generations interacting, but at the end of the day they are only bonus chapters. As you said, they don't contribute much to the plot, and as such... why waste resources for those episodes, considering that they are barely relevant?

Not saying that I wouldn't want to see those episodes dubbed, though. It would be really neat if they were. However, from an economical point of view, they aren't really necessary.

Maybe dubbing episodes is more pricey than what we believe, and the dub staff doesn't think there is much point in dubbing those episodes.

They are a nice treat for fans, and it's nice to see new and old generations interacting, but at the end of the day they are only bonus chapters. As you said, they don't contribute much to the plot, and as such... why waste resources for those episodes, considering that they are barely relevant?

Not saying that I wouldn't want to see those episodes dubbed, though. It would be really neat if they were. However, from an economical point of view, they aren't really necessary.
I agree with your points, but it does make it more baffling to me that they did dub the XYZ special. It didn't contribute anything to the plot (the major events section over at Bulbapedia is empty), and all in all it was less relevant than any of the travel companion specials. I know that's all subjective on my part, I just find it weird the XYZ special got that special treatment.

I think that the XYZ special was dubbed because it did feature Xerneas and Yveltal. It was basically their last chance to promote some sixth generation Pokemon before moving on to SM. It also probably helps that neither Pokemon had much presence in XY and Yveltal didn't have an appearance since the Diancie movie. It's a pretty weak reason, especially when the special wasn't any more connected to the series than the Clemont special probably was, but that's the best reason I could think of as to why they bothered to dub it.

Bill Rogers: Yeah, sadly that episode got passed over in the transition to X&Y in the US. So we never got to dub it.

Hope LaMond: Bill, have you ever tried suggesting that Pokemon USA should try dubbing the episodes that were out for Best Wishes before the XY specials possibly come out in the States? If it goes through then maybe Cartoon Network could air the episodes that were supposed to air before XY as lost episodes of the Black and White series. I would LOVE to see it happen.

Bill Rogers: Believe me, I've asked. It's just not a thing that they are interested in.

It makes you wonder how it is that the dubbers make money. I would have assumed that the network would pay enough for any episode to justify dubbing it.

The sad/annoying part is that they dub (ALMOST) EVERYTHING ELSE. :confused:

Not being able to air them on TV because of they can't fit them in the schedule I can get, but there's nothing stopping them from putting them online like Origins, Generations, and various shorts. o_O

Last edited:
The sad/annoying part is that they dub (ALMOST) EVERYTHING ELSE. :confused:

Not being able to air them on TV because of the Show I can get, but there's nothing stopping them from putting them online like Origins, Generations, and various shorts. o_O

It seems like they just don't care.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom