• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokemon of the Week #57: Corsola

Enzap

No thoughts, head empty
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is Corsola!

250px-222Corsola.png

Among the many round and quirky Pokémon Generation 2 brought us was this little pink and blue Water/Rock type. While it is fairly underwhelming on its own, Corsola mimics real-life coral by joining with its brethren to form impressive undersea structures sturdy enough to build towns on. The most noteworthy example of this is Pacifidlog Town in the Hoenn region. Though Corsola has not received much media attention compared to many other Pokémon, it did appear in the anime as a main member of Misty's team during her time in the Johto region. Corsola is also relevant in Sun and Moon because the new Pokémon Mareanie only appears when a wild Corsola calls for help in an SOS battle due to Corsola being the natural prey of Mareanie.

Like many Rock-types, Corsola is primarily a defensive Pokémon. Its attack stats and speed are very low, and its defense stats, while still not outstanding, are its highest. Despite its mediocre stats, Corsola can make by with its tricky and unique movepool. It can take most hits with Endure and restore its health with Aqua Ring and Recover, as well as heal status conditions with Refresh. It's always a good idea to be careful when using Special Attacks on a Corsola, because its Mirror Coat can deal double the damage it takes assuming it survives the hit.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • Do you think all Pokémon should be useful in battle, or is it ok for some to be weaker?
  • Should Corsola receive either a buff, Mega Evolution, or standard evolution so it can have a higher battle potential?
  • How do you feel about references to Pokémon food chains in Dex entries or other bits of game lore?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:
Pokémon of the Week #1: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, & Venusaur
Pokémon of the Week #2: Scraggy & Scrafty
Pokémon of the Week #3: Gulpin & Swalot
Pokémon of the Week #4: Porygon, Porygon2, & Porygon-Z
Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga
Pokémon of the Week #6: Rufflet & Braviary
Pokémon of the Week #7: Ditto
Pokémon of the Week #8: Wynaut & Wobbuffet
Pokémon of the Week #9: Sneasel & Weavile
Pokémon of the Week #10: Murkrow & Honchkrow
Pokémon of the Week #11: Houndour & Houndoom
Pokémon of the Week #12: Exeggcute & Exeggutor
Pokémon of the Week #13: Gastly, Haunter, & Gengar
Pokemon of the Week #14: Smoochum & Jynx
Pokémon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross
Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof
Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling & Sawsbuck
Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax
Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff
Pokémon of the Week #20: Nincada, Ninjask, & Shedinja
Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist
Pokémon of the Week #22: Mudkip, Marshtomp, & Swampert
Pokémon of the Week #23: Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pokémon of the Week #24: Rattata & Raticate
Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu
Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, & Ampharos
Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird
Pokémon of the Week #28: Espeon
Pokémon of the Week #29: Rowlet, Dartrix, & Decidueye
Pokémon of the Week #30: Popplio, Brionne, & Primarina
Pokémon of the Week #31: Litten, Torracat, & Incineroar
Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat
Pokémon of the Week #33: Vulpix & Ninetales
Pokémon of the Week #34: Mewtwo
Pokémon of the Week #35: Shellos & Gastrodon
Pokémon of the Week #36: Weedle, Kakuna, & Beedrill
Pokémon of the Week #37: Alomomola
Pokémon of the Week #38: Pidove, Tranquill, & Unfezant
Pokémon of the Week #39: Darkrai
Pokémon of the Week #40: MissingNo.
Pokémon of the Week #41: Pikachu
Pokémon of the Week #42: Bonsly & Sudowoodo
Pokémon of the Week #43: Wingull & Pelliper
Pokémon of the Week #44: Swirlix & Slurpuff
Pokémon of the Week #45: Lotad, Lombre, & Ludicolo
Pokémon of the Week #46: Kangakhan
Pokémon of the Week #47: Riolu and Lucario
Pokémon of the Week #48: Raichu
Pokémon of the Week #49: Magikarp & Gyarados
Pokémon of the Week #50: Horsea, Seadra & Kingdra
Pokémon of the Week #51: Elgyem & Beheeyem
Pokémon of the Week #52: Scyther & Scizor
Pokémon of the Week #53: Crabrawler & Crabominable
Pokémon of the Week #54: Rotom
Pokémon of the Week #55: Numel and Camerupt
Pokémon of the Week #56: Sableye

I've always had a little bit of a soft spot for Corsola. From a fiction perspective it's a particularly useful pokémon, being oceanic but without the usual body plan difficulties that come with fish pokémon. I ended up using one prominently in the tourney arc of my fanfic, partly for those practical reasons, partly because pokémon that don't see much use in game also don't see much use in fanfic.

I don't mind the ecology of Corsola and Mareanie. Despite the gleefully grimdark nature of Sun and Moon overall, this one doesn't strike me as trying too hard. I can't help but feel that Corsola's diet would make a rather more interesting topic. Is it a colonial animal, like mundane corals? Does it filter feed? If so, how does it manage to eat berries?

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I like it but it's not one of my most favourites. I tend to like most Pokemon anyway.
What really amused me about this Pokemon was the in-game trade in Pacifidlog Town (give Bellossom to get Corsola), in Pokemon Sapphire, my first game ever. It was a trade available late in the game, I thought Bellossom was hard to get, Corsola was a Pokemon I've never heard about before, so I thought it would have to be something really good endgame-level thing. I also thought it was a Gen III Pokemon for a while because of this.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Quite lackluster unfortunately, never really went out of my way to use it.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Shell Smash I guess, it's probably a viable way to use it in whatever low tier it's ended up in.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Misty's Corsola was a nice addition to her team. I enjoy how it was part of the main cast that way, what I dislike about it is how Misty's team and the whole Whirl Cup arc was handled in general :(
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Quite rare, people would think it's beautiful and want one, would be almost extinct because of the Mareanie line, so some ecologists would like to preserve it (hopefully with better methods than Aether Foundation's...)
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats and Ability.
Do you think all Pokémon should be useful in battle, or is it ok for some to be weaker?
It is OK for some to be weaker I guess although I'd like it if they could be useful too, would make me more motivated to use them.
Should Corsola receive either a buff, Mega Evolution, or standard evolution so it can have a higher battle potential?
Yes yes yes.
How do you feel about references to Pokémon food chains in Dex entries or other bits of game lore?
I think it might be a little morbid to add in for young children to see, but it's also nice to see the main series set some darker tones once a while.

Corsola is alright. I have nothing against its design. It looks cute. However, I never used it in-game. I doubt it'll be too useful as an in-game Pokemon. I've never used it in competitive play, either, but looking at its stats, it seems to have gotten some defense boots and it has a variety of moves it can learn. I'm sure it could make a great tank/staller/supporter. Natural Cure and Regenerator are decent abilities it can make some good use of (Hustle is garbage). Not bad! I'm looking at it more and more and it seems like something that would be of good use.

I vaguely remember Misty's Corsola. I do not remember how it was represented so I cannot say if I liked it or not. I guess that goes without saying that it was probably a boring character if I don't remember it. I'll remember characters either for the right reasons or the wrong reasons, and if I do not remember them at all, they just never left an impression on me.

If this Pokemon existed in our world, I would imagine it being something gorgeous and commonly seen in aquariums. It would be rare in the wild but it wouldn't be anything dangerous.

I would have mentioned its stats, but the defense stats were boosted and, while not super bulky, it was a nice improvement that makes me want to give it a try. Maybe it could have had a boost in attack power to give it a bit more use.

I think all Pokemon should have some use, despite their stats. Sure, there are better Pokemon out there, but what's the fun in just using what stats dictate? A Pokemon is only as useful as you make it and I've seen people do very well against OU teams using what most people consider "useless."

If Corsola got a larger buff or some kind of evolution, I would like that. I don't think it desperately needs either, but it would be nice.

I guess Game Freak wanted to give Pokemon a more "natural" foodchain, which would include predator/prey scenarios. Not everything in nature is pretty. I am not too much against this as it fleshes out the Pokemon world into something that people would be able to understand. Besides, Gen VII was not the first generation to include predator/prey 'dex entries, so them going with a Pokedex entry like the one given for Corsola didn't really surprise me too much nor did it disturb me.

How do you feel about references to Pokémon food chains in Dex entries or other bits of game lore?
It's an interesting concept and I'd love to see more of it through various forms including SOS battles.

I like Corsola because I think it is very cute, but I've had bad luck with its shiny because my pokemon seem to love to crit it. I'd like to see Corsola get different forms because there are tons of different shapes of coral.

• Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
It's very cute and I really like its design and concept. But...

• How is this Pokémon in-game?
...it's basically useless. Very frail and weak.

• How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
I'm not a big competitive player, but I'd bet money that Corsola is very low-tier.

• How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
I believe, much as described in the Pokemon world, it would live in coral reefs in plentiful, pretty-pink, oceanic communities. It would be a pretty tourist attraction. Like whale-watching, many people would likely travel to areas with a lot of coral to see the cute Corsala hanging about. Corsola would probably be the subject of many beach-side, decorative, glass souvenirs.

• If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
I'd either give it an evolution or make it stronger on its own. I would boost its current 410 BST up to at least 470, giving it an all around buff. It could also use a few more moves, like: Shell Smash and Aqua Jet. But the stat boost is most important. If I stuck with my suggestion of 470 BST, then I'd suggest adding 15 points to Defense and Special Defense, and 10 points to Attack, Special Attack, and HP. That would be solid.

• Do you think all Pokémon should be useful in battle, or is it ok for some to be weaker?
I feel like all fully evolved Pokemon should be useful in battle, at least strong enough to handle the main game/story. Corsola falls a little short in that respect, especially considering that it's somewhat rare.

• Should Corsola receive either a buff, Mega Evolution, or standard evolution so it can have a higher battle potential?
Yes, definitely. See my suggested buff above.

• How do you feel about references to Pokémon food chains in Dex entries or other bits of game lore?
It's pretty cool, actually. Wouldn't mind seeing more. Just don't get too much more dark on us, GF :ROFLMAO:

This Pokémon is just terrible. Bland design, horrid stats, etc. Its movepool is actually pretty decent, having Earth Power, Ice Beam, Scald, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Power Gem, Calm Mind, etc., and even a few cool physical options like Head Smash and Liquidation. A Hustle-boosted STAB Head Smash sounds scary, and probably would be on anything else. Too bad its offensive stats are utterly abysmal. Yeah, this thing is horrible even in PU.

A Pokémon's main purpose is to battle, and if it can't even do it on a basic level, it's a waste of space. And Corsola doesn't even have a good design or unique gimmick, so this is definitely one of the worst Pokémon of all time.

Last edited:
I distinctly remember hearing somewhere about how Corsola's Head Smash could 1HKO a Dragonite through its Multiscale after boosts from Hustle and a Choice Band.
Sure, you've gotta land the hit and the recoil will seriously sting, but I've always thought that's a lot of power to come from such a weak mon.

Funny enough I spend a lot of time thinking about Corsola. In Pokemon Ruby there was a woman who would trade her Corsola for your Bellossom. I really wanted that Corsola since I had never seen one in the game but I didn't want to trade away by Bellossom since I had only ever found one Sun Stone. Having heard about how Pacifidlog Town was built over Corsola colonies I spent literal weeks fishing there hoping to finally reel in one of them. At one point I finally got the idea to temporarily do the trade and see just where Corsola are found. It turns out Corsola can only be fished up around the Evergrande City area. That bugged me for a long time. Why even mention that Corsola nest in the area and not make them obtainable there?! It's even worse that you never see anyone use a Corsola so that you can confirm for yourself where they can be caught at. Ever since them Corsola have popped up in my adventures from time to time even being one of the shiny Pokemon I managed to fish up in XY.

Corsola is an small but funny design, despite being pink and having a similar face to other pink Pokemon from gen I she manages to be unique with her rocky structure and her corals. Of course, she is not as pretty as real life corals, but she is definetely something I'd like to find when diving. There is a lot of room for improving the design with Megas and variants, but if she stays that way I'm not complaining.

In the anime, I liked that she was Misty's powerhouse even if it was just for a season, shw was quite badass. I would've liked to see her in Serena's team, she would have made beautiful combinations and Stone Edge would look more natural coming from her rather than Pancham.

In the games, I never caught one in Emerald, so I always look forward to reel her in, and I liked that she appeared in both SM and XY. She could appear in surf encounters through. Her relationship with Mareanie is sad, but it gives her some focus so I approve.

Corsola looks cute, but sadly it isn't at all useful in battle. Its movepool is actually rather diverse, but its stats and typing let it down horribly. I don't remember any in-game trainers using one in Johto and Hoenn games, so maybe they also find Corsola difficult to use.

Corsola is adorable. Its design is maybe a bit too simple, especially when there's some really fun looking coral out there, but I'm not going to complain when it's by no means bad, and especially when it's as cute as it is.

I only really began appreciating it since Megas arrived, since I was hoping it would be one to get a fabulous Mega, but sadly it didn't happen. Then I hoped it would be given the Alolan form treatment (one for each island like Oricorio) but again it wasn't meant to be. The same thing happened with Dodrio - I wanted Game Freak to give it something so much that in the end I ended up liking it just how it is. At least they gave it some stat boosts this generation (+30), and with it having things like Recover, Regenerator and the ever obnoxious Scald it isn't as terrible as it would seem. I used one in a recent play of Gen 2 on the VC and it was pretty good with Surf and Recover. Sadly, there's plenty of other Water types that are better, even with the positives it has (great abilities and wide movepool), so maybe Game Freak will consider giving it another buff in future generations.

I love the relationship with Mareanie/Toxapex, even down to how you encounter Mareanie. Sure it's a bit time consuming, but it at least keeps consistency with the food chain Game Freak created. I hope there's more of these in future, it really fleshes out Pokemon that previously seemed quite unimportant or minor.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom